IGNORED

William & Kate 2

Coconut Flan
Destiny
Message added by Destiny,

If you want to discuss downvotes and the use thereof, take it to CD please.

7 minutes ago, Coconut Flan said:

The combination definitely wouldn't have been my first choice.  Maybe with white gloves it looked too Snow White?  Was she trying to match Will maybe?  The earrings leave me with no words.  

Aaaaaaah. Yes, it’s very matchy-matchy.

You guys know how I feel about the BRF but when I think about having to walk a red carpet in haute couture fashion—I’m like, give them all the money. Life is too short for that. 😂

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 4
  • I Agree 4

On 2/16/2023 at 8:37 AM, Jackie3 said:

Wills had access to a lot more info that we did! If he chose to listen to it. Leading scientists would take his call, while they wouldn't take mine. His position of influence comes with ra responsibility to educate himself. 

I am guessing the hundreds who had already died in China didn't mean much to him.

Honestly, I had more information than he did in my job and I wasn’t that worried at the time! I’m a molecular biologist, I work in drug discovery. Literally no one I worked with had any idea how bad it would be. The CDC and WHO folks had worst case scenarios, but at this point, the virus hadn’t been sequenced fully yet, so we really didn’t know what exactly we were dealing with. 

• Upvote 10
  • Love 4

@KnittingOwl Thank you. Makes me feel just a little less horrible about my initial indifference to covid despite my scientific background. I absolutely should have known better.

Edited by prayawaythefundie
  • Upvote 3

1 hour ago, prayawaythefundie said:

@KnittingOwl Thank you. Makes me feel just a little less horrible about my initial indifference to covid despite my scientific background. I absolutely should have known better.

Looks like I’m not entirely correct. First Covid RNA sequence was published at the very end of January 2020. 

• Upvote 2

21 hours ago, just_ordinary said:

Changing the topic: wtf was Kate’s BAFTA look? How could it happen that Wiliam was the better looking?

I don’t dislike the individual pieces but together it was a mess. The gloves are dramatic and needed a different dress (someone wished for moody old Hollywood glam- I can see that). The earrings are a real statement and needed a different outfit (edgy and clean). The dress screamed ethereal and needed a whimsical updo - if there ever was a moment for a messy bun- that was it. The new shoulder detail is a bit lacklustre though. The short front bit feels off. 
The look is slowly growing on me but that might just be that you get used to the sight (like you get used to the name Spurgeon).

Googled her outfit and oh my. I'm not the most well dressed person, but whoever thought that was a good compination should go to the optometrist. The black gloves would look better if there would have included a black highlight like a belt or shoulderpiece in black. So alone the stand out. And the earrings are nice, but covered up by the hair. What is interesting, the article about the dress mentioned that she recycled an outfit from 2019 and the look than was way better. https://www.glamour.com/story/kate-middleton-2023-baftas

4 hours ago, KnittingOwl said:

Honestly, I had more information than he did in my job and I wasn’t that worried at the time! I’m a molecular biologist, I work in drug discovery. Literally no one I worked with had any idea how bad it would be. The CDC and WHO folks had worst case scenarios, but at this point, the virus hadn’t been sequenced fully yet, so we really didn’t know what exactly we were dealing with. 

I work in a pharmacy and I had surgery at the beginning of Feb 2020 and was on sick leave for the rest of the month. It was flu session and I think just a handfull of casses from people coming back from China, so we weren't really worried. When I came back a month later so much changed, but we still weren't to worried, but stressed out because the first shortages came and we spent our days telling costumers why we were out of desinfectants and hand sanitizer. And the longer the pandemic moved on the more I developed a fatalistic view on it. Because all through the pandemic I worked in a public pharmacy with lots and lots of contact to people. And William with his approach in March 2020 was in very good company. Just remember Boris Johnson, had the same outlook and spend a ICU stay with Covid later.

• Upvote 2

6 hours ago, klein_roeschen said:

What is interesting, the article about the dress mentioned that she recycled an outfit from 2019 and the look than was way better.

I agree, the 2019 wearing was much better. Somehow, the gloves + the earrings made her look like she was playing dress-up. 

Edited by hoipolloi
  • Upvote 4

You have to wonder how many people died because of William's irresponsible joking about Covid.

I know it's hard to believe, but people admire him! They collect plates with his face on them. They wait in the rain to watch him on the balcony or pass by in a parade. He has a lot of influence, and he used it badly on that day.

