IGNORED

William & Kate 2

Coconut Flan
Destiny
Message added by Destiny,

If you want to discuss downvotes and the use thereof, take it to CD please.

11 hours ago, viii said:

I've never been able to feel the same way about the world's support for Ukraine since someone pointed out to me that it's because they're a white country. I'm not downplaying what is happening to Ukraine in any way, but now that I've had conversations about how differently the world has treated the war in Ukraine vs wars in Africa or the Middle East, it's all I can think about now. 

I've read this, too, and it seems to be true. There have been plenty of other wars/atrocities that William ignored. 

6 hours ago, tabitha2 said:

He is not doing much different than many of his ancestors did in hanging out with And having fun with /not minding Gay people.  He just won’t risk a red hot poker for doing it thank goodness.     

What arrogance to ask to join a group of strangers. Can you imagine if Harry did that? Or Meghan? 

I'm not sure why it's a virtue if someone "doesn't mind" gay people.

On 3/24/2023 at 6:26 PM, viii said:

I don't follow William that closely. Do we know if this is a common thing for him? Like, is he a usual ally when it comes to speaking about LGBT/trans rights? Or is this a PR stunt to garner some goodwill? I'm reserving my judgement. 

Iirc he has been on the cover of a gay magazine and did maybe a handful engagements related to the topic. 

Edited by just_ordinary
  • Thank You 1

On 3/24/2023 at 4:07 PM, viii said:

I've never been able to feel the same way about the world's support for Ukraine since someone pointed out to me that it's because they're a white country. I'm not downplaying what is happening to Ukraine in any way, but now that I've had conversations about how differently the world has treated the war in Ukraine vs wars in Africa or the Middle East, it's all I can think about now. 

I‘ve been thinking about this and there probably is truth to it, although - from a European point of view - geography is what makes the differences for us emotionally. This war is on our very own and very small continent. Pretty much feels like our back yard. That‘s not a superior reason if you ask me, just a different one. We should care about any war but we simply are more afraid when it‘s that close.

Edited by prayawaythefundie
  • Upvote 8

Kate's just lost her 4th private secretary in 5 years. I wonder if there will be a lot of articles about how difficult she is? 

The latest one, Alison Corfield, lasted for just over a month. She left, allegedly, because she didn't like all the publicity and wants to "stay under the radar."  A PR person who's afraid of publicity? Who has been described as a "ball breaker"? That doesn't make much sense.

Edited by Jackie3
  • Upvote 1

For those of us who share a border with either Ukraine or Russia it does feel like it's in our own backyard.

• Upvote 8
  • Sad 1
  • Love 5

It doesn’t seem like Alison Corfield ever actually started working as Katherine’s private secretary. So it seems a little disingenuous to say she left. 
The previous two secretaries averaged 2 years each before moving on, and the one before those two lasted 10 years.  So….

You could say 3 secretaries in the past 5 years, or you could say 3 in the past 14.  

I do wonder how the pandemic factored in. Her last secretary was a mother of 3.  I know, as a mother of 3 myself in Canada, people are still having a hard time adjusting to life after the wonkiness of the past several years.  Between the stress of childcare and schooling and the flexibility of working from home, I know quite a few people that have made significant job changes over the past several years and months. 

Edited by treehugger
  • Upvote 9
  • Thank You 3

On 3/26/2023 at 5:41 PM, treehugger said:

I do wonder how the pandemic factored in. Her last secretary was a mother of 3.  I know, as a mother of 3 myself in Canada, people are still having a hard time adjusting to life after the wonkiness of the past several years.  Between the stress of childcare and schooling and the flexibility of working from home, I know quite a few people that have made significant job changes over the past several years and months. 

Corfield is also a mother of 3.

Kate's high turnover is probably due to a lot of factors, including the pandemic. That's probably true for turnover at the Sussex household also. I wonder why people twist things to make the Sussex' out as "bullies', but cut sympathetic slack for the Cambridges?

It seems like Allison Corfield accepted the position a couple of months ago.

https://www.vanityfair.com/style/2023/02/kate-middletons-new-personal-secretary-will-shake-things-up

It''s not clear whether she started work, or simply changed her mind before she even began.  Either way, she would have been in frequent contact with Kate and the Palace. And she didn't like what she heard, I guess.

The previous press secretary resigned last October, and Kate had known about it since early September. The spot's been open for a while. They seem to be having trouble filling it.

