IGNORED

William & Kate 3

samurai_sarah

7 hours ago, viii said:

omg please no. I cannot handle the Crawford discussion again 😭

My curiosity is battling with my sense of self preservation. 

Is anyone watching The Crown? They’ve got an awful lot to say about William being a stink after Diana’s death. I wonder if any of it was true.

Though my favorite moment this season was Harry’s infamous Nazi costume party and one of his male friends going in full drag as Queen Elizabeth. 

• Upvote 1

Long story short a very beloved and trusted long time Teacher and Governess  who was a second mother to the young Princesses Elizabeth and Margaret  and absolutely adored them in return by the name of Marian Crawford wrote a innocuous Book for a good amount of money about  the girls childhood against  the expressed wishes of the QM and they completely cancelled her from their lives.Till the day she died they (or really QM but Elizabeth listened to her mother) would not forgive or acknowledge her . Bear in mind  They provided for her comfortably after her retirement with a royally furnished cottage on the grounds and she had her pension so she was not suffering and she knew well how the family operates, thinks Etc.

Just like now Staff/friends  who speak/write/interview publicly about the families private lives  are considered traitors even if it’s great things. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thank You 2

5 hours ago, Father Son Holy Goat said:

Is anyone watching The Crown? They’ve got an awful lot to say about William being a stink after Diana’s death. I wonder if any of it was true.

Though my favorite moment this season was Harry’s infamous Nazi costume party and one of his male friends going in full drag as Queen Elizabeth. 

I‘m watching but I haven‘t gotten to the party yet. There is a podcast on spotify named The Crown: Fact or Fiction which I started but as of now they have only released one episode covering this season‘s beginning. Not sure if they will continue it. 

I liked The Crown in the past but think they ruined the first half of this season by making it a very weird Diana show. I do hope for a better second half. 

ETA: I could imagine there being some truth to a bereaved teenager being a stink.

Edited by prayawaythefundie
  • I Agree 2

I love The Crown! I know it’s not 100% historically accurate, but I enjoy it. Usually on IMDB’s trivia for each section it has info on what is accurate and what is not.

Now, I will say that as these last episodes move into the William and Kate era it does feel a little odd because they’re both still alive (I know Elizabeth was alive when the series began but it was still decades in the past and the ability to be reflective is better from a distance), and the mark they leave on the monarchy won’t be known for many more decades, but it’s still a fun peek behind the curtain. I always felt a kinship towards William and Kate because we all graduated the same year, and while I ended college with an engagement, rumors were swirling that theirs would be announced anytime. All that summer I was planning my wedding and following all the tabloids about them and was disappointed when they broke up. I was happy when they got back together and always assumed that Harry and Chelsy would follow the same path…date, break-up, makeup, etc (maybe with a few more breakups but ultimately ending up together).

Edited by DalmatianCat
More thoughts
  • Upvote 1
  • Thank You 1

11 hours ago, Father Son Holy Goat said:

The first thing to remember about The Crown is some/most of the scenes are complete or nearly complete fiction.  At best it's a dramatization of a few known facts.  

I'm still watching it, but I enjoyed the earlier seasons more.  I don't know whether it's I don't remember real life from the earlier seasons very much or the series has truly gone down hill.

I find the second half of the final season Harry to be quite jarring.  

Edited by Coconut Flan
  • Upvote 4
  • I Agree 1

There goes my hope for the last season. I just nearly died of second-hand embarrassment when

Spoiler

they had William narrate Elizabeth‘s jubilee speech to the Middletons just to then understand his fate and drive back to London for the balcony appearance.

It‘s just so bad.

• Upvote 1
  • I Agree 1

10 hours ago, prayawaythefundie said:

There goes my hope for the last season. I just nearly died of second-hand embarrassment when

Hide contents

they had William narrate Elizabeth‘s jubilee speech to the Middletons just to then understand his fate and drive back to London for the balcony appearance.

It‘s just so bad.

That part was bad.

