IGNORED

William & Kate 2

Coconut Flan
Destiny
Message added by Destiny,

If you want to discuss downvotes and the use thereof, take it to CD please.

We recognize that the food banks can buy more from some of the wholesalers but our church has Souper Bowl Sunday; we start taking cans of soup in mid January with a deadline of Feb 12 this year.  Last year there was a little under 2,000 cans of soup (we are a small church) and they are aiming for 2023 cans this year.   That is enough bulk that they can spend funds on something else.  And we do collect cash for them too.

• Upvote 5

The food bank I volunteer at doesn't take donations from people, only donation events that are arranged through local organizations and events and prearranged pickups from stores (primarily Target, Walmart and two local grocery stores. It just gets too chaotic taking other donations and storage space is an issue at times. There are other food banks and churches that take any donations, and we refer people to them if they want to donate. We do take cash donations at anytime.

We appreciate any publicity we can get as it brings in donations, specifically cash. 

• Upvote 5

Was looking for something else, when I randomly came across the food bank the Waleses visited. It's "Windsor Foodshare". The way they operate is that you can donate either money or food. If you want to donate food, you are asked to buy items off their virtual shopping list, by adding to cart and then checking out. And you're buying in bulk, not a single can of this and that, or whatever you vaguely suspect might be needed.

But, if anyone is interested, I've opened a thread for tales from the trenches of volunteering:

• Upvote 1
  • Thank You 8

22 minutes ago, samurai_sarah said:

If you want to donate food, you are asked to buy items off their virtual shopping list, by adding to cart and then checking out. And you're buying in bulk, not a single can of this and that, or whatever you vaguely suspect might be needed.

Well, that settles that, then. This food bank DID want food. In fact, they have a whole page describing different ways people can help. But they "gratefully accept" food. Their website provides a long list of foods they need.

1969157173_windsorfoodbank.png.e5e60126f0221f27016413767439fee9.png

Wills and Kate were even there on a Thursday, one of the days they accept donations.

I've been thinking about the baby brain incident. Kate took offense that Meghan had made a comment about her hormones, saying "We're not close enough for you to talk about my hormones." 

This is the same Kate who walked down a runway in a see-through dress. And wore quite a low-cut blazer just yesterday, in front of scads of press photographers.

This is the Kate who just launched a campaign to support babies and new mothers. She surely know, then, that the science supports the existence of "baby brain."

It seems pretty clear that Meghan was extending grace to Kate, when she forgot something. Trying to be kind and saying, "Dont' worry about it." In response, Kate was saying, "We are not friends. You need to treat me as a superior. You were too forward."

Edited by Jackie3
  • Haha 1

46 minutes ago, Jackie3 said:

(snip)This food bank DID want food. In fact, they have a whole page describing different ways people can help. But they "gratefully accept" food. Their website provides a long list of foods they need. (snip)

You're right! The website provides options to purchase different foods that are needed. Which bit was unclear?

Edited by samurai_sarah
  • Upvote 3

1 hour ago, samurai_sarah said:

You're right! The website provides options to purchase different foods that are needed. Which bit was unclear?

None, it's quite clear!

2 hours ago, Jackie3 said:

It seems pretty clear that Meghan was extending grace to Kate, when she forgot something. Trying to be kind and saying, "Dont' worry about it." 

No, that is not clear. That‘s not even Harry‘s one-sided version of the truth. It‘s your fan fiction. Nobody but Meghan can know her intentions when she said something about „baby brain“ (if that’s what she said). She might have been well-meaning and misunderstood or she was inconsiderate or she was stressed and that was her outlet or she was being mean. All possible.

And just because science supports the existence of „baby brain“ does not mean it is polite for someone to bring it up. Science also says there is obesity. I still don‘t like hearing I‘m fat.

Oh, and could you kindly let go of Kate‘s dresses and necklines? The nerve you have to accuse others of misogyny and bullying!

Edited by prayawaythefundie
  • Upvote 10
  • Eyeroll 1

The troll is rather like that creature in spirited away who kept eating everything and getting bigger and bigger....stop feeding the troll!

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 4

Some days it's hard especially when they throw stones at one personally, but it is all just to provoke a reaction.  Think of it as a toddler tantrum.  

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 4
  • Love 1

When I'm tempted to respond, I just go back and look at their posts, which are edited over and over as they keep quoting people who won't respond to them. It's pretty funny to watch. 

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 4
  • I Agree 2
  • Thank You 1

12 hours ago, prayawaythefundie said:

Alright, alright, you guys. I‘ll try some royal stoicism next time. 😉

"Ignore user" is very effective.

• Upvote 1
  • I Agree 4

Trolls like this make me long for the days of million dollar constipated fish. If one is going to devote their spare time to trolling a forum they should at least be creative. 

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 11
  • I Agree 4
  • Love 2

1 hour ago, rosamundi said:

"Ignore user" is very effective.

I don‘t like depriving myself of information.

