IGNORED

The Queen/Prince Philip

viii

Have you seen photos of young Phillip? The man was fine! Her parents or really her mother thought a  poor Exiled  relation from a broken family with basically only a suitcase was not fitting at all and had a maybe a Scottish aristocrat in mind. The fact his sisters were married to top Nazi officials could not have helped either.  But her mind was set though she agreed to wait because they thought she was too young in any case.

• Upvote 4
  • Thank You 1
  • Love 1

Yeah, Philip was super problematic as a match for her, but she certainly knew her own mind and refused to budge. Young Philip was quite the dish, though. I think she met him at 13 and then began exchanging letters with him and was wed at 18. 

• Upvote 9
  • Love 1

Wow @viii and @tabitha2 something we can all agree on...young Phillip was certainly easy on the eyes!

I have always seen a strong resemblance between the Queen and Charles, but I see Phillip in Charles as well in certain pics.  I see a lot of Phillip in Will, although he's not as good looking as his grandpa.  

Andrew is the one I don't think resembles the rest of the family (and no, I am not castling any aspersions on his parentage) and frankly back in the day before I knew what he was I thought young Andrew was very good looking.  He seemed fun and I thought Fergie got the better deal....goes to show looks aren't everything.  

Genetics and traits fascinate me whether it's royalty or these fundy mega families.  

• Upvote 8
  • Love 1

Andrew looks like the Queen to me. 

Harry looks a lot like Phillip. There picture of Phillip with a beard from his trip to Australia back in the 50s, and the resemblance is really striking. 

• Upvote 10
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 2

That’s because Andrew and his daughters inherited the majority of the German Hanoverian Genes with the round faced pop eyed look instead of the Scottish/English Looks. If look at at Beatrice and a painting of Young Victoria the resemblance is eerie 

• Upvote 4
  • Love 2

2 minutes ago, anjulibai said:

Andrew looks like the Queen to me. 

Harry looks a lot like Phillip. There picture of Phillip with a beard from his trip to Australia back in the 50s, and the resemblance is really striking. 

I just looked it up and if you're talking about the one from 1957 you're right!  The resemblance is striking.  

14 minutes ago, tabitha2 said:

That’s because Andrew and his daughters inherited the majority of the German Hanoverian Genes with the round faced pop eyed look instead of the Scottish/English Looks. If look at at Beatrice and a painting of Young Victoria the resemblance is eerie 

You are right - the resemblance is strong with those two.  We call those doe eyes and they run strong in my family.  I had no idea it was a German trait...TiL

• Upvote 7
  • Love 2

I understand There were plenty of people back in the day who thought Andrew and Diana would have made the better match personality wise.

• Upvote 1
  • Love 1

15 hours ago, tabitha2 said:

Well, Philip is much more German than the Queen. The majority of his ancestors, even the "princes of Denmark and Greece" and the Romanov relations, were essentially German aristocrats. So anyone who inherited a resemblance to Philip looks more German than Scottish/English. It's funny, in a way, because the world considers Philip one of the most quintessentially English people imaginable. Serves to show how immigrants can adapt and become more local than the locals. ;)

Isn't the only actually English/Scottish contribution to the genetic makeup of the current BRF the late Queen Mother?

Edited to add: And of course the most recent spouses such as Diana, Fergie, Sophie, Tony Armstrong-Jones, Kate, etc.

Edited by SweetJuly
considering the younger generations
  • Upvote 9
  • Love 1

To be fair, Philip was mostly raised in Britain, by family who were born and raised in Britain. His mother was born and raised in Britain. It's not like he was an immigrant with no connection to the country before moving there. It just seems odd to me to characterize him as a foreigner when he didn't really live elsewhere for the majority of his life, and honestly had no say it anyways. 

It kind of reminds me of immigrant kids in the US today that were born abroad but taken to the US as infants or very young children, and have never known anything else. Personally, and in large part because I've known a few, I don't see them as anything but Americans. 

• Upvote 9
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, anjulibai said:

To be fair, Philip was mostly raised in Britain, by family who were born and raised in Britain. His mother was born and raised in Britain. It's not like he was an immigrant with no connection to the country before moving there. It just seems odd to me to characterize him as a foreigner when he didn't really live elsewhere for the majority of his life, and honestly had no say it anyways. 

