IGNORED

William & Kate 3

samurai_sarah

Trying to apply some logic here: If Kate said something more racist than Lady Susan Hussey did (who is conveniently deemed not racist by H&M) why were we fed the boring lipgloss story in the first place?

• Upvote 8

3 hours ago, viii said:

Someone on Reddit said that it didn't say Catherine, but Princess of Wales. That would have been Camilla at the time, so perhaps Kate isn't even involved? I haven't read any of the Dutch translations to verify which names were used. 

I would say that given in the text it was saying it was the King and Princess of Wales having the conversation it would be referring to Kate, as the King can only be Charles and upon his promotion Kate was then Princess of Wales. Mind you, I wouldn't trust Scobie not to try and muddy the waters and claim he misunderstood if it turns out I've misinterpreted that and it was Camilla. It's definitely strongly suggesting it's Kate though, but gives a bit of room for interpretation. And given the lack of distrust for the author and his questionable former actions I don't trust it isn't intentional.

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 1

13 hours ago, FrumperedCat said:

I would say that given in the text it was saying it was the King and Princess of Wales having the conversation it would be referring to Kate, as the King can only be Charles and upon his promotion Kate was then Princess of Wales. Mind you, I wouldn't trust Scobie not to try and muddy the waters and claim he misunderstood if it turns out I've misinterpreted that and it was Camilla. It's definitely strongly suggesting it's Kate though, but gives a bit of room for interpretation. And given the lack of distrust for the author and his questionable former actions I don't trust it isn't intentional.

I understand that many people dislike what he is saying. But I haven't seen any evidence that he's untrustworthy. I don't understand disparaging a messenger who carries a message you don't like. There are even some people on twitter who twist his name into something derogatory or silly, or make fun of how he looks. 

Edited by Destiny
remove accidental double post
  • Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

19 hours ago, viii said:

I don't doubt that conversations were had. I think it's likely that Harry didn't think much of the conversations, because it's probably something he wondered himself. It wasn't until he told Meghan the conversation that she grew upset. She's dealt with a lot of microaggressions, and was probably more sensitive to remarks considering her deteriorating  relationship with Kate. 

Either way, it's not my place to tell Meghan she shouldn't have been upset. The BRF has a long history of racism before Meghan and during Meghan. I'm not surprised she took offense, even if none was intended. 

I can absolutely see and understand M getting upset. For once because she felt treated unfairly, was very pregnant and felt vulnerable. And H seems to be completely oblivious so I wouldn’t trust him to not upset his wife even more in the way he talks and recalls things. 
I also wouldn’t necessarily deny that there were remarks that overstepped the line between being intrigued and being at least racially biased. And misunderstandings can happen. My problem is that they failed to address this. H, if M felt she couldn’t, most definitely could have talked to his father about how his remarks weren’t ok. Kate or Camilla might be a different topic. But  they/he didn’t. Instead they did it on TV. Kate sent flowers after both made each other cry. I can see her being wiling to clear the air around such a topic. And if it only would be to be absolved and unscathed and not because she actually thought she needed to apologise. 

The whole story is so complicated though because H&M have lost all their credibility. One racist conversation. Several racist conversations. No they never said the family was racist whatsoever. And we are back to two racists in one(?) conversation.

Add all the other lies (wedding, Archie bit not going to be a Prince because of his possible skin colour, not being involved in Finding Freedom) and only ever working on the level of “their own truths”. 
But I am not willing to brush it, especially her feelings, off the table- no matter if it was objectively problematic or taking offence around a misunderstanding and it could have been cleared easily. I heavily do lean towards the latter.

PrincessMicheal is a different topic whatsoever. Her behaviour is just bad and while I am sure the RF has the same issues with dealing with old horrible relatives as many of us, HMTQ and now Charly should have told her this behaviour wouldn’t fly anymore. That is a krass oversight on their behalf. Just like their way of dealing with Andrew and Fergie (and to a way lesser extent H&M).

No matter what though- Wiliam will not forgive his brother (guilty by proxy) for another good decade or two.

Edited by just_ordinary
  • Upvote 6
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 2

I think it’s less of a crass oversight and more that majority of the elderly BRF share similar beliefs. I mean, look how comfortable Lady Susan Hussey felt, making her racist remarks in public.

This is clearly an atmosphere that these people feel comfortable in their beliefs. I think some are actual racists, such as Princess Michael, whereas others are racially biased. You’d have to be to be a part of the royal family. The BRF has a long history of colonizing and refusing to make amends for their past. The entire institution is based on racial misgivings. 

MESS. 

• Upvote 2

Today, William and Catherine are going about business and are welcoming Crown Princess Victoria and Crown Prince Daniel to Windsor Castle. 

Charles is in Dubai for a climate change conference COP28.

• Upvote 1
  • Love 1

Maybe Because they have actual jobs and responsibilities ,choose to look forward not backward and possibly listen to advisors about getting into pointless and detrimental mudslinging ;)

• Upvote 4

4 hours ago, viii said:

I think it’s less of a crass oversight and more that majority of the elderly BRF share similar beliefs. I mean, look how comfortable Lady Susan Hussey felt, making her racist remarks in public.

This is clearly an atmosphere that these people feel comfortable in their beliefs. I think some are actual racists, such as Princess Michael, whereas others are racially biased. You’d have to be to be a part of the royal family. The BRF has a long history of colonizing and refusing to make amends for their past. The entire institution is based on racial misgivings. 

