IGNORED

Erin and Chad 10: Will they homeschool?

samurai_sarah

1 hour ago, clueliss said:

I didn’t hate it.  Granted it is in shades of neutrals and white.  But the three girls seemed to live it and were really excited.

It is a great use of space. A triple bunkbed and a toddler bed in a tiny room and still looks spacious. They definitely dont have room for any more girls though.

• Upvote 5

8 hours ago, llucie said:

Erin did a remodel video of the girls room. They have moved Finley in there too, i hope this doesnt mean they need the nursery in Carsons closet for a new blessing.

She said 'eventually'. So I think Finley is still in Carson's room until she is out of the crib and then she will be in the big girl room but they are planning ahead (which is smart). 

I love the dusty rose and sage green accents. 

• Upvote 4

Chad and Erin should have had that room and the primary bedroom given to the four girls. The triple bunk was cute, though and a good use of space. I wonder if any of those children like primary colours? 

• Upvote 3

14 minutes ago, Markie said:

Chad and Erin should have had that room and the primary bedroom given to the four girls. The triple bunk was cute, though and a good use of space. I wonder if any of those children like primary colours? 

Erin actually mentioned in the future when the girls are older, having them take the primary bedroom and then taking the smaller room. However, Chad very quickly next to that one so I think I know who’s decision that has been

• Upvote 2

On 4/9/2023 at 1:43 PM, Markie said:

The triple bunk is fine now. However, as they get taller/bigger, that is going to be an issue. God forbid one of the girls is claustrophobic. 

• Upvote 12

Chad and Erin really do have mad skills when it comes to space planning and remodeling.  Where it falls flat for me is Erin's decorating.  While it is beautiful, it is so inappropriate for young girls.  Those shelves should be filled with toys/dolls, and artwork appropriate to kids - not knick knacks from the clearance aisle at Target.  

This is where you can see the Bates failed their kids with lack of a proper education.  Had Erin been encouraged to attend a real college (even to study piano) she would have been exposed to classes such as art, decorating, graphic design, etc. that would have helped her learn to design for an appropriate audience/client.

• Upvote 6
  • WTF 1
  • I Agree 1

1 hour ago, Queen Of Hearts said:

Chad and Erin really do have mad skills when it comes to space planning and remodeling.  Where it falls flat for me is Erin's decorating.  While it is beautiful, it is so inappropriate for young girls.  Those shelves should be filled with toys/dolls, and artwork appropriate to kids - not knick knacks from the clearance aisle at Target.  

This is where you can see the Bates failed their kids with lack of a proper education.  Had Erin been encouraged to attend a real college (even to study piano) she would have been exposed to classes such as art, decorating, graphic design, etc. that would have helped her learn to design for an appropriate audience/client.

I don’t even think it’s a lack of education on design. I think it’s the lack of consideration for her kids. She doesn’t give a single fuck about what they like. The majority of parents I know take their children’s likes and dislikes into account when it comes to decorating rooms. Most girls like certain animals, colors, movie characters of some kind. So one girl might love unicorns while another might love Frozen. Erin just does what she likes and doesn’t care that much of her girls like it. Which is insane because her parents did the same thing to her. When she moved into their first home she made her bedroom so pink that it looked like pepto bismol exploded all over it. She finally got to decorate a bedroom the way she wanted it. Now she is depriving her children of the same thing. 

• Upvote 26
  • I Agree 3

6 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

I don’t even think it’s a lack of education on design. I think it’s the lack of consideration for her kids. She doesn’t give a single fuck about what they like. The majority of parents I know take their children’s likes and dislikes into account when it comes to decorating rooms. Most girls like certain animals, colors, movie characters of some kind. So one girl might love unicorns while another might love Frozen. Erin just does what she likes and doesn’t care that much of her girls like it. Which is insane because her parents did the same thing to her. When she moved into their first home she made her bedroom so pink that it looked like pepto bismol exploded all over it. She finally got to decorate a bedroom the way she wanted it. Now she is depriving her children of the same thing. 

