IGNORED

Shiny Happy People: A Duggar and IBLP Documentary

CanadianMamam

2 hours ago, KWLand said:

I think the Rods went to at least one, if not two.  I’m really hoping this doesn’t bring more people to the Pearls side.  Shoshanna looks good on the outside and praises her parents, especially her dad, so she’s a good (well bad but good as in can make the Pearl brand look appealing to those who want to feel as if they belong) spokesperson for that brand.

there used to be a website for ex fundies but I can’t remember the name—no longer quivering- maybe?  I said it before but I really hope they give resources t for those who want out or got out.

http://www.recoveringgrace.org . It's still online but the "recent" updates are from 2019. No Longer Quivering is a Patheos blog and it's also still up, but seems to have stopped getting new content in October 2020. October 2020 was almost a decade ago, in pandemic years. 

• Upvote 6
  • Haha 2
  • Thank You 1

7 hours ago, Cam said:

I think it’s definitely a possibility that Austin has “the past is the past” mentality. I don’t see Joy ever rocking the boat with a tell all or even “tell some” book.

I don't foresee a tell-something from them, but I suspect the past could become the painful present if Josh ever gets within 10 feet of Austin/Joy/kids.

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 4

I doubt seriously that Jill is going to spill any "secrets" as such. It'll be a rehash of what we already know (the FJ world anyway). IF there is ever a "bombshell" book, I think it'll come from one of the younger kids, however I doubt there will ever really be anything that will really spill the beans on JBoob and company. For some reason, I feel that Pesty is just the surface of this family's legal issues. I truly think that JBoob is one shady operator and has probably crossed the line from legal to illegal in his business dealings. 

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 4

19 minutes ago, feministxtian said:

I doubt seriously that Jill is going to spill any "secrets" as such. It'll be a rehash of what we already know (the FJ world anyway). IF there is ever a "bombshell" book, I think it'll come from one of the younger kids, however I doubt there will ever really be anything that will really spill the beans on JBoob and company. For some reason, I feel that Pesty is just the surface of this family's legal issues. I truly think that JBoob is one shady operator and has probably crossed the line from legal to illegal in his business dealings. 

I kind of feel that way too about JB. But I also think it's probably the sort of legally grey stuff that middle/upper class white guys typically get away with unless somebody is trying to take them down.

The younger kids may produce a tell all....but do they actually have much to tell? Being raised mostly after the pest was out of the house and having no 1st hand knowledge of the life pre-tv show. All the same, it wouldn't surprise me if one of them got disillusioned and couldn't get a job and as they got into adulthood didn't feel much pressure to not break ties.

• Upvote 3

4 hours ago, KWLand said:

Shoshanna looks good on the outside and praises her parents, especially her dad, so she’s a good (well bad but good as in can make the Pearl brand look appealing to those who want to feel as if they belong) spokesperson for that brand.

Sort of.  Her reconstituted social media presence, after a year's absence, is a mix of self-promotion, patronizing advice, bad writing, Plexus shilling, and making her monstrous parents look good. Her leghumpers were predictably glad to see her back on FB & IG but even so some are still asking about James. She & James have presumably divorced but she wonʻt say anything. These people are so dishonest.

By contrast, her oldest sister, Rebekah Pearl Anast, has apparently been off the grid for years along with her nutwad husband, Gabe. Shoshanna's brother Nathan is a "pastor" whose FB feed is filled with videos of his "sermons" and the usual RW fundie stuff. Her brother Gabe (divorced and remarried) and her sister Shalom (whose 17 yo daughter got married last fall) are not super active either. Shalom is also shilling Plexus -- is she in Shoshanna's downline? 

A few months ago,  the following tweet appeared which makes you wonder:

ThePearloffspring.thumb.png.55c0d8f0fba949f366ae105f6b88f137.png

• Upvote 6
  • Thank You 25

12 minutes ago, WatchingTheTireFireBurn said:

All the same, it wouldn't surprise me if one of them got disillusioned and couldn't get a job and as they got into adulthood didn't feel much pressure to not break ties.

The impetus may be the shitty education and being unable to really procure gainful employment. (Sorry, watching a movie while typing and my train of thought derails). They'll eventually figure out the disservice their sire and dam did them with the shit SOTDRT education that left them unprepared for the real world. I mean, let's face it...a maybe 6th grade education isn't going to get you very far in life. 

• I Agree 3

Jen and James on Fundie Fridays just said the documentary will probably provide some new info even to major Duggar followers. I hope that’s true. I would like to learn more. Jen is in it that’s why she knows. 

Jen showed a preview of her part in the doc if you want to watch it. 

She claims that the Holts are interviewed for the doc. And they are currently divorcing. So that will be interesting. 

Jen also said she mentioned the Pearls in her interview. 

• Upvote 6
  • Thank You 22

1 hour ago, hoipolloi said:

A few months ago,  the following tweet appeared which makes you wonder:

ThePearloffspring.thumb.png.55c0d8f0fba949f366ae105f6b88f137.png

Interesting tweet! I wouldn’t be shocked if Michael Pearl’s sons in law clashed with him at various times. IME, these types of men don’t like to compromise and don’t like to stand down, so arguments and distance become common (see also: Steve Anderson and all the infighting in his church and amongst his pastors). 
There also has to be some anger about the educational stunting, too. Shoshanna’s attachment is related to her divorce, I’d bet, and a desire for familiarity, even if it’s pretty bad.

Also, the Holts are divorcing? Did we know this?

• Upvote 7

6 minutes ago, apandaaries said:

Interesting tweet! I wouldn’t be shocked if Michael Pearl’s sons in law clashed with him at various times. IME, these types of men don’t like to compromise and don’t like to stand down, so arguments and distance become common (see also: Steve Anderson and all the infighting in his church and amongst his pastors). 
There also has to be some anger about the educational stunting, too. Shoshanna’s attachment is related to her divorce, I’d bet, and a desire for familiarity, even if it’s pretty bad.

