IGNORED

Carlin and Evan 13: Living on SM Income

Coconut Flan

I relied pretty heavily on convenience food when my kids were the ages of her two kids. But I admit even uncrustables were too much for me. I didn’t give my kids a choice. They had to eat the crust. So I made the PB n Js with crust. I’m not that strict about food. But I wasn’t going to start cutting off the crusts. It just seemed like too much of a waste. 

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 1

I recall Carlin cooking early on in their marriage, and it always turning into a funny “omg what a disaster Carlin can’t cook and ruined the meal and now we have to order takeout”

Re: car seats - I didn’t know about rear-facing until recently when we had our own baby. I do remember her saying that their pediatrician told them at her two year old appointment that they could face her forward. Here in Canada the recommendation is to wait until they’re at least 2, but ideally as long as possible since it’s safer. It does make me surprised when I see people front-facing their 18 month olds, for example, but I wonder how common knowledge it is. 

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 2

Okay, so let the buyer beware.. That should be the biggest rule, but of course it's 'we know they are GOODGODLY PEOPLE so we're just handing them money.'

This is why it annoys me when people like them homeschool.
Because they have no business putting out even more undereducated people out into the world.

Sorry if that sounds elitist, but really. They don't want their kids in school because it's too 'controversial' and it's been that way for much longer than the shootings have happened. School and an education should never be controversial.

Unless it's Kanye's school.

• Upvote 8

6 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

Why stop at 4 or 5? If you don’t backwards face your kids until they are 16 you are risking their lives. 

Rear-facing would be safest for adults too, but for obvious reasons you can’t drive a car rear-facing. But there are rear-facing car seats that kids up to 6-7-8 y can use depending on size of the kid, so why not use them? The neck of a little child breaks a lot easier than that of an adult and the proportions of a child is different with the head being a much bigger part compared to an adult, which means that a forward facing child injures easier than an adult in a car crash. Of course there’s a lot of lack of knowledge in this area and I’d want to blame the manufacturers of car seats for keeping producing forward facing car seats for small children, but they make what sells. 
Apologies for bad English.

• Upvote 7

7 hours ago, Keys said:

I recall Carlin cooking early on in their marriage, and it always turning into a funny “omg what a disaster Carlin can’t cook and ruined the meal and now we have to order takeout”

Re: car seats - I didn’t know about rear-facing until recently when we had our own baby. I do remember her saying that their pediatrician told them at her two year old appointment that they could face her forward. Here in Canada the recommendation is to wait until they’re at least 2, but ideally as long as possible since it’s safer. It does make me surprised when I see people front-facing their 18 month olds, for example, but I wonder how common knowledge it is. 

I actually think most people know it’s safer. But it’s not always the safer option in my opinion. A child puking/getting car sick or screaming constantly certainly doesn’t help with the drivers performance. Which is most definitely making an accident more likely. Most parents stick to the laws and then some more if the seating situation is working out well. 
I don’t know about other countries, but it can also be a money point. Older or very tall children need bigger seats and the rear facing option is often at the more expensive end of the spectrum. Especially because I would assume parents that feel strongly about safety only buy seats with a good valuation and not some crappy cheap stuff.

But then- that’s not the hill I am dying on. I rather judge nutrition and electronic entertainment consume 😜

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, just_ordinary said:

I actually think most people know it’s safer. But it’s not always the safer option in my opinion. A child puking/getting car sick or screaming constantly certainly doesn’t help with the drivers performance. Which is most definitely making an accident more likely. Most parents stick to the laws and then some more if the seating situation is working out well. 
I don’t know about other countries, but it can also be a money point. Older or very tall children need bigger seats and the rear facing option is often at the more expensive end of the spectrum. Especially because I would assume parents that feel strongly about safety only buy seats with a good valuation and not some crappy cheap stuff.

But then- that’s not the hill I am dying on. I rather judge nutrition and electronic entertainment consume 😜

Yeah, the puking, which started when I was very very small, passed down to more than one of my kids. I'm not the only person I know who gets sick just from being in the back of a car, or on a train where the seats haven't been reversed for the trip direction. 

The booster seats my kids were in from about age 2 would not impress anyone younger in this forum. But it's what we had, and the younger ones were meant to be in them until age 8, but were far too tall by then; I was working with what was available at the time. 

