IGNORED

Lowe's pulls ads from All-American Muslim.

dawn9476

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How is it that Canada can have 5 seasons of LIttle Mosque on the Prairie (or has season 6 started by now??) but the USA can't have more even 5 episodes of AAM and people freak out???

(to any Canadians who watch LMOTP, have Rayaan and Amar gotten married yet? Actually, no, don't spoil it. Or maybe spoil it. Or don't. Or do.)

DID YOU GO TO PACIFIC MALL!?!?!?!? It's a strange place I think but it has good food.

But now I must stop talking to you because you like trains. I hate them (well, not trains specifically, just VIA Rail).

I love Pacific Mall! I jused to go there all the time in highschool :D last year i was there on chrismtas day and it was AWESOME

How is it that Canada can have 5 seasons of LIttle Mosque on the Prairie (or has season 6 started by now??) but the USA can't have more even 5 episodes of AAM and people freak out???

(to any Canadians who watch LMOTP, have Rayaan and Amar gotten married yet? Actually, no, don't spoil it. Or maybe spoil it. Or don't. Or do.)

Yes

They get married on the series finale.

Interesting bit of trivia: The actress who played Rayaan was previously on a cheesy game show called You Bet Your Ass, where she was the sexy assistant in the tight t-shirt. It took me a moment to realize that it was the same person.

Apparently Lowe's is not the only company to pull their ads from the show:

SIXTY FIVE (65) companies that Florida Family Association targeted with emails did NOT advertise again during the only two episodes of All-American Muslim that aired this past week. The following companies did not advertise again during the December 4th and December 5th , 2011 episodes of All-American Muslim: 3M (Command, Scotchbrand tape), Airborne Vitamin, Amway, Anheuser Busch Inbev (Select55), Art Instruction Schools, Bamboozles, Bank of America (Cash Rewards), Bare Escentuals, Brother International (Ptouch), Campbell's Soup, Capital One, Church & Dwight (Oxi Clean, Arm & Hammer), City Furniture, Conagra (Hunt's Diced Tomatoes), Corinthian Colleges (Everst411), Cotton, Inc., Cumberland Packing (Sweet'N Low), Dell computers, Diamond Foods (Kettlebrand Chips), Estee Lauder (Clinique), ET Browe (Palmer's Cocoa butter), Gap, General Motors (Chevy Runs Deep), Good Year, Green Mountain Coffee, Guthy Renker (Proactiv), Hershey kisses, Home Depot, Honda North America, HTC Phones, Ikea, JC Penney, JP Morgan Chase (Chase Sapphire), Kayak.com, Kellogg (Special K), Koa Brands (John Frieda), Leapfrog Enterprise (Leapster Explorer), Mars (Dove Chocolate), McDonald's, Nationwide Insurance, News Corp (We bought a zoo movie), Nintendo (Mariokartz.com), Novartis (Theraflu), Old Navy, Pernod Ricard (Kahlua), Petsmart, Pier One, Pfizer (Centrum vitamin), Procter & Gamble (Align Probiotic, Crest, Febreze, Mr. Clean Magic Eraser, Pur, Tide), Progressive Insurance, Prudential Financial, Radio Shack, Ruth's Chris Steakhouse, SC Johnson (Drano, Glade, Scrubbing Bubbles), Sears , Signet (Kay Jewelers), Sonic Drive-ins, Subaru, THQ (uDraw), T-Mobil, Toyota (Camry), Volkswagen, Vtech (Mobi Go, V Reader), Wal-Mart and Whirlpool (Maytag).

So much for going to Home Depot instead.

I didn't think to pay attention to the commercials (I hate commercials and have a really strong instinct to go away when they come on). Guess I should have. But there were plenty, as usual.

edited for fu

They get married on the series finale.

Interesting bit of trivia: The actress who played Rayaan was previously on a cheesy game show called You Bet Your Ass, where she was the sexy assistant in the tight t-shirt. It took me a moment to realize that it was the same person.

4WTfWhzHEvM

In which Rayaan forgets which show she's on? ( for the non-Canadian this is a Royal Canadian Air Farce skit, Air Farce is a live comedy skit show that only airs on New Years now.)

