IGNORED

The Queen/Prince Philip

viii

Harry hasn’t said anything publicly about military uniform so I don’t know why he keeps getting dragged into Andrews whiny mess. Harry may have had some honorary medals stripped but he actually served in the military and did tours. Wouldn’t he have some sort of uniform he could wear? I don’t know how their system works. 

• Upvote 8
  • I Agree 1

5 hours ago, QuiverFullofBooks said:

It’s pretty much an open acknowledgment that Penny Romsey was his mistress (she’s listed as “Countess Mountbatten of Burma,” which is technically correct and also very easy to confuse with her late mother-in-law, who was Philip’s first cousin). Her husband is not invited, probably to his relief.

Wow...I had never heard of that/her before. Has she been in the picture long?

• Upvote 4

2 hours ago, DalmatianCat said:

Wow...I had never heard of that/her before. Has she been in the picture long?

Apparently they have known each other since the 1970s. She was/is married to a relative of Philip's, but the marriage has been broken down since at the latest 2010 when her husband took off to the Bahamas with another woman for a few years.

I do think that there was more between Philip and her than some kind of paternal bond, but there isn't much known about it publicly, and I don't want to speculate because it's such a private matter. 

• Upvote 3

This may have already been discussed, but I just read that is is protocol for the eldest grandson/child to walk in the middle.  I am afraid I have read too many publications.

• Upvote 1
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Haha 1
  • Thank You 1
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, SoSoNosy said:

This may have already been discussed, but I just read that is is protocol for the eldest grandson/child to walk in the middle.  I am afraid I have read too many publications.

This drama is the only thing giving me life right now & not thinking about infertility. Sorry royals. Your tea is getting me through my days.

• Love 13

It's really messed up that Andrew is trying to use this as a way to weasel his way back into being a working royal. He is either delusional or a sociopath, or maybe both. 

• Upvote 1
  • I Agree 12

1 hour ago, anjulibai said:

It's really messed up that Andrew is trying to use this as a way to weasel his way back into being a working royal. He is either delusional or a sociopath, or maybe both. 

Andrew certainly would be the first messed up person in the history of the royal family.  By some accounts Henry VIII would be classed as a psychopath today.  The Queen and her family aren't direct descendants of Henry VIII but his sister.   Henry VI and George III are some of the others that come to mind.

• Upvote 2

image.thumb.jpeg.76efb5f2d56e086620ef843c2e8928c8.jpegThis is from Diana’s procession, her sons are flanked by their father and grandfather with their Uncle, Diana’s brother, in the middle. Note they are all wearing suits even though Charles and Philip could have worn uniforms. There appears to be no ranking of who walked where and nobody wore uniforms which suggests to me that the tabloids are just making up drama as click bait. After all, drama in the RF, real or invented adds ££ to tabloid coffers.

Here’s a link to photos of other British Royal funerals. https://www.wonderwall.com/celebrity/royal-funerals-through-the-decades-photos-princess-diana-margaret-queen-elizabeth-queen-mother-king-george-prince-philip-monarchs-more-445035.gallery
It appears that in some, such as the Queen mother’s state funeral, uniforms are worn, in other’s such as Princess Margaret’s they are not.

Edited by sndral
Add link.
  • Upvote 3
  • Thank You 4

100% the queen is making decisions to lessen drama so that we can all focus on Philip.

I, also, 100% think I will cry when I see my girl E for the first time in public tomorrow mourn her husband. Y'all I'm just too invested at this point.

• Love 4

8 minutes ago, kachuu said:

100% the queen is making decisions to lessen drama so that we can all focus on Philip.

I, also, 100% think I will cry when I see my girl E for the first time in public tomorrow mourn her husband. Y'all I'm just too invested at this point.

I agree - the mourning clothes was definitely not only to shut Andrew up, but to make it less awkward for Harry. 

I think the Queen will thankfully be stiff upper lip and emotionless, which is good because I'm not sure I could handle seeing her cry. I didn't care much for Philip, but I've got such a soft spot for Lizzie. ?

• Upvote 5

10 hours ago, kachuu said:

It's sad that an adult male & adult female can't be friends without rumors of infidelity happening.

Of course men and women can be friends. Philip had platonic women friends. This is a woman who he’s been photographed with regularly for decades, and the media quietly noted that she turned up rather a lot when Philip was living alone at Wood Farm between his retirement and the pandemic. She’s not known to be in another relationship (not counting her estranged husband). And she’s literally the only friend invited to his funeral. Connect the dots.

• Upvote 2

I bawled when I saw the hand signed card from Lilibet on the Queen Mother’s coffin, so I have no doubt that the smallest touch will set me off later today. 

• Upvote 3
  • Sad 2

Some people are musing it would be fitting and poignant for Lady Louise to drive  the Pony and carriage since they were so close and he taught her to share his love of Cart racing. It won’t happen but it’s a nice thought.  I like to think she will inherit his ponies and other paraphernalia though. 

• Upvote 2
  • Love 2

Death often brings people together so as difficult as it may be, I hope Harry and Williams relationship is able to begin to heal as they grieve together. I am sure they are having flashback memories of their mothers funeral. 

• Upvote 4

Watching now. Seeing the Queen alone made me sad.  Maybe it's because my own parents are old that it's hitting me hard. The Princess Royal and Prince Charles look to be fighting back tears. I think the suits look better on all the men anyway. I'm glad the cameras aren't lingering on the third oldest child. Gosh the chapel is beautiful. 

Edited by WiseGirl
Add text
  • Upvote 7

17 minutes ago, WiseGirl said:

Watching now. Seeing the Queen alone made me sad.  Maybe it's because my own parents are old that it's hitting me hard. The Princess Royal and Prince Charles look to be fighting back tears. I think the suits look better on all the men anyway. I'm glad the cameras aren't lingering on the third oldest child. Gosh the chapel is beautiful. 

The chapel is stunning. I visited England for the first time almost 40 years ago and St George's Chapel was probably my favorite place. I wish I could go back again, but that will likely never happen.

I'm sort of appalled that the Queen is sitting alone. One would think Charles and Camilla could have sat by her at least. But I'm wondering if possibly she preferred to be alone. ?

I kind of lost it early on when the band played 'Jerusalem.' Something about that song gets me more than any patriotic American song. And then things got worse when the choir sang Eternal Father, Strong To Save. My family has huge ties to the US Navy, and I get choked up every time I hear that hymn.

• Upvote 2

I felt bad for the Queen having to be alone and having to say goodbye in public like that. I don’t know if it was deliberate positioning of the cameras or if she had her head bowed but her face wasn’t visible on TV during the service which is something. 

I expect she was sitting alone because there’s no one else there in her bubble. 

I saw William, Catherine and Harry walking together away from the chapel which was nice.

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 2

Lovely service. The pandemic probably freed them to make it more private and personal than it would have been. One BEC note: Anne’s older-lady-at-a-funeral outfit looked odd with her numerous military medals. Looking forward to seeing what the royal jewelry nerd blogs have to say about what was worn.

• Upvote 2

It was a very nice service. I'm surprised that no one in the family gave a eulogy, but obviously Philip must not have wanted that.

Charles looked like he's definitely been crying a lot lately. He was very red, both in face and eye. 

Who was it that drove with the Queen? Was that Princess Alexandra? The only person I could think it could be was Penny Knatchbull, but I doubt that. 

I'm glad that Harry was talking to William and Kate. 

• Upvote 5

• Coconut Flan changed the title to The Queen/Prince Philip
  • samurai_sarah locked and unlocked this topic