IGNORED

Bad News for Bathroom Baby

Linnea

I don't know if it delays development, but it can keep language centers in the brain stimulated while the child masters oral language. I have just started teaching my 1 yo signs because he is not talking at all and he gets frustrated when he wants something. He is picking the signs right up, which is encouraging.

My son was that way. He really didn't talk much at all until he was about 2.5, but he knew plenty of signs and nonverbal methods of communicating with us. When he did begin using actual words, he spoke absolutely clearly and was stringing full sentences together within a couple of weeks. The signs were absolutely key in reducing his frustration levels since he could communicate so clearly with them. As a matter of fact, now he speaks like an adult. Today, he informed me that, "actually, mama, I think perhaps I would like a peanut butter and honey sandwich after all, please. I believe I'm having a growth spurt." He's 3 and he speaks more clearly than his own father, lol!

• Replies 252
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Also, I'm glad she's learning from the speech therapist .. but seriously who the hell needs to be taught to point at pictures in a toddler book and say the name of the animal ????? Who doesn't just know to do this ?? If he isn't having speech / development issues now .. he probably will in the future, since he might as well be feral for all the attention he gets.

Combine this with the fact that part of her complaint against the dev. therapist was basically that she didn't "play right" with T1, and this is a woman who, regardless of the reason, has no clue what to do with a kid. Poor boy is in for an uphill battle all his life, sadly.

And because of the difference in temperments, often girls are underdiagnosed. I know that my LD wasn't diagnosed until college because it manifests differently in girls than boys. I was just told that I was being lazy when I was having problems doing something. Not a good thing at all. (and then when I'm having issues now, my mom says, "I don't know why you think so little of yourself.")

^ this. I wasn't diagnosed with ADHD until age 10, and somehow nobody noticed I had Tourette Syndrome until age 18. Even though I very clearly had palilalia (repeating things I'd just said, softly) as a child!

But noooo, I'm just weird and every problem I have is just my fault. :roll:

I'm curious, I don't know much about the 'baby sign' thing .... but isn't there a chance that babies learning signs would maybe delay their use of verbal language ? If they already know the sign for "bottle" ( for example ).. wouldn't they maybe be slower to use the word bottle - since they don't need it ?

I don't have an opinion if this is good or bad, just wondering if it might have an impact.

At 20 months my son now says the word with the sign sometimes so I don't think it's slowing him down just giving him a way to communicate things he can't say just yet.

I love the commenter that basically declares therapy unnecessary (because her nephew didn't get it, and he turned out FINE!). She goes on to quip, "good luck with T1!!! I know he’ll be fine".

Ummm how? How does she know this child will turn out "fine"? Because her nephew did? Because ThatBitch says he will? How does she know?

The more I think about it, the more it pisses me off that mommy dearest is "willing to bet" T1 will be okay. She is turning down FREE therapy. I agree with those that think the therapist must have commented on T1 living in the bathroom w/ 5 toys to his name.

shocked that she thinks you read a 19 month old the actual story in a book.

A lot of the other stuff she does is shocking, but I don't find this one so, mostly because it's what I did (along with answering questions about the book) and it doesn't seem to have resulted in any language delay.

I'm a long-time TW reader and have even been known to agree with her (on occasion, and less and less as time goes on). I am also an active Mormon (who thinks for myself, thankyouverymuch, so don't be hating!). Still, it's time for me to make an appearance here and say, WHAT THE HELL IS WRONG WITH THIS WOMAN!?

Each one of her decisions with this poor baby would probably be fine ON ITS OWN. After all, my own relatives, who are excellent parents with wonderful well-adjusted children, had their baby sleep in their walk-in-closet for about six months. It was temporary and it was NOT because they couldn't be bothered to give up space for a computer. But the sum of all of TW's actions equal a narcissist of the worst kind, a neglectful parent who can't be bothered to "sink $5,000" into an 18-month-old boy who has less than 10 words. I'm sick to my stomach.

As someone who would give almost anything to have a child in my home, it's particularly obnoxious to see another person dealing with their kid so cavalierly. I'll take that beautiful baby boy and smother him with attention, words, toys, and his own damn room.

And with that introduction, I look forward to participating here.

Hi, Hispania, and welcome!

I agree with you that that phrase "sink $5,000" is damning. She would see $5k spent on her son as a waste, rather than an investment spent on creating a wonderful, unique, loved human being. Very sad.