Edited by prayawaythefundie
  • Upvote 2

18 minutes ago, prayawaythefundie said:

I don‘t like depriving myself of information.

Agree. And I also don't like not being able to see if a troll--any troll, not just this one-- has made a disparaging remark towards me, or is putting words into my mouth, or is otherwise being insulting towards me in particular. That's the one problem with putting someone on ignore. They can see everything I post, but I can't see any of their posts. I like to be able to speak up for myself and set the record straight in certain circumstances, because everyone else is seeing their posts, but that's not possible if I can't see what they're saying! 🥴

• Upvote 3

Nobody needs to speak up for themselves against the troll. The rest of us dont consider what the troll gurgles as important/relevant/true.

Seriously, it just makes the troll fulfilled when you feed it. Do you want an unfriendly troll enjoying themselves at your expense?

Also, you guys make me sad when I'm all insomniac and I see reponses to read...but it's just disappointing troll fodder instead of juicy snark!

Edited by WatchingTheTireFireBurn
Anti troll propaganda
  • Upvote 6
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 1

On 2/1/2023 at 10:58 PM, WatchingTheTireFireBurn said:

The troll is rather like that creature in spirited away who kept eating everything and getting bigger and bigger....stop feeding the troll!

Awww…but No Face is kind of cute! Especially after they purge out the other spirits they ate that made them act so horribly towards Chihiro. Then they’re really sweet and helpful. 

I love Studio Ghibli movies. 

• Love 3

I wish I was kind. I just picture those dream demons  who flew out of Freddy when they lured him to real world and  “killed” him in that one movie…

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, WatchingTheTireFireBurn said:

Nobody needs to speak up for themselves against the troll. The rest of us dont consider what the troll gurgles as important/relevant/true.

Seriously, it just makes the troll fulfilled when you feed it. Do you want an unfriendly troll enjoying themselves at your expense?

Also, you guys make me sad when I'm all insomniac and I see reponses to read...but it's just disappointing troll fodder instead of juicy snark!

I agree to a point. I no longer use any of the downvote emojis on their posts, satisfying though it was to hit the 'fuck you' button. And it's extremely rare now that I respond in an actual post of my own. But if some of us feel we'd like to speak up now and again, there is nothing in the FJ rules that says we can't, regardless of all the suggestions by mods and other members to ignore the troll. They're just that...suggestions (until a mod turns them into a rule, which considering the strong belief in free speech on FJ is probably not going to happen). Much appreciated, but if I feel strongly enough about a particular troll post, I will still say something. 🙂

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 1

Defend yourself if you must but just know getting into an argument or even trying to have a rational discussion with it is the worst thing to do. 

• Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, tabitha2 said:

Defend yourself if you must but just know getting into an argument or even trying to have a rational discussion with it is the worst thing to do. 

Like a lot of others here, I've been on teh internetz for a good 20 + years now, so I'm well aware of the pitfalls of engaging with trolls, but thanks! :)

• Upvote 1

On 2/3/2023 at 6:42 AM, Loveday said:

I no longer use any of the downvote emojis on their posts, satisfying though it was to hit the 'fuck you' button.

I've given one downvote in all my years here. I have no problem with people disagreeing.

331618934_2reputation.png.0d74cb3c2c2362c8ce393720fdd24457.png

On 2/3/2023 at 6:42 AM, Loveday said:

I no longer use any of the downvote emojis on their posts, satisfying though it was to hit the 'fuck you' button.

I've never hit that button, so I wouldn't know. I've only downvoted someone once. I have no problem with someone who has a differing opinion.

Edited by Jackie3

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/13/2023 at 1:46 PM, KnittingOwl said:

Camilla tested positive for Covid again. She’s canceling her visits for the week. Charles is not. 

“It does seem quite dramatic about the coronavirus! Is it being a little hyped up, do you think, in the media?!”

Prince William, March 2020

10 hours ago, Destiny said:

I can also find no proof that he actually said it. The quote comes from a satirical account on twitter.

Here's the link. It's from Time magazine.

4 hours ago, viii said:

We pretty much ALL said something like William did in the beginning before it really impacted the world. 

Of course we did!  I certainly had such thoughts. 

However, William was a senior royal in the British Commonwealth of Nations. He had access to far more information than we did.

He knew (or should have known) that *hundreds* of people around the world had already died of the virus. True, they were not English, but presumably they were important to someone, right? 

He knew (or should have know) that the virus spread incredibly easily.

He knew (or should have known) how poorly prepared countries were for managing and containing Covid-19.

The average person may have had their doubts in March, 2020. But our leaders had the information that told them that this was a serious matter. That's why schools, offices, sports arenas, theatres and businesses starting shutting down that very same month. Our leaders knew things we did not know.

William was not one of those leaders. He thought it was funny.

• Upvote 1
  • Fuck You 3
  • Eyeroll 1

• samurai_sarah locked, unlocked and locked this topic