IGNORED

Harry & Meghan 16

Coconut Flan

H & M have optioned the screen rights for a Canadian romance novel:

Carley Fortune said in an Instagram post she is thrilled to announce she is teaming up with Netflix and Archewell Productions, which is owned by Prince Harry and his wife Meghan, on the adaptation of her book Meet Me at the Lake.

The book is about a couple in their 30s who randomly go on a daylong, life-changing adventure in Toronto, where Meghan was living when she met Harry.

Fortune didn't say whether the adaptation will come in the form of a film or a series in the post but said the book's love story is dear to her heart, and she can't imagine a more perfect partnership.

Guessing this will be Canada's answer to Hallmark movies.

• Upvote 2
  • Thank You 1

5 hours ago, viii said:

Who is to say what’s a best colour on someone??

There are some colors that look good on everyone:

PrincessBeasAmazingHat.thumb.jpg.423f49c75a6953691a7b9d7aaee8d078.jpg

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 20
  • Thank You 1

5 hours ago, nvmbr02 said:

And some of us have teen daughters that give those honest opinions. I was told my outfit the other day gave "pilgrim vibes". I ended up switching out the top with a different one. 

I mean, my five year old daughter has a lot of opinions about what I wear for someone who out wearing a bright coral sequin dress, sunglasses, and a neon pink scrunchie to go shopping at Target the other day. 

• Haha 15

1 hour ago, KnittingOwl said:

I mean, my five year old daughter has a lot of opinions about what I wear for someone who out wearing a bright coral sequin dress, sunglasses, and a neon pink scrunchie to go shopping at Target the other day. 

Maybe you just don‘t get generation alpha‘s style. 😉

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 13

On 8/2/2023 at 11:08 PM, viii said:

I still think Harry and Meghan. To be fair, I wouldn’t want either of their lives, but while William and Kate can holiday at beautiful cottages with their cousins, they still live in an extremely tiny, critical fishbowl that completely depends on the opinion of others. That’s a hard pass from me. 

I had to think about this and have to say I come to a completely different conclusion. 
Both families exist in a fishbowl and it’s by choice. No one forced them to be public people. But it seems that pictures “in the wild” of H&M are much more interesting because tabloids can create drama with them. And I would argue that H&M are much more dependent on the opinion of others as they have to earn a living on it. W&K are set if the public hates them or not. Additionally- if the UK government decides to abolish the monarchy they are incredibly loaded.  They won’t need to sign deals to pay the bills EVER. W might continue Earthshot to be of some “importance”. Maybe we get a biography called HEIR with a nice bw closeup. K will probably attend charity events, bake 0 calorie muffins, open a photography exhibition and fill her day with shopping and countless spa hours. I would even wager that both wouldn’t loose one tear if the UK would become a Republic. And the tabloids would probably leave them alone as they are just not that interesting.

• Upvote 4
  • Haha 3

Plus their are a good many royals with long defunct thrones and noble families with long defunct titles that are treated as family and honored guests in the royal courts. The young Windsors would just be more of these “poor” but welcome relations if they choose the jet set circles. 

• Upvote 4

9 hours ago, hoipolloi said:

H & M have optioned the screen rights for a Canadian romance novel:

The latest word out is that Netflix actually paid for the option and have control of the project.  Very, very strangely WME who represents Meghan also now separately represents Archewell Productions and the author of the book.

• Thank You 4

1 minute ago, Coconut Flan said:

The latest word out is that Netflix actually paid for the option and have control of the project.  Very, very strangely WME who represents Meghan also now separately represents Archewell Productions and the author of the book.

It also appears that because of the WGA strike there is some speculation that optioning the book rights might be breaking the strike.  I am don't know if does or does not (that is not my wheelhouse).  The strike rules for both the WGA and SAG-AFTRA seem to be pretty strict about what will happen to any one they deem crossing the lines.  On Twitter (I refuse to call it a letter), there are a couple of actors that are being called out for breaking the rules at conventions (Zachary Levi, Stephen Amell).  If one of the unions determines that someone broke the strike, then they lose their membership and they cannot work in any union productions ever again. 

Netflix is one the producers being targeted by the unions so right now is not the best time to announce any brand new productions.  If something is completed and already has a release date, then that is different (say new episodes of Bridgerton or Lincoln Lawyer) but announcing a new partnership or even a new production as part of a current partnership may not be the best look right now. 

I have found the whole strike very fascinating.  The issues of AI, use of actors' likeness in perpetuity, not to mention the $0 in residuals the actors and writers are receiving when their shows are picked up by streamers (Netflix, Hulu,). etc).  So I am not an expert at all, just watching from a distance and reading their tweets. 

• Upvote 4
  • Thank You 7

9 hours ago, hoipolloi said:

There are some colors that look good on everyone:

PrincessBeasAmazingHat.thumb.jpg.423f49c75a6953691a7b9d7aaee8d078.jpg

Literally the only 2 things most people know about princess Beatrice is that her dad is a scumbag, and the Toilet Seat hat. Which is frankly fortunate for Eugenie because her outfit at that same wedding was way, way worse, and was ravaged nearly as much in the media and public opinion. So much so that afterward Eugenie hired a stylist!

