IGNORED

Shiny Happy People: A Duggar and IBLP Documentary

CanadianMamam

Could someone explain what Shiny Happy People is? I live in Europe and have never heard about it. Thank you. 

5 hours ago, Howl said:

The Holts: Is this the family that Josh stayed with pending trial?  If so, I recall that the wife did NOT want Josh in the house, and she was overruled by the patriarch. 

Jermajesty clarified on who the Holts were, but just in case they end up coming up for any reason, the family Josh stayed with pre-trial where that happened was the Reber family.

Their daughter, Hannah, who was at home around the time of the trial (their DIL is also named Hannah) has since married David Keller (as in Anna's youngest brother...or as JRod would want you to think, Nurie's BIL). They seemed to have an extremely quick courtship - even by fundie standards, like 5 weeks - and engagement and there had been speculation perhaps it was related to Josh being in the home.

• Upvote 4
  • Thank You 3

On 5/18/2023 at 10:16 AM, JermajestyDuggar said:

Since the Bateses don’t have a convicted sex offender in the family, I’m afraid they won’t be mentioned much. But they definitely deserve to be.

Gil is on the board! They could certainly come up. I hope it happens. 

The Duggars would've been mentioned even if Josh had not been convicted. 

• Upvote 3

37 minutes ago, jakesykora said:

Jermajesty clarified on who the Holts were, but just in case they end up coming up for any reason, the family Josh stayed with pre-trial where that happened was the Reber family.

Their daughter, Hannah, who was at home around the time of the trial (their DIL is also named Hannah) has since married David Keller (as in Anna's youngest brother...or as JRod would want you to think, Nurie's BIL). They seemed to have an extremely quick courtship - even by fundie standards, like 5 weeks - and engagement and there had been speculation perhaps it was related to Josh being in the home.

This will always skeeve me out. It’s always felt like Hannah marrying was JB’s payment to the Rebers for babysitting the pedo.

Edited by Giraffe
  • Upvote 8
  • Disgust 1
  • Eyeroll 1
  • I Agree 3

Someone on Reddit says they got access to an advanced screening and that it goes after the Duggars and IBLP hard, but that the Bates family aren't even mentioned by name..but apparently Jill doesn't pull any punches in terms of her father. 

• Upvote 8
  • Thank You 15

14 hours ago, flowergirl said:

Could someone explain what Shiny Happy People is? I live in Europe and have never heard about it. Thank you. 

The idea is that the Duggar family, and other families who participated in the Institute for Basic Life Principles, look happy and shiny and all put together on the outside but that there is unhappiness and straight up evil lurking just under the family surface. The whole family had a TV show meant to portray a perfect picture of Christianity, but then it turns out that Jim Bob yelled a lot, Josh, the eldest son, was molesting 4 of his sisters and a family friend, and the older girls in the family were being used to raise the younger children when mom Michelle just couldn't (or wouldn't) anymore

So the documentary is using the shiny, happy people phrase as a play on words or a phrase being use ironically.

Edited by SisterCupcake
  • Upvote 14
  • I Agree 1
  • Thank You 1
  • Love 1

20 hours ago, CanadianMamam said:

Someone on Reddit says they got access to an advanced screening and that it goes after the Duggars and IBLP hard, but that the Bates family aren't even mentioned by name..but apparently Jill doesn't pull any punches in terms of her father. 

Too bad! I'm glad at least Gil is guilty by association. The Bates seem to be made of teflon!

• Upvote 4

22 hours ago, CanadianMamam said:

Reddit snark subs are full of fake "insiders", so take it with a grain of salt until you see the doc yourself! That said, I am sure the focus is the Duggars because they are famous.

• Upvote 14

On 5/22/2023 at 4:07 PM, CanadianMamam said:

She apparently says that Boob forged her signature on TLC contracts regarding the birth of Israel episodes. She goes on to say that she was forced to hand over home footage of her hone labor to the show. 

• Upvote 6
  • Confused 1
  • WTF 4

43 minutes ago, marmalade said:

She apparently says that Boob forged her signature on TLC contracts regarding the birth of Israel episodes. She goes on to say that she was forced to hand over home footage of her hone labor to the show. 

Oh man. I hope not. How horrible. How do you deal with your father ever again?!

