IGNORED

Shiny Happy People: A Duggar and IBLP Documentary

CanadianMamam

Prime Documentary release June 2nd! Seems to be very Duggar focused and Jill, Amy and the Holts all talked. 

Edited by Coconut Flan
  • Upvote 14
  • Thank You 27

Amazon has finally put up a date of June 2nd for the upcoming documentary about the Duggars and IBLP that we’ve all been waiting for. “Shiny Happy People”  Could a thread be started with just the topic being the documentary when it comes out? It’d be nice to have a gathering spot to discuss it specifically.

A couple more things: the subtitle of “Shiny Happy People” is “Duggar Family Secrets”. I’m surprised and glad that Duggars will be specifically addressed as opposed to lumping them in with the rest of the IBLP cult. Not sure if naming them in the title is just to get more viewers off of their fame but don’t care, either. 

Also, the Amazon page for the doc says “starring: Jill Duggar”. Hmmmmm. Plus there’s a trailer to watch which includes a snippet of her and Derick sitting on a sofa apparently as she divulges her truths. 

Here’s Amazon’s description: A limited docuseries exposing the truth beneath the wholesome Americana surface of reality tv’s favorite mega-family, The Duggars, and the radical organization behind them: The Institute in Basic Life Principles. As details of the family and their scandals unfold, we realize they’re part of an insidious, much larger threat already in motion, with democracy itself in peril.

IMG_5856.jpeg

• Upvote 3
  • Thank You 29
  • Love 1

Amazon has put up a trailer for the show if you have Prime.

• Upvote 7
  • Thank You 11

The documentary has a thread now.

• Thank You 6

3 hours ago, CanadianMamam said:

Prime Documentary release June 2nd! Seems to be very Duggar focused and Jill, Amy and the Holts all talked. 

I know what I am doing on June 2. 

• Upvote 10
  • I Agree 17

41 minutes ago, TN-peach said:

I know what I am doing on June 2. 

Me too. I watched the trailer several times and am really curious where they go with it. 

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 2

Anyone else wishing they had picked a less earwormy song for the title? REM is now on repeat in my brain 🙃

• Upvote 4
  • Haha 12
  • I Agree 4
  • Thank You 3
  • Love 1

The trailer is on YouTube too: 

2 hours ago, Cam said:

IMG_5856.jpeg

Did JRod design this promo pic?

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 26
  • Thank You 6

Oh I hope there’s very little Amy in it! I would rather hear from Jill thanks. 
Ps: and not much Derrick. 

Edited by JermajestyDuggar
  • Upvote 12
  • I Agree 2

I just watched the trailer.  My former neighbors were into the IBLP and Vision Forum way of life.  Lately I’ve been studying various “high-demand” religions and am glad they are getting more exposure in more popular platforms.  The more light on these movements, the better.  I feel like the Duggars, et al., have really made our society take a step backwards. 

• Upvote 18
  • I Agree 2
  • Love 2

3 minutes ago, anjulibai said:

I hope the Bateses are brought up.

Since the Bateses don’t have a convicted sex offender in the family, I’m afraid they won’t be mentioned much. But they definitely deserve to be.

• Upvote 23
  • I Agree 3

7 minutes ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

Since the Bateses don’t have a convicted sex offender in the family, I’m afraid they won’t be mentioned much. But they definitely deserve to be.

Yeah, they show up for a nanosecond in the trailer and I feel like they will be mentioned in the documentary but barely..I think it will.be all Duggars and Gothard. 

• Upvote 6

I think a saw a clip of Michael Pearl beating a doll. I’m sure he will be mentioned too. 

• Upvote 20
  • I Agree 5
  • Thank You 2

9 minutes ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

I think a saw a clip of Michael Pearl beating a doll. I’m sure he will be mentioned too. 

Yes. That clip is from one of his child-beating demonstrations.

It also looks like they have Kristin Kobes Du Mez, author of Jesus and John Wayne, as one of the experts, which is a good choice.

• Upvote 16
  • I Agree 1
  • Thank You 6

2 hours ago, HereticHick said:

I think they will get mentioned but I feel like if there are any criticisms it will be towards Gil and not anyone else and that the majority of the focus will be on the Duggars and Gothard. 

• Upvote 4

Sorry to be a Debbie Downer but I have a feeling no new info will come out of this documentary.  

• Upvote 8
  • Eyeroll 1
  • I Agree 1

Has this been pasted anywhere yet? 

I wasn’t sure where to put it: 

JILL is in it.

Amy is interviewed

Bates are pictured 

Micheal Pearl clip is in it.

• Upvote 3
  • Thank You 3

I saw it and ran here.  Jill looks pregnant in it - assume it was taped before she had Freddie, so last spring. 

• Upvote 9
  • I Agree 3

I am unreasonably counting down until 6/2. I thought it had maybe gotten dropped but it looks like they are going to expose it all. 

• Upvote 3

• Coconut Flan changed the title to Shiny Happy People: A Duggar and IBLP Documentary
  • nelliebelle1197 locked this topic