Yes agree- she literally said she was decorating the room how she liked it and hoped the girls did as well.

I'm wondering how functional the space will be in a couple years. I know the youngest isn't even in the toddler bed yet, but I'd assume she'd grow out of it rather quickly. That room cannot hold 4 girls 4yrs+, right??

• Upvote 3

14 minutes ago, front hugs > duggs said:

Yes agree- she literally said she was decorating the room how she liked it and hoped the girls did as well.

I'm wondering how functional the space will be in a couple years. I know the youngest isn't even in the toddler bed yet, but I'd assume she'd grow out of it rather quickly. That room cannot hold 4 girls 4yrs+, right??

Erin squeezed 4 kids in a tiny room in Tennessee. It was ridiculous. But she did it. She will squeeze children in small spaces like JRod but she will do it with pretty things so people will give her a pass. 

• Upvote 8
  • I Agree 2

I'm picky as hell about my house, but my kids chose their bedding, wall color, and decor. The floors and blinds/window treatments were up to me and my husband. We had some... unique rooms over the years. I just tried to chill out and enjoy their bright, crazy, fun decisions. 

• Upvote 7
  • Love 1

48 minutes ago, fluffernutter said:

I'm picky as hell about my house, but my kids chose their bedding, wall color, and decor. The floors and blinds/window treatments were up to me and my husband. We had some... unique rooms over the years. I just tried to chill out and enjoy their bright, crazy, fun decisions. 

When I was a teen, I painted the inside of my closet purple and black. The purple shade I chose was the exact shade in Monica and Rachel’s apartment on friends. I loved their apartment. Then I painted a rainbow mural inside the door. So when I opened my closet, it was like this awesome secret. I loved it. I’m glad my parents let me be creative with my room. When I was around 9, I chose the brightest pink possible for my walls. It was neon. It was a mistake but my parents allowed me to make that mistake. The color I chose to cover it up a few years later was a very dull gray. I went from one extreme to another. Because I got so sick of that pink so quickly. Erin won’t allow her children to make mistakes when decorating their rooms.

• Upvote 5
  • Love 6

Erin's makeup on the planning video for the girls' room on IG is abysmal! Her face is super dark, and then she's all white and shiny around her eyes. She looks like an owl.

• Upvote 3

On 4/13/2023 at 7:58 AM, Queen Of Hearts said:

You don't need to go to college to know that kids should have some say over their own room. I've known plenty of uneducated people who realize that kids need to express themselves. Erin is just selfish.

On 4/9/2023 at 4:43 PM, Markie said:

I thought the middle bunk looked terribly squashed and depressing. 

• I Agree 1

Crib/toddler bed mattresses are around 51 inches long. Bateses aren’t known for being particularly tall. Therefore Erin will squeeze the youngest in a toddler bed for as long as possible. Just like JillRod does. I bet she will make the youngest stay in a toddler bed until she’s 7 because the room isn’t big enough for 4 girls. 

• Upvote 5

On 4/14/2023 at 2:25 PM, Crodzy said:

Erin's makeup on the planning video for the girls' room on IG is abysmal! Her face is super dark, and then she's all white and shiny around her eyes. She looks like an owl.

I thought I was the only one who noticed that. Between that and her gum popping, she is on my misophonia trigger list.

I’m posting this here since Erin is a Paine. Fundie wiki says Joe’s new pregnant wife is a widow. 

4700B07E-B7E4-4799-BDF5-28A1D240CBC8.jpeg

• WTF 1
  • Thank You 1

I watched Erin’s video. I will start with the positive. Chad is super skilled at carpentry. I’m impressed. I feel proud of myself if I can put together IKEA furniture! He’s beyond amateur level. 

