IGNORED

Lowe's pulls ads from All-American Muslim.

dawn9476

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Lowe's facebook page is the most depressing thing. About 10% reasonable humans, 90% bigoted assholes.

Those comments are terrible. All the people quoting the Quran should probably read the Bible as well. It's not exactly a shining beacon of peace, tolerance, and anti-violence. Some of the comments are just so stupid. Like this one:

The founding fathers formed the United States Marine Corps to deal with the problem of the Muslim Pirates that were murdering and kidnapping Merchant Sailors in the name of Allah. I think the founding Fathers understood the problem quite well.

I believe It because there is Random capitalization that Has nothing To do with Anything. Stupid people. Does anyone know why people keep spelling Muslim "Mooslem" or other things? I know those are older spellings but why do they insist on using them?

Those comments are terrible. All the people quoting the Quran should probably read the Bible as well. It's not exactly a shining beacon of peace, tolerance, and anti-violence. Some of the comments are just so stupid. Like this one:

I believe It because there is Random capitalization that Has nothing To do with Anything. Stupid people. Does anyone know why people keep spelling Muslim "Mooslem" or other things? I know those are older spellings but why do they insist on using them?

Wow, it was disturbing over there! Lowe's should be ashamed of themselves. They're majorly legitimizing that hateful crap (crap isn't nearly a strong enough word for it . . .).

As to the bolded, I'm guessing for the same reason people say "Barack HUSSEIN Obama" - to be dicks.

Does anyone know why people keep spelling Muslim "Mooslem" or other things? I know those are older spellings but why do they insist on using them?

Just to annoy Muslims. Islamophobes will do anything to annoy us. Some say mooslems, some make jokes about naming their pet pig Mohamed (I saw that one a few times on the Lowe's page) others start talking about wearing bedsheets and rags. All of it is just to annoy and provoke Muslims and Muslim supporters.

I seriously should not have gone to the Lowe's page. All those comments!

Just to annoy Muslims. Islamophobes will do anything to annoy us. Some say mooslems, some make jokes about naming their pet pig Mohamed (I saw that one a few times on the Lowe's page) others start talking about wearing bedsheets and rags. All of it is just to annoy and provoke Muslims and Muslim supporters.

It really doesn't reflect well on Lowe's that they're allowing their page to be a platform for such disgusting hateful comments. In addition to the bad reflection their original statement about dropping their ads on the show, of course.

It really doesn't reflect well on Lowe's that they're allowing their page to be a platform for such disgusting hateful comments. In addition to the bad reflection their original statement about dropping their ads on the show, of course.

Yes!

As someone living in an extremely multicultural area, I think it's important to separate out legitimate expressions of culture and religion from things which have an unacceptable impact on others.

Wearing hijab - fine if that's what a woman wants to do

Harassing someone without a hijab - unacceptable

Noise violation - should have worked with zoning to avoid excess noise in residential area

Restaurants serving halal meat - suck it up, restaurants are private businesses, and there is no "right" to force a private business to serve your meat preferences. BTW, I know that in North America, it's quite possible that meat sold to non-kosher customers may have undergone kosher slaughter, since the rear of the cow is not used, and any meat which passes federal inspection but fails the glatt kosher standard is also sold as non-kosher.

No English spoken in public on the streets - again, suck it up. This would describe many areas in Toronto. In a free country, people get to choose what language they use. One of the reasons that we know so many people who moved away from Quebec was the draconian language laws that they had there.

Petition at the public school - public officials should not have given into the pressure, and made it clear that in the public system, it's unlawful to discriminate.

Another QFT as I also live in a very multicultural area, and go to a very multicultural University. I call bullshit on "oh, but no one speaks English on the streets and the restaurants only serve halal" too. Seriously? How is either of those a problem at all? Daenerys, You forgot to add #whiteamericanproblems to the end of your post.

Went to a Fundy church not to long ago, first (and hopefully last) time I have ever heard someone refer to Muslims as "Mohammedans". I had to actively bite my tongue to stop myself from jumping up mid-sermon to call out the pastor.

As someone living in an extremely multicultural area, I think it's important to separate out legitimate expressions of culture and religion from things which have an unacceptable impact on others.

Wearing hijab - fine if that's what a woman wants to do

Harassing someone without a hijab - unacceptable

Noise violation - should have worked with zoning to avoid excess noise in residential area

Restaurants serving halal meat - suck it up, restaurants are private businesses, and there is no "right" to force a private business to serve your meat preferences. BTW, I know that in North America, it's quite possible that meat sold to non-kosher customers may have undergone kosher slaughter, since the rear of the cow is not used, and any meat which passes federal inspection but fails the glatt kosher standard is also sold as non-kosher.

