IGNORED

William & Kate 2

Coconut Flan
Destiny
Message added by Destiny,

If you want to discuss downvotes and the use thereof, take it to CD please.

When I get back to work, I‘ll make sure to never smile at my pupils because I wouldn‘t be working then. Will be such a fun atmosphere for them in class.

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1
  • Love 8

20 hours ago, Sweetpickle said:

Perhaps I missed this so forgive me. But at most of these meet and great events Catherine talks and interacts. I’m pretty sure she doesn’t show up with a dumb grin and make a fool of herself with obvious questions. There’s prep work that goes into knowing people’s names, what work they’ve put into certain causes.. I would guess she puts in a good bit of time “studying.”

But wait! Models don’t even talk! And somebody pays them!

• Haha 10

And for goodness sakes don’t ever wear nicer flattering clothes if you want people to believe you actually work. How dare! 

• Upvote 6
  • Haha 1

Sometimes I think  smiling is the hardest part of my job. Takes real effort on some days.

• Upvote 10
  • I Agree 1

1 hour ago, AmazonGrace said:

Sometimes I think  smiling is the hardest part of my job. Takes real effort on some days.

I have to be on all the time. It is exhausting.

• Upvote 7

It's true that Kate did do this, back in March. She was carried on the backs of Black people on a throne. How much should she be get for this? How much were the people paid who carried her?

throne.jpg.6d0118e52be95ec5d5ce28311402159c.jpg

Edited by Jackie3
  • Downvote 3

3 hours ago, tabitha2 said:

And for goodness sakes don’t ever wear nicer flattering clothes if you want people to believe you actually work. How dare! 

That's right! Nothing says your event is important to me more than showing up in old ratty clothes. 😆

• Upvote 4
  • Haha 3

I have now learned Serious! working!  people never smile, never sit and never look attractive , let alone be seen in new clothes. 

Our Troll is really all about that Puritan core. 

• Haha 6

4 hours ago, AmazonGrace said:

Luckily Kate only had to smile for 11 days in 2021. She probably needed to rest the remainder of the year. It was so exhausting!

She certainly earns the millions she takes from those fast food workers and hospice nurses. You know, those with the easy jobs.

LOL!

• Move Along 1
  • Fuck You 1
  • Downvote 3
  • Bless Your Heart 1
  • Eyeroll 2

This whole discussion reminds me of Harry & Meghan. Despite the manner it is delivered, a lot of @Jackie3’s criticism aimed at William & Kate is perfectly valid. Neither of them work as much as they should. Even the most staunch royalist has called them work shy in the past. Every member of the BRF don’t work enough to justify the money they receive in return. However, all the validity is overlooked because of the obnoxiousness in the way it’s delivered - similar to H&M. Valid complaints but complete fuckery in the delivery. 

• Upvote 5
  • Confused 1
  • Eyeroll 2
  • I Agree 1

That criticism applies to everyone at that level.  The same can be said about Harry and Megan. Or Jeff Bezos, or Elon Musk, or Bill Gates, etc...  Or any successful actor or actress or CEO or wealthy trust fund kid. No one who makes tens of millions can work hard enough to earn it. William and Kate don't work hard enough to earn even half of the money they spend in a year.  Frankly, neither do Meghan and Harry.  Again, they are more similar than they are different.  My husband has worked his way up the career ladder, and is now in the position where his job consists of zoom meetings, work lunches, and conferences, yet the hardest he ever worked was when he was making minimum wage in construction.  I think Royalty is a superfluous job, but frankly, there are a lot of jobs that are.  Being an actress is also somewhat superfluous in the grand scheme of things.  But it is a job.  So is being a royal, apparently.  It is a strange sort of world. 

Edited by treehugger
  • Upvote 10
  • Love 3

With Jeff Bezos and Bill Gates, they built their businesses from the ground up. A lot of actors and actresses started with nothing and pounded the pavement to get employed - Jim Carey was homeless and lived in a van before he earned his millions. And you might consider acting a superfluous job but majority of those people put in 12-18 hour days for months at a time. The BRF puts in 12 hours maybe in a week - I don’t think they can be compared. 

William was born into his wealth that was earned on the back of slavery and colonization. I think there is a huge difference when it comes to the average celebrity and the BRF. 

• Upvote 2
  • Eyeroll 1

1 hour ago, viii said:

This whole discussion reminds me of Harry & Meghan. Despite the manner it is delivered, a lot of @Jackie3’s criticism aimed at William & Kate is perfectly valid. Neither of them work as much as they should. Even the most staunch royalist has called them work shy in the past. Every member of the BRF don’t work enough to justify the money they receive in return. However, all the validity is overlooked because of the obnoxiousness in the way it’s delivered - similar to H&M. Valid complaints but complete fuckery in the delivery. 

Have to disagree here. It‘s not obnoxiousness but making things up that I‘m calling out. Valid points are very much weakened if you try to prove them with obviously false information.

At @Jackie3 keeps talking about 11 work days even though that number has been disproven. Now she posted pictures of William & Kate being carried years ago and claims they are from March 2022 (I mean look at his hair!). Is there valid criticism to the pictures existing? Yes, so why the need to „support“ it with alternative facts? And she absolutely knows they are old pictures because they are her favourites. She uses them frequently.