A lot of the other stuff she does is shocking, but I don't find this one so, mostly because it's what I did (along with answering questions about the book) and it doesn't seem to have resulted in any language delay.

I think the issue is that she attempts to read him a book, and then gets mad if he isn't interested in listening, or tries to turn the pages too fast. I'm not sure if my nephew is willing to sit through a whole story yet - my last visit, he was about 2.5. He loved bringing books, and would look through them with you if you were pointing things out, but wouldn't sit through just reading. At 18 months, he mainly just wanted to flip through pages and bring lots of books over. It was adorable.

I wonder if he was on a strict feeding schedule. Because his cries in that video set my let-down reflex off, which means he is probably hungry.

The boobs always know. :lol:

I was thinking the same thing, if I was closer to having nursed than I am now, I would have been letting down. That poor baby.

Agreed. And she was almost as bad before she even had the baby - when she was in her first trimester I believe, she wrote a post about how natural childbirth is like climbing a mountain on one foot, and a c-section is like getting a helicopter ride to the top :roll: I was reading the comments where she was defending herself when I suddenly came to my senses. I actually said out loud, "why the fuck am I even giving her blog hits?" and closed the whole page.

The narsissism and ignorance she spews is astounding.

Oh, FUCK her for that one. :hand:

I'm curious, I don't know much about the 'baby sign' thing .... but isn't there a chance that babies learning signs would maybe delay their use of verbal language ? If they already know the sign for "bottle" ( for example ).. wouldn't they maybe be slower to use the word bottle - since they don't need it ?

I don't have an opinion if this is good or bad, just wondering if it might have an impact.

I don't think so. I taught my first daughter a few signs, and she still spoke early and clearly.

thatwife.wordpress.com/2009/01/23/note-to-self-must-increase-nurturing-skills/

Um, if this isn't a massive red flag I don't know what is.

"I think this example of my nurturing skills has left him a little bit nervous about my ability to nurture another living thing. I tell him not to worry about the baby, because when the baby wants something, it will cry."

Um, seriously? I'm by far not the best mother but I do try to anticipate both of my children's needs before tears commence. The other day the littlest boy slept til 7am -- first time ever. The longest he had ever slept was until 6am. But I woke up at 6 and stared at his monitor thinking 'he's going to wake up any minute'. I just don't like my kids to cry for a need -- hungry, tired, thirsty, etc. Maybe it's just me. I don't know why this woman has sucked me in, but I have a feeling my Thursday night is going to be consumed with reading her crap from way back when -- that is if Grey's is not new. Otherwise, it will wait until Friday.

thatwife.wordpress.com/2009/01/23/note-to-self-must-increase-nurturing-skills/

Um, if this isn't a massive red flag I don't know what is.

"I think this example of my nurturing skills has left him a little bit nervous about my ability to nurture another living thing. I tell him not to worry about the baby, because when the baby wants something, it will cry."

Um, seriously? I'm by far not the best mother but I do try to anticipate both of my children's needs before tears commence. The other day the littlest boy slept til 7am -- first time ever. The longest he had ever slept was until 6am. But I woke up at 6 and stared at his monitor thinking 'he's going to wake up any minute'. I just don't like my kids to cry for a need -- hungry, tired, thirsty, etc. Maybe it's just me. I don't know why this woman has sucked me in, but I have a feeling my Thursday night is going to be consumed with reading her crap from way back when -- that is if Grey's is not new. Otherwise, it will wait until Friday.

That red flag is almost two years old.

My plants always die because I'm horrible at taking care of them. I have no interest in plants and only have them because somebody gave me one as a gift. I do have a cactus that I've owned for like ten years but otherwise my plants go pretty quickly. I don't have pets but when I had pets I growing up I did take care of those. I just don't care for plants the way I'd care for a dog, cat or my son. Although I try to anticipate his needs if he wants something my son will cry or call out to let me know that he's not happy.

One of my coworkers gave me a plant for my desk when I got pregnant. She said taking care of the plant would be good practice for taking care of a baby. I've almost let the plant die like four times, though, so I hope it's not any indication of my future mothering skills.

I came here after googling something else and I used to be a That Wife reader, so I was surprised to find her here when I showed up! However, I quit reading while she was still pregnant.

