IGNORED

Harry & Meghan 16

Coconut Flan

I, personally, don’t wear a full winter coat unless it’s literally freezing, which it never is here and in fact I don’t even own one. BUT I also wouldn’t find it weird enough to have stood out early that particular morning. When I was actually out.  And in identical weather  conditions - I know, because I’m petty and checked -.  It’s certainly overkill, but people wear all sorts of things, it’s not a snow suit ffs. It’s a coat. I also wouldn’t have noticed as unusual if someone was in shorts.  Or any variation in between, because you know people are going to be in the full range. 

They said she was coming out of the dentist office, maybe the scarf was in case she got drool stains on her shirt.  It’s just so weird people are making a big deal about the number of layers someone put on for their trip to the dentist. 

On 8/13/2023 at 8:32 AM, Jackie3 said:

When you criticize a US private citizen for reasons like this, it can only be racism and jealousy. Otherwise, who cares what this lady wears?

I mean, there are women out there committing violent crimes--but this is the issue that bothers you?

She can't breathe right for some people. It's the melatonin in her skin.

Why did you misquote me? 

• Upvote 2
  • Eyeroll 1

I read somewhere that the Queen wanted Beatrice to wear the Fringe tiara for her wedding.

I'm guessing the Queen was making a tiara tradition for the BRF with the oldest Princess of each generation wearing the fringe tiara for their wedding.  (Queen, Princess Anne and Princess Beatrice).  If this is the case, Charlotte will be wearing the fringe at her wedding in 20 some odd years.

• Upvote 1

On 8/13/2023 at 5:32 PM, Jackie3 said:

She can't breathe right for some people. It's the melatonin in her skin.

melatonin = hormone that regulates sleep

melanin = pigment that absorbes sunlight and darkens the skin

I tell my classes to think „o for hormone“ to not confuse them in tests.

Now back to the non-scientific and obvious: People can dislike other people with no connection to their melanin level. You don‘t hate Kate because she‘s white, do you?

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 2
  • Thank You 3

11 minutes ago, prayawaythefundie said:

melatonin = hormone that regulates sleep

melanin = pigment that absorbes sunlight and darkens the skin

I tell my classes to think „o for hormone“ to not confuse them in tests.

Now back to the non-scientific and obvious: People can dislike other people with no connection to their melanin level. You don‘t hate Kate because she‘s white, do you?

LOL, I was going to let that sleep. As it were. 

I agree though, being confused about someone wearing a full winter outfit in AUGUST in California is valid, IMO. No matter what race they are. Or if they are a "US private citizen" or not. If I walk out of here this afternoon and see someone walking down the street in a puffer coat, winter scarf and beanie I'm going to idly wonder about it a bit, no matter what their gender, race, nationality, immigration status, etc. And if it happens to be someone whose wedding was watched by over 29 million people, who has had a Netflix series and acting roles and is working on a book deal, and whose name is instantly known by a huge number of people throughout the world, I might well mention it to my friends. Heck, if I saw one of our local news anchors wearing something like that I'd mention it and wonder if she was OK or if she was working on a longer sort of story to come out later in the year or something. Because it's unusual. People notice the unusual. 

I agree it's likely it was a photo meant to be released in a few months, and somebody leaked it early. Or wherever she just left is ridiculous about their air conditioning and she was making a point. Or she decided she hated her outfit but was running late so chose to just cover it up. Or she was dealing fake Rolex watches under the coat like an old cartoon. Or Harry gave her a hickey she was hiding with the scarf. Or the kids spilled something on her top before she left the house and she didn't have time to change so covered it with the coat and scarf. Or she just got the coat and just couldn't wait to wear it out and about. Or she's super excited it's coming quickly up on Spooky Season and loves fall clothes and just got ahead of herself (I hear you on that one, Meghan!).