• Upvote 5

If we want to get technical, what’s safest is not going anywhere in a car with your kid. We rarely went anywhere in our car when my kids were small. I was a SAHM and we could actually walk a lot of places. So I guess we get to be the smuggest of all. But Oh no! We turned our kids forward around 18-24 months because of puking and meltdowns in the car for those few times we did drive anywhere. Sorry but this topic makes me roll my eyes pretty hard. If your kid is properly fastened into their car seat whether forward or backward, they are about a million times safer than not being restrained at all. The children who went over a cliff a few months ago in a Tesla were in forward facing car seats and they walked away with minor injuries. Buckle your kids up in their proper car seats. Decide if forward facing or back facing is right for you and don’t judge others who choose differently. I swear there’s always some way you can judge someone’s parenting. 

• Upvote 18
  • I Agree 2
  • Love 5

Carlin said Zade weighs 1 lb less than Layla. She said Layla is low percentile and Zade is high precentile but both are tracking along their growth curves fine. 

• Upvote 2

12 hours ago, gobucks said:

Carlin said Zade weighs 1 lb less than Layla. She said Layla is low percentile and Zade is high precentile but both are tracking along their growth curves fine. 

This makes sense. All kids are different. I have a skinny kid. He is 11 and in the 25th percentile for weight, but he always had been. As his doctor said, it's not the percentile that matters, it's consistency. 

• Upvote 4

On 5/23/2023 at 8:12 AM, JermajestyDuggar said:

If we want to get technical, what’s safest is not going anywhere in a car with your kid. We rarely went anywhere in our car when my kids were small. I was a SAHM and we could actually walk a lot of places. So I guess we get to be the smuggest of all. But Oh no! We turned our kids forward around 18-24 months because of puking and meltdowns in the car for those few times we did drive anywhere. Sorry but this topic makes me roll my eyes pretty hard. If your kid is properly fastened into their car seat whether forward or backward, they are about a million times safer than not being restrained at all. The children who went over a cliff a few months ago in a Tesla were in forward facing car seats and they walked away with minor injuries. Buckle your kids up in their proper car seats. Decide if forward facing or back facing is right for you and don’t judge others who choose differently. I swear there’s always some way you can judge someone’s parenting. 

When my son was a baby in the mid '90s forward vs. rear seating went by weight.  He was almost 11 pounds at birth and because of his size as an infant, was beginning to outgrow the baby seat by three months old.  The pediatrician told us that based on our son's size, we could place him a forward-facing regular car seat at three months old, which we did.  Until recently, I never realized we were doing anything wrong. 

The irony of the whole thing is that although my son's growth was off the charts as an infant, it slowed considerably as he grew older-to the point that he still needed a small bottom booster seat at age 11.  Which we did not get rid of until we consulted our pediatrician.  And that was because our son asked us to.  

• Upvote 1

On 5/22/2023 at 10:47 AM, SassyPants said:

Unfortunately, churches are just as much a soft target as schools.  They might even be bigger targets as I don’t know any church that locks the doors once services begin.  I bet their kids will go to some sort of Sunday and Wednesday night classes. 

The church we attend does lock the doors once services begin.  There is always someone on the security team in the foyer to let you in if you are late.  There are cameras pointed at all areas of the parking lot.  There are men who are wearing earpieces and concealed carrying.  

• Sad 1
  • WTF 6
  • I Agree 1

1 hour ago, whitney37354 said:

The church we attend does lock the doors once services begin.  There is always someone on the security team in the foyer to let you in if you are late.  There are cameras pointed at all areas of the parking lot.  There are men who are wearing earpieces and concealed carrying.  

Ditto, ours does the same thing.

1 hour ago, whitney37354 said:

very creepy. 

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 13

Unfortunately the only places of worship around here that need security are the synagogues. Because antisemites. Cop cars are usually parked out front on Jewish holidays during services. 

• Upvote 3
  • Sad 9
  • I Agree 2

We don't feel a sense of danger, and I am not sure the doors are locked.  But I do know that a member of the security team is patrolling during service.  We have various Bible studies during the week with no security patrol.  Our church is just kind of isolated with the parking lot behind the building, so I think it's just precaution.

Edited by SoSoNosy

Today's video was basically more question and answer...but "assumptions" this time. It seemed very obvious to me that it was "oh now we have to create a sponsored video by X date....what will we do?!" so they filmed this content that's pretty much the same type of content from last week. Very very bland.