Also, the Holts are divorcing? Did we know this?

Yes, the Holt’s are divorcing and one of the adult sons has a restraining order against Jim Holt. I’m sure the interviews took place long before the divorce filing and restraining order. 

And I want to add that Shoshanna lives very close to her parents. I wouldn’t be surprised if her house was on land they owned. She is very reliant on them now that she’s divorced. Her dad comes down to their house everyday. 

• I Agree 1
  • Thank You 13

There's a comment on the YouTube trailer that says B. Holt has a restraining order against husband? Is this discussed elsewhere? I dont follow all the duggars threads. 

Just now, WatchingTheTireFireBurn said:

There's a comment on the YouTube trailer that says B. Holt has a restraining order against husband? Is this discussed elsewhere? I dont follow all the duggars threads. 

Yes, we talked about it somewhere else on FJ. It must have been on the Duggar thread. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, WatchingTheTireFireBurn said:

I see this was just addressed...

Is this getting discussed in a duggar thread somewhere?

4 minutes ago, WatchingTheTireFireBurn said:

I see this was just addressed...

Is this getting discussed in a duggar thread somewhere?

• Thank You 4

34 minutes ago, Manda said:

Link to Jen's video"

Thanks for posting this.  I’m extra excited knowing Jen will be in a few episodes.  🤩 

• I Agree 1

I wonder if FJ will be mentioned at all. We were in Jinger’s book and I’m sure a lot of fundies and ex fundies know about us. Either way, I anticipate some new members.

• Upvote 6

4 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

Yes, the Holt’s are divorcing and one of the adult sons has a restraining order against Jim Holt. I’m sure the interviews took place long before the divorce filing and restraining order

When did this come out? Holts divorcing? Goddang...the world is coming to an end. I know about the restraining orders...what I wouldn't give to be a fly on the wall in that shitstorm. 

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 6

18 hours ago, Manda said:

Link to Jen's video"

Thanks, I'm watching it right now. Jen is in the documentary but her face is not in the trailer (though her voice can be heard at the end). What James just said (at about 10:20) is exciting: I don't care how long you've been snarking on the Duggars, there is information that's going to be in this that you will want to hear.

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 1
  • Thank You 3

22 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

Yes, the Holt’s are divorcing and one of the adult sons has a restraining order against Jim Holt. I’m sure the interviews took place long before the divorce filing and restraining order. 

And I want to add that Shoshanna lives very close to her parents. I wouldn’t be surprised if her house was on land they owned. She is very reliant on them now that she’s divorced. Her dad comes down to their house everyday. 

I have seen nothing about the Holts divorcing. IIRC, both Bobye and her son each filed a restraining order against Jim, Bobye one day and shortly thereafter on another day their son did. No further news about them after that other than to learn the Holts couple are seen speaking in the doc trailer.

Edited by Cam

23 hours ago, feministxtian said:

The impetus may be the shitty education and being unable to really procure gainful employment. (Sorry, watching a movie while typing and my train of thought derails). They'll eventually figure out the disservice their sire and dam did them with the shit SOTDRT education that left them unprepared for the real world. I mean, let's face it...a maybe 6th grade education isn't going to get you very far in life. 

Especially coupled with their unrealistic views on uncontrolled reproduction

• Upvote 4

Pickles and her fan base are miffed that she isn’t included in the special. 🤷‍♀️

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 42
  • Love 1

13 minutes ago, Hane said:

Pickles and her fan base are miffed that she isn’t included in the special. 🤷‍♀️

Oh god is Katie Joy in it? I hope not. Both pickles and KJ should be completely left out of this documentary. 

• I Agree 8

38 minutes ago, Hane said:

Tiny 🎻 🎶 🎵 

24 minutes ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

Oh god is Katie Joy in it? I hope not. Both pickles and KJ should be completely left out of this documentary. 

I don’t think KJ is it or she’d be crowing about her being a star. 

Tia Levings, however, is it. She is a survivor and pretty amazing 

• Upvote 8

2 hours ago, onekidanddone said:

Tia Levings, however, is it. She is a survivor and pretty amazing 

Yes, she is! I follow her on Instagram. She continues to blossom as a person and a writer.  She'll have a book out at some point.  I think the book is completed, but there seems to be quite the lead time between the writer completing the manuscript, the manuscript going to the publisher and the publisher...publishing.  She's an excellent source on all things expected of fundamentalist women.  She talks about Ms. Pecan Thief on occasion and Michelle D.

The Holts: Is this the family that Josh stayed with pending trial?  If so, I recall that the wife did NOT want Josh in the house, and she was overruled by the patriarch. 

Edited by Howl
  • Upvote 6

8 minutes ago, Howl said:

Yes, she is! I follow her on Instagram. She continues to blossom as a person and a writer.  She'll have a book out at some point.  I think the book is completed, but there seems to be quite the lead time between the writer completing the manuscript, the manuscript going to the publisher and the publisher...publishing.  She's an excellent source on all things expected of fundamentalist women.  She talks about Ms. Pecan Thief on occasion. 

The Holts: Is this the family that Josh stayed with pending trial?  If so, I recall that the wife did NOT want Josh in the house, and she was overruled by the patriarch. 

The Holts are longtime friends of the Duggars. Jim Holt and JB have known eachother since their teens. Their oldest daughter was in a relationship with Josh before all the molestations came to light. The wife Bobye testified in the trial against Josh. They have 11 kids. 

• Upvote 3
  • Thank You 7

• nelliebelle1197 locked this topic