I have to say I'm also a little baffled about blaming any and every criticism or even question about Meghan on her melatonin melanin levels. Are we going to be getting the same accusations about Lilibet in 20 years? Because where she lives, Meghan passes for white, and I suspect the majority of people would have had no clue she was mixed race if she wasn't public about it. (As she should be! Her Blackness is part of her heritage, family and culture and should be acknowledged and honored, IMO, in ways of her preference and choosing.) But frankly if Angelina Jolie, Jennifer Aniston, Taylor Swift, Tom Cruise, or basically any celeb was shown in a winter coat and scarf in August in CA, people would wonder about it.  (And the jealousy accusation is ridiculous - Meghan is wealthy, yeah most people are envious. But they aren't "jealous" of her risking heatstroke no matter how expensive her scarf is.)

To say it another way, look at the Rodrigues family. Their children are often seen wearing inappropriate clothing for the weather. And it gets pointed out here every time. Nobody's racist against them (after all, as Jill makes sure to point out, it's Rodrigues with an S which is Portuguese, so they're white, for sure) and nobody's jealous either. Just wondering what the heck whoever dressed them were thinking and for the older kids wondering what made them choose that outfit.

Meghan just needs to get another actor or 2 to go out in a similar outfit this week and then it'll be a "trend" and we'll get fashion bloggers doing videos about it. 

People calling Meghan and her kids slurs = racist. Denying Meghan work because of her race = racist. Following her around a store in case she steals because of her color = racist. Assuming things about Meghan because of her race = racist. Stereotyping her or profiling her (or her children) because of her race = racist. Showing up wearing a "blackamoor" brooch the first time you meet Meghan = racist (damn, Princess Michael!). If the Queen had refused to allow her to marry Harry, that would have been racist. There's a lot of potential racism, and I'm sure there are a zillion racist microagressions that Meghan faces regularly along with the big obvious stuff that sometimes occurs. 

But saying "it's kind of unusual to see someone in a full winter coat and scarf in August in California" = not racist.

• Upvote 11
  • Love 6

Wow. Some retired UK police officers are arrested for use of racist language and imagery on a Whatsapp group.

Guess who was one of their targets? The Sussexes. The racist language used against them was so awful that the BBC would not print it.

But it's not about racism. The hate is about other things. . . Meghan wearing a coat in summer, eating an avocado, and touching her baby bump too often, and wearing the wrong dress.  Not racism! 

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-66512440

On 8/14/2023 at 12:00 PM, VGL said:

I read somewhere that the Queen wanted Beatrice to wear the Fringe tiara for her wedding.

I'm guessing the Queen was making a tiara tradition for the BRF with the oldest Princess of each generation wearing the fringe tiara for their wedding.  (Queen, Princess Anne and Princess Beatrice).  If this is the case, Charlotte will be wearing the fringe at her wedding in 20 some odd years.

They’re older than Charlotte, but not princesses, so will the Phillips girls be allowed to wear any of the family tiaras? 

14 minutes ago, DalmatianCat said:

They’re older than Charlotte, but not princesses, so will the Phillips girls be allowed to wear any of the family tiaras? 

I would say it’s likely, depending on who the monarch is. Royal cousins have been allowed to wear tiaras for their weddings before (smaller ones, naturally, not any of the big guns). Or sometimes tiaras are purchased especially for their wedding. 

• Upvote 2

Let’s see if Lady Louise wears one from the vaults or ends up with one bought for her as it’s a pretty good indication about the others. But really, some of those priceless pieces are sitting there gathering dust for literally centuries and won’t cost the Tax payer anything so it does not  make sense not to get some use put to them 

Instead of having money spent on fancy head bands for Catherine and daughter they should have found appropriate things  in all those dusty cases IMO. 

Edited by tabitha2
  • Upvote 8

Are there non-jeweled headbands in storage?  I don't keep up with the royal head pieces enough to know.

• Upvote 2

We also don’t know how stingy Charles will be with the vault. There haven’t been many occasions for it yet. William, on the other hand, I could see being generous to his cousin’s children when they get married. 

If they were purposely made for the Wales ladies they are their own personal  items not family property. I don’t see Catherine wearing hers again but Charlotte will most likely use hers as needed as she grows up  till is ready for real tiaras of which she will have her pick because of her rank. 

