IGNORED

Lowe's pulls ads from All-American Muslim.

dawn9476

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Since I don't know what to say about this I am going to steal a comment from the article and pretend I'm a Grady.

TLC should do a show about the Florida Family Assoc. and call it

"All American Dickheads"

(I'm not really a fan of that word, but I agree with the sentiment.)

Rock - Hard Place - Lowes (please excuse the Friends reference)

I figured something like this would eventually happen. There are still too many American Christians who still believe that all Muslims are the same.

Florida Family Association, American Family Association . . . I wish these groups would stop having such generic names, because they certainly don't represent the interests of any families I'm familiar with.

Florida Family Association, American Family Association . . . I wish these groups would stop having such generic names, because they certainly don't represent the interests of any families I'm familiar with.

They should call themselves the American Only Families that We Approve of Association.

TLC's fault for trying to show a family with a different religion. This is america family association and we don't stand for tolerance goddamnit!

All American Muslim is one of the MOST family-friendly shows TLC has put out in years. They aren't crazy & fundy (Duggars and to some extent the Rolofs), or bitchy & abusive (kate). I've really liked the people so far, watching them go through certain aspects of their life in their culture. OMG I forgot their not white republican men, nevermind!

"All-American Muslim is propaganda that riskily hides the Islamic agenda’s clear and present danger to American liberties and traditional values," it said."

Sorry but this group is more of a danger to America then any normal Muslim. What are these traditional values? hate others that are not like us? judge all on the basis of a few?

There's a Lowe's maybe a mile from my house, but there's a Home Depot right across the street from Lowe's. Guess which one will be getting my business? Home Depot is much more gay-friendly, too.

Same, the lowes and the home depot where I am currently living are right across from each other. I hope Lowes likes watching me walk into Home Depot.

I guess I'll be going to Home Depot which is a bit farther than my local Lowe's. I don't mind paying for the extra gas, as it means that I get to support a company with a backbone strong enough not to cave to bigoted groups.

Wow, I can't believe this sort of thing happens! This would never happen in the UK, the shit storm would be huge if it did.

Is it really that bad for American Muslims?

This sort of stuff always backfires. Once groups start boycotting advertisers, everyone else jumps in to see what the type is about. It's not the fundies watching the show. IT's curious, open-minded people.

I would expect this sort of thing from Home Depot, but not Lowe's. Shame on them!

As someone who actually lives with the real threat of Fundamentalist Islam around me, I find this doubly offensive.

Maybe I should take the uber-white AFA to Spinney Hill, where a woman in less than a headscarf is liable to be mobbed and no one speaks English in public, and all the shop-fronts are Arabic only. Or Evington, where in summer everyone is woken by the call to prayer at around 4am as the sirens blare out from the Mosque, and despite this being a Public Order Offence the police refuse to stop it. Or to the restaurant district, where few places serve non-halal meat so many of us feel unable to eat non-veggie (Halal requires the animals are slaughtered by having their throat cut whilst conscious). Or even to the primary school my friend was doing reading help at, where she is no longer allowed to go as the parents signed a petition saying it was against their religion to have their sons bow to the authority of a woman, particularly an uncovered heathen.

Yeah, maybe after they've been here, they'll realise the USA isn't so bad after all.

Maybe I should take the uber-white AFA to Spinney Hill, where a woman in less than a headscarf is liable to be mobbed and no one speaks English in public, and all the shop-fronts are Arabic only. Or Evington, where in summer everyone is woken by the call to prayer at around 4am as the sirens blare out from the Mosque, and despite this being a Public Order Offence the police refuse to stop it. Or to the restaurant district, where few places serve non-halal meat so many of us feel unable to eat non-veggie (Halal requires the animals are slaughtered by having their throat cut whilst conscious). Or even to the primary school my friend was doing reading help at, where she is no longer allowed to go as the parents signed a petition saying it was against their religion to have their sons bow to the authority of a woman, particularly an uncovered heathen..

All of that is really bad, but the last part is terrifying.

Halal requires the animals are slaughtered by having their throat cut whilst conscious

Actually, a lot of non-Halal animals are killed the same way commercially. That's not a halal specific thing.

Actually, a lot of non-Halal animals are killed the same way commercially. That's not a halal specific thing.

Maybe in the USA but here there are laws stating most animals (definitely big ones like cows and pigs) MUST be stunned before slaughter, apart from poultry/game I think who usually just have their necks snapped, which is quicker.

Muslims get away with it by claiming religious exception (as do Jews but Kosher is rare outside Golder's Green) which in my opinion undermines the entire point of the law, particularly when it is being sold in a secular environment.

Also, an article about my wonderful home town for you all: http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/edwes ... -europe/... for the record, we are not a totally 'divided' city. As someone said in the comments, the white, black and south asian communities are pretty united in their dislike of the Muslim community.

I thought the issue with Halal was the animal bleeding to death vs. being slaughtered quickly.

yeah slaughterhouses are not a good place.

I thought the issue with Halal was the animal bleeding to death vs. being slaughtered quickly.

