IGNORED

William & Kate 2

Coconut Flan
Destiny
Message added by Destiny,

If you want to discuss downvotes and the use thereof, take it to CD please.

On 12/27/2022 at 6:41 AM, just_ordinary said:

I think most churches refrain from heating to save on the energy bill this winter. I find old churches are pretty cold in winter in the UK and on the continent. Not much difference to be honest. While most people have been wearing their coat in church this winter, that’s actually not that unusual. Most churches don’t heat a lot anyway, if they even have heating and definitely not in summer when those churches are still much cooler if not chilly compared to the outside. 
Some parishes offer blankets to put on your legs and put an extra cushion on the pews. Or people bring them themselves.
I think that will be most definitely true for SMM. If they didn’t choose to, the BRF was most definitely not freezing.

I don't think you can heat one of these old churches decently anyway. When I think about the historic churches in my hometown, there are at least 10 m between the floor and the ceiling and heat rises up. Even without the energy crisis you would need to start to heat up a church like Westminster Abbey days or even weeks in advance to get the temps in there over anything chilly. That would be a major waste for a short church service or concert.

• I Agree 1

@klein_roeschen

Oh there are ways. You wouldn’t try to heat up the whole building to 18*C but rather create a few warm spots where the crowds are. . Many have heating under the pews, some have a few holes in the floor for very warm air. Under pew heating is actually very effective. Especially if you sit in a crowd.
I am pretty sue there have been modernisations as in many old churches. 
Sitting in a bigger crowd will also to a cow stable effect (don’t know the correct English word for it).

Edited by just_ordinary
  • Upvote 2
  • Thank You 2

Apparently, it was so cold outside the church, that a woman told Prince Andrew that her feet were "freezing." Prince Andrew suggested that she stand on a newspaper to keep her feet warm (??)

So it was a pretty cold day.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-11575601/Prince-Andrew-tells-freezing-royal-fan-Sandringham-crowd-Video.html

The odd thing is, shorts aren't a requirement for little royal boys. George wore long pants at age 6, when he made his debut walk on Xmas day. So why not do the same for Louis?

417351082_georgeshorts.thumb.webp.06af0e11ebc1ab5c06d141c0567ec8ff.webp

• Upvote 1
  • Move Along 3

2 hours ago, just_ordinary said:

Oh there are ways. You wouldn’t try to heat up the whole building to 18*C but rather create a few warm spots where the crowds are. . Many have heating under the pews, some have a few holes in the floor for very warm air. Under pew heating is actually very effective. Especially if you sit in a crowd.

This is a very historic building from the 16th century. Most likely, there are limits to how much renovation can be done. 

They can be almost impossible to heat properly, with cold stone walls and floors. Lofty ceilings mean that warmth rises pointlessly into the empty rafters. To make matters worse, listed buildings can’t be tinkered with. In some cases it might be possible to insulate them, but many historic churches have historical significance and the heritage guidelines insist on ‘minimal intervention’. As things stand, the challenge of heating churches is a real obstacle to sustainability, and a challenge to the Church of England’s plans to reduce its carbon footprint by 80% by 2050.

https://earthbound.report/2018/10/12/the-challenge-of-heating-historic-church-buildings/

Edited by Jackie3
  • Move Along 2

According to the media,  Kate Middleton worked 11 days last year, During these 11 days, she had 90 engagements (a zoom call counted as an engagement). 

Yet she asked the state to buy her 170,000 pounds worth of NEW clothing. For 11 days of work.

They are worth 1 billion dollars. Why don't they pay for their own clothes.

Four million children in the UK live in poverty.

Edited by Jackie3
  • Upvote 1
  • Move Along 2
  • Fuck You 1
  • Downvote 3

16 hours ago, Jackie3 said:

According to the media,  Kate Middleton worked 11 days last year, During these 11 days, she had 90 engagements (a zoom call counted as an engagement). 

Quick research would show you that with a Carribean tour of 8 days and the Platinum Jubilee celebrations of 4 days that number cannot be correct. And I have seen photos of her working on quite a few more than those 12 (!) days. Not counting phone calls, meetings or desk work.

Say Kate doesn‘t work enough but don‘t make up fake numbers.

ETA: And her last name changed 11 years ago…

Edited by prayawaythefundie
  • Upvote 5
  • Thank You 1
  • Love 6

They are worth 1 billion dollars. Why don't they pay for their own clothes.

Four million children in the UK live in poverty.

That 1 billion includes the Duchy of Cornwall. Kate‘s wardrobe is funded out of the Duchy‘s income. She does not send extra fashion bills to „the state“.

Say she spends too much on fashion but don‘t make up alternative facts about funding.

• Upvote 2
  • Love 5

32 minutes ago, prayawaythefundie said:

That 1 billion includes the Duchy of Cornwall. Kate‘s wardrobe is funded out of the Duchy‘s income. She does not send extra fashion bills to „the state“.