I don’t so much have issue with Erin not letting the kids express themselves, although it would be nice if she did, but I take serious issue with filling MULTIPLE shelves with cheap shit from Target. None of those objects had any personal significance, no framed photos, no so and so’s jewelry box, no one of grandma’s plates from her wedding china, just bland impersonal random crap that will collect dust. I don’t get it. Especially for someone who is going to great lengths to utilize small spaces. They installed those massive shelving units to fill them with junk?? Build them up to the ceiling and use them for actual storage! Toys, books, clothes, jewelry, stationery, etc. For FOUR people! And instead you choose to buy more pale generic vases to group by 2??

And don’t get me started on “decorating” with books. She turns them backwards!!!! And chooses books based on color. It’s blasphemy. I spotted the Secret Garden in there somewhere, not that those girls will ever know it bc they’re just staring at a stack of bound blank paper! Killed me. What kind of message does that send to kids about books??

Meanwhile, she sets out one low bookshelf and talks about how much she loves books and encourages reading and tries to have books everywhere. No, you don’t, Erin!

Also, the beds. They’re way too low. Those girls are still little and they can’t even sit up in them. And the toddler Murphy bed looks like a death trap. That could easily fall and crush a kid if they climbed into the windowsill and took out those pins. 

My BEC comments — if she says heighth one more time…is that a SOTDRT thing? I have never heard anyone say that. And she kept calling it a Murphy’s bed. It also bugs me that she says fill instead of feel. I know other southerners who do that, but I don’t think any other Bateses do. Erin definitely has the most distinctive accent and I can’t figure out why or where it came from. And the makeup! I think it’s gotten worse lately. It looks like it’s from a child’s Barbie cosmetic set. Is this some attempt to be even more ultra feminine? She would also benefit from some heated styling tools. I think she’s using 50s-style foam rollers in her hair. 

It’s hard for me to imagine being them or being in their situation. But if someone said to me, you have to live in this house with these 5 children, I would give a bunch of them the master. Make a comfortable non-cordwood stacked room for the 4 girls. If that wasn’t an option, I would have put carson and Brooklyn in one room and the younger ones in a room. And if I had to fit 4 girls into that exact room I think I would maybe take off the door and use the closet as extra square footage, which she already did in Carson’s room. Focus on function over knick knacks. Holland is still young enough for a toddler bed herself. Start with one set of normal-sized bunk beds, a toddler bed and a crib. Maximize space and comfort. 

• Upvote 11
  • Thank You 3

@Johannah I had the exact same thoughts about the knick knack shelves, the decorative books and the triple bunks, just too lazy to type it all out. Erin seemed more concerned about giving an interior design tutorial than making the room into a space of their own for the girls. And do kids really need plants in their bedroom? Maybe it would have been cute if each girl chose a pot and a plant for the windowsill.

• Upvote 5

20 hours ago, JDuggs said:

@Johannah I had the exact same thoughts about the knick knack shelves, the decorative books and the triple bunks, just too lazy to type it all out. Erin seemed more concerned about giving an interior design tutorial than making the room into a space of their own for the girls. And do kids really need plants in their bedroom? Maybe it would have been cute if each girl chose a pot and a plant for the windowsill.

Hell each girl could have easily painted a pot. Erin would have made them paint in white, beige, brown, and grey. Remember how she chose the colored pencils for the drawing Carson made for his room? She’s ridiculous.

• Upvote 6

On 4/15/2023 at 10:13 PM, Johannah said:

I watched Erin’s video. I will start with the positive. Chad is super skilled at carpentry. I’m impressed. I feel proud of myself if I can put together IKEA furniture! He’s beyond amateur level. 

I don’t so much have issue with Erin not letting the kids express themselves, although it would be nice if she did, but I take serious issue with filling MULTIPLE shelves with cheap shit from Target. None of those objects had any personal significance, no framed photos, no so and so’s jewelry box, no one of grandma’s plates from her wedding china, just bland impersonal random crap that will collect dust. I don’t get it. Especially for someone who is going to great lengths to utilize small spaces. They installed those massive shelving units to fill them with junk?? Build them up to the ceiling and use them for actual storage! Toys, books, clothes, jewelry, stationery, etc. For FOUR people! And instead you choose to buy more pale generic vases to group by 2??