There is a similarity to the H&M discussion though: Those two can‘t keep their facts straight either but want us to believe their every word.

Edited by prayawaythefundie
  • Upvote 8
  • I Agree 1

Ah, but Jeff Bezos and Bill Gates didn't build their empires from the ground up all on their own.  They built it on the backs of so many underpaid and enslaved people.  Like it or not, the modern day CEO is absolutely the equivalent of old fashioned Royalty.  Bezos' wealth, and the wealth of most billionaires and ultra-wealthy millionaires was also built on the back of slavery and colonization.  We haven't left that in the past. Modern capitalism is colonialism. 

• Upvote 9
  • Love 2

44 minutes ago, viii said:

William was born into his wealth that was earned on the back of slavery and colonization. I think there is a huge difference when it comes to the average celebrity and the BRF. 

Agreed but so was Harry and he also still uses that money (and his family of origin‘s fame) to have a comfortable life with Meghan. I‘m not saying this to put Harry down but I think it‘s ludicrous how these two are built up to be hard working heroes in comparison to the royal family.

They are all very rich people. They all live of inherited wealth that was once „gathered“ (for lack of a better word) violently against human rights. They are so very much the same. The only difference is that the BRF still receives formal payment from the public and shuts up while Harry & Meghan take everyone‘s money (paid voluntarily via Netflix of Spotify) simply for complaining for the eleventieth time about how hard their royal life was. How can anyone make them out to be so different?

5 minutes ago, treehugger said:

Ah, but Jeff Bezos and Bill Gates didn't build their empires from the ground up all on their own.  They built it on the backs of so many underpaid and enslaved people.  Like it or not, the modern day CEO is absolutely the equivalent of old fashioned Royalty.  Bezos' wealth, and the wealth of most billionaires and ultra-wealthy millionaires was also built on the back of slavery and colonization.  We haven't left that in the past. Modern capitalism is colonialism. 

That and from what I‘ve heard, Jeff Bezos had his empire built by his wife to a great degree. She was doing lots of the hard work in the beginning.

Edited by prayawaythefundie
  • Upvote 7
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 2

I didn't say actors didn't work.  I said in the grand scheme of things, it is as much a superfluous job as being working royalty.  As in, neither job is actually necessary. But the actually necessary jobs never pay as much.  People working actually necessary jobs (like plumbers and farmers and healthcare workers) don't make millions and millions of dollars doing what they do.  

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 3

Oh, absolutely. Everyone there is incredibly privileged and majority don’t seem to appreciate it. 

Blows my mind that in 2023 with the state of the world, actors and athletes make millions of dollars while the world suffers. 

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 2

1 hour ago, viii said:

With Jeff Bezos and Bill Gates, they built their businesses from the ground up. A lot of actors and actresses started with nothing and pounded the pavement to get employed - Jim Carey was homeless and lived in a van before he earned his millions. And you might consider acting a superfluous job but majority of those people put in 12-18 hour days for months at a time. The BRF puts in 12 hours maybe in a week - I don’t think they can be compared. 

Absolutely. You may not like CEOs like Bezos, but they worked hard for decades to build businesses. The royal family did nothing to earn their wealth, other than exploit others.

And it's indisputable that they live lazy, entitled lives. Multiple reports say that most royals don't even get up till 11.

On top of that, they make up stories to imply they are hard-working. For example, they pretended that during WW2, Elizabeth was a mechanic in the military. Nothing could be further from the truth. She took a course in mechanics at the very end of the war, when everyone was surrendering. And, again, she was picked up at the palace at 11 to be driven to the base. Because royals don't get up early.

They routinely receive privileges over others throughout their lives, like Anne receiving the only en suite bedroom when she was at boarding school. They go through life expecting the best of everything to be handed to them without earning it. No wonder there have been so many scandals, that's not how you build good character!

• Downvote 1
  • Bless Your Heart 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, treehugger said:

I didn't say actors didn't work.  I said in the grand scheme of things, it is as much a superfluous job as being working royalty.  As in, neither job is actually necessary. But the actually necessary jobs never pay as much.  People working actually necessary jobs (like plumbers and farmers and healthcare workers) don't make millions and millions of dollars doing what they do.  

Successful actors have beaten the odds, due to their own talent, good looks and luck. Usually they pounded the pavement for years before achieving success. They study acting, practice, learn the language of the business. Certainly, they are overpaid, but most of them have skills and talent that allowed them to rise in an extremely competitive field.

Royals do none of that, and don't have to display any talent or discipline to get what they want. They may have talent or discipline, but they dont' need to have it.

• Move Along 1
  • Downvote 2

1 hour ago, prayawaythefundie said:

They are all very rich people. They all live of inherited wealth that was once „gathered“ (for lack of a better word) violently against human rights. They are so very much the same. The only difference is that the BRF still receives formal payment from the public and shuts up while Harry & Meghan take everyone‘s money (paid voluntarily via Netflix of Spotify) simply for complaining for the eleventieth time about how hard their royal life was. How can anyone make them out to be so different?

