IGNORED

William & Kate 2

Coconut Flan
Destiny
Message added by Destiny,

If you want to discuss downvotes and the use thereof, take it to CD please.

Modern capitalism is just as politically destabilizing. The civil war in Guatemala that lasted over 30 years was directly linked to the injustices caused by the US companies running the plantations.  It would be naive to think that Guatemala is the only country this has happened in as a direct result of capitalism destabilizing local culture and economies. 

But, this is perhaps getting a bit off topic.  I do appreciate the discussion @noseybutt, I have had to go back and refresh my memory on the Guatemalan facts (its been 16 years since I lived there), and I did have to go and actually look up the definition of colonialism on Merriam Webster to make sure, so it's been a very interesting day.  

Edited by treehugger
  • Upvote 6

4 minutes ago, treehugger said:

Modern capitalism is just as politically destabilizing. The civil war in Guatemala that lasted over 30 years was directly linked to the injustices caused by the US companies running the plantations.  It would be naive to think that Guatemala is the only country this has happened in as a direct result of capitalism destabilizing local culture and economies. 

I’m not saying capitalism doesn’t destabilize. It does. But destabilization is not the end goal. Most corporations prefer consumers, not populations entrenched in war and extreme poverty. That doesn’t make the behavior of corporations okay. It’s a different goal.

8 minutes ago, treehugger said:

But, this is perhaps getting a bit off topic.  I do appreciate the discussion @noseybutt, I have had to go back and refresh my memory on the Guatemalan facts (its been 16 years since I lived there), and I did have to go and actually look up the definition of colonialism on Merriam Webster to make sure, so it's been a very interesting day.  

What you are saying is a good reminder to think about our own behaviors. I’m down with that. What has happened in Guatemala (and many other countries) is tragic. 

• Upvote 2

Also, just to be crystal clear, when I compare capitalism with colonialism I am strictly referring to large conglomerates who destabilize countries in order to access and steal their resources for either cheap or free (it is hard to make a profit off the resources of a happy, healthy country) and massive businesses like Amazon that exploit their workers by often paying workers in countries like India, Pakistan and Indonesia, etc…, slave wages and unsafe work conditions while taking in massive profits. I am not talking about little mom and pop shops or small local businesses or even the average person. While it is good to look at our behaviours and do what we can to make sure we are treating people fairly, we are not responsible for the reprehensible behaviour of large, unethical corporations. They should be responsible for their own behaviour. 

And now, back to the royals, who could be doing so much more to showcase and enhance ethical living by championing businesses that actually give a crap about both fair wages, safe working conditions, and the environment. And looking at how they can reduce their own massive carbon footprint, and looking more actively for ways to support those they colonized (literally) in the past. 

Edited by treehugger
  • Upvote 3

4 hours ago, treehugger said:

And looking at how they can reduce their own massive carbon footprint, and looking more actively for ways to support those they colonized (literally) in the past.

Their carbon footprint is many times more than yours or mine. When they die, they will have done so much more damage to the planet than the average citizen. 

• Move Along 3
  • Fuck You 1

On 1/1/2023 at 6:11 PM, viii said:

This whole discussion reminds me of Harry & Meghan. Despite the manner it is delivered, a lot of @Jackie3’s criticism aimed at William & Kate is perfectly valid. Neither of them work as much as they should.

It's so funny when the papers moan that Sussex' departure will cause a "burden" to fall on Kate and Will.

The "burden" of more engagements, that is. Kate will have to work 15 days instead of 11 next year.

That leaves only 350 free days to recover from smiling.

• Upvote 1
  • Move Along 2
  • Fuck You 1
  • Downvote 1
  • Eyeroll 1

43 minutes ago, Jackie3 said:

Their carbon footprint is many times more than yours or mine. When they die, they will have done so much more damage to the planet than the average citizen. 

So is Harry and Meghan's, when are you going to moan about theirs?