SIXTY FIVE (65) companies that Florida Family Association targeted with emails did NOT advertise again during the only two episodes of All-American Muslim that aired this past week. The following companies did not advertise again during the December 4th and December 5th , 2011 episodes of All-American Muslim: 3M (Command, Scotchbrand tape), Airborne Vitamin, Amway, Anheuser Busch Inbev (Select55), Art Instruction Schools, Bamboozles, Bank of America (Cash Rewards), Bare Escentuals, Brother International (Ptouch), Campbell's Soup, Capital One, Church & Dwight (Oxi Clean, Arm & Hammer), City Furniture, Conagra (Hunt's Diced Tomatoes), Corinthian Colleges (Everst411), Cotton, Inc., Cumberland Packing (Sweet'N Low), Dell computers, Diamond Foods (Kettlebrand Chips), Estee Lauder (Clinique), ET Browe (Palmer's Cocoa butter), Gap, General Motors (Chevy Runs Deep), Good Year, Green Mountain Coffee, Guthy Renker (Proactiv), Hershey kisses, Home Depot, Honda North America, HTC Phones, Ikea, JC Penney, JP Morgan Chase (Chase Sapphire), Kayak.com, Kellogg (Special K), Koa Brands (John Frieda), Leapfrog Enterprise (Leapster Explorer), Mars (Dove Chocolate), McDonald's, Nationwide Insurance, News Corp (We bought a zoo movie), Nintendo (Mariokartz.com), Novartis (Theraflu), Old Navy, Pernod Ricard (Kahlua), Petsmart, Pier One, Pfizer (Centrum vitamin), Procter & Gamble (Align Probiotic, Crest, Febreze, Mr. Clean Magic Eraser, Pur, Tide), Progressive Insurance, Prudential Financial, Radio Shack, Ruth's Chris Steakhouse, SC Johnson (Drano, Glade, Scrubbing Bubbles), Sears , Signet (Kay Jewelers), Sonic Drive-ins, Subaru, THQ (uDraw), T-Mobil, Toyota (Camry), Volkswagen, Vtech (Mobi Go, V Reader), Wal-Mart and Whirlpool (Maytag).

Damn...thats like...everything I own :?

Interestingly, I believe the Canadian government yesterday banned new citizens from wearing face veils (e.g. niqab) at citizenship ceremonies. I don't know how I feel about that.

I read somewhere that this list is not correct but I don't remember where so I can't back it up.

I'm really interested watching Little Mosque in the Prarire based on some of the mentions on this thread.

I think there are different reasons some people here in the U.S. are freaking out about All-American Muslim. I used to post a lot on a TV related message board. There were several devout Christian and conservative posters on this board that were very active, one of the posters was a mod. I'm moderate and I got along ok with a lot of those posters. I started to dislike them when the proposed mosque near Ground Zero hit the news media. The poster mod and a few of the religious posters made a lot of really cruel comments about Muslims in general and it was obvious that the mod really had never studied or learned about Muslims.

One poster who lived in Brooklyn told them that Muslim communities in Manhattan have been active for a long time and way before 9/11. He tried to explain to them the difference between radical Muslims and non-radical Muslims and the bitch mod and her groupies didn't want to listen and they just kept lumping all Muslims into the same category. This same bitch mod was also Duggar defender. Based on a lot of her posts, she is a basically a WASP who wants the U.S. to be completely Christian.

I've had that argument with my dad, as well as the one about how "those people" don't let their daughters get an education (he doesn't really distinguish between Sikh and Muslim though, which confuses me because he knows there is a huge difference between the two religions). Every time I'll just tell him "You know I go to school with 'those people' right? Including women [who dress less modestly than I do]".

I'd say most Muslim women here don't cover either. You still get to see a lot of really nice hijabs and the occasional niqab. I've found that in certain situations I have more to talk about with Muslim friends than non-Muslim friends. Like the dinner where my best friend and I complained about not liking to go out to certain places with people because they try and make us feel like crap about not drinking alcohol.

I find it is a double-edged sword though: there have been cases where Muslim women have been refused access to certain theme park rides or activities involving harnesses, because there is a 'no headgear' rule in case something gets tangled and causes strangulation or neck injuries. It made the news because these women tried to accuse the park of discrimination and claim religious exemption, as they said their faith meant they were forbidden from being uncovered. It's these kind of silly people who make people think the headscarf is obligatory. Frankly if your personal conviction is so strong, then don't go to the theme park.