Here is the history of Kate's private secretaries. No one has held this job for more than 5 years, certainly not 10:

Rebecca Deacon -2012-2017,  left to get married (she held other roles in palace between 2007-12)

Catherine Quinn   - 2017-2019, left to focus on charity work

Hannah Cockburn-Logie  July 2020-October 2022, left for personal reasons

Allison Corfield Feb 2023 - March 2023

So, she has actually lost 4 press secretaries in 6 years.  I stand corrected.

On 3/27/2023 at 11:49 AM, prayawaythefundie said:

I‘m confused: Did Kate lose private secretaries or press secretaries? Or is that basically the same job?

Side note: The Sussexes quit right before the start of the pandemic. Whatever the reason for them losing staff when they were still working royals, it wasn‘t Covid.

Meghn’s coworkers  and friends have almost unanimously described her as kind and generous. The opposite of a bully.

Kate has no former coworkers. Very few friends have spoken up about her. But there is evidence she can be hard to work with. Like her demand that the bridesmaids dresses be redone—for someone else’s wedding! What business of hers was it?

I thought it was rather sad how she couldn’t say, “I don’t like the fit of the dresses.” Instead, she offloaded onto her daughter, “Charlotte cried because it didn’t fit.” Because everyone knows toddlers care about proper fit. Of course, my three year old wore a dishtowel around her neck for weeks as a “dress” but Charlotte must’ve had a super-developed fashion sense. 

On 3/27/2023 at 4:59 AM, just_ordinary said:

And yes, the fact that they are white and mostly from a western, Christian tradition makes them feel less foreign and therefore people are not as hesitant. 

Because everyone here is white? And Christian? 

You may have to re-examine your assumptions. Whites (nonHispanic whites) are only 58 percent of the population.

“Nonwhite”  does not equal “foreign” any longer. 

Only the most sheltered and naive people would consider Jews, Muslims and atheists in the US to be “foreigners.”

I cant agree with the idea that it’s easier to help those who share my skin color or religion. When war atrocities are happening, who cares what color the victims are? 

What a way to look at the world. Unbelievable.

On 1/2/2023 at 10:49 PM, Manda said:

So is Harry and Meghan's, when are you going to moan about theirs?

Absolutely they have a huge carbon footprint too!

On 1/2/2023 at 11:14 PM, prayawaythefundie said:

Ok, I correct myself. The obnoxiouness does get to me but the repetitiveness (is that a word?) more so. I think it has been established that all the royals and ex-working royals I‘m aware of are the following

Does the repetitive trashing of the Sussex's bother you, too?  Lots of people doing that.

Perhaps that's  OK, because it lets you  bully a woman, a biracial woman at that. IT's fun to jump on the bandwagon and bully her.

At least I am pointing out facts (facts you actually agreed to above). Eleven engagements a year is eleven engagements a year.

You are inventing things that no one can prove ("She's a narcissist!" "She's controlling him!"). Because you have no facts but you want to bully this woman.

Edited by Jackie3
  • Move Along 1
  • Downvote 2
  • Bless Your Heart 1

I don‘t know how many private secretaries Kate had (or I didn‘t before @treehugger’s post) but I know of a stylist, a personal assistant and a personal protector who have worked with her for a decade or longer. Implying she scares away her staff is a stretch IMO.

• Upvote 7

I think both angles can be true at the same time. It does affect us more because it is happening just a few hundred kilometres from us. If this war spreads it will quickly mean active involvement- which is very different if it happens on your own soil than deploying troops some place far away. It also affects us because we are experiencing high prices for certain food/produce or even shortages, and for most of us that’s pretty new. This hasn’t really happened since the 50‘ and for everyone born after 1980. Also energy cost. And, people are much more inclined to help women and young children than men. For various reasons. The fact that many men aren’t allowed to leave Ukraine and most refugees are women with small children makes a difference, like it or not.

And yes, the fact that they are white and mostly from a western, Christian tradition makes them feel less foreign and therefore people are not as hesitant. 

Also, it’s not the whole world supporting Ukraine while it ignores other wars. Africa (predominately) and China are pretty much either supporting Russia or speak through silence. Not sure if the UAE and South America have done more than saying some nice enough lines- the GRULAC certainly didn’t vote unanimously to suspend Russia from the UN Human rights council. I am not criticising because I have no idea what affected the specific decisions. Or I have an idea and while I don’t think the objective is right I can see it might make sense under their own circumstances. Again, it’s the focus of the Western Nations that shaped what we think is deemed important. But if you look from another perspective, many might not care about the Ukraine at all.

