IGNORED

Maxwell 56: Mary Found Freedom to Get Engaged

Coconut Flan

2 hours ago, anniebgood said:

I was watching Wheel of Fortune the other night and one of the women on it said Oh My-Lanta. 

When my daughter was a toddler, my sister had some stomach troubles. One day she said, “Auntie, you want Your-Lanta?”

• Haha 10
  • Love 2

On 1/7/2023 at 2:23 PM, JermajestyDuggar said:

My husband and I didn’t even have engagement pics done. I just didn’t bother. I figured wedding pics would be enough. But I do want to take my family to sears  and get a picture where my husband is a floating head and the rest of us are not floating heads. They were popular in the 80s and I think they are hilariously awkward. 

F9455D09-FB42-4622-93DE-C697C2BC9F68.jpeg

I’m very late in replying to this, but I just had to because it made me laugh until I cried! 😂

My mom actually had one of these sort of composit photos made of me when I was in 4th grade or so (or maybe it was an add-on to the standard school photo? I don’t recall) - but yeah, it’s really, really weird.

• Upvote 1
  • Love 4

On 1/16/2023 at 9:12 PM, anniebgood said:

I was watching Wheel of Fortune the other night and one of the women on it said Oh My-Lanta. Sajak  took a double take and moved on. 

My ob/gyn asked my husband where I learned to cuss like a sailor. Evidently coming out of anesthesia I let loose. I have a few choice ones that I still use but mainly when I'm driving. 

LOL My kids said that at school--"Oh My Lanta" because "cussing" (as we say in S Ohio) was against the rules. Lol fun mememory from mid 2000s

• Upvote 3

I'm thrilled that Mary and Sam look so happy, but.....I wish she had picked a different dress. The sneakers are cute, but the dress has too much of an "old rag" vibe to me.

• Bless Your Heart 1
  • Eyeroll 1

1 hour ago, moreorlessnu said:

I'm thrilled that Mary and Sam look so happy, but.....I wish she had picked a different dress. The sneakers are cute, but the dress has too much of an "old rag" vibe to me.

Maybe I'd say that for someone else who is a snappy dresser, but for Mary (after years of starched paisley frumpers and then all those heavy ankle-length denim and khaki skirts) I think something so free and casual is just about perfect. It doesn't have that "I put on this maxi skirt so my in-laws won't judge for the uncomfortable engagement photos my future SIL is going to take" look like Chelsy and John's pics, and it's not them sitting side by side but not touching EVER like Christopher and NR-Anna.

• Upvote 16
  • I Agree 10

On 1/18/2023 at 6:24 PM, IReallyAmHopewell said:

LOL My kids said that at school--"Oh My Lanta" because "cussing" (as we say in S Ohio) was against the rules. Lol fun mememory from mid 2000s

Once in the car with all of us children (four in four years!) my mother got irritated and said “oooooh shhh……..SUGAR FOOT!” Not only did it break the tension but it became my favorite non-cursing curse word. 

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 8

On 1/18/2023 at 5:38 PM, moreorlessnu said:

I think it's perfect for the setting.

They're in a garden center, that dress is gardening-chic. You wouldn't actually garden in it, but it gives and/or matches the vibes of working on raised gardening beds or in a greenhouse.

• Upvote 12

On 1/16/2023 at 4:24 PM, MamaJunebug said:

PURE RUDICULOUSITY!

Thank you for a laugh on a somber day. 

My Vermont schoolteacher grandmother had two favorite near-swears, which were “Judas priest” and “by the Jesus”.  
I don’t recall Gram being a churchgoer, but she could put the fear of the Almighty in her students.

On 1/15/2023 at 6:43 PM, Red Hair, Black Dress said:

It might be fellowship, but I doubt that it's ever sweet for the woman

“Lie back and think of heaven??”

• Upvote 5

On 1/18/2023 at 11:59 AM, FunDieDumDum said:

I’m very late in replying to this, but I just had to because it made me laugh until I cried! 😂

My mom actually had one of these sort of composit photos made of me when I was in 4th grade or so (or maybe it was an add-on to the standard school photo? I don’t recall) - but yeah, it’s really, really weird.

Floating-Head Dad looks a lot like George Jones. But the mom is most certainly not Tammy Wynette!

• Haha 7

On 1/16/2023 at 8:20 PM, Hane said:

When my daughter was a toddler, my sister had some stomach troubles. One day she said, “Auntie, you want Your-Lanta?”

She and I must have similar brains -- when I was a toddler, we visited my grandparents, whose home had stairs, unlike our own one-story home.  

After several days of adults asking "want me to carry you?" each time we needed to go up or downstairs, I caught on quick and from then on would stand at the top or bottom of the stairs, raise my arms to be lifted, and ask "Carry you?"

• I Agree 1
  • Love 6

On 1/19/2023 at 2:38 AM, moreorlessnu said:

It reminds me the dress of Barbie in the Dreamhouse episodes. I think Mary looks cute and she seems to have her own casual dressing style.

• Upvote 6

9 hours ago, church_of_dog said:

She and I must have similar brains -- when I was a toddler, we visited my grandparents, whose home had stairs, unlike our own one-story home.  

After several days of adults asking "want me to carry you?" each time we needed to go up or downstairs, I caught on quick and from then on would stand at the top or bottom of the stairs, raise my arms to be lifted, and ask "Carry you?"