• Upvote 6

Ok, I correct myself. The obnoxiouness does get to me but the repetitiveness (is that a word?) more so. I think it has been established that all the royals and ex-working royals I‘m aware of are the following

- richer than anyone deserves to be (if there is such a thing as deserving wealth or not)

- won‘t save the planet or the poorest humans on earth with their charities

- have a huge carbon footprint

- are not working their asses off in long shifts for minimum wage

- profit from past or present exploitation

- will want to keep their privileges

But how is repeating that not boring if we all know it? 

ETA: This is not directed at the colonialism vs capitalism discussion. That was an interesting read. Thank you.

Edited by prayawaythefundie
  • Upvote 9

• 4 weeks later...

Today, Wills and Kate showed up at a food bank empty-handed. A food bank that was 15 minutes from one of their homes, Adelaide Cottage. They arrived in a high-end Range Rover ($200,000). They brought nothing with them, no food, nothing.

There were many photographers there to get a photo op of the Windsors "helping out at a food bank." The food bank, however, was only given a hour's warning that the royals planned to visit them.

So they were using the foodbank for a photo op, basically.

774122815_foodbank.png.60abaca8de191a17f7941019879388f7.png

Wills and Kate were at the food bank for less than an hour.  All in all, the visit required 2 cars, 2 bodyguards and 2 drivers. 

There's something wrong with a billionaire who shows up at a food bank empty-handed.

It didn't take long for photos of the food bank visit appeared on the BRF instagrams. Photos of Kate and Wills appeared on the page for the Prince and Princess of Wales AND on Charles' page too. Maybe others, too.  Good thing they had  nine photographers there!

Neither Instagram page linked to the food bank's page for donations. Even though the food bank administrator said they rely solely on private donations. 

To me, the fact they couldn't be bothered to include a link just shows they were using that food bank. They don't really care whether it succeeds or not.

Here's Harry and Meghan delivering food in LA on Easter morning. They delivered food that Wednesday, too. And, that same week, they donated $112,000 to a food bank. 

Fnj4VknWQAA3Jxe.jpg.4b8bb723e476f2221b5f411d8771b32a.jpg

Edited by Jackie3

They also didn't post an info about the organization they visit to social media, which, if they really wanted to help, would have done the most good. 

• Upvote 4

36 minutes ago, anjulibai said:

They also didn't post an info about the organization they visit to social media, which, if they really wanted to help, would have done the most good. 

Even though the food bank told them they relied solely on private donations!

I have no dog in this race, so this is just about my personal experience with foodbanks in the UK:

My local food banks in the UK absolutely discourage donors from showing up with bags of food. Instead, they work with local supermarkets, posting lists of foods they actually need in the supermarkets alongside providing boxes to drop off the food.

Mostly, they are requesting tinned foods and other non-perishables, so if I'm shopping, I pick a few items off the list and then leave them in the appropriate box. The reason they do that is because it makes more sense than having people show up with random produce that is unwanted/can't be stored.

It makes sense from a logistical point of view and provides people with things they actually need.

• Upvote 10
  • Thank You 1

31 minutes ago, samurai_sarah said:

I have no dog in this race, so this is just about my personal experience with foodbanks in the UK:

My local food banks in the UK absolutely discourage donors from showing up with bags of food. Instead, they work with local supermarkets, posting lists of foods they actually need in the supermarkets alongside providing boxes to drop off the food.

Mostly, they are requesting tinned foods and other non-perishables, so if I'm shopping, I pick a few items off the list and then leave them in the appropriate box. The reason they do that is because it makes more sense than having people show up with random produce that is unwanted/can't be stored.

It makes sense from a logistical point of view and provides people with things they actually need.

I'm not sure how our local foodbank works, except for the 'Mayflower Marathon' they do every Thanksgiving. A big Mayflower moving company truck sits in a mall parking lot for a few days the week before Thanksgiving, and people stop by to donate frozen turkeys, canned and boxed food, and money. A local radio station talks it up the entire time they're there, and a LOT of food is donated. The money is used to fill in whatever items they still need. The rest of the year, I think they rely as much on monetary donations as food itself, but I'm not sure.