1 hour ago, treehugger said:

Voluntarily is key. No one is making you pay for Spotify or Netflix. The govt makes British citizens support the royals.

The British media has written over 300,000 stories about Meghan and Harry. They share their own story 3 times, and that's too many!  

If they are complaining a lot--that's good! It's the only way things will change.

• Downvote 2

14 hours ago, viii said:

Almost everyone on this board would welcome an intelligent discussion about such things. If the troll would move on, we could have discussions about this issues.

Ridiculous arguments has forced many anti-monarchist to defend them. 

Alternative facts do not equal valid points. 

Edited by Ali
  • Upvote 13

14 hours ago, treehugger said:

Modern capitalism is hugely problematic but it is not colonialism. 

Both wrong but in different ways.

• Upvote 3

I get what you are saying about it not being exactly the same, and yet the similarities are there.  The Royal family got extremely wealthy via colonialism by colonizing vast parts of the world and exploiting their resources and impoverishing their people.  Modern capitalism no longer physically colonizes areas by exporting people to them, but it sure as hell uses extractive colonialism, in that it drains wealth away from vast parts of the world to enrich the already wealthy, leaving the people impoverished and without any real power.  Businesses in the United States did it in Latin America in my lifetime, exerting an incredible amount of political pressure to run Indigenous Guatemalans off their land for the banana plantations, and it continues around the world to this day.  

Edited by treehugger
  • Upvote 1
  • I Agree 4

Capitalism as it is lived right now most definitely builds on keeping the already poor countries always poorer than the richer ones. It needs this decline. I think we all should be aware that our new iPhone (or any mobile device really) is build on the back of children that often enough live in almost slavery like conditions. Those rare earths and other parts done extract themselves from trash. Our western lifestyle thrives on the back of others and our countries (some more than others) are protecting it by manipulating the fate of others. Just look at the pandemic. The smart thing would have been to set up a massive vaccination Programm in countries with no social security, bad medical care, poor families that rely on people going to work sick and family members taking care of elders, vulnerable abf children as well as crammed living situations with no chance of quarantine. That would have probably meant the western world would have had to wait. I don’t know any person who was willing to make financial  losses and sit at home so their vaccine goes somewhere else (me included). We basically are the RF ourselves in many ways. Everyone born here is incredibly privileged just by luck and without anymore right to it than anyone elsewhere. Still don’t see anyone getting lower than the standard they feel entitled to in order to help others. It’s always easy to call for action and gestures if it’s not you 🤷‍♀️

Not saying the RF is without problem. They have tons. But the standard some are putting here- I don’t see how most individuals or families would follow suit.

• Upvote 4

44 minutes ago, treehugger said:

I get what you are saying about it not being exactly the same, and yet the similarities are there.  The Royal family got extremely wealthy via colonialism by colonizing vast parts of the world and exploiting their resources and impoverishing their people.  Modern capitalism no longer physically colonizes areas by exporting people to them, but it sure as hell uses extractive colonialism, in that it drains wealth away from vast parts of the world to enrich the already wealthy, leaving the people impoverished and without any real power.  Businesses in the United States did it in Latin America in my lifetime, exerting an incredible amount of political pressure to run Indigenous Guatemalans off their land for the banana plantations, and it continues around the world to this day.  

They are similar in being exploitative, yes. 

But colonialism went beyond in terms of political control and violence and racism. The political instability left behind cut across all levels of society. 

Capitalism seeks profit and that leads to exploitation of people and the environment without strong oversight. Colonialism seeks economic and political control and essentially dominance over all aspects of society (linguistic, educational, cultural). 

8 minutes ago, just_ordinary said:

Capitalism as it is lived right now most definitely builds on keeping the already poor countries always poorer than the richer ones. It needs this decline. I think we all should be aware that our new iPhone (or any mobile device really) is build on the back of children that often enough live in almost slavery like conditions. Those rare earths and other parts done extract themselves from trash. Our western lifestyle thrives on the back of others and our countries (some more than others) are protecting it by manipulating the fate of others. Just look at the pandemic. The smart thing would have been to set up a massive vaccination Programm in countries with no social security, bad medical care, poor families that rely on people going to work sick and family members taking care of elders, vulnerable abf children as well as crammed living situations with no chance of quarantine. That would have probably meant the western world would have had to wait. I don’t know any person who was willing to make financial  losses and sit at home so their vaccine goes somewhere else (me included). We basically are the RF ourselves in many ways. Everyone born here is incredibly privileged just by luck and without anymore right to it than anyone elsewhere. Still don’t see anyone getting lower than the standard they feel entitled to in order to help others. It’s always easy to call for action and gestures if it’s not you 🤷‍♀️

Not saying the RF is without problem. They have tons. But the standard some are putting here- I don’t see how most individuals or families would follow suit.

How would you know this? 

The argument that we are all like the BRF is very similar to the sin flattening that happens in fundie world. We may share similar behaviors. But the impact of the BRF is far more extensive.

• Upvote 1

• samurai_sarah locked, unlocked and locked this topic