IGNORED

William & Kate 2

Coconut Flan
Destiny
Message added by Destiny,

If you want to discuss downvotes and the use thereof, take it to CD please.

12 hours ago, tabitha2 said:

I have a hunch Camilla has more health problems then they let on. 

I wouldn't be surprised, I think she's stopped now but she was a smoker for a long time, and that continues to be a risk factor for a lot of illnesses.

• Upvote 4

On 2/13/2023 at 3:43 PM, Jackie3 said:

“It does seem quite dramatic about the coronavirus! Is it being a little hyped up, do you think, in the media?!”

Prince William, March 2020

The first Covid case in the US was February 29, 2020. We had NO clue what was in store for us at that point. Lots of us were saying the same things at that point. 

• Upvote 8
  • I Agree 4

2 hours ago, KnittingOwl said:

The first Covid case in the US was February 29, 2020. We had NO clue what was in store for us at that point. Lots of us were saying the same things at that point. 

I can also find no proof that he actually said it. The quote comes from a satirical account on twitter. That said, in early March of 2020, I'm quite certain I probably said something along those lines. It wasn't real to most people till it most definitely was.

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 1

2 hours ago, KnittingOwl said:

The UK had its first confirmed case on 31st January 2020, our first death on 4th March (a British citizen had died overseas a few days earlier). Schools were closed on the 18th March. We went into lockdown on 23rd March.

William made his comment on Tuesday 3rd March, before we'd had a single death and when we had 51 or so confirmed cases, at a time when a lot of people were trying to play it down. We weren't in lockdown (William and Katherine were in Ireland on a royal tour), our Prime Minister said he'd been to a hospital and shaken hands with "everybody".

• Thank You 7

1 minute ago, rosamundi said:

William made his comment on Tuesday 3rd March, before we'd had a single death and when we had 51 or so confirmed cases, at a time when a lot of people were trying to play it down.

I stand corrected. I didn't find that article, even after excluding twitter from the search results. I'd still bet money that I said something similar around that date, 'cause I remember doing it, though not the date obviously.

Also, I've just realised that we are in the Charles thread and William is not on topic here. Further discussion of this should go in the William thread.

1 hour ago, viii said:

We pretty much ALL said something like William did in the beginning before it really impacted the world. 

Everybody did.  Our pastor said something along the lines of "in a couple of weeks, they will find something else to scare us with".  This was the next horrible thing we had been threatened with for decades.  

• Upvote 2

FYI, i messed up while moving the posts from the other thread, and accidentally moved two more recent posts to a older one re: this post:

I apologize for my error. 

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, Destiny said:

I stand corrected. I didn't find that article, even after excluding twitter from the search results. I'd still bet money that I said something similar around that date, 'cause I remember doing it, though not the date obviously.

Also, I've just realised that we are in the Charles thread and William is not on topic here. Further discussion of this should go in the William thread.

Beyond the fact that it hadn't really spread yet, we'd already heard all the doomsaying about swine flu and bird flu and ebola, etc... without it leading to shutting things down or overcrowding hospitals. So it seemed like the same thing again. 

• I Agree 11

We all said things like that. But Wills was not your average Joe. He had a position of influence and responsibility.

Bear in mind, China had lockdowns since January 2020.  Presidents and heads of state were encouraging the public to take Covid seriously, even then. 

Wills had access to far more information than the general public. He surely knew that hundreds had already died of Covid (though none yet in the UK or Britain). Yet he makes jokes and says it's overblown?

While other leaders were encouraging caution, he says this sort of thing? It was foolish and irresponsible.

• Move Along 2
  • Fuck You 1

3 hours ago, louisa05 said:

Beyond the fact that it hadn't really spread yet, we'd already heard all the doomsaying about swine flu and bird flu and ebola, etc... without it leading to shutting things down or overcrowding hospitals. So it seemed like the same thing again. 

Sars-CoV-1 had 4 cases in the UK and no deaths in the 2003 outbreak, despite starting off very similarly to the Sars-CoV-2 outbreak. A lot of people thought it would likely progress in the same way in early 2020. The lockdowns started when people realised that it was a lot more transmissible, and also (unlike in 2003) temperature checks were not a reliable way of screening passengers on aircraft. If you caught SARS you were very quickly symptomatic and very sick, unlike covid-19 which had asymptomatic/low symptomatic transmission from early on, and a longer pre-symptomatic period (days rather than hours).

• Upvote 6

So William was just as dumb as the rest of us in early 2020. Not really news.

I actually remember myself saying we should be more concerned about flu season. 🙈

Edited by prayawaythefundie
  • Upvote 4
  • I Agree 3

6 hours ago, prayawaythefundie said:

So William was just as dumb as the rest of us in early 2020. Not really news.

I actually remember myself saying we should be more concerned about flu season. 🙈

Wills had access to a lot more info that we did! If he chose to listen to it. Leading scientists would take his call, while they wouldn't take mine. His position of influence comes with ra responsibility to educate himself. 

I am guessing the hundreds who had already died in China didn't mean much to him.

Edited by Jackie3
  • Move Along 1

21 hours ago, Jackie3 said:

Wills had access to a lot more info that we did!

I‘m not sure that he did. At the time he was neither monarch nor direct heir. No red box or something like that for him. He might have had access to bits of extra information but I doubt he was regularly briefed other than we were: by reading/watching news.

Anyway, he underestimated the danger of covid, there‘s no denying that. But it doesn‘t make him stand out among people in leading positions because so many did. 

