IGNORED

William & Kate 2

Coconut Flan
Destiny
Message added by Destiny,

If you want to discuss downvotes and the use thereof, take it to CD please.

At 15 I believe He is considered too old to be a honorary page boy and he will be attending as Earl of Wessex and Royal Peer who have other traditional roles to play. 

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 1

23 hours ago, Loveday said:

I'm looking forward to how often the name 'Cholmondeley' is mispronounced by the news media during the ceremony.🤣

I would probably be able to say it correctly once and then it would come out all southern after that.  That is why I was horrible at speaking Spanish.  I could probably get the first sentence in a somewhat proper pronunciation when reading out loud but once I got rolling it was awfully southern. 

• Haha 4
  • Love 1

23 hours ago, prayawaythefundie said:

While I believe they are friendly with each other,  I would not expect them to be so close that George has a clear preference for one of them. Charlotte and Iris Cholmondeley are closer in age. 

How do you know they are friendly with each other?

My high school Spanish teacher didn't have a drop of Spanish blood in her, in fact her heritage was Irish.  She went to LSU one summer and took a course in Castilian Spanish.  All that meant was she spit and sputtered a lot more on certain words.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

On 4/6/2023 at 7:59 PM, Jackie3 said:

How do you know they are friendly with each other?

I don‘t. I said I believe they are. As always, reading is key.

Edited by prayawaythefundie
  • Upvote 4
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Love 1

On 4/7/2023 at 3:24 PM, prayawaythefundie said:

I don‘t. I said I believe they are. As always, reading is key.

Yes, why do you believe that? 

whiner.jpg.2f9e6a1236600725b01c53d2a19ab5de.jpg. FtJmYcpWYAEDFJD.jpg.c8f8f09e5b14d8fb5c7d8f2eefbfaa66.jpg

On 4/5/2023 at 9:02 AM, tabitha2 said:

I really don’t think they would leave the decision to George and his preference.

The way I’ve seen it presented is that they wanted to make sure he was really ready and capable of performing the role, as well as wanting too. He’s very young. I could definitely see wanting to get close to the date, doing a lot of prep and just watching to see if he’s likely able to do it without getting too flustered.. There is a huge range in what even the most confident and practiced kid is able to carry off at his age.
If he was 12 or 13 it would likely be harder to give an acceptable reason to not participate if he just didn’t feel like it - unfortunately, as that seems like an overwhelming experience if the kid is shy or just self-conscious or easily distracted. 

Probably part of why they took Louis on the last couple official church holiday walks and services - not just because it’s a common age to start - but to get him practiced for behaving at whatever part of the coronation he attends. 

To George being teased by schoolmates for his costume — I doubt it. I don’t think kids make fun of things like that anymore. At least I know the kids that age in my family wouldn’t. Not saying they can’t be monsters and cruel and snarky about a million other things — but over-the-top fancy like that wouldn’t be picked on. 

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 1

35 minutes ago, Mama Mia said:

The way I’ve seen it presented is that they wanted to make sure he was really ready and capable of performing the role, as well as wanting too. He’s very young. I could definitely see wanting to get close to the date, doing a lot of prep and just watching to see if he’s likely able to do it without getting too flustered.. There is a huge range in what even the most confident and practiced kid is able to carry off at his age.
If he was 12 or 13 it would likely be harder to give an acceptable reason to not participate if he just didn’t feel like it - unfortunately, as that seems like an overwhelming experience if the kid is shy or just self-conscious or easily distracted. 

Probably part of why they took Louis on the last couple official church holiday walks and services - not just because it’s a common age to start - but to get him practiced for behaving at whatever part of the coronation he attends. 

To George being teased by schoolmates for his costume — I doubt it. I don’t think kids make fun of things like that anymore. At least I know the kids that age in my family wouldn’t. Not saying they can’t be monsters and cruel and snarky about a million other things — but over-the-top fancy like that wouldn’t be picked on. 