Also I'm sad to report there's troll dung in here.

• Upvote 7

4 hours ago, nelliebelle1197 said:

Reddit snark subs are full of fake "insiders", so take it with a grain of salt until you see the doc yourself! That said, I am sure the focus is the Duggars because they are famous.

I am definitely taking it with a grain of salt..the person isn't claiming to be a fundie insider, just to having access to a screener copy. They are a regular on the Bates subreddit and had been vocal about hoping the Bates would take some heat from this documentary, so I think they were just trying to warn others not to get their hopes up. 

Documentaries have a story to tell and I could see why the Bates were left out of this one. 

• Upvote 5

14 minutes ago, CanadianMamam said:

I am definitely taking it with a grain of salt..the person isn't claiming to be a fundie insider, just to having access to a screener copy. They are a regular on the Bates subreddit and had been vocal about hoping the Bates would take some heat from this documentary, so I think they were just trying to warn others not to get their hopes up. 

Documentaries have a story to tell and I could see why the Bates were left out of this one. 

The source I heard from says they go after the Duggars and the IBLP, hard. No mention of the Bateses, either way. 

Edited by marmalade
  • Upvote 3
  • WTF 1

6 minutes ago, marmalade said:

The source I heard from says they go after the Duggars and the IBLP, hard. No mentor the Bateses, either way. 

That is what I heard.too and that JB comes off even worse than Josh. The ultimate villain. 

Edited by CanadianMamam
  • Upvote 3

6 minutes ago, CanadianMamam said:

That is what I heard.too and that JB comes off even worse than Josh. The ultimate villain. 

Well, it's not hard to make Boob a villain. I wonder how bad it will be. 

IMO, what Smuggar did was worse than anything Boob could have done, including stealing from his own children. 

• Upvote 10
  • I Agree 2

What’s nice is that Amazon is a popular streaming service. Many people have Amazon. But not everyone has HBO max or Hulu. It would suck if it was in an unpopular streaming service. LulaRich was in Amazon and everyone seemed to watch that. Hopefully a lot of people watch this too.

• Upvote 11
  • I Agree 1

7 minutes ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

What’s nice is that Amazon is a popular streaming service. Many people have Amazon. But not everyone has HBO max or Hulu. It would suck if it was in an unpopular streaming service. LulaRich was in Amazon and everyone seemed to watch that. Hopefully a lot of people watch this too.

Yeah, most people have Prime because it comes bundled with the shopping service. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, marmalade said:

All the weird goings-ons over Sam's birth story and TLC may be beginning to make more sense. 

• Upvote 13

I also think the docuseries format is a good thing too. A lot of people will hesitate to watch a 3 hour documentary but will easily watch 4 45 minute episodes because it seems less daunting. 

• Upvote 13
  • I Agree 1

On 5/22/2023 at 6:07 PM, CanadianMamam said:

Do you have a link? I’m having no luck but want to read the Poster’s comments 

11 hours ago, marmalade said:

That’s horrible. 

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 5

10 hours ago, CanadianMamam said:

I hope they don't put the whole responsibility of Josh's crimes on JB. Even though his upbringing must have played a roll in why he did it, there are still 18 childeren who had the same upbringing and (presumably) did not commit such crimes.

• Upvote 16

28 minutes ago, CarrotCake said:

I hope they don't put the whole responsibility of Josh's crimes on JB. Even though his upbringing must have played a roll in why he did it, there are still 18 childeren who had the same upbringing and (presumably) did not commit such crimes.

Good point & I have to agree. Josh was treated as a king from the time he was born because he was the 1st born son. 

• Upvote 6

36 minutes ago, CarrotCake said:

What should be focused on is how atrociously it was handled. JB&M fucked up royally when it comes to the handling and the aftermath of what Josh did. They didn’t protect their other children. They tried to cover it up. They came up with ridiculous “fixes” that did nothing. That’s what should be the focus. 

• Upvote 13
  • I Agree 21

10 hours ago, FleeJanaFree said:

Do you have a link? I’m having no luck but want to read the Poster’s comments 

The comments are in this thread. Proof-Ingenuity2262 is the poster. 

• Thank You 4

• nelliebelle1197 locked this topic