Say she spends too much on fashion but don‘t make up alternative facts about funding.

Let's sing another chorus.  

Before September Charles funded the wardrobe from his income.

• Upvote 5
  • Love 2

3 hours ago, prayawaythefundie said:

Quick research would show you that with a Carribean tour of 8 days and the Platinum Jubilee celebrations of 4 days that number cannot be correct.

Sitting in a chair watching the Julibee is not "work." What was she doing in that chair that was work? Is sitting down now considered "work" by the royals? The bar keeps getting lower.

Does she really expect to be paid for honoring the Queen?

Edited by Jackie3
  • Upvote 1
  • Move Along 2
  • Fuck You 4
  • Disgust 1

The Royals all receive a substantial sum from the Sovereign Grant.

Plus, every time they go abroad, they receive a large dress allowance from the Foreign Office. Everyone who travels with them gets new clothes, too.

Edited by Jackie3
  • Move Along 3
  • Fuck You 2

6 hours ago, Coconut Flan said:

Let's sing another chorus.  

Before September Charles funded the wardrobe from his income.

Yes, the Duchy of Cornwall was his before september. So it hasn‘t changed that much but the DoC is now William‘s which makes me think he pays for Kate‘s wardrobe now.

Before becoming the Prince of Wales, William also did not have direct access to the Sovereign Grant. As far as I know, Charles did and he was basically W&K‘s employer.

3 hours ago, Jackie3 said:

Sitting in a chair watching the Julibee is not "work." What was she doing in that chair that was work? Is sitting down now considered "work" by the royals? The bar keeps getting lower.

Does she really expect to be paid for honoring the Queen?

That‘s a completely different point though. Whether you appreciate her work or not does not affect her number of working days. Feel the need to quote myself here: Say Kate doesn‘t work enough but don‘t make up fake numbers. 

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 4

3 hours ago, prayawaythefundie said:

That‘s a completely different point though. Whether you appreciate her work or not does not affect her number of working days.

Not at all. I'm saying the four days of the Jubilee weren't counted because, um, they were a jubilee. A celebration. No one is counting them as work, so the 11 days stands.

Kate's attendance at a "jubilee" is not work, nor is going to her own birthday party.

The things the royals consider work is really funny.

• Upvote 1
  • Move Along 1
  • Fuck You 1
  • Downvote 1

Once again, the royals are relatable!  I spend most of my workdays sitting in a chair as well.

Happy new year!

• Haha 17

35 minutes ago, AmazonGrace said:

Once again, the royals are relatable!  I spend most of my workdays sitting in a chair as well.

Happy new year!

Zoom calls count as work for me, too.

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 5

50 minutes ago, AmazonGrace said:

As do I.  The zoom calls I'm on almost daily are most certainly work.  Going to selected celebrations and events is part of my work, too.  I have to represent where I work and being seen at events is part of it.  Why shouldn't the government pay for wardrobe when they force people to go take a trip to represent them and these are things they normally wouldn't buy?  You may be surprised, but I get a wardrobe allowance because of the events I have to attend.  Again, I normally would not be buying this kind of clothing.  

• Upvote 14

9 hours ago, Jackie3 said:

Not at all. I'm saying the four days of the Jubilee weren't counted because, um, they were a jubilee. A celebration. No one is counting them as work, so the 11 days stands.

Kate's attendance at a "jubilee" is not work, nor is going to her own birthday party.

The things the royals consider work is really funny.

The 11 days wouldn‘t even be correct without the jubilee. Just from the top of my head this year:

Denmark visit, various sports events (rugby, sailing, tennis), state banquet, carol concert, Remembersnce Sunday and several singular engagements I don‘t remember the details of right now.

The thing is, you don‘t consider representation at events work. That‘s fine but there are many people beyond the royals who do that as part of their job. Not all of them are as well-paid, of course.

I think there are parts of Kate‘s job discription that are a lot weirder. Being wife and mother to a future king seems to be considered a big part of her task. Support the monarch and the heirs in everything. Basically being an appendage to more or less important men. That‘s archaic and it can rightfully be criticized. However, Kate hasn‘t invented it. That‘s the system. Yes, she has accepted it by marrying in, absolutely knowing her part. You seem to hate her because she is doing what is expected of her.

• Upvote 17
  • Love 2

6 hours ago, AmazonGrace said:

Happy new year!

That's not work. We've been informed. Your employers need to stop paying you immediately. When I sub for HS, I barely do anything most of the time (at least at the high school with strong behavior expectations). Take attendance and read instructions. Then sit and watch the kids work for 85 minutes until the next class. I guess I shouldn't be paid for those days. I'll get right on that. Do I need work clothes for those days?  Does AmazonGrace need work clothes at all? Does anyone with a desk job? Please enlighten us. 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 9

I am the employer and I sit in a chair.  And I pay several other people to sit in chairs, too.  Maybe I need to change things up, but then I don't think those people would come sit in the chairs that I need them to sit in.