Just now, viii said:

We also don’t know how stingy Charles will be with the vault. There haven’t been many occasions for it yet. William, on the other hand, I could see being generous to his cousin’s children when they get married. 

I don’t see Why Charles would concern himself about which niece wears what for her wedding day. Its not like he is going to wear them :) It’s will be Camilla’s purview anyway as the Queen consort 

• Upvote 2

On 8/13/2023 at 7:09 PM, viii said:

I’m curious to see what kind of original wedding Beatrice would have had if the pandemic had never happened. Her wedding was delayed twice and so I think that’s why she went with a repurposed old gown of the Queen’s. I’d like to know if that dress was always her first choice and if she was always going to wear the fringe tiara. I feel like without the pandemic, her whole wedding wouldn’t have been so scaled down. 

On 8/14/2023 at 1:48 AM, viii said:

Yes, she looked amazing and it was a nice wedding but I’m doubting any of it was her first option pre-pandemic and I wish we could have seen what would have been. 

I don’t think she would have married during the pandemic and therefore scaled down compared to her sister if it wasn’t for her father. After all of this publicity about his antics and the car crash interview (that she supposedly thought a good idea and supported) there was no way she could have had a wedding like Eugenie. Not if her father would have been pushed into as little participation as possible and I think people wound still have shown up and booed at him or hung up banners etc. It was all pretty fresh then. The pandemic was a great excuse to have a more private wedding, create the narrative of the unpretentious, more private princess and show them as being compliant with the rules. Just look how much positive reporting went on about the Queen and her sitting alone at PPs funeral. Those sympathy points are priceless.

I don’t believe for a second Beatrice wouldn’t have waited another year or two if it wasn’t for her father. His antics assured that she could never have a wedding as big as her sister. She made the best out of this situation. She at least would have had a huge private (no tv coverage) wedding with lots of friends and family. I mean there was no reason to wed apart from wanting to do so. It’s not as if they weren’t living together already.

• Upvote 4

52 minutes ago, tabitha2 said:

I don’t see Why Charles would concern himself about which niece wears what for her wedding day. Its not like he is going to wear them :) It’s will be Camilla’s purview anyway as the Queen consort 

The jewels belong to Charles as reigning monarch, not Camilla. I’m sure he trusts her judgement but ultimately the say is his. 

• Upvote 1

It’s long tradition  for the Queen consort as the most senior Royal woman  to be in “charge” of the women in the family and what jewels they get from the vault and they certainly are traditional. 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, DalmatianCat said:

Princess Anne has her own tiara (edit: more than one), and so does Sophie the Duchess of Edinburgh, so neither the Phillips girls nor lady Louise, nor the brides of the Phillips boys or the earl of Wessex, would be tiara-less even if they didn't have access to the vaults.

Edited by rosamundi
  • Upvote 7

True. But to be able to pick an old family piece would be a great honor.Louise as the youngest Granddaughter and so adored by the Queen should rightly be allowed to choose something historical. You know her Granny would have  wanted that. 

• Eyeroll 2

51 minutes ago, tabitha2 said:

It’s long tradition  for the Queen consort as the most senior Royal woman  to be in “charge” of the women in the family and what jewels they get from the vault and they certainly are traditional. 

It’s tradition for her to lend them but the jewels aren’t hers. They’re his and he has final say. I’m not sure why you’re arguing a basic point. 

• Upvote 1
  • Eyeroll 1

28 minutes ago, tabitha2 said:

True. But to be able to pick an old family piece would be a great honor.Louise as the youngest Granddaughter and so adored by the Queen should rightly be allowed to choose something historical. You know her Granny would have  wanted that. 

I think you are imagining family connection based on tabloid articles. These connections may or may not exist, but we'll never know. For all we know, maybe the Queen was tyrannical and mean and everyone disliked her. They may not care at all what "Granny" wanted. 

Certainly Charles doesn't care. He ditched the idea of calling Camilla "Queen Consort", though that had been "Granny's" wish. To heck with that, he seemed to be saying.  

