IGNORED

Maxwell 56: Mary Found Freedom to Get Engaged

Coconut Flan

2 hours ago, Bethy said:

Also, my fundy-lite college of the 90s - which, judging by what I've seen in ABC's social media, is on par with ABC today - had one open house night each year when you COULD go in the rooms of the opposite sex. It was typically a mob scene with all doors propped wide open and dorms competed for best theme which kept the dorm's occupants busy acting out their roles or whatever, so no shenanigans happened then either.

Oh, ABC has big room decorating contests at Christmas--I bet that is a coed open house night.  The young woman, Jordan Joyce, who posted those videos is interesting: https://www.linkedin.com/in/jordanjoyce/ . She's getting a Master's degree* at ABC, plays basketball & has a part time office job on campus. She went to public school in Michigan and has a business degree from a public university. I bet she's living in a dorm as an RA/dorm manager too. She's a go-getter.

*I am assuming that, because the basketball roster lists her as a grad student.

And yeah, the neon Colt 45 sign was a shock to see in a bible college room!

Edited by HereticHick
  • Upvote 2
  • I Agree 3
  • Thank You 1

IIRC. Colt 45 is a “malt liquor.”  My recollection comes from memories of an ad jingle: “Colt Forty-Fiiive — malt liquor!”Felt, TBH, a Little envious of the happy times depicted in the videos. Happy for Mary & Anna that their college experience lacked the violence and gloom of my Vietnam War-era Uni days. 

Seriously happy for them and their sister! And hoping that this afternoon into the evening, somewhere in the KCKN area*, Jesse is shredding on the guitar, with his wife Anna in harmony. Her family is musical, IIRC, right?

Best regards,

Mama “IIRC is my middle name these days” Junebug 

*KCKN = Kansas City KaNsas

As opposed to KC MissOuri

Edited by MamaJunebug
  • Upvote 6
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, HereticHick said:

Billy Dee Williams. Be still my heart.

image.png.102b4dede068cf0668f7d65b67dd7eab.png

Back in the early 2000’s it was popular in college for guys to duct tape a 40 Oz Colt 45 to each hand and they couldn’t take them off until they drank both. I guess we just had to find things to do on Friday nights before social media and smart phones. 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

On 2/19/2023 at 4:10 PM, JermajestyDuggar said:

Back in the early 2000’s it was popular in college for guys to duct tape a 40 Oz Colt 45 to each hand and they couldn’t take them off until they drank both. I guess we just had to find things to do on Friday nights before social media and smart phones. 

Edward 40 hands. I only know this because youtuber Tyler Oakley mentioned it in a video.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, CaptainFunderpants said:

Edward 40 hands. I only know this because youtuber Tyler Oakley mentioned it in a video.

People still do this? I’m 40 so I haven’t been to a college party in almost 2 decades. I’m surprised it’s still around. When I was in college in the early 2000s, beer pong was quite new and exciting. 

• Upvote 2

On 1/10/2023 at 6:53 PM, HeartsAFundie said:

I had a temporary handicapped placard issued to me for a year in June 2019 while undergoing a bilateral hip replacement-both hips were done within 9 weeks of each other.  It was supposed to be for 6 months but I argued for an additional 6 because I was returning to work in January, I live in New England and with my later work start time I would be relegated to parking in the back of the lot where it was much icier, so naturally I had a fear of falling.  If I lived in a warmer climate I never would have asked for the extension.  Then in March 2020 the pandemic hit.  I was working remotely then so the whole thing became a non-issue and I ended up sending the placard back before it expired.  Plus I was doing much better so why keep something I don't really need?  Save the parking spaces for those that need them. 

My orthopedic surgeon wrote a prescription for a handicap parking spot when I had bilateral hip replacement surgery, too.  I had both done during the same surgery in May.  I only used it once for my two week checkup and was grateful my husband could park right next to the elevator banks in the parking garage.  By my 6 week checkup, I no longer needed it and I stayed home until 6 weeks.