• Upvote 9

Perhaps I missed this so forgive me. But at most of these meet and great events Catherine talks and interacts. I’m pretty sure she doesn’t show up with a dumb grin and make a fool of herself with obvious questions. There’s prep work that goes into knowing people’s names, what work they’ve put into certain causes.. I would guess she puts in a good bit of time “studying.”

• Upvote 12

9 hours ago, Manda said:

Going to selected celebrations and events is part of my work, too.  I have to represent where I work and being seen at events is part of it. 

How funny that you think your celebrations are similar to Kate's! Or your meetings, for that matter! LOL!!

Kate sat in the front row of the Jubilee and watched parades and performances. She had staff nearby to help her with the kids, and it's been confirmed that food and drink were available. She was driven there in a fancy car. Every door was opened for her. Nothing like your experience, I am sure.

Same with her zoom meetings. She wasn't  arranging for a faster shipment of copy paper, or compiling a schedule of next week's shifts, or re-structuring a company's health insurance. She was saying, "How very lovely. I hope you enjoy your new leisure center. You must be very proud of it." 

I understand you both were on zoom. But that doesn't mean you both were working.  Being on zoom does not automatically = work.

If Kate was actually working --instead of sitting on her butt--then she certainly should have been paid and reimbursed for her wardrobe. But in the photos I've seen of the Jubilee she was sitting and smiling. No matter how low you set the bar, sitting and smiling is not work. It's certainly not work worth millions of dollars.

Edited by Jackie3
  • Move Along 1
  • Fuck You 1
  • Downvote 1
  • Eyeroll 2

6 hours ago, Sweetpickle said:

Perhaps I missed this so forgive me. But at most of these meet and great events Catherine talks and interacts. I’m pretty sure she doesn’t show up with a dumb grin and make a fool of herself with obvious questions. There’s prep work that goes into knowing people’s names, what work they’ve put into certain causes.. I would guess she puts in a good bit of time “studying.”

Yes and that has been pointed out but a certain someone thinks that‘s still not work because she will have staff helping her learn about the organisations she is going to visit. 

Happy New Year everyone! 🎆🎊🎈🍀

• Upvote 4
  • Thank You 2

14 hours ago, Jackie3 said:

How funny that you think your celebrations are similar to Kate's! Or your meetings, for that matter! LOL!!

Kate sat in the front row of the Jubilee and watched parades and performances. She had staff nearby to help her with the kids, and it's been confirmed that food and drink were available. She was driven there in a fancy car. Every door was opened for her. Nothing like your experience, I am sure.

Same with her zoom meetings. She wasn't  arranging for a faster shipment of copy paper, or compiling a schedule of next week's shifts, or re-structuring a company's health insurance. She was saying, "How very lovely. I hope you enjoy your new leisure center. You must be very proud of it." 

I understand you both were on zoom. But that doesn't mean you both were working.  Being on zoom does not automatically = work.

If Kate was actually working --instead of sitting on her butt--then she certainly should have been paid and reimbursed for her wardrobe. But in the photos I've seen of the Jubilee she was sitting and smiling. No matter how low you set the bar, sitting and smiling is not work. It's certainly not work worth millions of dollars.

You are so … stupid. You just troll for the sake of trolling and keep trying to put your idea of work from your perspective on these people. It is bizarre how much energy you waste on these equally bizarre comparisons. Okay, so you don’t like the idea of the British royal family and you don’t consider what they do as work. But really your opinion means nothing and it is nothing more than your opinion - it is not a truth. Fact is that you are not British and this really isn’t your circus. I really doubt you and your hideously unpleasant personality could manage to last 5 minutes doing what these people do all day. It does not change  a thing to argue with you because you are not thoughtful or able to think critically or see beyond your own narrow opinion of the world. You are like this in every topic on which you post. How miserable it must be to be you.

Oh and I do events for work too. And some of them have people very similar to the type Kate meets but American- I have even had events  with presidents and governors and senators and Supreme Court justices. It is a lot of work. 

Edited by nelliebelle1197
  • Upvote 12
  • I Agree 1
  • Thank You 3

14 hours ago, Jackie3 said:

You're clairvoyant now as well?  You have zero idea who I am or what I do in life.

Stupid is as stupid does.

• Upvote 5

7 minutes ago, Manda said:

You're clairvoyant now as well?  You have zero idea who I am or what I do in life.

Stupid is as stupid does.

Yep. Couldn’t have said it better myself.

• Upvote 1
  • Love 1

• samurai_sarah locked, unlocked and locked this topic