I will say one more thing though- as long as we don’t care how our way of live actively perpetuates certain horrendous conditions in the „third world“ I don’t see us caring more for them.  If I don’t care how children are working in cobalt mines so I can get my third smartphone or a new laptop in ten years (even though the old ones are mostly fine, just slow), why should I care about a war there? Anti-Racism on a global level would mean some very uncomfortable changes for us.

Edited by just_ordinary
  • Upvote 3
  • I Agree 2

7 hours ago, prayawaythefundie said:

I don‘t know how many private secretaries Kate had (or I didn‘t before @treehugger’s post) but I know of a stylist, a personal assistant and a personal protector who have worked with her for a decade or longer. Implying she scares away her staff is a stretch IMO.

To be fair, I think there is a pretty big difference between those job descriptions. A private secretary's workload would be a lot more demanding than a stylist or personal assistant. However, I don't think there's even a hint of rumours that Kate is difficult to work for, or at least nothing I've read. I feel like before 2018, if it was true, then there would have been articles about it because before Meghan came on the scene, the media loved to shit on Kate. 

6 hours ago, just_ordinary said:

Also, it’s not the whole world supporting Ukraine while it ignores other wars. Africa (predominately) and China are pretty much either supporting Russia or speak through silence. Not sure if the UAE and South America have done more than saying some nice enough lines- the GRULAC certainly didn’t vote unanimously to suspend Russia from the UN Human rights council. I am not criticising because I have no idea what affected the specific decisions. Or I have an idea and while I don’t think the objective is right I can see it might make sense under their own circumstances. Again, it’s the focus of the Western Nations that shaped what we think is deemed important. But if you look from another perspective, many might not care about the Ukraine at all.

I will say one more thing though- as long as we don’t care how our way of live actively perpetuates certain horrendous conditions in the „third world“ I don’t see us caring more for them.  If I don’t care how children are working in cobalt mines so I can get my third smartphone or a new laptop in ten years (even though the old ones are mostly fine, just slow), why should I care about a war there? Anti-Racism on a global level would mean some very uncomfortable changes for us.

I'm just saying, I feel like personally, in Canada, there is a difference between the coverage that Ukraine is receiving and the coverage that a lot of other wars in Africa receive. It's interesting to note. 

And you're correct - anti-racism on a global level would mean a LOT of changes for people, ones that would mean drastic, uncomfortable changes. I hope we get there someday. 

• Upvote 6

I‘m confused: Did Kate lose private secretaries or press secretaries? Or is that basically the same job?

Side note: The Sussexes quit right before the start of the pandemic. Whatever the reason for them losing staff when they were still working royals, it wasn‘t Covid.

• Upvote 3

• 2 weeks later...

According the Telegraph:

“Prince George is to become the youngest future king to play an official role at a coronation, having been named one of his grandfather’s four Pages of Honour.

The nine-year-old will be tasked with carrying the King’s robes alongside three other Pages of Honour - schoolboys Lord Oliver Cholmondeley, 13, Nicholas Barclay, 13, and Ralph Tollemache, 12. All three are the sons of His Majesty’s friends.

Meanwhile, the Queen has chosen to include as her own Pages of Honour her three grandsons, twins Gus and Louis Lopes, 13, and Freddy Parker Bowles, 12, as well as her great-nephew, Arthur Elliot, 11.

All eight are expected to wear matching scarlet uniforms and will form part of the procession through the Nave of Westminster Abbey.

Pages of Honour traditionally wear a knee-length scarlet coat with gold trimmings over a white satin waistcoat and lace jabot - a decorative ruffle or frill falling from the collar - white breeches, white stockings and black shoes with buckles. They also carry a small ceremonial sword.“

I bet he is proud as punch! 

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 4
  • Thank You 4

1 hour ago, tabitha2 said:

Pages of Honour traditionally wear a knee-length scarlet coat with gold trimmings over a white satin waistcoat and lace jabot - a decorative ruffle or frill falling from the collar - white breeches, white stockings and black shoes with buckles. They also carry a small ceremonial sword.“

Poor Prince George. The next day at school is going to be rough. A lace jabot? The other 9-years olds are going to be cruel.

On 3/24/2023 at 1:35 PM, tabitha2 said:

He is not doing much different than many of his ancestors did in hanging out with And having fun with /not minding Gay people.  He just won’t risk a red hot poker for doing it thank goodness.     

How good of him to "not mind" gay people. Personally, I don't mind bald people, but I do mind grifters.