• I Agree 1

I do like how unattractive the Harry character is. It contrasts sharply with the real young Harry, who was very handsome. It sort of discredits their whole Harry storyline. You watch it and say, "That's not Prince Harry!"

The Waleses shared a Christmas photo of a very young Kate. If anyone‘s still wondering who Louis looks like:

Spoiler

IMG_9043.jpeg

Edited by prayawaythefundie
  • I Agree 1
  • Thank You 3
  • Love 2

In a recent podcast, Mike Tindall revealed that he calls William "one pint Willy" because he is not a very strong drinker compared to rugby players.  That's funny. 

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 1

On 12/16/2023 at 5:20 AM, prayawaythefundie said:

I‘m watching but I haven‘t gotten to the party yet. There is a podcast on spotify named The Crown: Fact or Fiction which I started but as of now they have only released one episode covering this season‘s beginning. Not sure if they will continue it. 

I liked The Crown in the past but think they ruined the first half of this season by making it a very weird Diana show. I do hope for a better second half. 

ETA: I could imagine there being some truth to a bereaved teenager being a stink.

I adored the first two seasons (Claire Foy was just a gem), enjoyed the third and fourth, and have really hated the almost exclusive focus on Diana with Elizabeth being shoved to the background. I think the last episode I truly enjoyed was the one from season 5 about the fallout from the Russian Revolution.

I loved the movie The Queen from the same writer, about Elizabeth's reaction to Diana's death. I feel like the writer got carried away with Diana's story and was doing what he wished he'd had time to do with that movie. But he made it about Diana and not the queen, which made it way too slow and moody. 

• Upvote 6

I wonder if Peter Morgan (the writer) said to himself, ",I've already done the queen. Let's see this from Diana's perspective." .

That's the only way I can think of to have made this last season, especially those first 4 episodes, turn out as they did. 

• Upvote 4

7 hours ago, EmiSue said:

I adored the first two seasons (Claire Foy was just a gem), enjoyed the third and fourth, and have really hated the almost exclusive focus on Diana with Elizabeth being shoved to the background. I think the last episode I truly enjoyed was the one from season 5 about the fallout from the Russian Revolution.

I loved the movie The Queen from the same writer, about Elizabeth's reaction to Diana's death. I feel like the writer got carried away with Diana's story and was doing what he wished he'd had time to do with that movie. But he made it about Diana and not the queen, which made it way too slow and moody. 

4 hours ago, marmalade said:

I wonder if Peter Morgan (the writer) said to himself, ",I've already done the queen. Let's see this from Diana's perspective." .

That's the only way I can think of to have made this last season, especially those first 4 episodes, turn out as they did. 

Peter Morgan should make a spin-off called The Princess. I’d watch it but I tune into The Queen to see things from Elizabeth’s point of view. 

9 hours ago, marmalade said:

No, I think a tall hot blonde will garner more viewers than an old lady dealing with prime ministers. Diana and her love life is just better content.

Three observations from the Christmas walkabout:

- They finally put Louis in long trousers (tartan ones). 

- The Wales and the Tindall family look very, very close.

- Andrew and Sarah were there. 

• Upvote 3

I was surprised to see Louis in long pants. I didn’t think he was old enough, according to their standards. 

William and Zara have always been close, and you can see that bond has continued through their children. It’s cute to see. 

I think this is the first year Fergie has been on a Christmas walk since the divorce. That’s like… 30 years. I guess the rumours about her being back in the family fold once Phil and Liz dipped may be true. 

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 1

2 hours ago, viii said:

I was surprised to see Louis in long pants. I didn’t think he was old enough, according to their standards. 

Probably the same as in other families - by kid number 3, the rules are relaxed a bit. Like in other families, where parents are determined with their first they won’t have sugar or watch TV before they are x years old. By the time they have kid number 3, those rules go out the window.

• Upvote 1
  • I Agree 2

5 hours ago, viii said:

William and Zara have always been close, and you can see that bond has continued through their children. It’s cute to see. 

I think this is the first year Fergie has been on a Christmas walk since the divorce. That’s like… 30 years. I guess the rumours about her being back in the family fold once Phil and Liz dipped may be true. 