• Upvote 5

2 minutes ago, Alisamer said:

Literally the only 2 things most people know about princess Beatrice is that her dad is a scumbag, and the Toilet Seat hat. Which is frankly fortunate for Eugenie because her outfit at that same wedding was way, way worse, and was ravaged nearly as much in the media and public opinion. So much so that afterward Eugenie hired a stylist!

Beige is not a color that looks good on me.  One of the many reasons I made a horrible fundy. 

You are right both sisters were ravaged in the press about their outfits at William and Kate's wedding.  It didn't help that Pippa looked amazing and there were the two Princesses not looking their best. 

• Upvote 2

That hat looked like she stole her stylist's boyfriend and the stylist got her revenge

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 9

On 8/6/2023 at 10:30 PM, Coconut Flan said:

She needs a stylist.  She's very proud that she doesn't use one.  

She can be proud, It's her prerogative. I have taken the advice of complete strangers in stores, who told me which color or style of item looked better on me. didn't pay; don't know if I would have paid anyone to do it.. but I do believe that if she occasionally took advice from others, some of these "issues" could clear up.

12 hours ago, Jackie3 said:

The best thing you can teach teen girls is to dress to please themselves. 

Teen girls? Yay and Nay. They can please themselves; doesn't mean I'm going to pay for it. I remember a fight in Kohl's with Four over a pair of jeans. It was when the ripped style was coming in. I flat out told her that I wasn't going to pay at Kohl's for a pair of pants that Goodwill wouldn't accept. If she could afford them, I wouldn't stop her from getting them, but I wasn't paying for them. I've asked her some flat out things about clothing she's tried on, like "look in that mirror. do you want your butt cheeks showing?" again with the caveat that if she can pay, go ahead...

she's about to turn 27 and she does now dress to please herself, but I think I instilled in her to look with a very critical eye, not for "what would others think?" but "what do I think, now that I have this on?" And her things fit her well, flatter her style and color wise, and I think she enjoys wearing them. Not that I'm the reason for all that, just that I hope I helped her along a bit.

• Upvote 8
  • Love 1

I think for most people, the majority of the time, "dressing to please themselves" and "wearing things that flatter them" are the same exact thing. 

Like, warm coral is a beautiful color, and I could totally wear it if I felt like it. But it doesn't please me to have people all day ask if I'm OK, and do I feel well because I don't look well. It pleases me to wear clothes that make me feel pretty, in colors that make me look healthy and bring out the color of my eyes, but that also are in a style that appeals to me and are comfortable. 

And with teens there's the extra element of school to consider. Like, my friend's daughter has a distinct awesome punky style. And she dresses that way in school too - but within their dress code (as problematic as some dress codes can be). So this summer she might be wearing short shorts with knee high fun socks and a stack of belts and 2 layered tank tops. But in school those shorts and sleeveless tops won't fly. So she throws on a cool T-shirt and some jeans or longer shorts instead. Same look, different items to create that look.

• Upvote 9

My almost teen is in a phase where she wants to wear mostly black. She will give me her honest opinion, but usually thinks I am wearing too much color.

• Upvote 6
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Ali said:

My almost teen is in a phase where she wants to wear mostly black. She will give me her honest opinion, but usually thinks I am wearing too much color.

Pilgrim vibes aside mine usually tells me something "looks good for me" or good on "someone my age" to indicate that she approves and is willing to be seen in public with me. Sometimes she makes a sweet comment about something, and then I know I hit the fashion jackpot because her praise does not come easily. 

She prefers to wear as little clothing as possible. I'm okay with her pushing the limits of her school dress code, as long as she understands if she gets dress coded at school, I am not picking her up/dropping off clothes so she will be stuck in gym clothing for the day as is school policy. The school dress code is loosely enforced so it hasn't been an issue. I leave for work before she leaves for school so it is a pointless battle so long as she understands the consequences. As far as what she wears in her free time we don't have many rules but I do have veto power if I think something is inappropriate. I've only had to veto one outfit so I think it is pretty reasonable. 

• Upvote 7
  • Love 1

21 hours ago, prayawaythefundie said:

We say that about a hat for our baby boy that my mom made. We think it‘s cute on him though, so we call him „little pilgrim“ when he wears it. However, I see how you wouldn‘t want that look. 😄

16 hours ago, KnittingOwl said:

That’s the thing about being a kid, you can wear any look and be adorable. 

• Upvote 4
  • Love 1

12 hours ago, AmazonGrace said:

That hat looked like she stole her stylist's boyfriend and the stylist got her revenge

I love this!! It’s such fun to mock other women. It’s great entertainment. Women should pick on other women more often.

Extra points when it’s a BIPOC woman who has done nothing to you personally. Makes you look good and not racist at all. 

• Downvote 1

LOL. 