Just say nothing until you've consulted with the experts, Will.

• Downvote 1
  • Eyeroll 1

I think it's been a long, long time since Kate cooked anything (if ever). 

FpjzowAWcAAYDez.png.c9bc71791bd1eedf81e6e77f4b0792ee.png

It's hard to believe she is 41 and a mother of 3. Watch the whole video--it's quite astonishing. She really can't cook a pancake.

FpjzowPXgAYD8lo.png.656058994e588136d19d2ea144686884.png

Yum. Breakfast is ready, kids.

Edited by Jackie3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Jackie3 said:

I think it's been a long, long time since Kate cooked anything (if ever). 

FpjzowAWcAAYDez.png.c9bc71791bd1eedf81e6e77f4b0792ee.png

It's hard to believe she is 41 and a mother of 3. Watch the whole video--it's quite astonishing. She really can't cook a pancake.

FpjzowPXgAYD8lo.png.656058994e588136d19d2ea144686884.png

Yum. Breakfast is ready, kids.

And? I can't cook a pancake to save my life.

• Upvote 4
  • Haha 1
  • I Agree 2
  • Thank You 1
  • Love 2

13 hours ago, samurai_sarah said:

Thank you! That didn't take as long as I expected. 

I thought it'd be several hours till people started hurrying to normalize Kate's behavior, by proclaiming their own pancake ignorance.

Do you also struggle to pour batter into a pan? Because Kate had problems with that, too. 

If it would help with the snark, just pretend it's Meghan who can't cook the pancake. Though Meghan is reputed to be quite a competant cook. 

I do think adults should have basic cooking skills, if they are physically able. It doesn't get more basic than adding milk to a mix and pouring it in a hot pan.

Edited by Jackie3

4 hours ago, samurai_sarah said:

I can, but there are plenty of other basic things I can't cook. And plenty of things I can cook, but not with any sort of authority, so to speak. I love to eat, but I hate to cook. So I don't judge the Princess of Wales, or anyone else, who attempts to  cook something but doesn't do a very good job of it. At least she tried! 😄

• Upvote 7

1 hour ago, Loveday said:

I can, but there are plenty of other basic things I can't cook. And plenty of things I can cook, but not with any sort of authority, so to speak. I love to eat, but I hate to cook. So I don't judge the Princess of Wales, or anyone else, who attempts to  cook something but doesn't do a very good job of it. At least she tried! 😄

I hear you! I can cook all sorts of things, but am salty about pancakes and poached eggs.

If there is a way to get that wrong, I will find that way, without fail. So, no judgement from me either.

• Upvote 4
  • Love 4

According to William, he can only cook breakfast which could mean that he‘s in charge of pancakes. If they even eat pancakes and if that‘s not something nanny Maria prepares for the kids.
Anyway, if I were rich, the first three people I‘d hire would be a nanny, a chef and a personal trainer. Pretty sure they employ all three.

• Upvote 8
  • I Agree 3

7 hours ago, prayawaythefundie said:

According to William, he can only cook breakfast which could mean that he‘s in charge of pancakes. If they even eat pancakes and if that‘s not something nanny Maria prepares for the kids.
Anyway, if I were rich, the first three people I‘d hire would be a nanny, a chef and a personal trainer. Pretty sure they employ all three.

I would hire a cleaner first, followed closely behind by a chef. I don't mind cooking from time to time but the everyday grind of figuring out what to make for dinner is a bit exhausting. I can make many things but there is no way I could successfully flip a pancake like that in a pan. I use a spatula and frankly it's still kind of tricky. 

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 9

Just now, Baxter said:

I can make many things but there is no way I could successfully flip a pancake like that in a pan. I use a spatula and frankly it's still kind of tricky. 

Wait, was she trying to turn it without a spatula? I make pancakes nearly every weekend and still can't do that nonsense and don't even try. No wonder she made scrambled pancakes.

• Upvote 7

6 minutes ago, Destiny said:

Wait, was she trying to turn it without a spatula? I make pancakes nearly every weekend and still can't do that nonsense and don't even try. No wonder she made scrambled pancakes.

That's what it looked like from the pictures. My husband and kids prefer waffles to pancakes so I don't make them that often. I would probably get better at flipping them with a spatula if I made them all the time. I question whether I would ever get to be good enough to flip it with the pan. 

• Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, Baxter said:

That's what it looked like from the pictures. My husband and kids prefer waffles to pancakes so I don't make them that often. I would probably get better at flipping them with a spatula if I made them all the time. I question whether I would ever get to be good enough to flip it with the pan. 

Do normal people who aren't professional chefs actually turn stuff with the pan and not an implement of some sort? I always got the impression that that was a pro skill that normal people don't typically bother with. I tried it once with veggies or something and made a mess and decided that I didn't need to be fancy as long as my food was cooked.

I love waffles but there's no room in my doll-sized kitchen for an iron, so I eat pancakes instead.

• Upvote 9

From what I could see in the video (Mind you, I only watched it once and I like Kate. I’m baffled at the level of obsession from @Jackie3 who just so loves to hate her.) she tried to loosen the pancake with a spatula first but it stuck to the pan and she then tried to flip it spatula-free. So maybe she tried too early or the pan wasn‘t greasy enough or she just never makes pancakes. *shrug*
It did look clumsy and she joked about. 

I can‘t believe I just analyzed this video. 🤪

Edited by prayawaythefundie
  • Upvote 3
  • Haha 6
  • Love 3

If I tried to flip a pancake with the pan, I would be scrubbing the mess off whatever surface it landed on.  That trick is for people who have practiced privately and scrubbed their messes until they get down.

There was a storm in central Mississippi several years ago and this one woman was interviewed; her retort was "ain't nobody got time for that !!!".  That became a local theme when something inconvenient happened, and could apply to flipping pancakes.

• Haha 9
  • Love 1

38 minutes ago, Baxter said:

I would hire a cleaner first, followed closely behind by a chef.

We currently have a cleaner just for the bathrooms. At the moment we really need it but we plan to do it ourselves again, once baby is a little older. The problem is you need to prepare the spaces they clean or they will put stuff away and you won‘t find it again or it‘s just not the way you want it. I feel I would be more relaxed with someone shopping for groceries and preparing meals with them. Besides, I actually like cleaning when I have time for it. 

• Love 1

I can do the flip with eggs, but not pancakes, and I generally use an electric griddle to make pancakes (who makes one at a time?).

I want a cleaner and a trainer. I'm ok with not having a chef. I'm married to one.

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 4

32 minutes ago, prayawaythefundie said:

We currently have a cleaner just for the bathrooms. At the moment we really need it but we plan to do it ourselves again, once baby is a little older. The problem is you need to prepare the spaces they clean or they will put stuff away and you won‘t find it again or it‘s just not the way you want it. I feel I would be more relaxed with someone shopping for groceries and preparing meals with them. Besides, I actually like cleaning when I have time for it. 

Before I was a SAHM, we had a cleaning lady who came once a week which was nice. Your post does remind me of the problem with having her, which was that she unloaded our dishwasher but stuff didn't always end up where it should have gone. Then I  would have to look around for it. It did always force us to clean up our junk before she came though. 

• Upvote 2

If I were rich, I'd hire a cleaner to come twice a week (not that we're filthy, I just like a clean kitchen floor and mine shows every. single. crumb. LOL), a chef 3 to 4 afternoons a week (they could cook enough for leftovers the other days!), and a yard/garden service because I HATE yard work but love to see pretty flower beds. 

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, prayawaythefundie said:

From what I could see in the video (Mind you, I only watched it once and I like Kate. I’m baffled at the level of obsession from @Jackie3 who just so loves to hate her.) she tried to loosen the pancake with a spatula first but it stuck to the pan and she then tried to flip it spatula-free. So maybe she tried too early or the pan wasn‘t greasy enough or she just never makes pancakes. *shrug*
It did look clumsy and she joked about. 

I can‘t believe I just analyzed this video. 🤪

I can't believe that someone is so desperate to hate anyone that they would latch on to that as proof of them being a horrible person. Dear god. Who cares? Maybe they don't like pancakes so she doesn't make them. I can't fry chicken (or fry most anything) to save my life, partly because I almost never make it since I a--can't stand it and b--can't eat it anyway as it sets off my digestive problems. Apparently not being able to make every food item under the sun is proof of inherent evilness, though. I'm glad that I'm enlightened about  that, now. 

ETA: There’s video on the internet of both Kate & William successfully flipping pancakes in Ireland in 2013. So I assume they’ve only become incompetent and evil sometime in the last 10 years. I assume somewhere around May, 2018. 

Edited by louisa05
  • Upvote 9
  • Haha 6

• samurai_sarah locked, unlocked and locked this topic