The Queen was appeasing her husband by keeping SF out of the way as much as possible while she also was thinking of her son and granddaughters by still having her live in their fold. I imagine it got tense and salty more than once behind those ornate doors when they invariably crossed paths. But Charles is a new broom and here we are. Nobody cares anymore. 

• Upvote 7

6 hours ago, viii said:

He isn‘t but I think their team picked up on last year‘s vibes when it was very cold and not so well-received to have a young boy wear shorts while a not much older step cousin was allowed to wear long pants.

• Upvote 3

Another takeaway from the Christmas walk was how close the Waleses and the Tindalls are to each other.  Louis and Mia holding hands walking into church.  Mike with his arm around George when they are leaving.  Mia and Charlotte looking like great friends. 

Mike's interactions looked like he embraces the "fun uncle" role even though they are technically cousins.  Hopefully, the Wales children will be able rely upon the Tindall children as adults like William relies upon his friendship with Zara. 

• Upvote 4
  • Love 1

It's interesting Mike Tindall hugged George in a place where there were tons of cameras pointed at him.

George doesn't look particularly happy. HIs face is not filled with love.

On 12/26/2023 at 12:47 AM, viii said:

If someone had excluded and rejected me for 30 years, I'm not sure I'd rush to go on their Xmas walk. I'd have found something better to do long ago. Fergie, apparently, did not.

Talk about cashing in on your royal titles! Fergie did plenty of that! Wrote books, gave interviews, sold juicers . . . . Was that the reason for her rejection? I no longer remember. It starts to remind me of high school.

Did they relent because she had cancer? To rehabilitate Andrew (look, someone loves him!)? I don't think it's because the Queen (the real queen) is dead, because if that were the case, she would have been included last year. 

On 12/26/2023 at 12:23 AM, prayawaythefundie said:

Three observations from the Christmas walkabout:

- They finally put Louis in long trousers (tartan ones). 

- The Wales and the Tindall family look very, very close.

- Andrew and Sarah were there. 

I'm wondering if there was a lot of hate towards Andrew on that walk. He's brought a lot of shame to the family.

For that matter, Fergie shilling her juicer was the epitome of monetizing on her title.

The Wales and the Tindalls. . . I wonder how much of that was done for the media. The BRF knows that the public thrives on stories of the "loving royal family."

"The cousins are so close!"

"Look at how George loves his uncle!" (George did not seem to appreciate the "hug" to me, lol)

The public eats this stuff up. Seems only natural the royals would play it up. 

I admit that the two kids holding hands was cute, but I wonder if the kids were set up. "Would you hold hands with Louis during the walk, and keep an eye on him?" As a young girl, I'd have felt so important being treated like a babysitter (or a nanny, in this case).  "You and Mia hold hands during our walk today, OK? Good boy." 

Getting back to Andrew. . .it's not a great look. . . tolerating Andrew but trashing the nonwhite family member in California.

I'm so astonished at the royal fans who show up at Sandringham. They say they love the royals, but they really love the Wales children. That's who they want to interact with. That's who they've driven hours to see.

Article after article discuss how fans did not give little Mia any toys or flowers. Fans wanted to give them to Charlotte, George or Louis. In one case, Mia went to collect some from a fan and was apparently told they were for Charlotte.

Imagine walking along that path in Sandringham, knowing the gifts and flowers were not for you. If you walk towards a fan, you are likely to be told, "Can you give this to your cousin?" or "Can you tell your cousin to come here?" If you look at the pics, MIa holds nothing in her arms, unless she is given something by one of the Wales.

This can't be good for the Wales children either. The message they get is, "I am special. I am better than my cousins. I am the best. People care about me, not them." This is the kind of attitude that creates narcissists like Andrew. 

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...

To be morbidly honest, I don't think we'll have much time to really see how Charles will be as King. He won't have a 70 year reign like his mother did. He'll be lucky if he gets 15, I think. 

• I Agree 6

• Coconut Flan locked this topic