IGNORED

Lowe's pulls ads from All-American Muslim.

dawn9476

Thanks for the post--could you also explain how you interpret "and that they should not strike their feet in order to draw attention to their hidden ornaments?"

From what I've read, back in the day, women used to wear a lot of anklets that would make seductive noises, so this was warning them to avoid making too much niose (note, that's just what I've read. Other's may not agree with me.)

Sunnichick31, the way I learned it (and I am by no means an expert) is that those verses call for modesty but do not specifically say that a woman's head must be covered. So I guess what I'm asking is what specifically in those verses leads you to believe that it is mandatory to wear a hijab (I think you wear a niqaab, but I can't remember, sorry)?

Women typically were already wearing headscarves, but they didn't wear them the way Muslims do now, they wore them more like how Jewish women wear tichels, so these verses are more telling us the proper way to wear them (ex-if we draw our veil to cover our chest, then that will also cover our necks and everything else that is supposed to be covered.)

Sunni, what do you do when you are somewhere which requires removal of your niqaab? Say passport checks for example?
I lift it up so that a woman can check my ID.

Sunnichick31 - In my opinion that's the same thing as headcovering Christians telling all other Christians that headcovering is mandatory. That's your interpretation and I fully support your right to wear hijab. However, I have Muslim friends that don't cover and I think it's crappy to holler that they're doing it wrong.

They have their interpretation and I have mine. I'm not going to be all high-and-mighty just because I'm wearing it and they aren't.

I think in Hadith (again, no expert, just an interested lay person) it states that Muhammed said that everywhere should be covered apart from (and pointed to) the face and hands. But there is another Hadith which talks about a woman being behind a veil/curtain.

The one about the face and hands isn't a very strong hadith, not as strong as others, anyway.

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks Sunnichick31 for answering our questions. Do you feel that covering is mandatory for you or mandatory for everyone who is Muslim?

Since I am procrastinating and losing faith in humanity I thought I would select some good comments out of the 28,000 + (!!!) comments from the announcement on Lowe's facebook page. Oh yeah, I am also still waiting on the "why multiculturalism is bad" post.

ROFL. I just went on the Florida Family Association. what a bunch of nutz! they're against just about every show on tv for just about every reason under the sun. Any one who supports them is clearly a nutter with a capital N !!

Let me get this right.. You pull your ads because of racist complaints, yet you maintain that you are committed to diversity?? Just Wow.

as a contractor who has clients that are Muslim, i have decided to end my account with you and all my business due to your discrimination towards Muslims....my business does not know any discrimination, can't say the same for you....your loss, not mine

American values are not Bigotry

I have over 100 Home that I keep Preserved.. I spent over 14K at Lowes this Year.. I will SPEND NOTHING next year..

Wow, I can't believe the rampant, outright prejudice expressed by Lowe's and in several comments here. I wonder how many people know the history of this country, and why people came here in the first place.

And finally:

Remember when this country was founded based on a want of being able to practice your religion freely and without persecution? That being said-As an American citizen, you have every right to pray to whatever god you want to. But the person next to you has that exact same right, and can pray to Allah, Vishnu, or Vanna White if they so choose-And they don't have to answer to anyone for it. So whatever YOUR reason for the season-HAPPY HOLIDAYS!!

There. Not everyone is a terrible human being. The sad thing is, I had to read a lot to get these quotes.

• 2 weeks later...
Since I am procrastinating and losing faith in humanity I thought I would select some good comments out of the 28,000 + (!!!) comments from the announcement on Lowe's facebook page. Oh yeah, I am also still waiting on the "why multiculturalism is bad" post.

And finally:

There. Not everyone is a terrible human being. The sad thing is, I had to read a lot to get these quotes.

Thank you. I just got through reading another article on this on msn and the comments - yeah, if there's faith in humanity it is gone after reading through 6 pages of comments with EVERY SINGLE ONE praising Lowes for being "American" by being hateful bigots. Not what America is freaking supposed to be about. Just disgusting. I should never ever read comments.

It doesn't make logical sense that 65 companies "pulled their ads" from the show.

There are not 65 ads in an hour on any show anywhere. (Okay, maybe the funny commercials specials that come on once in a while.)

They just made a list of people who may advertise on TLC but have never had an ad during AAM, and put them on the list. Liars.

Archived