IGNORED

William & Kate 2

Coconut Flan
Destiny
Message added by Destiny,

If you want to discuss downvotes and the use thereof, take it to CD please.

31 minutes ago, Coconut Flan said:

No not you at all.  Think of who wastes so much time disagreeing with almost everyone and tracking down ancient photos to prove a point or can't let go of two or three hobbyhorses.

Oh, big sigh of relief.  I finally managed to block her and I never even notice when she has posted unless somebody quotes her.  I honestly usually forget she exists, I have too much going on in my life to remember.  So, I guess "ain't nobody got time for that" actually true applies here.

Edited by SoSoNosy
  • Haha 12

50 minutes ago, SoSoNosy said:

Oh, big sigh of relief.  I finally managed to block her and I never even notice when she has posted unless somebody quotes her.  I honestly usually forget she exists, I have too much going on in my life to remember.  So, I guess "ain't nobody got time for that" actually true applies here.

Good for you.  Would that mods could block people.   

• Upvote 3
  • Love 1

5 hours ago, Coconut Flan said:

No not you at all.  Think of who wastes so much time disagreeing with almost everyone and tracking down ancient photos to prove a point or can't let go of two or three hobbyhorses.

TROLL! There's a troll in the dungeon......thought you should know {faints}

• Haha 10
  • Love 1

On a podcast I listen to (The Royal Rota), a spokesperson for charity organisation The Passage, of which William is patron, mentioned that he does work with them behind the scenes. He said William visited without cameras or reports three times during lockdown. 

• Upvote 6
  • Love 1

People forget or don’t know or simple refuse to acknowledge not every single thing a Royal person involves Cameras and the Royal Rota. 

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 3

In William's case, though, I feel like it's a disservice for him not to bring cameras or at least make mention of it. He is already consistently accused of laziness and could probably use all the help he can get in boosting his numbers. 

• Upvote 1
  • Eyeroll 1

10 minutes ago, viii said:

In William's case, though, I feel like it's a disservice for him not to bring cameras or at least make mention of it. He is already consistently accused of laziness and could probably use all the help he can get in boosting his numbers. 

Now that we know that not all his visits are reported about, we could stop accusing him.

• Upvote 1
  • I Agree 4

9 minutes ago, prayawaythefundie said:

Now that we know that not all his visits are reported about, we could stop accusing him.

Nah, he deserves every accusation. Given the amount of money he gets from taxpayers, they have a right to know how strenuous his work schedule is. 

• Eyeroll 1

4 hours ago, tabitha2 said:

People forget or don’t know or simple refuse to acknowledge not every single thing a Royal person involves Cameras and the Royal Rota. 

It's certainly possible William sorts produce at the food bank every weekend. But is it likely? Or is it simply wishful thinking on the part of his fans. He and his wife certainly didn't seem to know much about food bank operations, judging from the questions they asked during their visit.

But anything's possible. Maybe Kate is helping out at an oncology ward right now. 

3 hours ago, prayawaythefundie said:

Maybe he gives hundreds of millions to charity every year, but just doesn't tell anyone!

Edited by Jackie3

37 minutes ago, Jackie3 said:

It's certainly possible William sorts produce at the food bank every weekend. But is it likely? 

Not the smartest comment after you have just been informed that he does indeed show up at charities without us knowing. 😉

• Upvote 1
  • Thank You 2

This is a very serious question.  Does William need major public opinion?  Why should he care if people are calling him lazy?

• I Agree 1
  • Thank You 1

19 hours ago, prayawaythefundie said:

Oh, they are certainly reported about. Here's an article about one of those three visits to the Passage. Wills attended an awards ceremony and a reception. He was not getting his hands dirty, and there was no shortage of photographers.

https://people.com/royals/prince-william-marks-40th-anniversary-of-the-passage-beloved-princess-diana-charity/

He posted about it on his insta, twice

684448459_ScreenShot2023-03-01at3_36_18PM.png.5dc5bf683eb478668062716598b56417.png

15 hours ago, prayawaythefundie said:

Not the smartest comment after you have just been informed that he does indeed show up at charities without us knowing. 😉

We do know about it, because People magazine was there!

Nope. It’s a nice bonus but it’s not like he can be voted out of office or has to run for election and they hardly going to abolish the monarchy  if PoW does not make a quota :) 

• I Agree 1
  • Thank You 1

46 minutes ago, tabitha2 said:

Nope. It’s a nice bonus but it’s not like he can be voted out of office or has to run for election and they hardly going to abolish the monarchy  if PoW does not make a quota :) 

Absolutely. He gets to keep his money and position. It's a mater of character.

9 hours ago, SoSoNosy said:

This is a very serious question.  Does William need major public opinion?  Why should he care if people are calling him lazy?

I think he does. The monarchy won‘t be abolished overnight but it has been questioned for decades.

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, SoSoNosy said:

The Royal Family probably doesn't want to risk the majority of the public questioning their existence and role in society. They can survive on a combination of inertia, indifference, genuine support from certain sectors of society, and a hefty helping of "the alternatives would be worse, can you imagine President Boris Johnson, no thank you," but a majority of people saying "they don't do anything, what are they for?" combined with a minority calling for their abolition would be the end of them, I think.

I'm not sure it would take much, either. There's already a fairly stark generational divide between those who support the monarchy and those who don't.