The biggest red flag for how crazy her ideas were was the TH drama that happened (mentioned in the other thread) and I just couldn't get over how she could be married to someone so selfish and so much an asshole. And now she has a kid and turns into the same kind of asshole and I have no pity for her. I am sure she and TH will end up divorced and neither will care about who gets T1.

You know, not many of the other people we discuss here send me into the white rage that TW does. Maybe it's because she's such an exhibitionist and posts SO much about herself and her life that I'm literally watching her ruin her son's future? Maybe it's the blase way she can talk about how he's not worth spending money on? Maybe it's the way she clearly has no maternal instinct but doesn't seem to care at all? The list goes on and on...

This is making me think about all the people that have spoken about us recently and mentioned all the "anger" that we have. Well, you trolls were right. I'm downright livid with this bitch and the way she treats her son as an accessory at best and a burden at worst.

I've been told that signing helps speech develop early but I have no evidence to support it personally. It hasn't slowed my kids down at all. Also in assessing language speech therapists and developmental therapists take signs into account when assessing communication skills.

I'm heartbroken that she fired the developmental therapist.

You know, not many of the other people we discuss here send me into the white rage that TW does. Maybe it's because she's such an exhibitionist and posts SO much about herself and her life that I'm literally watching her ruin her son's future? Maybe it's the blase way she can talk about how he's not worth spending money on? Maybe it's the way she clearly has no maternal instinct but doesn't seem to care at all? The list goes on and on...

This is making me think about all the people that have spoken about us recently and mentioned all the "anger" that we have. Well, you trolls were right. I'm downright livid with this bitch and the way she treats her son as an accessory at best and a burden at worst.

I think the reason she sends you into a rage the way that the others don't is that so many of the others at least live a lifestyle that promotes a loving family, even if they are far from it. And so many of the snarkable are also so clueless, but this bitch flaunts how little she cares about her son. She knows what she's doing, she has to know. She just doesn't care to be a real mom.

I didn't mean to imply that everyone who is a good mother is a good gardener. She just seems to have an "oh well, I'll take care of the baby when I have to -- and only when it cries -- attitude." The plant didn't cry, so she didn't take care of it. I wonder if that's why her kid poops in the bathtub... he gets a reaction (any reaction) out of her.

Ohh ohh something I have expertise on!!! Sign language does NOT delay speech in any way, shape, or form. It gives children a way to voice their thoughts before they are able to verbally communicate. To say sign delays speech is to say that crawling delays walking. I have a shit ton of research on this if anyone is interested. I teach this day in and out right now.

Ohh ohh something I have expertise on!!! Sign language does NOT delay speech in any way, shape, or form. It gives children a way to voice their thoughts before they are able to verbally communicate. To say sign delays speech is to say that crawling delays walking. I have a shit ton of research on this if anyone is interested. I teach this day in and out right now.

Thank you! I don't have any of my info on this saved anymore, but when I was an evil working-outside-the-home woman, I worked a lot with children w/ developmental delays and used a LOT of sign, so I used to have all those statistics and facts memorized. I taught my son some signage when he was a baby and he seemed/seems to be WAY ahead of the curve on verbal language. I've started with my daughter as well.

I don't understand how she can pretend to care so much about T1 but still turn it around into a pity party for me.

TW if you are reading here I have a suggestion for you. Next time you don't understand why a therapist is doing something...ask them! It's an adult thing to do but I promise you it gets easier after you have done it a few times. Ask why it seems like all they did was play, ask why he was allowed to choose the next shape & why she didn't stop him from having a tantrum. You would be surprised how often you can get an answer when you just ASK.

I get the impression that she fired the therapist because she felt like she was being shown up and they were implying she was a bad parent. Ok, yes I think she is a shitty parent but having a child in therapy does not mean you are a bad parent. It means that you are adult enough to realize that your child needs help that you don't how to provide right now. It means that you are putting their needs in front of yours.

I think the reason she sends you into a rage the way that the others don't is that so many of the others at least live a lifestyle that promotes a loving family, even if they are far from it. And so many of the snarkable are also so clueless, but this bitch flaunts how little she cares about her son. She knows what she's doing, she has to know. She just doesn't care to be a real mom.

Yeah - I think it's also how smug she is about it all...I don't typically respond to that well in the first place, but when you're fucking your child up and HIGHLIGHTING it all over the internet in addition to the smarmy smugness she reeks of, I just want to throw my laptop at her.

can you PM me with some of this research? Thanks xx

Archived