Until my daughter was two years old, she referred to herself as “you,” too! She’d say things like “Change you?” and “You don’t like it.” I was concerned and asked an early childhood expert I knew, who told me that this is just as normal as kids who refer to themselves in the third person.

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 2

Is it funny only to me that the advthst popped up here on a topic related to The Original Anna Maxwell featured a plaid jacket?

Only me?  It’s okay, the Junedog thinks everything I say is humorous. 

One of my larvae called fruit cocktail “fruit cockatoo,” and another called it “fruit cocktato.”  Great memories ❤️ !

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1
  • Love 3

I can’t remember if we have discussed college friend Nicole’s pictures posted on Facebook of the max sisters doing college things. Nicole is always a good source of college pictures of the Maxwells. I’m not going to write her last name because I don’t want her to go private. But I can post a few pics she’s posted of them having fun. 

BE4BC43C-5BF8-459F-8ADA-BCE3603318D9.jpeg

80029FC5-5E74-4A12-9435-B536922DEDE7.jpeg

Edited by JermajestyDuggar
  • Upvote 3
  • Thank You 20

Who would have thought 10 years ago which was about the time I started following the Maxwells, it was the Sarah lacks gratefulness post that intrigued me that we would see this...Sarah married and living out of state, Anna and Mary going to college, John married a Bontrager, Joe , John,, and Jesse move away from Maxhell,  Jesse and his bride rent an apartment, Mary is engaged, Maxwomen and girls wearing pants (Teri and Anna2 the exception of course), Maxmen and boys wearing shorts (except for Steve and Chris), and going to a normal church and not a nursing home one run by Steve.

Edited by SPHASH
ETA John moving away from Maxhell
  • Upvote 16

18 minutes ago, SPHASH said:

Who would have thought 10 years ago which was about the time I started following the Maxwells, it was the Sarah lacks gratefulness post that intrigued me that we would see this...Sarah married and living out of state, Anna and Mary going to college, John married a Bontrager, Joe and Jesse move away from Maxhell,  Jesse and his bride rent an apartment, Mary is engaged, Maxwomen and girls wearing pants (Teri and Anna2 the exception of course), Maxmen and boys wearing shorts (except for Steve and Chris), and going to a normal church and not a nursing home one run by Steve.

And Anna sitting next to a Christmas tree and blow up Santa. Doesn’t Steve hate Christmas trees and Santa? 

• Upvote 9
  • Haha 11

19 hours ago, Hane said:

Until my daughter was two years old, she referred to herself as “you,” too! She’d say things like “Change you?” and “You don’t like it.” I was concerned and asked an early childhood expert I knew, who told me that this is just as normal as kids who refer to themselves in the third person.

When our daughter was learning to talk she referred to both of us as Mama.  My husband just rolled with it.

• Upvote 9
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

I can’t remember if we have discussed college friend Nicole’s pictures posted on Facebook of the max sisters doing college things. Nicole is always a good source of college pictures of the Maxwells. I’m not going to write her last name because I don’t want her to go private. But I can post a few pics she’s posted of them having fun. 

BE4BC43C-5BF8-459F-8ADA-BCE3603318D9.jpeg

80029FC5-5E74-4A12-9435-B536922DEDE7.jpeg

Pants, Santa, a Christmas tree—-be still my heart😳

1 hour ago, SPHASH said:

, Maxmen and boys wearing shorts (except for Steve and Chris), 

Chris does strike me as a tighty whitey guy.   
oh, you meant outer wear shorts!  I knew that.  

• Haha 13

4 hours ago, Granwych said:

Pants, Santa, a Christmas tree—-be still my heart😳

And very cute boots to go with the jeans!

• Upvote 6

12 minutes ago, CaptainFunderpants said:

And very cute boots to go with the jeans!

How about pipes in their hands like Santa?   Except theirs would be for smoking hash.

and another thing—how about some red footwear?

Spoiler

Edited by Granwych
Old arthritic finger. Dunno how to delete the spoiler header
  • Upvote 1

It has been so great to see Sarah and the reversals actually live lives of their own choosing (or at least to a far greater extent than Steve wanted or most of us expected).  

It is a powerful reminder of how difficult it is to successfully exert control for generations (not that it doesn’t happen, abusers abuse, not getting out of abuse isn’t the abusers fault, etc). ABC us pretty damn conservative but as I mentioned I have some links there because of my time at Liberty, but most of the alumni I know, from far stricter times, look like your average suburban Evangelical. (I mean, that’s not great either…but there is a huge gulf between the Maxwells and that.  And for sure the Maxhell is the unhealthier and more damaging of the two). 

I am happy for all of them in whatever way you can be happy but still cognizant that they all probably have some level of abhorrent religious beliefs.  That might change, that might not, but it wasn’t never going to happen if Steve had his way in how things went.  Now, some of the Maxwells  may start to look a lot more like a Ben and Audri Botkin.  And sometimes I just like to enjoy that they honestly seem to be healthy and pursuing healthy lives.

• Upvote 21

5 minutes ago, HereticHick said:

Is Anna wearing a Fellowship of Christian Athletes tee in that kitchen pic?

It could be. She seems to be the athlete of the girls. She runs and is a camp counselor in the summer. Maybe their summer camp is affiliated with FCA? 

• Upvote 4

3 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

It could be. She seems to be the athlete of the girls. She runs and is a camp counselor in the summer. Maybe their summer camp is affiliated with FCA? 

Doesn't Steve disapprove of organized sports?

• Upvote 5
  • Haha 2

• Coconut Flan locked this topic