It always seemed pretty selfish to me that she didn't give up the throne earlier. A youthful Charles with two young boys would have appealed to the public much more. If her priority was to continue the monarchy, that's what she should have done. I think she liked being queen too much.

1 hour ago, tabitha2 said:

Both Zara Phillips and Amber Kelly wore tiaras borrowed from Princess Anne.

Princess Diana wore the Spencer tiara.

Kate and Megan both borrowed from the vaults (makes sense, neither of them came from the sort of family which has tiaras lying about the place).

Sophie Wessex got one as a wedding present, so did the Duchess of York (interestingly, neither of the York girls wore the York tiara when they got married, they both borrowed from the vaults, although Beatrice has worn it recently).

I'm not sure there is a tradition, as such, I guess we'll find out in the fullness of time.

Edited by rosamundi
  • Upvote 4

I am pretty sure Charles and Camilla will act in agreement and any long term loans will probably be even talked about with Wiliam and Kate. In the end there are four categories. (1) Crown Jewels, (2) Jewels that are reserved for a monarch/spouse like the George IV State Diadem or the Grand Duchess Vladimir. (3) Size! Big Jewels reflect the status of the wearer like the Fringes, Lover’s Knot, Girls of Great Britain and Ireland, the Grevillea and the Delhi Durba. (4) Personal Preference. Camilla’s hairstyle is ideal for the bigger pieces. Kate’s not so much. That’s why the Lover’s Knot always sits awkwardly and seems to crush her. But I doubt we see it loaned out to anyone other than the next PoW. Not even sure about Charlotte. My personal wish would be for Kate to stick to the Halo, Lotus and maybe bring back the Teck Crescent and upgrade to the Fringes for bigger events and when Charlotte is old enough to accompany her with a smaller tiara on her head. There is also the Queen Mary Cartier Bracelet Quintet that can be worn as a Bandeau. When she becomes Queen she should stick to the State Diadem, GoGBI and the Fringes. But as I have said before, sadly, Kate and I will never see eye to eye in terms of jewellery. That’s why I hope she just puts stuff away and let someone else oversee re-designing/dismantling those. We could see her in the Aquamarines for all the blue they wear. It’s a big one so maybe for a state Banquet if Camilla isn’t present? The Modern Sapphire seems to be with Camilla for now.

• Upvote 1

Camilla has amazing hair for tiara wearing. I wish she would wear them more often! Bring out some of the big ones!! Embrace your inner Queen Mary! 🤣

• Upvote 8
  • I Agree 5
  • Love 1

3 hours ago, viii said:

It’s tradition for her to lend them but the jewels aren’t hers. They’re his and he has final say. I’m not sure why you’re arguing a basic point. 

Good grief I never said the jewels were hers! They definitely aren’t! It’s Just as the Queen Consort she has certain expectations and lending of Tiaras and other pieces for events and weddings is up to her and I don’t see why Charles would  concern himself with what headpiece Cousin Lady Whatsits wears to a State Dinner from BFE

• Upvote 1
  • Eyeroll 1
  • I Agree 1

7 hours ago, Jackie3 said:

Certainly Charles doesn't care. He ditched the idea of calling Camilla "Queen Consort", though that had been "Granny's" wish. To heck with that, he seemed to be saying.  

Once again, you’re wrong. Camilla was supposed to be called Princess Consort upon Charles’ ascension to the throne (as they agreed in their 2005 wedding). In the last few months of her life (I believe it was around the Jubilee), the Queen made a statement saying she wanted Camilla to be known as Queen Consort once they become the ruling monarchs. And… that’s what happened. Camilla is Queen Consort and goes by Queen Camilla, just like every other married-in before her. The Queen Mother wasn’t known as Queen Consort Elizabeth. She was Queen Elizabeth. Mary of Teck was Queen Mary. It’s basic knowledge. Pause the trolling and pick up a book sometime. 

@tabitha2 the question was would the tiaras be loaned out, which would be under Charles’ approval. Simple. You’re right, I doubt he would care and would let Camilla handle it, but that wasn’t the question. 

Edited by viii
  • Upvote 9
  • Haha 1

• Coconut Flan locked this topic