IGNORED

Lowe's pulls ads from All-American Muslim.

dawn9476

Guest Anonymous
What's great is when you use a thread about a display of anti-Muslim bigotry to display anti-Muslim bigotry.

At least it can't be said you're off-topic!

:clap:

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply
You posted while I was writing, so what Western values are Muslims not accepting that you think they should? There are also a fair number of Western people who are Muslims, but still Western.
Or heck, let's open it up a bit - what exactly does it mean to assimilate? What would non-assimilation mean? For any immigrant, really?

I don't want anyone dictating to me what language I can speak on my own time or what shops I can set up catering to my tastes. I don't want anyone telling me I have to pretend to be Christian because that's what the majority is.

Lots of people move to a place and are able to interact just fine with the local populace in the local language, but on their own free time, prefer to speak something else and consume other media products. In 2011 the world is pretty small, what with the internet (including Amazon!) and cheap plane tickets, there's no need for people to cut off all ties to their "other" country anymore.

Going in the other direction, plenty of American expats form enclaves of English speakers that shop in expensive specialty stores for American processed food products, send their kids to "international" schools (which teach only in English, in reality), have jobs for US multinationals where they only speak English on the job, and watch American media. Is it really so different?

I'm certainly in favor of "move somewhere, learn the language" (if you can) but that doesn't need to mean giving up your other language, which means you'll hear plenty of foreign languages on the street as time goes by. At least near me, a lot of the "but they won't assimilate" ends up being about people annoyed that they see people "acting foreign" on their own time, and that there are stores that (gasp!) don't cater to them (no one is excluded, but the shop doesn't bother with English - if you can speak the language of the store or don't care about possible communication difficulty, come on in).

I CAN understand the idea of "you can't retain customs that would break the actual local laws of the country you've moved to," and yes, I see people asking for religious exemptions. I am not religious, so often think, well, perhaps religious affiliation shouldn't be given any particular weight over any other choice - people can choose a religion. But of course that's my own biased POV. If implemented though, right away you have majority religion members complaining that THEY are running afoul of that law. Recall the suggestion of banning crucifix jewelry in France, or how heated the arguments over mandatory prayer in school or the conscientious exemption for pharmacists can get in the US.

never shopped at Lowe's anyway.

The only (seemingly) valid criticisms of this show was exactly what has been mentioned - specific sect with "moderate" (i.e. "acceptable to general viewing public or 'safe'") muslims living out mostly westernized or "normal" lives - like they're trying to pacify the bigots who've boycotted them by saying "see - normal - nothing to see here, they even play football!". But hey, it's TLC, so much for diversity within communities or dealing with any real issues. I also live in Toronto where multiculturalism seems to work very well - yes, there are insular communities (heck, my husband is ethnically Ukrainian and that's a very closed community in some ways) - but as long as no one encroaches on anyone else's rights it's all good.

Any "family association" seems to be a small minded paranoid Christian hate group...the've got their "real Christian agenda" that we should be worried about much more than any Islamic one.

If you could put together an ideal cast for the show, who would you include?

My ideal cast would include both Sunni and Shia, and they would be from all different races. Asian, Arab, African-American , all different races instead of just Arab Shia.

I think we are coming at this from two very different angles. Canada has a long history of (sometimes forced) multiculturalism. Without it, Canada would cease to exist as we know it. Hell, I wouldn't exist as I come from two slightly different cultures (Irish Protestant and non-Irish Catholic, uh-oh). I realize immigration into Europe is (arguably) a relatively new thing and thus there are some growing pains. It isn't even perfect in Canada, but we try. Basically, with falling birth rates in the West we need immigration in order to keep our population growing and stable. Japan is quite isolationist and they are suffering the consequences of that policy. You could say that multiculturalism is unnecessary for immigration and you could be right, but then I don't think you would be able to attract immigrants.

Anyway, I think that multiculturalism has worked out quite well in Canada. It's not perfect (what it?) but over all, I think it's good.

You posted while I was writing, so what Western values are Muslims not accepting that you think they should? There are also a fair number of Western people who are Muslims, but still Western.

I could have typed that exact post, I agree with it so much. Well, except I'm Irish Catholic and Non-Irish Protestant.

But yeah, it's working well for Canada, not perfect, but still very well. Except for the people who insist that multiculturalism is bad and only while, Europeans should immigrate, but they have problems.

Since I was bored I went back to the Lowes page. Bad decision. Cynthia B. Decided that the best use of her time today would be telling a whole bunch of Islamaphobic jokes. So I headed over to her fb page. People who inspire Cynthia: Jesus. Way to represent.

Since I was bored I went back to the Lowed page. Bad decision. Cynthia B. Decided that the best use of her time today would be telling a whole bunch of Islamaphobic jokes. So I headed over to her fb page. People who inspire Cynthia: Jesus. Way to represent.

A quick peek tells me the whole thing has really just become a giant orgy of hate. I hope those hating on others are robbed of their happy ending.

I have a problem with the leftist indoctrination that provides you with the "right" answers and allows no variety of thought. Also I have problems with Muslims who live in Western societies and refuse to adapt to Western values, yes.