A nine-year boy is wearing a "lace jabot" and other fancy-pants clothes. You really think he won't be teased? 

10 hours ago, Mama Mia said:

Plus George is attending a posh British private school. His classmates will look at these things differently.

• Upvote 11

10 hours ago, Jackie3 said:

A nine-year boy is wearing a "lace jabot" and other fancy-pants clothes. You really think he won't be teased? 

I really don’t. Just my experience, in my area - which is extremely far removed from anything British upper-crust — kids LIKE over-the-top fancy. Boys included. While they wouldn’t  wear a lace jabot and a scarlet cloak and satin shorts or whatever to school - they wouldn’t find it weird if it was a you-tuber they liked. And if it was a boy in their class who was dressed like that to be in some huge event - they’d likely think it was cool. I think they’d see it kind of like being in a play- which really, is very similar.  Again, not saying the kids I know are any less mean and awful than average kids throughout time - just that this isn’t something that would set off their herd attack mode. 

• Upvote 10

I guess children and group dynamics are all different but if I knew one of my classmates was the future king I probably wouldn't pick that person to bully...   

Generally bullies tend to find weaker targets and social outcasts, not somebody with a lot of powerful allies. 

And I am pretty sure that even if the kids don't  think of these things  many of the parents have made a point of tellling their child to be nice to George. 

• Upvote 11
  • I Agree 4

I don't think the school would tolerate any bullying of any of the kids, but not of George especially.  Their reputation would tank if it happened and the information got out..  

• Upvote 14

5 hours ago, AmazonGrace said:

I guess children and group dynamics are all different but if I knew one of my classmates was the future king I probably wouldn't pick that person to bully...   

King George can tell you differently. He was bullied mercilessly at Gordonstoun. He was a target because he was POW. He was targeted because it was assumed he felt above everyone else.

Edward was also bullied, despite his "powerful allies."

5 hours ago, AmazonGrace said:

Generally bullies tend to find weaker targets and social outcasts, not somebody with a lot of powerful allies. 

Well, here's what one of Charles' classmates reports:

The older boys picked on Charles. I think one of the problems was that the staff said Charles was "not to be treated any different," which, I think, gave people an excuse to be nasty to him.

They would pick on him in his boarding house. We didn't pick on him in class but, on the rugby field, some boys would attack him, pulling his ears and hitting him. It was targeted. People would say, "We're going to 'do' Prince Charles," and they did.

I think that teenage boys can be very disagreeable anyway but I believe these boys bullied Charles because there was an element of class envy.

Charles' position caused MORE bullying, not less. Young boys don't care much about "powerful allies" as you think. 

Making friends with Charles made you a target for bullying. Boys can be very cruel.

But you were bullied if you were even friendly with him, let alone a friend. You were called "the King's friends," and you would be harassed for that. Boys would make sucking noises, as a way of saying you were "sucking up" to Charles. So people were cautious about befriending him which, when I look back now as a father and a grandfather, breaks my heart.

Edited by Jackie3

I can see parents asking their child " do you want to do this... wear this outfit, be in front of the cameras for this long, perform these duties, stand still (or whatever he will have to do)"?  And it the child says yes that the child wants to do it and thinks that he can handle it is a good thing.  William and Kate are giving George some control over his life.  Since the others are older than George if the RF needed an excuse for why George did not participate they had one already built in and no one had to know it was because George didn't want to do it or didn't feel comfortable. 

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 1

3 hours ago, Coconut Flan said:

Their reputation would tank if it happened and the information got out..  

And in this day and age, it will get out. 

Chances are good that many of George's peers at school and in society are dressed the same way. Didn't it used to be customary that a boy wore short pants until age 7 or 8 or something? 

• Upvote 7

I once read an article in (American) Vogue about a wedding in the UK (maybe Plum Sykes?) (as the bride, not the author) that said that the difference between our countries is that British boys will agree to wear satin slippers.