No English spoken in public on the streets - again, suck it up. This would describe many areas in Toronto. In a free country, people get to choose what language they use. One of the reasons that we know so many people who moved away from Quebec was the draconian language laws that they had there.

Petition at the public school - public officials should not have given into the pressure, and made it clear that in the public system, it's unlawful to discriminate.

I think I should clarify here:

The thing about the Mosque is that it couldn't not be in a residential area, and the last thing the council wants is Muslim ghettos. I believe in Holland they banned the call to prayer from the tower completely, and whilst I don't think it should go that far the normal 11pm-7am ban on excessive noise should apply. If you can't wake up at 4am to pray without a siren blaring then that's your problem.

I don't think anyone HAS to cater to my food preferances in public. The point I was trying to make is that the laws relating to animal slaughter exist to protect their welfare and prevent suffering. They are meant to be universal but there are religious exceptions. However, if Halal meat becomes universal, then it completely undermines the point of even having such a law. The religious exemption was put in place for the minority who wish to follow it and it was expected to remain a minority, but my city has such a large Muslim population that it no longer is. I take issue partly because no one outside of Islam is taught what Halal is or how it is different from conventional modern slaughter, and I think that if they were there would be a much stronger objection. Ignorance should not be used to prevent confrontation on such an issue.

I didn't mean they didn't speak English to each other - I mean there is a whole group of people who refuse to speak or learn English at all, and hence refuse to engage with white British people. My friend was an IT repairman and went to repair a computer at the doctor's surgery, which in England is a public building. He was with an Asian colleague, and the staff who were also Asian refused to acknowledge his presence and spoke only in their native tongue to exclude him. This used to happen repeatedly until he gave up and left his job. I don't care what language people want to speak to each other, but this is England, so if you are in a job dealing with the public I expect to be able to speak in English.

Oh and just a few months ago, a white British girl was attacked in a racially aggravated assault in the city centre by a gang of Somali Muslim girls, who beat and kicked her whilst screaming 'kill the white slag'. They weren't even jailed, partly because they were Muslims and hence weren't used to drinking alcohol. http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... FREED.html

Home Depot should immediately jump in and take those spots, if they have any advertising smarts.

That would be smart indeed, from an advertising point.

While I don't want to interrupt everyone cheering about multiculturalism, I know I'm gonna get hate for this, but I am not a fan of this show. I think Lowe's should not have advertised there in the first place vs. pulling the ads later, and I am no fan of crazy "family" associations either that only support 1 man-1woman-2 kids-families, but people are underestimating (fundamentalist) Islam's powers.

We'll talk in 10-15 years.

I used to be multiculturalism's biggest fan, but it doesn't exactly seem to be working. Anywhere. It's like a nice fairy tale, the Blacks and the Whites and the Asians and the Hispanics and however I forgot, the Christians and the Muslims and the Atheists getting along so nicely.

Just, it's not happening.

Thanks for answering my question. Is it true though that those are the older spellings? I seem to remember reading them in old things but I can't quite remember. I'm sorry you have to read things like that. Facebook really makes me lose my faith in humanity sometimes.

Thanks for answering my question. Is it true though that those are the older spellings? I seem to remember reading them in old things but I can't quite remember. I'm sorry you have to read things like that. Facebook really makes me lose my faith in humanity sometimes.

Moslem is definitely a spelling you will find in old texts, but not any others as far as I know. It's like how 'today' used to be spelled 'to-day'.

I believe it's because "Muslim" is the spelling most Muslims prefer, and the kind of person who writes "Mooslem" is the kind of person who doesn't give a shit what minority groups prefer to be called, and wants them to know it. It's a bigotry dogwhistle, I think.

While I don't want to interrupt everyone cheering about multiculturalism, I know I'm gonna get hate for this, but I am not a fan of this show.

Honestly, I'm not much of a fan either. The cast isn't that great since they only portray Arab Shia Muslims in 1 part of the country. there are Muslims of all different races, and Sunnis are far more common than Shia. Plus, it seems like they chose a lot of non-practicing or barely practicing people to be on the show. The coach and his family are the only ones I like LOL.

Honestly, I'm not much of a fan either. The cast isn't that great since they only portray Arab Shia Muslims in 1 part of the country. there are Muslims of all different races, and Sunnis are far more common than Shia. Plus, it seems like they chose a lot of non-practicing or barely practicing people to be on the show. The coach and his family are the only ones I like LOL.

