IGNORED

Erin and Chad 10: Will they homeschool?

samurai_sarah

5 minutes ago, Kiki03910 said:

JANESSA?

Youngest daughter of Jill & David Rodrigues, a fundie couple w/ 13 kids who, like Erin, believe in squishing their kids into small sleeping spaces while enjoying comparatively more spacious accommodations for themselves. 

• Upvote 5

5 hours ago, SassyPants said:

My kids (late 80s and 1990) were of the stamp and stencil wall era. How many walls did I stamp, sponge, stencil? The world may never know.

My room was a pale purple that you could only see as purple in one light... And then they stenciled sun moon and stars for me...

My mom, on the other hand, painted the kitchen white (black and white tile) and then sponge painted red splatches all over the kitchen. It looked like a crime scene.

• Haha 13

14 minutes ago, sndral said:

Youngest daughter of Jill & David Rodrigues, a fundie couple w/ 13 kids who, like Erin, believe in squishing their kids into small sleeping spaces while enjoying comparatively more spacious accommodations for themselves. 

So many assholes; so little time. Thanks!

• Haha 10

1 hour ago, fluffernutter said:

Uggggh to the sponging, I was in college for interior design and my future mil "hired" me to sponge paint her entire living/dining/hallway in their split level, and underneath the chair rail in their downstairs. That process turned me off the look forever. And they only JUST repainted last year in preparation to sell their house.  And the color they painted? Benjamin Moore classic gray, because they asked me. 🤣 (It's a great baseline color for staging and selling a house, I swear it's true).

A real estate friend of mine calls that classic gray..."agreeable gray."

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 2

37 minutes ago, rebeccawriter01 said:

A real estate friend of mine calls that classic gray..."agreeable gray."

Agreeable gray is in the sherwin Williams line. Very popular as well!

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 3

I remember being disappointed as a kid because I wanted a pink room, and my parents would only let me choose the palest shade of pink (like you almost couldn’t tell it was pink, lol). But they also wanted to use my room as a guest room. I still wasn’t too happy about it as a 6 year old, haha. 

I have to say, when we were house hunting for our first house a couple years ago, we looked at a few houses that had been recently renovated, and they were all painted grey in every room. It was actually a turnoff for us - felt like every room was the same, no uniqueness and nothing special or appealing. We’ve painted our house shades of grey and beige (it was 90s/early 2000s shades of darker taupes), but we’ve made accent walls in the primary bedroom and living room, and our kitchen/dining area has a really nice fireplace which was a big drawing factor too. :)

• Upvote 4

When i was a kid my parents told me they were painting my room. I dont guess it ever occurred to them to ask my opinion. But I was completely devastated to find it was just going to be repainted plain white.

I still feel that child wonder followed by crashed hope and disappointment! 

• Upvote 3
  • Love 3

6 hours ago, fluffernutter said:

Agreeable gray is in the sherwin Williams line. Very popular as well!

Every single room in my parents' house is painted that color. It's so boring. 

As for my house- my living room is salmon pink, my kitchen is navy blue, my bedroom is green (with a William Morris wallpaper accent wall), the guest room is blue, and my stairwell is covered with this wallpaper. I love all the color! My office does have white walls, but the ceiling is painted bright blue. Decorating has been my favorite part of home ownership.

• Upvote 6
  • Love 6

2 hours ago, indianabones said:

As for my house- my living room is salmon pink, my kitchen is navy blue, my bedroom is green (with a William Morris wallpaper accent wall), the guest room is blue, and my stairwell is covered with this wallpaper. I love all the color! My office does have white walls, but the ceiling is painted bright blue. Decorating has been my favorite part of home ownership.

My daughter's house is full of color too. She has an amazing sense of style that is completely different from mine. She probably needs the color after growing up in all my Sad Beige. 🤣

• Haha 4

2 hours ago, indianabones said:

I love William Morris wallpapers but the EXPENSE! An accent wall is a good idea

• Upvote 4

4 hours ago, indianabones said:

I love that paper. I wish wallpaper was cheaper. I would love to paper one wall in my kitchen. It would be gorgeous. But hundreds of dollars. 

• Upvote 1

Apologies if I'm beating a dead horse, but I can't stop thinking about Erin's decorating "skills". And I've come to the conclusion that she actually has no clue what books are actually for. In her mind, they are decorative objects, to be arranged by colour and shape, stuffed under plants, and put into neat stacks — but never ever to be actually read. That's my only explanation. Honestly, the way she treats books drives me mad.

• Upvote 14
  • I Agree 2

26 minutes ago, Nothing if not critical said:

Apologies if I'm beating a dead horse, but I can't stop thinking about Erin's decorating "skills". And I've come to the conclusion that she actually has no clue what books are actually for. In her mind, they are decorative objects, to be arranged by colour and shape, stuffed under plants, and put into neat stacks — but never ever to be actually read. That's my only explanation. Honestly, the way she treats books drives me mad.

I do get pretty annoyed when homeschooling fundies don’t have tons of children’s books in their home. It’s literally the least they can do as a proud and vocal homeschooling parent. I know these people shop at goodwill and all the thrift stores because they talk about it. So I know they see the large amounts of very cheap children’s books in every damn thrift store they enter. So why don’t they buy them by the box?! If you want to be a decent homeschooler, you either have to make weekly trips to the library or you need to buy books to make your own home library. It’s just that simple.

