IGNORED

Oh yeah, Lina's pregnant...

atheistjd

The name Jesus comes to mind. :geek: Every Hispanic neighborhood has its share of the name.

Then his nickname will be Chuy!

" Oy, it was such a shanda! I should never buy gribenes from a Mohel. It's so Chuy."

I'm sorry, I couldn't help it.

Also, does Lina habla the espan~ols? :D

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes she does. She once corrected one of the Dixons in her comment box. Hopefully she is smart enough to make her children bilingual.

Regarding menstrual products...+1 to Lunette :D Insteads are great too. (Insertion is the same basically as a diaphragm)

Iraqi = Sephardic as far as I know. My sis-in-law's grandma is Iraqi and they follow sephardic customs (they all live in Israel now and have since Israel existed though, so I'm not entirely sure if the sephardic customs were brought with them from Iraq or adopted later. I will ask!).

I knew one Mizrachi Jew about 15 years ago.....other than that, never met another!

Technically, I believe Iraqi = Mizrachi, since they were never anywhere near Spain (Sephardi means Spanish) but were in Iraq since the Babylonian Exile. They spoke Arabic, not Ladino. That said, Mizrachi and Sephardi tend to get lumped together, and former Sephardi chief rabbi Ovadia Yosef was actually Iraqi. There is a small Iraqi congregation that meets in the basement of the big Sephardi synagogue here.

Where was your family from?

The funny thing is that I knew absolutely nothing about non-European/Ashkenazi Jews until I was 14, but then ended up marrying one and being surrounded. There's a growing number in Toronto, and a huge amount in Montreal. I know L.A. has tons of Iranian Jews. I also know some Iraqi Jews in England, and of course there are towns full of them in Israel.

Archived