IGNORED

Shiny Happy People: A Duggar and IBLP Documentary

CanadianMamam

Anyone know when it will drop? I’m flying cross country early tomorrow and it would be awesome to watch it happen inflight 

3 minutes ago, onekidanddone said:

Anyone know when it will drop? I’m flying cross country early tomorrow and it would be awesome to watch it happen inflight 

Somewhere I saw that it's 8pm EDT tonight so just over 2 hours from now as I write this.  Not sure if that's verified though.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Cheetah said:

Somewhere I saw that it's 8pm EDT tonight so just over 2 hours from now as I write this.  Not sure if that's verified though.

Yes!!! It's on!!!!!!  Catch y'all later... 

• Upvote 3
  • Thank You 2

I am looking throw Amazon and haven’t found it yet. :(
ETA: ok I found it. 

Edited by JermajestyDuggar
  • Upvote 4

13 minutes in and Huckabee has been name dropped a couple times (well once was just a clear shot of his signs)

So Jim Holt was 19 and Bobye was 14. She made the age difference clear, he brushed it of and was like "we marry young in Arkansas" and blamed it on her being "developed". So he is still gross. 

Screenshot_20230601-204258.thumb.png.46c54ca3b11f8e6d049ff743efdaddab.pngJB and Michelle's statement.

• Upvote 1
  • Disgust 12
  • Thank You 17

So halfway through the first episode, it goes from the Duggars to Bill Gothard. 

• Upvote 4
  • Thank You 1

Looking forward to watching it when I get home from work!! 

After following them for such a long time (since the original free Jinger site and ?TWOP?) it’s all finally coming home to roost. 

As for that statement - total horsesh*t. HOW DARE THEY? After they made Jill and Jess do that interview? After they forced their daughters film their births? After they filmed and publicised so much of their lives for so many years? 

Sure publicise all that, but criticism? No thanks, keep that quiet and hush-hush. 🤬

• Upvote 14
  • I Agree 15

19 minutes ago, CanadianMamam said:

13 minutes in and Huckabee has been name dropped a couple times (well once was just a clear shot of his signs)

So Jim Holt was 19 and Bobye was 14. She made the age difference clear, he brushed it of and was like "we marry young in Arkansas" and blamed it on her being "developed". So he is still gross. 

Screenshot_20230601-204258.thumb.png.46c54ca3b11f8e6d049ff743efdaddab.pngJB and Michelle's statement.

Well Bobye is divorcing him! I hope this documentary really made her think about her marriage and her life in a different way. And realized being married to Jim was something that needed to go.

23 minutes ago, CanadianMamam said:

Funny how they never made a statement about Jinger’s book. That’s because Jinger chose to portray her childhood as perfect. And refused to state that it was her parents who forced the rules of Bill Gothard on them. 

• Upvote 17

Oh and of course the people who exploited their children for years now want to keep things private. Lol ok Jim Bob 🙄

• Upvote 34
  • I Agree 9

I just watched the first episode - I think they did a pretty good job of presenting things in a way that will catch the attention of people who are not in the know, and continually circling it back to Gothard and IBLP.

It was choppy for my taste, but that's just me - I don't need so much jumping around to keep my attention. And the music was often much too intrusive for my taste. Let me hear people speak.

I did learn something - I didn't know that Gothard's father was the head of the Gideons.

• Upvote 15
  • I Agree 6

15 minutes ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

Well Bobye is divorcing him! I hope this documentary really made her think about her marriage and her life in a different way. And realized being married to Jim was something that needed to go.

She kept side-eying him. You could see the wheels turning in her head. 

I just finished the first episode and it was heavy. A good mix of background on Gothard and the Duggars. 

They used the Holts to discuss Josh. Jill didn't want to discuss it and I felt bad for her. She brought me to tears.

I actually thought Amy was a a good inclusion and she gave a good insider/outsider perspective. But her husband was a distraction. 

• Upvote 24
  • I Agree 4

What’s the quote about objecting too much?  Do we send thank you notes to JB for more people now being aware of the documentary.  He just can’t help himself.

I can’t bring myself  to watch.  The “we are innocent” statement from JB (assuming it was him) was triggering enough. 

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 1

5 hours ago, FiveAcres said:

I took a debate class in either my last year of high school or my first year of college, as an elective. One of the things I learned is that one has to be able to argue both the pro and the con side of the issue that is stated. So I can see how a focus on classical debating techniques might backfire on some of the high-control groups who would like to spread their indoctrination of young people. 

You learn the same thing in law school. You can't always pick your clients, so you have to be prepared to advocate for either side and to spot the weaknesses in your opponent's arguments. Derick will have had this type of training. It may not have changed his mind about his fundamental beliefs, but it will have forced him to realize there are multiple sides to any story. 

• Upvote 16
  • I Agree 1

5 minutes ago, CanadianMamam said:

She kept side-eying him. You could see the wheels turning in her head. 

I just finished the first episode and it was heavy. A good mix of background on Gothard and the Duggars. 

They used the Holts to discuss Josh. Jill didn't want to discuss it and I felt bad for her. She brought me to tears.

I actually thought Amy was a a good inclusion and she gave a good insider/outsider perspective. But her husband was a distraction. 

I genuinely don’t understand why Amy’s husband was sitting there. His presence was pointless. 

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 11

I must admit I was a bit confused by Jim and Bobye being interviewed together. 

Did Meech have a D&C after the 20th baby was found to have no heartbeat?

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Katzchen24 said:

Not according the show.  She opted to wait for it to naturally expel.

• Upvote 7

7 minutes ago, Katzchen24 said:

I must admit I was a bit confused by Jim and Bobye being interviewed together. 

They weren’t divorcing yet. This was recorded before she filed for divorce. Even though she’s the only one who testified in court, he was probably there for most of the events she testified about. 

• Upvote 12

I might as well binge watch it.  I have to be up at obscene o’clock (5:00) to get to the airport any way 

• Upvote 3

The second episode gets more into the wisdom booklets. All of the quotes from the booklets, the slut-shaming, racism, and crappy anti-science stuff is read in a gentle, righteous-sounding female voice-over. As a reminder that this shit was being taught to children by their mothers and older sisters, it's a nice touch.

Edited by thoughtful
grammar
  • Upvote 30
  • I Agree 5

Oh the part where the woman talks about being taken aside by Bill Gothard because her hair wasn't curly enough. Super creepy.

• Upvote 8
  • I Agree 17

36 minutes ago, ElizaB said:

Now the real question…. Do I binge watch all 4 episodes or limit myself to 1 each night. 

I finished episode 1 and then made and ate dinner (west coast - it dropped at 5pm my time).  Will watch at least one more tonight but maybe the other 2 tomorrow.

• Upvote 4

19 minutes ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

I genuinely don’t understand why Amy’s husband was sitting there. His presence was pointless. 

He said support but she seemed annoyed by him. 

• Upvote 6

2 minutes ago, CanadianMamam said:

He said support but she seemed annoyed by him. 

It’s weird because he could have sat off camera and supported her. That’s what James did with Jen from Fundie Fridays. And James knows a lot about these fundies. Probably more than Amy’s husband. 

• Upvote 9

• nelliebelle1197 locked this topic