• Upvote 7

I have a super sporty little boy and we actually got a babysitter to take him to his sports training when we had our third baby, dragging a newborn along to trainings 2 days a week then games 2 days a week (my husband did the weekend games). So much easier and cheaper just to pull him out. 
I can see why Steve just banned all sports. Made his and Terri's life easier as she had all those extra babies.
Selfish Steve. 

• Upvote 14

• 2 weeks later...

Is it my imagination or does it look like Sarah has a baby bump?  They're singing Happy Birthday to her  

• Eyeroll 1
  • WTF 1

7 minutes ago, theologygeek said:

Is it my imagination or does it look like Sarah has a baby bump?  They're singing Happy Birthday to her  

The dress is probably too loose to know if there’s a bump or not. Hopefully if they are eventually expecting, they can announce it at church so we can learn about it that way. 

• Upvote 6
  • Thank You 1

8 minutes ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

The dress is probably too loose to know if there’s a bump or not. Hopefully if they are eventually expecting, they can announce it at church so we can learn about it that way. 

Her boobs even look bigger though.  Maybe she just put weight on.  But look where her hands were.  It's like she was hiding her stomach because she knows we watch this stuff.  

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 4
  • Eyeroll 2

1 hour ago, theologygeek said:

I think you're right!  It's at about the 8:50 mark, in case you don't want to search for it. 

• Upvote 2
  • Thank You 1

I can't tell if she's expecting. She may have gained weight for a number of reasons. She's in her 40s, newly married, and away from insane "food is an idol" father.  She also might be just wearing clothes that look like that. 

Her hands are clasped in front of her, which is a normal gesture for humans.  She is not Jill R, I doubt (and hope) she spends much time thinking about her audience and pretending she's on reality television.

• Upvote 18
  • I Agree 1

3 hours ago, theologygeek said:

Her boobs even look bigger though.  Maybe she just put weight on.  But look where her hands were.  It's like she was hiding her stomach because she knows we watch this stuff.  

It’s possible that she’s simply put on some weight now that she is away from her controlling father, but to me, the way she looks fuller in the face and fuller, um, elsewhere, suggests pregnancy. I vote “yes,” but only time will tell. 

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 2
  • Love 1

On 2/22/2023 at 10:37 AM, Milly-Molly-Mandy said:

can see why Steve just banned all sports. Made his and Terri's life easier as she had all those extra babies

School, sports and fun were banned before having the reversals. Children were too excited, coaches and teachers have too much power, and atmosphere not godly enough. Teri was  depressed at home and didn't want or couldn't take the 3 kids anywhere... but she also didn't like them excited.They are the parents that punished kids without birthday party if they were "too excited" on their birthday. 

When there were only 2 boys and 1 toddler, Steve came from work and had to cook and homeschool kids that had been stuck in their bedroom all the day because mom couldn't care for them. Both had to know those kids weren't fine... 

After years following Maxwells, I think Maxkids are victims of both parents. A terribly insecure+controlling man and a depressed mean woman. Teri is not better than Steve and she has shown very hard passive agressive behaviours.

• Upvote 21

9 hours ago, VVV said:

It’s possible that she’s simply put on some weight now that she is away from her controlling father, but to me, the way she looks fuller in the face and fuller, um, elsewhere, suggests pregnancy. I vote “yes,” but only time will tell. 

Without examining "elsewhere" too closely, let me toss this out there: someone here commented after John and Chelsy's wedding that those knit bridesmaid dresses would've been a lot more flattering on the Maxgirls had they had properly fitting bras. Obviously this would not be something that would be prioritized in a family where they worked so hard to HIDE that part of the body. So looking fuller "elsewhere" could simply indicate that she's discovered underpinnings that fit and flatter.

All along I've been thinking that if there was a baby, we'd hear about it the same way we found out about Jesse and Anna's wedding - finding a registry - but I hadn't considered church video and announcements. (Duh...considering that's how we found out about her engagement to begin with!)