The only thing of very mild interest was that they said Layla was a "surprise" and that they didn't intend to get pregnant so soon and that they messed up....something...They didn't say what. For all we know they planned for thoughts and prayers to stop them getting pregnant. They said they wouldn't advise other people getting pregnant that fast and that their first year of marriage was very hard. Evan said Layla made him grow up faster. And they mentioned it was hard to focus on each other because of having a child so quickly. 

The white/pale clothes, walls, couch....ugh. how can people live in blankness?! Poor kids. Like an art museum without any art. 

• Upvote 8
  • Thank You 1

It’s a low bar but I’m impressed when the second generation is open about controlling their family size.

(Or attempting to, lol)

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 13

Was the "We don't judge people. We leave that up to God and it is the right thing to love everyone" a load of crap or do they really feel that way? Carlin said she has been judged based on her lifestyle and beliefs and it doesn't feel good so that is why she doesn't do that to others. Just makes me wonder if she feels that way about the cousin that is gay or abortions or etc. 

• Upvote 4

45 minutes ago, gobucks said:

Was the "We don't judge people. We leave that up to God and it is the right thing to love everyone" a load of crap or do they really feel that way? Carlin said she has been judged based on her lifestyle and beliefs and it doesn't feel good so that is why she doesn't do that to others. Just makes me wonder if she feels that way about the cousin that is gay or abortions or etc. 

I think it's steaming pile of 💩

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 1

Oh I am sure they are hyper judgemental. And they act on it by protesting (or harassing) and voting.

I think what she means is that she doesn’t go up to someone and starts harassing them face to face. So a gay cousin would probably be treated nice enough- no shutting doors in the face, no pray away the gay over dinner (maybe some emphasise on forgiving sins and finding back on the right path but not openly directed at the individual), not telling them they’ll go to hell. They probably wouldn’t let the children stay alone with them though. 
As far as “not judging” goes, it’s rather superficial. 
And I am sure a gay cousin would know the little things and not feel super comfortable around them..

• Upvote 6

If they ever actually answer any "shocking" or serious questions/assumptions I may blink a couple extra times.

They've said on other videos the same xtian blah blah they did today.  What does loving everybody mean anyway when you spend every moment of your day/life in your carefully crafted bubble where you see and interact with nobody but like minded people 99% of the time (I assume they get some haters here and there)

• Upvote 3

On 5/25/2023 at 6:29 AM, whitney37354 said:

Fuck that. Thank god for gun control. 
i can’t believe a “civilised” country has to live Ike that. 

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 12
  • Love 1

5 hours ago, WatchingTheTireFireBurn said:

The only thing of very mild interest was that they said Layla was a "surprise" and that they didn't intend to get pregnant so soon and that they messed up....something...They didn't say what. For all we know they planned for thoughts and prayers to stop them getting pregnant.

They were probably intending to use natural family planning/the rhythm method. Since that's definitely not a foolproof way to prevent pregnancy and there's no chance these two ever received any form of sex ed, I would have been more surprised if they hadn't gotten pregnant within a few months of their wedding.

• Upvote 3

Layla called Evan taking care of her and Zade babysitting, which seemed odd to me, especially as the video seemed to make it set out that this is a regular occurrence. Now, Evan was actually explaining how he did some housework while he was taking care of the kids, which is a low bar, but one many fundie dads don’t clear. I also had the impression that they don’t really believe in submission as much as other people, they were big on “were a team”, and Evan specifically mentioned that they make decisions together. If there’s a crazy disagreement, he probably still has the final say, but seemed much different to other fundie people we’ve seen.

• Upvote 11

44 minutes ago, tanba said:

. I also had the impression that they don’t really believe in submission as much as other people, they were big on “were a team”, and Evan specifically mentioned that they make decisions together. If there’s a crazy disagreement, he probably still has the final say, but seemed much different to other fundie people we’ve seen.

I think that has more to do with his personality than with their beliefs to be honest. He seems like a chill person i cant see him being a controlling husband. 

The thing Carlin said about feeling judged by other christians herself its not surprising since they have taken some choices that are a bit out there for their circles like working outside the home or the unmodest clothes. But i dont think that means they are less judgy themselves, i think Carlin and Evan are too social media savy to openly state their hateful homophobic views like Jackson and Emy did with that post yesterday about target, or even to like the post like Josie, Michaella or her friend Joy did. But that means they dont share the same views? I dont believe it for one second.

• Upvote 5
  • Thank You 1

• nelliebelle1197 locked this topic