I agree with you AnnaLena.

OK, I tried googling the disadvantages/downside to multiculturalism and all I can turn up is bunch of stuff that makes no sense and is incredibly racist. So can the people who are arguing this help me out? What are the disadvantages of multiculturalism? What "Western values" are Muslims failing to adapt to? And why is leftist indoctrination not working since clearly people still have a variety of thoughts (see: annalena and fakepigtails73)?

P.S. Fakepigtails73 where'd your picture go? I liked it!

Nope, the older poster named FakePigtails has a cute pic of Josie.

I noticed her poster name after I registered...If there is a way to change my name without registering anew I'd do it!

I feel like an imposter,lol!

OK, I tried googling the disadvantages/downside to multiculturalism and all I can turn up is bunch of stuff that makes no sense and is incredibly racist. So can the people who are arguing this help me out? What are the disadvantages of multiculturalism? What "Western values" are Muslims failing to adapt to? And why is leftist indoctrination not working since clearly people still have a variety of thoughts (see: annalena and fakepigtails73)?

P.S. Fakepigtails73 where'd your picture go? I liked it!

And how is multiculturalism about one right answer but "I want everyone to adopt western culture" not about one right answer?

So, just for fun, here are some actual you know STATISTICS on halal and kosher slaughter, just to show it's no more inhumane than normal slaughter.

Slaughter without stunning is controversial from an animal welfare standpoint. When this subject is being discussed it is essential to consider species differences between cattle and sheep. Welfare issues are greater for cattle because they take longer to become unconscious compared to sheep. When both carotid arteries are severed, sheep will lose sensibility within 2 to 14 seconds (Newhook and Blackmore 1982, Gregory and Wotton 1984, Nangeroni and Kennett 1963, Schulz et al 1978, Blackmore 1984). Most sheep will be insensible within 10 seconds. Calves and cattle take a longer period of time to become insensible and they are more likely to have a prolonged period of insensibility. The time to loss of insensibility when good cutting technique is used will range from 17 sec to 85 sec (Blackmore 1984, Blackmore et al 1983l, Gregory and Wotton, 1984, Grandin 2010, Daly et al 1988, Gregory et al 2010). Some cattle may have prolonged periods of sensibility lasting up to 385 seconds (Blackmore, 1984). When good technique is used the average time to collapse is 17 seconds (Grandin 2910). Both scientific research and practical experience indicate that cattle have more problelms with prolonged periods of sensibility compared to sheep. Another problem in cattle is occlusion of the carotids which can occur after the act (Gregory 2010). This problem is less likely to occur in sheep and goats. Occlusions caused by false aneuryms do not occur in sheep and goats (N. Gregory, Personal Communication in 2011).

Source: http://www.grandin.com/ritual/welfare.d ... attle.html

So on average, when proper technique is used, the animal is aware for less than 20 seconds. Hardly some sort of cruel, inhumane practice.

Also, I call shenanigans on most places using halal meat because halal meat is hella expensive.

I noticed her poster name after I registered...If there is a way to change my name without registering anew I'd do it!

Oh, OK! Don't feel like an imposter, you have the numbers and I should be more observant.

My ideal cast would include both Sunni and Shia, and they would be from all different races. Asian, Arab, African-American , all different races instead of just Arab Shia.

I'd watch that.

So, just for fun, here are some actual you know STATISTICS on halal and kosher slaughter, just to show it's no more inhumane than normal slaughter.

Source: http://www.grandin.com/ritual/welfare.d ... attle.html

So on average, when proper technique is used, the animal is aware for less than 20 seconds. Hardly some sort of cruel, inhumane practice.

Also, I call shenanigans on most places using halal meat because halal meat is hella expensive.

Yeah, but it also broadens their customer base. Which is a good thing.

I'd watch that.

I would like to see big city vs. small town, Northern US vs. Southern US as well. So many everyday Muslims in the US and so many experiences. I want more!

Very very few delis around here offer halal meat. Even in places with higher Muslim populations it was hard to find halal meat. They just can't afford to keep it stocked.

I would like to see big city vs. small town, Northern US vs. Southern US as well. So many everyday Muslims in the US and so many experiences. I want more!

That would be cool. Maybe NYC vs. Dallas.

While waiting for people to tell me why multiculturalism is so bad I headed back over to Lowes but this time to look at their pictures. They have a really cool wreath that I now want to make over the holidays.

wreath-1.jpg

Looks snazzy. It uses leftover wrapping paper which I think is a neat idea.

*waits for reasons multiculturalism is bad*

Edited to try and make the picture smaller.

Don't worry, it's no problem (unless you use my avatar or something very similar to it, that'd be really confusing!) :)

While waiting for people to tell me why multiculturalism is so bad I headed back over to Lowes but this time to look at their pictures. They have a really cool wreath that I now want to make over the holidays.

wreath-1.jpg

Looks snazzy. It uses leftover wrapping paper which I think is a neat idea.

*waits for reasons multiculturalism is bad*

Edited to try and make the picture smaller.

Insructions here!

http://blog.al.com/bargain-mom/2011/12/ ... oject.html

Archived