I usually just donate a couple bags of canned/boxed/personal care items to my church's food pantry every other month or so (I've always got a bag in the process of being filled), and donate money during the second collection on the Sundays that that collection is designated to the food pantry. My mother always donated to the Food Bank, and we're still getting letters from them addressed to her, asking for donations. I need to let them know she's no longer with us so they don't waste the postage. Or tell them to send them in my name and I'll start sending a donation several times a year in her memory. Come to think of it, that's a good idea--I think she'd appreciate it. ❤️ 

• Upvote 4
  • Love 2

2 hours ago, samurai_sarah said:

A food bank that didn't want food? OK. Then Wills could have left a check. I'm sure the food bank ("We rely exclusively on private donations") would have loved a check. 

If Wills couldn't afford it, he could have included a link to the food bank on the royal's instagram page. 

Edited by Jackie3
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Jackie3 said:

A food bank that didn't want food? OK. Then Wills could have left a check. I'm sure the food bank ("We rely exclusively on private donations") would have loved a check. 

If Wills couldn't afford it, he could have included a link to the food bank on the royal's instagram page. 

Are you expecting a giant check and balloons like Publisher’s Clearinghouse? Maybe they did make a donation and just don’t feel the need to brag about it in public. 

• Upvote 10
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 2

8 hours ago, samurai_sarah said:

Same here. I used to volunteer at one and we much prefer it when people either donate money or followed the list at the local supermarkets. Around Christmas people donate a lot of chocolate and biscuits and stuff, which is very kind and thoughtful of them, and we are very grateful, but it did mean that at one point we had shelves and shelves of fancy biscuits but no breakfast cereal, tinned tomatoes or tea. When people donate money we can go and stock up on what we're running low on, and take advantage of multibuys or go to Costco for bulk purchases.

• Upvote 9

On 1/3/2023 at 5:37 AM, Jackie3 said:

Does the repetitive trashing of the Sussex's bother you, too?  Lots of people doing that.

Perhaps that's  OK, because it lets you  bully a woman, a biracial woman at that. IT's fun to jump on the bandwagon and bully her.

At least I am pointing out facts (facts you actually agreed to above). Eleven engagements a year is eleven engagements a year.

You are inventing things that no one can prove ("She's a narcissist!" "She's controlling him!"). Because you have no facts but you want to bully this woman.

Oh, I just saw this. For the last time: don‘t put words in my mouth! I don‘t bully Meghan, I never called her a narcissist and I don’t invent anything about her. Lots of people doing something does not mean I‘m doing it. Stop it, troll!

Edited by prayawaythefundie
  • Upvote 7

7 hours ago, KnittingOwl said:

Are you expecting a giant check and balloons like Publisher’s Clearinghouse? Maybe they did make a donation and just don’t feel the need to brag about it in public. 

It's possible they did, but I have a hard time believing they wouldn't want positive PR over something like that. That's something they typically announce. 

2 hours ago, prayawaythefundie said:

Oh, I just saw this. For the last time: don‘t put words in my mouth! I don‘t bully Meghan, I never called her a narcissist and I don’t invent anything about her. Lots of people doing something does not mean I‘m doing it. Stop it, troll!

I know it's tempting, but don't engage with the troll. It's much funnier to watch them go back and edit their posts over and over, essentially having a conversation with themselves, because nobody is responding to their drivel. 

• Upvote 5
  • Haha 1
  • Thank You 3

8 hours ago, KnittingOwl said:

LOL, sure. They took photographers and a videographer AND a reporter with them for their visit. But they made a secret donation.

I thought I remembered from one of the articles about the visit that William said that they would come back later without the cameras to help pack boxes. 

• Upvote 2

19 minutes ago, TN-peach said:

I thought I remembered from one of the articles about the visit that William said that they would come back later without the cameras to help pack boxes. 

