IGNORED

The Duggar conundrum

flipflop

I have stepsons around his age who have degrees, jobs that were not handed to them by a parent, and know better than to make fun of children with disabilities. :?

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I agree to some extent with flipflop. I am very against the things that their parents teach, but I have grown to adore their children, even the little bratty ones. Compared to children their age that I know, they seem exceedingly well behaved. Even Josh, though he's a little annoying, is a nice guy on the whole. I can't say that for many 25 year old guys I know. I think, especially with their travelling and publicity over the past few years, the majority of them will escape the cult that they were raised in and probably go on to be pretty well adjusted adults.

Wow, you must live in the most horrible place on Earth if all the young men around you are worse than Smuggar. I hope to never encounter such a place.

I don't think the Duggar children are demons, but they are not well-behaved. As for this:

Is it opposite day? I mean, there is not a real job between 21 of them.

Bizarro Duggars!

eta: I go to school with a lot of 23 year olds of both genders (who could easily be my kids). Since I'm an outsider in their world for the most part (aside from the fact we all study the same subject), I can say that these young adults are far and above anything Smuggar could ever hope to attain i terms of manners, intellect and ambition. Some come from families with money, but many of the kids I've met, especially in my Ed classes, are the first members of their family to go to college. The interactions I've had with the latter group have been most gratifying; I can get a glimpse into what the world is like in a world in which they had to earn everything they have.

Unlike Prince Smuggar who has "worked" two days this year: one day to go to court to get the zoning for another piece of Boob's property that will be the new car lot (replacing Tico Taco) and a half day's credit for the other day when he went to the auction. He gets another half day because he was at the new lot when it was being painted, but since JD was doing the actual WORK while Smuggar took pictures and fucked around on his iphone, he can't earn full credit for a real work day.

I'm glad the kids are rowdy. When the Duggars first came on TV, the kids were like little robots. maybe it was because they were shy around the cameras, but maybe it was because they were more strictly handled by their parents, overly strictly. Some degree of howling is normal and I like seeing them be normal kids that get into mischief.

However, the problem with this as I see it is that their mischiefness (sp) is turning into Bratty- Privileged-Child Syndrome, where they think they're better than others and act on it.

I'm glad the kids are rowdy. When the Duggars first came on TV, the kids were like little robots. maybe it was because they were shy around the cameras, but maybe it was because they were more strictly handled by their parents, overly strictly. Some degree of howling is normal and I like seeing them be normal kids that get into mischief.

No one is saying it's a bad thing (while I normally think behavior like their's is a bad thing, in this specific family it probably is better than the robot-children alternative), only that their behavior contradicts the claim that the Duggar's raise polite, well-mannered children.

I'm glad the kids are rowdy. When the Duggars first came on TV, the kids were like little robots.

I feel the same way, at least they show something GENUINE there.

But I feel the same way as the Original Poster. I didn't see the true ugly until you all exposed Josh and his instagram and then the level of ignorance and backwoods idiot came out. Not I can't see any of them the same way, especially with them on the Santorum bandwagon. I am in DISBELIEF that they would get so up close and personal with any candidate, and use their name and status that way- and drag those little children around too, who probably have little idea or care about any of this.

I think they are a GORGEOUS family on the outside, I agree with their view on modesty (even though I don't think it should just be restricted to just skirts), and am just in some way fascinated with all of the changes they have made as the show has progressed (like their style for example) and the fiasco that is Jubilee. I am curious to see how this season of the show goes, how TLC handles it, but am so disgusted by all that has come out recently about them that I don't want to give them the ratings. I really wish the show would end, I don't know what other defrauding things they can do at this point...

Kids will be kids. When you have a large group of (largely) unsupervised kids who have no routine or direction, they are going to be rowdy. It isn't their fault.

But the belief among the Duggar fans that the kids are "so polite,so respectful, so well-behaved" is just ludicrous.

I'm not against homeschooling because it is actually what is best for some children. HOWEVER, the thing that is troubling with the Duggars is that they teach their children what they want them to know. Back when I use to watch the show, I remember the Duggars taught their children about the theory of Evolution BUT then they also made sure that they told them that it's not the right way to think.

There is no freedom of thought at all...it's quite sad!