Us, and the rest of the planet - "That had Beatrice was wearing looked like nothing more than a toilet seat with a silly bow on it!"

Trolletta - "You're all racist and tearing down other women!"

Us: "Dude. The hat was made by a GUY. Bea and Eugenie were both wearing awful Philip Treacy hats. And Eugenie also had on a dress that looked like a Disney Princess/Pirate cosplay mashup. And literally everyone involved in that situation was lily white."

I personally don't think it's "tearing down other women" to comment on clothing choices made for a public event where they know literally half the planet is going to be watching them. It's not like insulting their body or face shape or skin color. It's clothes. And silly hats. Everyone makes weird choices now and again, and those are things they took off at the end of the day. And the hat got so much press coverage it was auctioned for charity for over $131,000 (using some of the silly meme photos of it in the listing), so they were even capitalizing on it! 

And I usually like Treacy and Vivienne Westwood. Just those looks were daring (which is awesome) but not a home run (which is valid to point out, IMO). I think Bea's dress was lovely, actually, and Eugenie's would have been nice for a different event possibly, accessorized with a different hat.

Like I think it's totally valid to point out the actual racist stuff that was said about Meghan. But applying race to literally every single criticism that lands within her orbit is ludicrous and also minimizes the ACTUAL racism she faced by equating it to something totally unrelated. I think it's valid to talk about people tearing down other women. But criticizing a silly hat made by a dude that someone wore once and then was able to help charity with... that doesn't seem like tearing a woman down, to me, at all. 

Edited by Alisamer
I can type, really.
  • Upvote 15
  • I Agree 1
  • Thank You 1
  • Love 3

27 minutes ago, Alisamer said:

Like I think it's totally valid to point out the actual racist stuff that was said about Meghan. But applying race to literally every single criticism that lands within her orbit is ludicrous and also minimizes the ACTUAL racism she faced by equating it to something totally unrelated. 

This times a thousand. 

Meghan has been the victim of racist attacks multiple times but every criticism of Meghan is not rooted in racism and I wish more people understood that. 

• I Agree 11

• Honestly, this is the only place that I am reminded that Meghan's bad taste in clothes must be due to her race.  Everywhere else, I just look at what she is wearing and shrug.
  •  
  • I Agree 6

I hope Meghan employs a stylist in the future and both of them get therapists. Those professionals would help them so much. She could even use the stylist and her style evolution to relaunch The Tig for some cash.

• Upvote 4

3 hours ago, Father Son Holy Goat said:

I hope Meghan employs a stylist in the future and both of them get therapists. Those professionals would help them so much. She could even use the stylist and her style evolution to relaunch The Tig for some cash.

She looks like she had a wonderful time at Eras!! No mental health disorder visible at all. 

There’s a real shortage of therapists at the moment. Perhaps therapists should focus on more pressing problems—like the massive mental health issues among the homeless. Or the surge of anxiety among children.

Not a happily married woman who is harming no one.

Rejecting the British Royal family is not a recognized mental health disorder.

6 hours ago, SoSoNosy said:
  • Honestly, this is the only place that I am reminded that Meghan's bad taste in clothes must be due to her race.  Everywhere else, I just look at what she is wearing and shrug.
  •  

Of course it is!

Three years of solid hate against a private US citizen who barely appears in public?  How else would you explain it? 

The focus is on her clothes because it’s not socially acceptable to say the real reason. Most racist are too cowardly to be outwardly racist. Instead, it’s her clothes, her hair, her smile, the way she looks Or doesn’t look at the camera, etc.

The proof? WhitE royals who are crappy dresses get little to no hate. Take a look at Beatrice, Eugenie. Their white skin protects them from criticism about their horrible clothes choices.

You want to avoid a charge of racism? Then snark on the Sussexes for a valid reason, not a silly, vapid one. 

Edited by Jackie3

Trolletta: Snarking on Beatrice's hat is terrible because it's attacking other women and  makes you look racist.

Also Trolletta: People don't snark on Beatrice's terrible clothes often enough.

• Haha 11
  • Love 1

22 minutes ago, AmazonGrace said:

Trolletta: Snarking on Beatrice's hat is terrible because it's attacking other women and  makes you look racist.

Also Trolletta: People don't snark on Beatrice's terrible clothes often enough.

If I recall correctly--and I do, because I've been following the royals all my life🥴--Beatrice and Eugenie bore the brunt of fashion criticism for a long time. The press and the public were absolutely vicous about some of their outfits, reaching an apex of snark with Beatrice's hat (fascinator?). The discussions only died down when new targets--Kate and Meghan--came along. Things have gotten better with Kate in the past couple of years as she's settled into a fairly classic, lowkey, non-controversial style, but she still gets hit with it now and then. Criticism of Meghan's wardrobe choices has nothing to do with race and everything to do with...wait for it...her wardrobe choices! 😆

*waits breathlessly for the inevitable accusation of RACIST!!11eleventy!11 from Trolletta 🤣

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 5

• Coconut Flan locked this topic