1 hour ago, tabitha2 said:

I bet he is! 😃 I can't even imagine being able to participate in something like that. Oddly, I keep forgetting it's coming up soon; my daughter is getting married in a couple weeks, and that's consuming all my thoughts right now. But once in awhile something makes me stop and realise, Oh, yeah! The Coronation! :cracking-up:

• Upvote 3
  • Love 4

8 hours ago, tabitha2 said:

According the Telegraph:

“Prince George is to become the youngest future king to play an official role at a coronation, having been named one of his grandfather’s four Pages of Honour.

The nine-year-old will be tasked with carrying the King’s robes alongside three other Pages of Honour - schoolboys Lord Oliver Cholmondeley, 13, Nicholas Barclay, 13, and Ralph Tollemache, 12. All three are the sons of His Majesty’s friends.

Meanwhile, the Queen has chosen to include as her own Pages of Honour her three grandsons, twins Gus and Louis Lopes, 13, and Freddy Parker Bowles, 12, as well as her great-nephew, Arthur Elliot, 11.

All eight are expected to wear matching scarlet uniforms and will form part of the procession through the Nave of Westminster Abbey.

Any idea as to why they picked the younger Cholmondeley twin? Wiki lists his brother as the heir to the title.

• Upvote 2

Good question. Maybe because the older twin is the heir and they thought it would be only right to give his younger twin  a chance to shine for once. 

2 hours ago, tabitha2 said:

Good question. Maybe because the older twin is the heir and they thought it would be only right to give his younger twin  a chance to shine for once. 

I somehow doubt that as it’s not how their system usually works. I see that Camilla has included her twin grandsons though. Maybe they asked both Cholmondeley boys and the older one didn‘t want the attention. IMO that would be the best reason. Give the kids an actual choice.

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 1

4 hours ago, prayawaythefundie said:

I somehow doubt that as it’s not how their system usually works. I see that Camilla has included her twin grandsons though. Maybe they asked both Cholmondeley boys and the older one didn‘t want the attention. IMO that would be the best reason. Give the kids an actual choice.

That would make sense.  According to the news reports, William and Kate did the same with George.  They asked him if he wanted to participate.  Give the kids a choice. 

I am really looking forward to the ceremony.  I know it will be scaled back but I hope it is still somewhat fancy-shmancy. 

• Upvote 5

Me too. I know they're trying to downplay everything to be *relevant* but... they're not, and the sooner they embrace that the better. There's no point of royalty if they're not going to stick to all their ancient traditions and customs! 

• Upvote 6
  • Haha 1
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 1

I'm looking forward to how often the name 'Cholmondeley' is mispronounced by the news media during the ceremony.🤣

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 8

8 hours ago, prayawaythefundie said:

Any idea as to why they picked the younger Cholmondeley twin? Wiki lists his brother as the heir to the title.

That one is actually Charles' grandson 🤣 IM KIDDING!!

• Upvote 1
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Haha 4

9 hours ago, prayawaythefundie said:

They’re neighbors in Norfolk, so George definitely knows the twins. My guess is that he’s better friends with Oliver, and the palace understandably doesn’t want to say that. In the photo of George in the article on the Daily Mail site, he looks remarkably like his uncle Charles Spencer.

55 minutes ago, tabitha2 said:

I really don’t think they would leave the decision to George and his preference.

According to reports, QE2 had very little say over the choice of her maids of honor at her coronation (she didn't have many close friends anyway). They wanted someone with a certain "look." 

This was the look they wanted (the left pic, obvs)

download-16.jpg.6d8caf37ed249b8143389c6c08273644.jpg

The homely daughters of the aristocracy need not apply, lol.

I hope George was given the option to decline any participation. He seems like a shy, introverted boy, and never seems to enjoy the attention of the crowds.

I do feel sorry for George having to dress up in that fancy-pants outfit. Then he has to go to school the next day. I hope he is not bullied. Grownups are impressed by things like coronations, but children are ready to pounce on classmates who are different or who get too much attention.

Edited by Jackie3

2 hours ago, QuiverFullofBooks said:

They’re neighbors in Norfolk, so George definitely knows the twins. My guess is that he’s better friends with Oliver, and the palace understandably doesn’t want to say that. In the photo of George in the article on the Daily Mail site, he looks remarkably like his uncle Charles Spencer.

The twins are about 4 years older than George. At that age that‘s a lot. While I believe they are friendly with each other,  I would not expect them to be so close that George has a clear preference for one of them. Charlotte and Iris Cholmondeley are closer in age. 

• Upvote 1

• samurai_sarah locked, unlocked and locked this topic