• Upvote 9
  • I Agree 4
  • Love 1

22 minutes ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

I do get pretty annoyed when homeschooling fundies don’t have tons of children’s books in their home. It’s literally the least they can do as a proud and vocal homeschooling parent. I know these people shop at goodwill and all the thrift stores because they talk about it. So I know they see the large amounts of very cheap children’s books in every damn thrift store they enter. So why don’t they buy them by the box?! If you want to be a decent homeschooler, you either have to make weekly trips to the library or you need to buy books to make your own home library. It’s just that simple.

And before all that, you have to encourage and role model reading in your home! On my side of the family there are 7 grandkids, my daughter and 6 boys. My kids are the oldest, and all the others are also adults (ages 35-22). My son, GK #2, has always been a voracious reader, and would ask my parents for books, at Christmas and birthdays,  So, my mom would buy all the kids books as gifts thinking all kids must love books too. Most of the other kids despised that!

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, SassyPants said:

And before all that, you have to encourage and role model reading in your home! On my side of the family there are 7 grandkids, my daughter and 6 boys. My kids are the oldest, and all the others are also adults (ages 35-22). My son, GK #2, has always been a voracious reader, and would ask my parents for books, at Christmas and birthdays,  So, my mom would buy all the kids books as gifts thinking all kids must love books too. Most of the other kids despised that!

My kids are 10 and 8 and they can be quite picky about what they read. They want something engaging. They don’t mess with anything they deem boring. So that’s why I have so many books for them in our house. Because I want to make sure they can find a book that will interest them. So yes, we have a lot of silly books. Like Captain Underpants and Diary of a Wimpy Kid books. But hey, they’re reading. So oh well if it’s not Wuthering Heights. 

Edited by JermajestyDuggar
  • Upvote 5
  • Thank You 1

6 minutes ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

My kids are 10 and 8 and they can be quite picky about what they read. They want something engaging. They don’t mess with anything they deem boring. So that’s why I have so many books for them in our house. Because I want to make sure they can find a book that will interest them. So yes, we have a lot of silly books. Like Captain Underpants and Diary of a Wimpy Kid books. But hey, they’re reading. So oh well if it’s not Wuthering Heights. 

My Gd is a reluctant reader as she is an audio learner. She is 8 and loves books like Dog Man…my daughter forces “non twaddle” (her words), but has slowly learned that with kids like this, you have to let them choose. She loves all those books written in comic book style. Any book that references poop, pee, farting, and she is all about it.

• Upvote 3

28 minutes ago, SassyPants said:

My Gd is a reluctant reader as she is an audio learner. She is 8 and loves books like Dog Man…my daughter forces “non twaddle” (her words), but has slowly learned that with kids like this, you have to let them choose. She loves all those books written in comic book style. Any book that references poop, pee, farting, and she is all about it.

We also have Dogman books. And Stick Dog. And Plants Vs Zombies. My kids like comic book style too. 

• Upvote 1

One decorating thing that makes me cringe regarding books is putting them on the shelf page-side out. Ugh! I love books! And I love when you go to a friend's house, and they have a bookshelf and you can just peruse away. That's a decorating trend that I do not like at all.

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 12

I hate when people style by colour. Urghhh no. All my Harry’s go together all my sets go together, I don’t care if the colours are mismatched…

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 7

4 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

So yes, we have a lot of silly books. Like Captain Underpants and Diary of a Wimpy Kid books. But hey, they’re reading. So oh well if it’s not Wuthering Heights. 

:handgestures-salute:

• Upvote 2
  • Love 1

You guys are funny...they don't want to encourage reading. So why would they model reading? Why would they provide a variety of interesting books?

You don't succeed in spreading your controlling cult viewpoints if people are *thinking* for themselves or if they have an inner world populated by imagined stories and characters that you don't control.

You guys...so silly. I just don't think you will.run effective cults.

• Upvote 12
  • Haha 2

25 minutes ago, WatchingTheTireFireBurn said:

You guys are funny...they don't want to encourage reading. So why would they model reading? Why would they provide a variety of interesting books?

You don't succeed in spreading your controlling cult viewpoints if people are *thinking* for themselves or if they have an inner world populated by imagined stories and characters that you don't control.

You guys...so silly. I just don't think you will.run effective cults.

What’s funny is that I always see TONS of children’s Christian books at thrift stores. I know some fundies are very picky and only allow the Christian books. So they could actually buy a lot from the thrift store. But they don’t! It’s crazy.

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 3

33 minutes ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

What’s funny is that I always see TONS of children’s Christian books at thrift stores. I know some fundies are very picky and only allow the Christian books. So they could actually buy a lot from the thrift store. But they don’t! It’s crazy.

I see them a lot too.

I have a theory about that...older people like to give them as gifts but kids in general don't like them so off to the thrift store they go.

• Upvote 5

2 hours ago, fluffernutter said:

One decorating thing that makes me cringe regarding books is putting them on the shelf page-side out. Ugh! I love books! And I love when you go to a friend's house, and they have a bookshelf and you can just peruse away. That's a decorating trend that I do not like at all.

Erin did that on a desk in her old house. I thought it looked terrible. 

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 1

2 hours ago, AussieKrissy said:

I hate when people style by colour. Urghhh no. All my Harry’s go together all my sets go together, I don’t care if the colours are mismatched…

I have a friend who is very into decor and she suggested I group my books by size and color and I sort of stared at her. My friend is a reader too, so I have no idea what she was on. 

The books in my living room are cultivated and are the most visually pleasing books I have.  Cookbooks, graphic novels and some cool non-fiction that make good conversation starters. But they are organized in a logical manner. 

• Upvote 6

• Coconut Flan locked this topic