I find it is a double-edged sword though: there have been cases where Muslim women have been refused access to certain theme park rides or activities involving harnesses, because there is a 'no headgear' rule in case something gets tangled and causes strangulation or neck injuries. It made the news because these women tried to accuse the park of discrimination and claim religious exemption, as they said their faith meant they were forbidden from being uncovered. It's these kind of silly people who make people think the headscarf is obligatory. Frankly if your personal conviction is so strong, then don't go to the theme park.

See, the head scarf IS mandatory to some people. It's a very personal religious decision.

A few years ago I was at Magic Springs (a theme park in Arkansas) with a hijabi friend. She was refused rides for wearing hers, even though there were no loose ends (She had it wrapped rather tight and the ends tucked and pinned inside her t-shirt. Yet there were girls with dangly necklaces and guys in ball caps. We ended up leaving.

The hijab IS mandatory!

The hijab IS mandatory.

Surah 24:31 And say to the believing women that they should lower their gaze and guard their modesty; that they should not display their beauty and ornaments except what (must ordinarily) appear thereof; that they should draw their veils over their bosoms and not display their beauty except to their husbands, their fathers, their husband's fathers, their sons, their husbands' sons, their brothers or their brothers' sons, or their sisters' sons, or their women, or the slaves whom their right hands possess, or male servants free of physical needs, or small children who have no sense of the shame of sex; and that they should not strike their feet in order to draw attention to their hidden ornaments. And O ye Believers! turn ye all together towards Allah, that ye may attain Bliss.

33:59 O Prophet! Tell thy wives and daughters, and the believing women, that they should cast their outer garments over their persons (when abroad): that is most convenient, that they should be known (as believers) and not bothered. And Allah is Oft-Forgiving, Most Merciful.

Some people (yours truely, and some of my friends) look at Surah 24:31 (plus a few hadith, but i'm not going to post everything here) and interpret them to mean that covering the face with niqab is obligatory too, but not everyone interprets it that way.

Guest Anonymous

Sunnichick31 - In my opinion that's the same thing as headcovering Christians telling all other Christians that headcovering is mandatory. That's your interpretation and I fully support your right to wear hijab. However, I have Muslim friends that don't cover and I think it's crappy to holler that they're doing it wrong.

I never thought I would admire Russell Simmons as much as I do at this moment. This gesture absolves him of his marriage to Kimora, for me.

And no, not all Americans are this closed minded, but a lot of the ones in control of the companies obviously are. If I own anything from the clothing stores in the above list, I bought them second hand.

So, advertising on a show for super sized fundie families is responsible, but AAM is not? The logic, it fails.

Sunnichick31 - In my opinion that's the same thing as headcovering Christians telling all other Christians that headcovering is mandatory. That's your interpretation and I fully support your right to wear hijab. However, I have Muslim friends that don't cover and I think it's crappy to holler that they're doing it wrong.

That's the problem isn't it, it's all down to each person's interpretation. Sunni interprets is mandatory hijab preferably a niqaab. Others interpret it as simply dressing modestly - long skirts, no low cut shirts, no short sleeves.

Sunni, what do you do when you are somewhere which requires removal of your niqaab? Say passport checks for example?

Sunnichick31, the way I learned it (and I am by no means an expert) is that those verses call for modesty but do not specifically say that a woman's head must be covered. So I guess what I'm asking is what specifically in those verses leads you to believe that it is mandatory to wear a hijab (I think you wear a niqaab, but I can't remember, sorry)?

Sunnichick31, the way I learned it (and I am by no means an expert) is that those verses call for modesty but do not specifically say that a woman's head must be covered. So I guess what I'm asking is what specifically in those verses leads you to believe that it is mandatory to wear a hijab (I think you wear a niqaab, but I can't remember, sorry)?

I think in Hadith (again, no expert, just an interested lay person) it states that Muhammed said that everywhere should be covered apart from (and pointed to) the face and hands. But there is another Hadith which talks about a woman being behind a veil/curtain.

The hijab IS mandatory!

Some people (yours truely, and some of my friends) look at Surah 24:31 (plus a few hadith, but i'm not going to post everything here) and interpret them to mean that covering the face with niqab is obligatory too, but not everyone interprets it that way.

Thanks for the post--could you also explain how you interpret "and that they should not strike their feet in order to draw attention to their hidden ornaments?"

Archived