• Haha 6

On 4/13/2023 at 8:46 AM, TN-peach said:

I can see parents asking their child " do you want to do this... wear this outfit, be in front of the cameras for this long, perform these duties, stand still (or whatever he will have to do)"?  And it the child says yes that the child wants to do it and thinks that he can handle it is a good thing.  William and Kate are giving George some control over his life.  Since the others are older than George if the RF needed an excuse for why George did not participate they had one already built in and no one had to know it was because George didn't want to do it or didn't feel comfortable. 

I can't see the Cambridge parents doing this. Too much depends on the cute photos of their kids. I find it hard to believe that all three kids decided--on their own-- to dress in blue on Easter Sunday. 

• Upvote 1

Never have I ever told my kids what to wear....

No, wait, of course I have.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 15

On 4/14/2023 at 6:02 PM, Jackie3 said:

I can't see the Cambridge parents doing this. Too much depends on the cute photos of their kids. I find it hard to believe that all three kids decided--on their own-- to dress in blue on Easter Sunday. 

Yes, extremely odd to have your school age children in coordinated fancy outfits for ……checks notes… Easter. 

• Upvote 5
  • Haha 17
  • Love 1

15 hours ago, AmazonGrace said:

I let my kids make their own decisions at 7 and 9. It's about giving them autonomy and control. It helps kids develop independence and confidence. 

My kids usually made good decisions. When they chose mismatched outfits, it gave us something to laugh about. I still remember a few of them, they are good memories.

I'm sorry you missed out on that--it's fun to watch kids make their own choices about small matters, and gradually grow in confidence. 

14 hours ago, Mama Mia said:

Yes, extremely odd to have your school age children in coordinated fancy outfits for ……checks notes… Easter. 

Yes, I agree!

On 4/13/2023 at 11:01 AM, Coconut Flan said:

I don't think the school would tolerate any bullying of any of the kids, but not of George especially.  Their reputation would tank if it happened and the information got out..  

Yes, schools can eliminate bullying simply by saying it's against the rules! That happens all the time!

It helps that kids are never sneaky and teachers never turn their backs.

Sadly, even without the lace jabot, it seems likely that George will experience bullying. "He thinks he's better than everyone else"--that's the very attitude that caused Charles' bullying. Nine-year olds haven't changed that much.

13 hours ago, AmazonGrace said:

You monster. I bet you expect to brush their hair on picture day too? 

• Haha 13

5 hours ago, KnittingOwl said:

Did you make them wash their hands and face too?! 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 8

8 hours ago, KnittingOwl said:

One year, my daughter attended private school and they brought in a professional photographer for Picture Day. She insisted on styling my daughter's hair and removing the colorful barrette she wore. My daughter looks anxious and miserable.  She wanted her barrette back!

The next picture day--at public school--the photographer could not care less. So my daughter -- fresh from recess--has messy hair, sparkling eyes and wears 3 colorful necklaces.  That picture shows her personality! It's a treasure!

Let kids wear what they want!  It's not all about instagram.

As for Easter. . . does Kate want Charlotte to feel that she's incapable of choosing her own Easter outfit? Because that's the message you send when you steal those small decisions from children.

Sadly, I'll bet Kate will continue to take that choice from Charlotte till the kid is in her late teens. She seems that type.

On 4/18/2023 at 1:54 PM, AmazonGrace said:

Right? It's super incredibly common for families to coordinate for photos and also sometimes for holidays like Easter. They are little kids, they don't likely care much.

They have to wear uniforms to school, they are well used to the concept of specific clothes for specific occasions. They wear their Easter outfits for church, then change into whatever they want once they get home. Just like the majority of children who attend church on Easter, and nearly ALL children on the occasion of having formal family photos taken. Even when I was a kid back in the 80s, we got to pick out our Easter dresses, but they all coordinated.  And for professional photos, we wore coordinating outfits. Always. 

• Upvote 9

• samurai_sarah locked, unlocked and locked this topic