And don’t get me started on “decorating” with books. She turns them backwards!!!! And chooses books based on color. It’s blasphemy. I spotted the Secret Garden in there somewhere, not that those girls will ever know it bc they’re just staring at a stack of bound blank paper! Killed me. What kind of message does that send to kids about books??

Meanwhile, she sets out one low bookshelf and talks about how much she loves books and encourages reading and tries to have books everywhere. No, you don’t, Erin!

Also, the beds. They’re way too low. Those girls are still little and they can’t even sit up in them. And the toddler Murphy bed looks like a death trap. That could easily fall and crush a kid if they climbed into the windowsill and took out those pins. 

My BEC comments — if she says heighth one more time…is that a SOTDRT thing? I have never heard anyone say that. And she kept calling it a Murphy’s bed. It also bugs me that she says fill instead of feel. I know other southerners who do that, but I don’t think any other Bateses do. Erin definitely has the most distinctive accent and I can’t figure out why or where it came from. And the makeup! I think it’s gotten worse lately. It looks like it’s from a child’s Barbie cosmetic set. Is this some attempt to be even more ultra feminine? She would also benefit from some heated styling tools. I think she’s using 50s-style foam rollers in her hair. 

It’s hard for me to imagine being them or being in their situation. But if someone said to me, you have to live in this house with these 5 children, I would give a bunch of them the master. Make a comfortable non-cordwood stacked room for the 4 girls. If that wasn’t an option, I would have put carson and Brooklyn in one room and the younger ones in a room. And if I had to fit 4 girls into that exact room I think I would maybe take off the door and use the closet as extra square footage, which she already did in Carson’s room. Focus on function over knick knacks. Holland is still young enough for a toddler bed herself. Start with one set of normal-sized bunk beds, a toddler bed and a crib. Maximize space and comfort. 

I think her speech is based on the same thing a lot of fundies have/do and that's that whispery speech and using buzz words. It makes for a weird, fake, sometimes stilted sounding speech pattern.  Her other sisters don't do it, but, they're also not as deep in the cult as she is. She seems to have gone more fundy since she had COVID, surgery and leaving BSB.

Edited by Smoochie
  • Upvote 2

On 4/16/2023 at 4:13 AM, Johannah said:

I take serious issue with filling MULTIPLE shelves with cheap shit from Target. None of those objects had any personal significance, no framed photos, no so and so’s jewelry box, no one of grandma’s plates from her wedding china, just bland impersonal random crap that will collect dust.

I completely agree, except I don’t think it’s a good idea to put wedding china into a kids’ bedroom, especially not an irreplaceable keepsake. 😂

But I completely agree on the waste of space! Rooms tend to get more cluttered when there is not enough shelf/storage space, so why put SO MANY useless knickknacks on there when these shelves could be used for books or toys?

Also, there are ways to decorate a kids bedroom in a certain aesthetic while still accomodating your kids’ interest. For example, if you like sage and pastels and your kid likes dinosaurs, just go for dinosaur decorations in these colors. You can get so much inspiration (and shopping links) from Etsy, instagram and pinterest these days for all kinds of themed bedrooms or easy-to-customize furniture, especially if you like what’s on trend currently (which all these fundie influencers do).

I’m against exploiting kids on social media, but they don’t mind, so this could even be extra content - asking their kids what they like, planning with each kid how to include their favorite theme or interest into the new room etc… But they just don’t care enough.

• Upvote 7

On 4/14/2023 at 10:30 PM, Jackie3 said:

You don't need to go to college to know that kids should have some say over their own room. I've known plenty of uneducated people who realize that kids need to express themselves. Erin is just selfish.

I thought the middle bunk looked terribly squashed and depressing. 

Thank you. This is NOT directed toward anyone here, but classism is a terrible problem in American society IMO. People throw around phrases like "trailer trash" and it's just really mean and distressing. It's a prejudice that most of us (very much including me) need to be reminded of sometimes, because it's not as obvious as racism or sexism. Again, I am NOT calling out anyone here. More reminding myself and maybe others that stereotypes can be so insidious. You guys are such a good group and I learn from you daily. Hugs to you all!