Edited by prayawaythefundie
  • Upvote 8

3 hours ago, prayawaythefundie said:

I‘m not sure that he did. At the time he was neither monarch nor direct heir. No red box or something like that for him. He might have had access to bits of extra information but I doubt he was regularly briefed other than we were: by reading/watching news.

Anyway, he underestimated the danger of covid, there‘s no denying that. But it doesn‘t make him stand out among people in leading positions because so many did. 

Any scientist in the world would have taken a call from Prince William in an instant.

If I'm a virologist in a lab, terrified about Covid's spread--a call from an influential person would be like winning the lottery. 

Whatever statement Wills makes appears on the front page of the paper. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Jackie3 said:

Any scientist in the world would have taken a call from Prince William in an instant.

Yeah, that‘s the point about underestimating. If you don‘t think it‘s dangerous, you won‘t call any scientists about it. 

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 1

On 2/17/2023 at 11:05 AM, prayawaythefundie said:

Yeah, that‘s the point about underestimating. If you don‘t think it‘s dangerous, you won‘t call any scientists about it. 

Exactly! A world leader (or person of influence) has an obligation to educate himself before making a statement. He easily could have educated himself. 

• Move Along 1
  • Eyeroll 1

He made the comment to a paramedic in Ireland? Northern Ireland? At the time only an handful of cases was known there iirc. There was no talk of social distancing or masks yet. But the severity was setting in at that point because of the development in other countries. Two weeks later lockdown hit. 
Wiliam often comes across a bit socially awkward when he tries to be anything other than reserved. “The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge are spreading Coronavirus.”, was definitely not his finest hour. Especially as he caught it shortly afterwards. 
So, this conversation aged rather badly pretty quickly. He did get massive criticism for it though? Not from the DailyFail, they were still busy acting as if the Cambridges were Gods gift to humanity. But social media and comments didn’t let him get away. It was stupid joke to make. While Ireland and the UK were far from acknowledging at this point, Italy for example was already a horrible look into the future. So Wiliam was ignorant from a global perspective. But compared to the official government and public opinion at that moment in time in the countries he represented/visited the joke was pretty normal. It’s just that his stupid comments will be out there to be remembered (and he would do good to remember this fact a bit more).

• Upvote 2

Changing the topic: wtf was Kate’s BAFTA look? How could it happen that Wiliam was the better looking?

I don’t dislike the individual pieces but together it was a mess. The gloves are dramatic and needed a different dress (someone wished for moody old Hollywood glam- I can see that). The earrings are a real statement and needed a different outfit (edgy and clean). The dress screamed ethereal and needed a whimsical updo - if there ever was a moment for a messy bun- that was it. The new shoulder detail is a bit lacklustre though. The short front bit feels off. 
The look is slowly growing on me but that might just be that you get used to the sight (like you get used to the name Spurgeon).

• Upvote 2
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Haha 2

Someone on Reddit mentioned a fancy penguin, and now I can’t unsee that 😅

For thé record, I think Kate is beautiful and she would look good in a paper bag, so this is not making fun of her looks. I just had to laugh at the description of the outfit. 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 7

Wow. That's a weird look. Earrings hair make up...doesn't seem to go together in any part.

I think I'm an outlier but I don't think she dresses very well for events, especially evening gowns. The dresses seem either to accentuate her so she seems more angular and harsh or like this dress it's waaay to much fabric for her and she's drowning in it.

Her more day to day wear flatters her more and seems to "fit" her style wise. 

Not that my opinion matters in the least but I've always found it odd that given the ability to wear anything she picks those dresses.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, just_ordinary said:

Changing the topic: wtf was Kate’s BAFTA look? How could it happen that Wiliam was the better looking?

I don’t dislike the individual pieces but together it was a mess. The gloves are dramatic and needed a different dress (someone wished for moody old Hollywood glam- I can see that). The earrings are a real statement and needed a different outfit (edgy and clean). The dress screamed ethereal and needed a whimsical updo - if there ever was a moment for a messy bun- that was it. The new shoulder detail is a bit lacklustre though. The short front bit feels off. 
The look is slowly growing on me but that might just be that you get used to the sight (like you get used to the name Spurgeon).

I had the exact same reaction at first! And just like you said, it’s beginning to look less bad the more photos I look at. Might this be one of those Gen Z inspired looks that I hate myself for starting to like? This happens a lot to me with my students‘ fashion. There are some I will never like though. That‘s usually haircuts that were ugly in the 80s and 90s and still are. 

6 minutes ago, WatchingTheTireFireBurn said:

Wow. That's a weird look. Earrings hair make up...doesn't seem to go together in any part.

That‘s what makes me think of Gen Z fashion. Maybe I just don‘t get it but it looks like they try to mismatch a lot.

• Upvote 1
  • I Agree 1

On 2/15/2023 at 3:08 AM, KnittingOwl said:

By late February I’d already stocked up on everything and had a couple big bins of canned goods, snack bars, soap, toilet paper,  hand sanitizer, etc set aside. And cancelled a community gathering that included many elderly people.  I did go to some school events and Ash Wednesday early March before everything shut down. We had our first local confirmed case second? week of March and one my grandkids and her folks had to be guaranteed due to exposure and symptoms. Very scary at the time. She got her clear test results the day before absolutely everything shut down.  Some people were absolutely taking it seriously in early March. 

• Upvote 2

The combination definitely wouldn't have been my first choice.  Maybe with white gloves it looked too Snow White?  Was she trying to match Will maybe?  The earrings leave me with no words.  

• Upvote 2

• samurai_sarah locked, unlocked and locked this topic