My problem with it is that it is very one-sided, praising how great multiculturalism is.

If you could put together an ideal cast for the show, who would you include?

My problem with it is that it is very one-sided, praising how great multiculturalism is.

How would you prefer they show it? Most shows generally have one angle they don't have time for everything so it ends up one sided. It's like a newspaper who recently ran an editorial of the dark side of [redacted] and everyone flipped out over how biased and it was and that it did not present both sides. They don't have to, especially because [redacted] is always shown in a wonderful light. If you want to see the "other" side please see the Lowe's facebook page. There, both sides. Also, what's wrong with multiculturalism?

How would you prefer they show it? Most shows generally have one angle they don't have time for everything so it ends up one sided. It's like a newspaper who recently ran an editorial of the dark side of [redacted] and everyone flipped out over how biased and it was and that it did not present both sides. They don't have to, especially because [redacted] is always shown in a wonderful light. If you want to see the "other" side please see the Lowe's facebook page. There, both sides. Also, what's wrong with multiculturalism?

What's wrong with multiculturalism is that annalena has problems with muslims.

I shop at Home Depot anyway as the Lowe's is several exits away, but will definitely not be making any attempt to go to Lowe's at all.

As someone who actually lives with the real threat of Fundamentalist Islam around me, I find this doubly offensive.

Maybe I should take the uber-white AFA to Spinney Hill, where a woman in less than a headscarf is liable to be mobbed and no one speaks English in public, and all the shop-fronts are Arabic only. Or Evington, where in summer everyone is woken by the call to prayer at around 4am as the sirens blare out from the Mosque, and despite this being a Public Order Offence the police refuse to stop it. Or to the restaurant district, where few places serve non-halal meat so many of us feel unable to eat non-veggie (Halal requires the animals are slaughtered by having their throat cut whilst conscious). Or even to the primary school my friend was doing reading help at, where she is no longer allowed to go as the parents signed a petition saying it was against their religion to have their sons bow to the authority of a woman, particularly an uncovered heathen.

Yeah, maybe after they've been here, they'll realise the USA isn't so bad after all.

At least in my part of the USA, people seem to have trouble differentiating between fundamentalist Islam and folks like the ones that live in our neighborhoods who are Muslim, but more inclined to seek a good education, raise their families and just generally lead their lives without interference. Because of that, I think folks look at examples such as the ones you give and they see that as the logical outgrowth of ANY support of Muslims practicing their religion publicly. Personally, I think that if a woman wants to wear a headcovering, that's her business,but in some minds, that would be the first step down a slippery slope toward schools such as the one you mention.

Well I'd prefer for it to be balanced. Show well-integrated Muslim families, but also not-well-integrated Muslim families and the issues that multiculturalism can cause, too.

While multiculturalism itself can be discussed, you can support it or not, I have huge issues with it being praised as the only right way to go.

See post above, I used to be its biggest fan (in theory), but have yet to see a society where it works out well.

What's wrong with multiculturalism is that annalena has problems with muslims.

I shop at Home Depot anyway as the Lowe's is several exits away, but will definitely not be making any attempt to go to Lowe's at all.

I have a problem with the leftist indoctrination that provides you with the "right" answers and allows no variety of thought. Also I have problems with Muslims who live in Western societies and refuse to adapt to Western values, yes.

I think we are coming at this from two very different angles. Canada has a long history of (sometimes forced) multiculturalism. Without it, Canada would cease to exist as we know it. Hell, I wouldn't exist as I come from two slightly different cultures (Irish Protestant and non-Irish Catholic, uh-oh). I realize immigration into Europe is (arguably) a relatively new thing and thus there are some growing pains. It isn't even perfect in Canada, but we try. Basically, with falling birth rates in the West we need immigration in order to keep our population growing and stable. Japan is quite isolationist and they are suffering the consequences of that policy. You could say that multiculturalism is unnecessary for immigration and you could be right, but then I don't think you would be able to attract immigrants.

Anyway, I think that multiculturalism has worked out quite well in Canada. It's not perfect (what it?) but over all, I think it's good.

You posted while I was writing, so what Western values are Muslims not accepting that you think they should? There are also a fair number of Western people who are Muslims, but still Western.

What's great is when you use a thread about a display of anti-Muslim bigotry to display anti-Muslim bigotry.

At least it can't be said you're off-topic!

Archived