Bleeding to death via the jugular is a quick death.

I've slaughtered pigs, cows, chickens... (God, that does make me sound like a hick, doesn't it?) and that was the preferred method because it IS far more humane than a lot of other options. Death is quick.

As someone who actually lives with the real threat of Fundamentalist Islam around me, I find this doubly offensive.

Maybe I should take the uber-white AFA to Spinney Hill, where a woman in less than a headscarf is liable to be mobbed and no one speaks English in public, and all the shop-fronts are Arabic only. Or Evington, where in summer everyone is woken by the call to prayer at around 4am as the sirens blare out from the Mosque, and despite this being a Public Order Offence the police refuse to stop it. Or to the restaurant district, where few places serve non-halal meat so many of us feel unable to eat non-veggie (Halal requires the animals are slaughtered by having their throat cut whilst conscious). Or even to the primary school my friend was doing reading help at, where she is no longer allowed to go as the parents signed a petition saying it was against their religion to have their sons bow to the authority of a woman, particularly an uncovered heathen.

Yeah, maybe after they've been here, they'll realise the USA isn't so bad after all.

As someone living in an extremely multicultural area, I think it's important to separate out legitimate expressions of culture and religion from things which have an unacceptable impact on others.

Wearing hijab - fine if that's what a woman wants to do

Harassing someone without a hijab - unacceptable

Noise violation - should have worked with zoning to avoid excess noise in residential area

Restaurants serving halal meat - suck it up, restaurants are private businesses, and there is no "right" to force a private business to serve your meat preferences. BTW, I know that in North America, it's quite possible that meat sold to non-kosher customers may have undergone kosher slaughter, since the rear of the cow is not used, and any meat which passes federal inspection but fails the glatt kosher standard is also sold as non-kosher.

No English spoken in public on the streets - again, suck it up. This would describe many areas in Toronto. In a free country, people get to choose what language they use. One of the reasons that we know so many people who moved away from Quebec was the draconian language laws that they had there.

Petition at the public school - public officials should not have given into the pressure, and made it clear that in the public system, it's unlawful to discriminate.

That's a shame, since we much prefer Lowe's to Home Depot. We have a Home Depot just down the street but choose to shop at Lowe's due to them having better quality merchandise and offering a more pleasant shopping experience than Home Depot.

I wish I could watch All American Muslim online. We don't have a DVR and I go to bed before the time that it's shown.

I generally ignore any group that is the "_____ Family Association". Our state's conservative wingnuts are more sneaky and call themselves the Family Institute of Connecticut. They bill themselves as existing to "Preserve and Strengthen the Family" - as long as that family includes a married male (who works) and female (who stays home with the kids) and as many children as said couple can possibly have. They are not at all interested in "preserving and strengthening" families with single parents, families with married gay or lesbian couples, couples without children, etc. Their primary goal is to try to repeal our state's laws allowing same sex marriage with a secondary goal to make contraception and abortion illegal. Really it's an umbrella for religious social conservatives who want to make everyone live just like them. :roll:

As someone living in an extremely multicultural area, I think it's important to separate out legitimate expressions of culture and religion from things which have an unacceptable impact on others.

Wearing hijab - fine if that's what a woman wants to do

Harassing someone without a hijab - unacceptable

Noise violation - should have worked with zoning to avoid excess noise in residential area

Restaurants serving halal meat - suck it up, restaurants are private businesses, and there is no "right" to force a private business to serve your meat preferences. BTW, I know that in North America, it's quite possible that meat sold to non-kosher customers may have undergone kosher slaughter, since the rear of the cow is not used, and any meat which passes federal inspection but fails the glatt kosher standard is also sold as non-kosher.

No English spoken in public on the streets - again, suck it up. This would describe many areas in Toronto. In a free country, people get to choose what language they use. One of the reasons that we know so many people who moved away from Quebec was the draconian language laws that they had there.

Petition at the public school - public officials should not have given into the pressure, and made it clear that in the public system, it's unlawful to discriminate.

QFT.

I live in a fairly multicultural area (for Scotland) see shopfronts, leaflets, posters in a multitude of different languages, can be sat on the bus and hear a mix of Scots, Polish, African languages, Arabic, Chinese...and I like it :)

It helps me understand others. Shakes me out of my rural mindset. I have talked now to women who cover and found out about that.

I agree, Daenerys, that some of these things are well out of order. Primary school scenario is one. I have never felt harassed for not covering my hair but that's completely out of order too. So yeah, it is give and take, sounds like where you are there's a bit of a taking element. Chancers, in other words.

Cute multiculti story. I went out to get some milk earlier and a toddler came up to me and said "hat, lady?" Her dad was following behind, he was Chinese and spoke no English. The kid was concerned about my shaved head and was offering me her hat :)

Her dad asked her something and she replied in Chinese and English ("she cold" and then in Chinese) I said "thank you! But you can keep your hat, I am OK!" and said to the dad "Your daughter is so cute!" Dad and kid smiled at me and (alright, it's PMT...) I felt pleased and happy to think of the multilingual Scots of the future.

Archived