MESS. 

And Lady Susan Hussey really suffered no consequences. She was seen at other royal functions later on. She stayed within the fold.

• Upvote 2

On 11/29/2023 at 1:58 PM, viii said:

You also have to remember that this is the family where a member wore a racist brooch to meet Meghan. So the history is there, and she was likely sensitive, plus pregnant. An overreaction isn't a surprise. 

I guess the apple doesn’t fall far from the Nazi SS tree.

• Upvote 3

On 11/29/2023 at 1:58 PM, viii said:

You also have to remember that this is the family where a member wore a racist brooch to meet Meghan. So the history is there, and she was likely sensitive, plus pregnant. An overreaction isn't a surprise. 

Do we have any right to say it's an overreaction? Or dismiss her feelings because pregnancy hormones? I imagine she got pretty tired of all the microagressions.

An overreaction would be screaming and yelling. She tried to talk to Charles (or write to him, I forget). That seems like a perfectly appropriate reaction. 

Why would she be expected to ignore or tolerate microagressions? 

On 11/29/2023 at 3:31 PM, viii said:

Obie is infamous for lying, so I wouldn't trust anything he says. 

He knows more about the royals than we do, since he's met them and traveled with them. He's far more credible than, say, Tom Boyer. 

However, even Boyer may make some good points. I don't dismiss people because I don't like their message.

On 11/30/2023 at 10:12 AM, tabitha2 said:

Maybe Because they have actual jobs and responsibilities ,choose to look forward not backward and possibly listen to advisors about getting into pointless and detrimental mudslinging ;)

To be fair, they really don't have jobs. They have a houseful of servants and staff to do any jobs that arise.  And they are very well compensated for whatever work (shaking hands, waving, walkabouts, etc) they actually do. 

As for H&M, if they've made enough money to avoid the 9-to-5 grind, more power to them. Since they will be paying for security for the rest of their lives, I think they'll work in some capacity for many years, no matter how rich they are. At least they earn their own money, though.

Edited by Jackie3

2 hours ago, omilona said:

It’s not a “racist brooch”. It’s a Moretto di Venezia, which depicts a sultan not a slave. They are made, to this day, by Nardi in Venice. Nardi is one of the most famous jewelers in the world. https://www.thefrenchjewelrypost.com/en/style/nardi-moor-venice/

That link is broken so here is the Nardi site https://www.nardi-venezia.com/en/categories/brooches

• Thank You 1

3 hours ago, omilona said:

It’s not a “racist brooch”. It’s a Moretto di Venezia, which depicts a sultan not a slave. They are made, to this day, by Nardi in Venice. Nardi is one of the most famous jewelers in the world. https://www.thefrenchjewelrypost.com/en/style/nardi-moor-venice/

A white guy--Alberto Nardi--has decided that this piece of jewelry is not offensive to Black people. Thanks, Nardi!

However, the rest of the world knows it's racist, which is why Princess Michael apologized. I can't imagine taking her side on this matter, since she has a history of making racist remarks.

You can be one of the most famous jewelers in the world and still say offensive things. Trump is one of the most famous men in the world, and he offends people right and left.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, marmalade said:

Correct me if I am wrong, but I thought an apology was issued. 

Yes. A spokesman said the princess "is very sorry and distressed that it has caused offense ".  Source (BBC)

That was in 2017  

• Thank You 3

It was worn in extremely poor taste, enough that an apology was warranted. But I'm not surprised by @omilona defending the choice, she hates Meghan enough that she'll defend anyone who shits on her. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 4
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Haha 1
  • Love 1

Louis is attending the christmas carol service at Westminster Abbey tonight (it‘s a first for him) with his family.

• Upvote 5

20 hours ago, omilona said:

I don't care who designed it or who it is "supposed" to be.  When I looked at the link at the pieces I cringed and they made me uncomfortable. 

• Upvote 6

Guys, we really don't need to defend an obviously racist brooch.  I took a look and cringed as well.  That brooch may be made by one of the most famous jewellers in Venice, but it's a pretty cringy piece.  And that apology was a pretty big non-apology, as far as those things go.  

We don't need to diminish Megan's actual experiences with racism within the upper eschalons of British society (and that can be a very racist bunch), to find the "he said, she said, no wait, no they didn't, oh, no yes, they did" drama to start feeling a bit old.  But I have no doubt she experienced micro-aggressions all the time. I'm not convinced it was intentional from Charles, Camilla, or Katherine, but as a privileged white person myself, who tries very hard to be aware of my privilege and internalized racism, I still am always learning how to be a better ally.  

I have to be honest, I'm a little over this particular story however, because it's been years and years and years, and it's starting to feel a bit milked for drama at this point.  But let's not diminish Megan's actual experiences with blatant racism. 

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 5
  • Thank You 2
  • Love 1

51 minutes ago, prayawaythefundie said:

Kensington Palace has released this year‘s christmas card picture:

https://www.vogue.com/article/prince-william-kate-wales-family-christmas-card-2023

It's so badly photoshopped.

Look at Louis' legs. One leg is wearing shorts and the other long pants?

Look at his hand on the chair--he's missing a middle finger. 

• Downvote 1
  • Eyeroll 2

• Coconut Flan locked this topic