And as @KnittingOwl said, they may well have donated a chunk of money, but perhaps they just don't announce amounts; I don't think I've ever seen an article that states 'William and Kate' or 'Edward and Sophie,' or whichever royal, donated X number of pounds to Y charity.' Doesn't mean they don't, just means they do it privately, as most of us do. I mean, if people find out that a member of the royal family donated 50,000 pounds to a food bank, they might decide the food bank doesn't need their much smaller donation, so publicising it might discourage giving rather than encourage. If that makes any sense. 

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 1

The Royals give through the Royal Foundation. Here is an excerpt from the Royal Foundation's most recent report. The Foundation gave about $15 million pounds to charity. Nearly all of that was for the Earthshot Prize--the report specifically mentions the "huge gala" the Foundation paid for.

1713980827_royalfoundation.png.7410044a078531bc08fc21269affffc9.png

So basically, the Royal Foundation spends most of its donations on the Earthshot Prize. 

In addition, Kate's Early Years project costs about 1 million pounds a year, spent on "research." I wonder how many small children that money could have helped?

(The funds in the Royal Foundation are donated by "private donors." There's no evidence that Kate and Wills are one of these private donors, though it's possible, of course.)

Edited by Jackie3

4 hours ago, viii said:

Yes, from what I can remember, all they announce is a private donation. They never disclose the amount. 

They didn't announce a private donation to the food bank. 

5 hours ago, TN-peach said:

Why didn't he just send the cameras away and get to work then? 

I don't really believe that Wills and Kate are ever going to return to help. Let alone become regular, weekly volunteers. Maybe they will, but I don't see it happening. They didn't even care enough to include a link to the food bank for donations.

Wills was the one who told the photographers where he'd be, in the first place. Why couldn't he just send them away and then help out, if he felt unable to work in their presence?

This reminds me of the times they visited Ukrainian refugee centers. Once they came empty-handed. The second time they brought the volunteers' snacks, with Kate saying, "I wish I could do more." Wills said, “I'm sorry we can only come and give words…we can give you the odd smile here and there…” 

Kate "wishes she could do more?" Then do more! Ask the center what they need. Rent a uhaul and fill it with those items--blankets, canned goods, hygiene items, whatever is needed.. Drive it to the center. 

Each time, they brought photographers with them. Again, they didn't provide any links so that others could help. 

There's so many ways they could use their position and platform to help. Post links to the donation page of the charity. Post a list of ways you can get involve. Contact local businesses for donations. Create an Amazon wish list. Come back a few months later and show how the donations have been spent. 

Poverty tourism.

Our local food bank specifically asks that people not donate food.  They want cash because they can buy much more per dollar through a government program(Feeding America, maybe?) than a dollar will buy at a grocery store. 

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 2

17 hours ago, sableduck said:

Our local food bank specifically asks that people not donate food.  They want cash because they can buy much more per dollar through a government program(Feeding America, maybe?) than a dollar will buy at a grocery store. 

Do they like people to come by just to visit with an hour's notice, bringing photographers? 

The Royal Foundation doesn't have a lot of money since Earthshot broke away. Nonetheless, Kate spends a  million pounds per year of Royal Foundation funds on his mission of hers. She wants everyone agree that infancy and early childhood are important. Here's what she wrote yesterday.

83404346_earlychildhood.thumb.png.056be4dafdf422b32512dd293e821909.png

Nobody knew this, of course, till she started this mission. Doesn't matter that none of this money is spent on food, shelter or clothing for young kids.

At least William is proud of her, though.

947463664_williamisproud.png.ebe099795786e3d618676f07f4183aa0.png

Kate's office just released this video about her Shaping Us campaign.  I'm not sure what it is try to say.. Babies are cute? Be nice to little kids? It took 10 years to come up with this? Remember, this campaign has cost a million pounds a year, at least for the last two years (I didn't look beyond that).

How does this help the mother of a two-year old?

This will play in Britain as a preview at the movies.

Why not call the food bank and ask them what they need? Peanut butter (this is usually a yes)? Diapers? A check?  Public awareness? Trust me, they'll need something.

• I Agree 1

• samurai_sarah locked, unlocked and locked this topic