At this point I don't have a "vote" one way or the other, I just want Sarah to have what she wants. If she wants to have a small family with one or two kids, then I sincerely hope there's a baby in that belly as we speak. If she just wants to live a quiet, child-free life with Kory, then I hope that's what she gets and that she enjoys it. Her huge grin in the video is so good to see after the pinched smiles of the past decade. She looks like a person who's being celebrated in a place where she belongs and is loved.

ETA I just rewatched the end of the birthday part and when she walks offscreen past the end of the pew you can see that her dress is only just knee length and looks like she's wearing regular stockings underneath (as opposed to opaque leggings) and after years of seeing her on the blog swimming in baggy ankle-length frumpers, I just love that cute silhouette on her.

Edited by Bethy
Noticed something else!
  • Upvote 25
  • I Agree 6

On 2/22/2023 at 3:37 AM, Milly-Molly-Mandy said:

I have a super sporty little boy and we actually got a babysitter to take him to his sports training when we had our third baby, dragging a newborn along to trainings 2 days a week then games 2 days a week (my husband did the weekend games). So much easier and cheaper just to pull him out. 
I can see why Steve just banned all sports. Made his and Terri's life easier as she had all those extra babies.
Selfish Steve. 

I was listening to Jinger Vuolvo's book where she described that as a teen and rededicating her life to Christ, she suffered an "overactive conscience". When she contemplated doing anything fun, she felt anxiety that she should be reading her bible instead. It reminded me of Steve Maxwell's decent into No Fun Land. Maybe they both have anxiety disorders.

• Upvote 19

3 hours ago, Bethy said:

At this point I don't have a "vote" one way or the other, I just want Sarah to have what she wants. If she wants to have a small family with one or two kids, then I sincerely hope there's a baby in that belly as we speak. If she just wants to live a quiet, child-free life with Kory, then I hope that's what she gets and that she enjoys it. Her huge grin in the video is so good to see after the pinched smiles of the past decade. She looks like a person who's being celebrated in a place where she belongs and is loved.

ALL of this. Sarah, indeed all of the Maxwell kids, deserve to be living their OWN best lives, whatever they will be.

• Upvote 16
  • I Agree 4
  • Love 3

I kinda hope Sarah isn't pregnant cuz she and Korey got married just six months ago.  I'd like her to have a little free time with Korey before having kids since she was literally in prison for 40 years under Steve's thumb.

• Upvote 5

At 40? I wouldn’t wait. If it’s true that she has wanted children I hope that she easily welcomes them over the next few years. She looks fantastic either way. 

• Upvote 23
  • I Agree 8

32 minutes ago, fundiewatch said:

At 40? I wouldn’t wait. If it’s true that she has wanted children I hope that she easily welcomes them over the next few years. She looks fantastic either way. 

Amen.

I have to say I’m more than a little uncomfortable when folks start body-policing the people we follow here. I give exactly zero fucks about their gaining or losing weight, providing that they’re healthy. Simple weight gain in a healthy adult is not toxic. 

Edited by Hane
  • Upvote 10
  • I Agree 5

If Sarah was 10, or even 5, years younger I probably would not be engaging in hope and speculation. But as someone very close to her in age, I recognize the challenges of conception at this point in life. 

Her parents have stolen so much from her. At this point, due to her age, fertility and childbearing may not be in the choice category for her anymore and it is heartbreaking that they may have stolen that option from her, too.

Although it is possible she doesn’t want children, most likely she does. She’s on the bubble of it being possible, so I hope for her sake that she is standing there jubilant and expecting and unabashedly celebratory on her 41st birthday. Eff you Steve and Teri!

• Upvote 17
  • I Agree 4

I hope Sarah is getting counseling for living with Steve and Teri and not just church counseling. I hope she is able to make progress in her journey. It wouldn't surprise me if she's had a counselour for some time now. 

While it would nice for Sarah to have kids if she wants them, she is still recovering from her fundie years. Change takes time, she will have a lot of baggage from her fundie years. Her kids will still be influenced by her upbringing and it may still be a very difficult family to grow up in.

Edited by Bluebirdbluebell
  • Upvote 8

• Coconut Flan locked this topic