Edited by rosamundi
Edited to add link
  • Upvote 4

14 hours ago, Jackie3 said:

Oh, they are certainly reported about. Here's an article about one of those three visits to the Passage. Wills attended an awards ceremony and a reception. He was not getting his hands dirty, and there was no shortage of photographers.

https://people.com/royals/prince-william-marks-40th-anniversary-of-the-passage-beloved-princess-diana-charity/

He posted about it on his insta, twice

684448459_ScreenShot2023-03-01at3_36_18PM.png.5dc5bf683eb478668062716598b56417.png

We do know about it, because People magazine was there!

I don‘t think that‘s what the guy on the podcast was referring to. He mentioned lockdown. Doesn‘t look like it.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, prayawaythefundie said:

I don‘t think that‘s what the guy on the podcast was referring to. He mentioned lockdown. Doesn‘t look like it.

Sorry, used the wrong link. Here's his visit during lockdown

https://www.townandcountrymag.com/society/tradition/a37810471/prince-william-princess-diana-instagram-the-passage-charity/

In any event, 3 visits over 2.5 years is hardly something to boast about.

18 hours ago, SoSoNosy said:

The modern monarchy cares enormously about public opinion. It's why they do their tours. That's why the Australia tour is so vitally important to them (they don't want to lose Australia). Countries are leaving the monarchy right and left (mostly small islands).  If that continues, the current royals will have less influence and power, and they dont' want that (understandably).

All the leaks in the press, the hiding this or that. . . it's all because they care about how they appear to the world. There is an image they are trying to convey.

Public opinion is everything to them. Both republicans and royals would agree on that.

1 hour ago, Jackie3 said:

Again not during lockdown. The Bond premiere is mentioned. You‘re actually proving the point here that he visits them quite a bit. 😄

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, prayawaythefundie said:

Again not during lockdown. The Bond premiere is mentioned. You‘re actually proving the point here that he visits them quite a bit. 😄

Sorry, are you trying to show that Wills went out visiting during lockdown? Spreading covid to the vulnerable homeless, or perhaps bringing it back to his granny?

In any event, visiting a charity 1-2 times in 2 years is not terribly impressive.

Edited by Jackie3

19 hours ago, rosamundi said:

The Royal Family probably doesn't want to risk the majority of the public questioning their existence and role in society. They can survive on a combination of inertia, indifference, genuine support from certain sectors of society, and a hefty helping of "the alternatives would be worse, can you imagine President Boris Johnson, no thank you," but a majority of people saying "they don't do anything, what are they for?" combined with a minority calling for their abolition would be the end of them, I think.

I'm not sure it would take much, either. There's already a fairly stark generational divide between those who support the monarchy and those who don't.

That’s why I think they are trying to clean house. Less working royals means less people screwing up in the spotlight regularly. At one point it will be the Walses, maybe some appearances by the Wessexes and that’s it. The children will do some but for Charlotte and Louis it will never get over a certain threshold. 
Modernising the RF and the subsequent lesser working numbers also takes them out of the public eye. The UK has big problems to solve. Neither has anything to to with RF or if the UK is a monarchy. If they can quietly step back from the headlines a bit, people probably find back to a more indifferent position. Right now there is DRAMA, jealousy, racism, a family feud, the black sheep PA, the constant talk about their wealth, family members looking spoilt and entitled….. it gets people invested but for all the wrong reasons.

From this perspective it would be smart for the crown if Charles really doubles down and makes all the changes quickly. Then give it ten years to settle down. If he wants to uphold the idea of being king till his last breath, he should make Wiliam his Prince Regent afterwards or pass the crown on officially. Wiliam could start with a „clean“ slate at an age where he very probably has another 20-30 years on the throne. Long reigns bring stability and at least don’t fuel the discussion for a change of systems. 

I do think though that the younger generation has always been more anti-monarchy than older ones. But I assume, like with many other topics, the perspective changes when you get older. Not necessarily because they start to like them but rather because they realise it’s inconsequential to the challenges they face. Abolishing the monarchy and establishing a new system will take a good decade and cost billions. I don’t think many people think that’s a worthy cause I put taxpayers money too right now. And I don’t see that changing in the next 50 years - if they don’t screw it up right now.

• Upvote 6

It does seem their best interest is to lay low. Who knows if Andrew can do that. 

But William seems really good at laying low. I can't think of anything interesting about him at all. I know more about Kate than him and I don't know much about Kate.

• Haha 1

William isn't that great at lying low, he just has an entire team dedicated to cleaning up his messes. He might be a lot more "boring" now as an established husband and father of three, but William was wild in his youth, just as bad as Harry. The only difference is that William is the heir and so therefore, his reputation was cleaned up and Harry was often left to take the fall. 

I wonder why there's resentment? 

• Upvote 1

I don’t know… seeing the train wreck Harry is without the palace cleaning everything up for him, I don’t think he was left to take the fall. I think the palace did a stellar job of polishing his image. He was literally the most popular Royal after the Queen. 

• Upvote 14
  • I Agree 1

13 minutes ago, treehugger said:

I don’t know… seeing the train wreck Harry is without the palace cleaning everything up for him, I don’t think he was left to take the fall. I think the palace did a stellar job of polishing his image. He was literally the most popular Royal after the Queen. 

I agree with you. It seems to me like the Palace did a fairly good job of cleaning up after both Princes. Now that Harry is out there on his own with no one to sweep behind him, we’re seeing a whole different side of him. I don’t disagree that in some cases it appears Harry got less “clean up” than William, but it’s clear to me that there was definitely quite a bit of behind the scenes firefighting for his image too.

• Upvote 7

• samurai_sarah locked, unlocked and locked this topic