• Love 7

On 4/13/2023 at 6:03 AM, JermajestyDuggar said:

I think Erin is essentially living her parents' life right now. Nobody cared what she wanted in a bedroom when she was a kid. That was decided by Kelly Jo, Gil and the lack of money. So like with the pink bedroom she is essentially carrying on the tradition that being grown and married means you are the boss of all decisions, she has created it and expects the girls to just love it. I get that decorating by committee of children isn't ideal, but even Carson, who has his own room with a nursery in the closet got very little say in his bedroom. 

Edited to add: we did get a BUB episode where Josie, Carlin, Katie, and Tori decorated the girls room. Josie who is all about beige now wanted gray and jewel tones. Tori didn't want it to change. However, I don't think that was something Gil and Kelly wanted. It was more about the show and a storyline.

I'm trying hard to be more minimalist. However, I can't help but think that is a nice size closet but it has to fit three (soon four) girls' sets of clothes. They have so few toys even if Erin is keeping boxes under the couch. Per interviews before they had a show, Erin said the Bates girls were rarely in their room during the day unless they needed privacy. Still it feels a little sad that these girls have a bed to call their own and can't even sit up all the way on it without ducking their heads. The shelving storage is nice but she isn't really storing anything there. Do the girls not have little jewelry boxes with necklaces, etc.? With the cheap looking decor on the shelves, there was little purpose for the shelves. You can have functional and pretty.

Also I hope Brooklyn isn't too temp sensitive. She's got the HVAC vent right above her. I also thought it was sad there was so little in there that when Erin asked the girls what was there favorite part, one said the rug and her bed. 

Edited by rebeccawriter01
  • Upvote 7

40 minutes ago, rebeccawriter01 said:

I think Erin is essentially living her parents' life right now. Nobody cared what she wanted in a bedroom when she was a kid. That was decided by Kelly Jo, Gil and the lack of money. So like with the pink bedroom she is essentially carrying on the tradition that being grown and married means you are the boss of all decisions, she has created it and expects the girls to just love it. I get that decorating by committee of children isn't ideal, but even Carson, who has his own room with a nursery in the closet got very little say in his bedroom. 

Edited to add: we did get a BUB episode where Josie, Carlin, Katie, and Tori decorated the girls room. Josie who is all about beige now wanted gray and jewel tones. Tori didn't want it to change. However, I don't think that was something Gil and Kelly wanted. It was more about the show and a storyline.

I'm trying hard to be more minimalist. However, I can't help but think that is a nice size closet but it has to fit three (soon four) girls' sets of clothes. They have so few toys even if Erin is keeping boxes under the couch. Per interviews before they had a show, Erin said the Bates girls were rarely in their room during the day unless they needed privacy. Still it feels a little sad that these girls have a bed to call their own and can't even sit up all the way on it without ducking their heads. The shelving storage is nice but she isn't really storing anything there. Do the girls not have little jewelry boxes with necklaces, etc.? With the cheap looking decor on the shelves, there was little purpose for the shelves. You can have functional and pretty.

Also I hope Brooklyn isn't too temp sensitive. She's got the HVAC vent right above her. I also thought it was sad there was so little in there that when Erin asked the girls what was there favorite part, one said the rug and her bed. 

I hate that they took out the ceiling fan, I could not sleep in a room without circulation.

• Upvote 4

5 minutes ago, raayx01 said:

I hate that they took out the ceiling fan, I could not sleep in a room without circulation.

And they live in FL. Many houses have ceiling fans even though those same houses have AC. You can usually keep the AC on a higher temp and save money if you leave the ceiling fans on when sleeping. They likely had to take it out due to the bunk bed. I doubt Erin would allow an ugly box fan in the room for circulation. The horror!

• Upvote 3

• Coconut Flan locked this topic