Leaving the comments about the howler monkeys aside for a moment:

I grew up in a (fundy) community where the children were considered to be 'so polite, so respectful, so well-behaved'. If we weren't behaved like that (at least in the presence of adults), we were quickly 'corrected' with a wooden spoon/cricket bat/polypipe. 'Well behaved' children aren't necessarily a product of anyone doing anything right, they can just as easily be a product of the ugliness. Just saying.

Jim Bob & Michelle going from claiming to be Quiverfull to saying they aren't part of any movement. "We've heard of the Quiverfull movement", he says. Dude, you had a link to Quiverfull.com on the front page of your website!

:shock: REALLY? He actually said that? Wow, they're getting more and more blatant with their lying every day, aren't they?

:shock: REALLY? He actually said that? Wow, they're getting more and more blatant with their lying every day, aren't they?

Linksie pretty please, Jessica? *wants to see*

No, but I think that he is generally better off than a lot of people I know. I also think that if he broke with the church and distanced himself from Jim Bob, he wouldn't be quite so "smug."

do they guys you know just plain hit their pregnant gf? Because trailing your pregnant wife on an overcrowded bus with 12 children, making her sleep in the room leading to the bathroom when more than 20 people are sleeping in the house, trailing her for signing event when she's over 33 weeks pregnant, not give her a hand to get down the bus but rather let her carry the first baby you conceived and a couple of items... without mentioning sleeping when your wife is getting ready to push the baby out... yeah really I can see how guys who hit their pregnant partners are worse...

There is nothing wrong with rowdy kids. While there are many things that I dislike about the Duggar's - I like that those little kids are able to run around and play outside and seem to genuinely enjoy themselves. I would be much more concerned if they were sitting there like stepford children.

Just because we have all been trained to believe that the "best" children sit quietly for long periods of time doesn't make it right.

Just because we have all been trained to believe that the "best" children sit quietly for long periods of time doesn't make it right.

Because destroying the house and attacking each other is so mucch better.

I agree to some extent with flipflop. I am very against the things that their parents teach, but I have grown to adore their children, even the little bratty ones. Compared to children their age that I know, they seem exceedingly well behaved. Even Josh, though he's a little annoying, is a nice guy on the whole. I can't say that for many 25 year old guys I know. I think, especially with their travelling and publicity over the past few years, the majority of them will escape the cult that they were raised in and probably go on to be pretty well adjusted adults.

Where the heck do you live Devils Island? Josh is a racist lout, and inconsiderate husband, and a lazy unfeeling cad.

If I were you I'd move.

JD's been hinky since that photo where he was severely mishandling a gun with their exchange student. I know we tend to characterize JD as "one of the good ones" because he's so quiet, but we really don't know much about him and I don't think there's ever been evidence that he's any better than Josh or JB.

Isn't it Jordyn or Jennifer who can't speak well so bacially just screams until her sister-mother gets her what she wants? Not her fault (I'd be frustrated too if I couldn't speak) but certainly doesn't reflect well on the family.

Admittedly, JD just turned 22 and is probably kind of a fucking idiot in that respect. I can't really blame him for being a fucking idiot, either, growing up in an environment like that and being forced to stay in it or else.

Jordyn at least does speak now, not on the show but in another video where Michelle gives some reporter a tour of the house. So any screaming they do is probably the result of them being ignored.

This family in general is just plain rude and disrespectful. They have no good qualities as far as I'm concerned.

Yup. That sums it up.

Admittedly, JD just turned 22 and is probably kind of a fucking idiot in that respect. I can't really blame him for being a fucking idiot, either, growing up in an environment like that and being forced to stay in it or else.

True but that excuse isn't going to hold for much longer. He's been an adult for 4 years now and he can be held accountant for holding to or rejecting his parent's beliefs. He's also had his own business for quite a while and it's getting to the point (if it hasn't already) where he has the ability to be financially self-sufficient. After that happens, it's completely a choice to stay in the movement.

True but that excuse isn't going to hold for much longer. He's been an adult for 4 years now and he can be held accountant for holding to or rejecting his parent's beliefs. He's also had his own business for quite a while and it's getting to the point (if it hasn't already) where he has the ability to be financially self-sufficient. After that happens, it's completely a choice to stay in the movement.

If he had any decency, he'd move out so Jackson could finally get a bed.

Sorry, but being a racist, sexist, homophobic, lazy, hateful, Grade-A jackass who eats his weight in food each day just doesn't define "nice guy" to me.

Archived