It kind of reminds me of immigrant kids in the US today that were born abroad but taken to the US as infants or very young children, and have never known anything else. Personally, and in large part because I've known a few, I don't see them as anything but Americans. 

I agree with you, but in this context I thought we were just discussing physical traits.  My dad immigrated here as from Germany as a kid and I was raised here, both American as the day is long so I agree....Phillip is as British as they come.  

• Upvote 4

Yes. They are very much British but The York family and also some of the other distant cousins got those genes and features you might see in  the Hanoverians who Came over from Germany  to snatch the throne  in the 18th century. Genetics are funny and fascinating:) 

• I Agree 1
  • Love 1

On 3/17/2021 at 12:10 PM, HerNameIsBuffy said:

Wow @viii and @tabitha2 something we can all agree on...young Phillip was certainly easy on the eyes!

I have always seen a strong resemblance between the Queen and Charles, but I see Phillip in Charles as well in certain pics.  I see a lot of Phillip in Will, although he's not as good looking as his grandpa.  

Andrew is the one I don't think resembles the rest of the family (and no, I am not castling any aspersions on his parentage) and frankly back in the day before I knew what he was I thought young Andrew was very good looking.  He seemed fun and I thought Fergie got the better deal....goes to show looks aren't everything.  

Genetics and traits fascinate me whether it's royalty or these fundy mega families.  

Young Phillip was certainly hot! I think Harry resembles Phillip. 

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 2
  • Love 1

It’s funny. Phillip was hot and Elizabeth was very pretty if not beautiful but none of their kids had more than passing good looks. I think Charles has improved with age though.

• Upvote 5
  • Love 1

1 minute ago, tabitha2 said:

It’s funny. Phillip was hot and Elizabeth was very pretty if not beautiful but none of their kids had more than passing good looks. I think Charles has improved with age though.

As we're just talking looks and not character, I think Andrew was extremely handsome..  Hot even.  I don't think he's a bad looking man now, but I know far too much about him to ever think he's sexy again.

I think Princess Anne had a unique beauty about her when she was young.  She's one of the few people who looks far more beautiful when not smiling, IMO.  I think for her it really depends on the angle as well.

https://theroyalsource.blogspot.com/2013/08/the-old-photo-anne-princess-royal.html

• Upvote 10
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 1

See, I never thought Andrew was all that good looking even when young though I think like his older brother he has aged better. He bears a resemblance  to a very mean person was not very nice to me when I was child so that’s probably it .

Poor Edward. No one has ever said he was good looking that I recall!

• Upvote 3
  • Love 1

All the Windsors start out good looking in their teens and early twenties but it fades quickly. They're really quite the unattractive family. 

• Upvote 7
  • Love 1

8 minutes ago, viii said:

All the Windsors start out good looking in their teens and early twenties but it fades quickly. 

Not Edward.  :) 

13 minutes ago, tabitha2 said:

See, I never thought Andrew was all that good looking even when young though I think like his older brother he has aged better. He bears a resemblance  to a very mean person was not very nice to me when I was child so that’s probably it .

Poor Edward. No one has ever said he was good looking that I recall!

Yeah, when someone reminds us of someone unpleasant it's hard to find them attractive.  In the 80's jerks with feathered hair, big gleaming smiles, and a charming way about them were definitely my type.  

I was watching a video about Charles the other day and he was better looking as a young man than I'd remembered  He had an awkwardness about him that I would have registered as unattractive when I was a kid, but in certain pics he wasn't bad looking.  I do think he's aged better than many of his contemporaries, as has Camilla.  

Diana being beautiful and extremely photogenic certainly helped Charles fade into the background visually.  The opposite with Andrew and Fergie as I always thought he far eclipsed her in looks, although I did think she was pretty.  

• Upvote 4
  • Love 1

21 minutes ago, HerNameIsBuffy said:

Not Edward.  :) 

Spoiler

Prince-Edward-83--tatler-16oct15_getty_b

Aw, I didn't think Edward was too bad in his youth. 

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 1
  • Thank You 1
  • Love 2

I always thought finally being happy in his personal life and enjoying a better relationship with his parents has made a difference in his looks. When one is at peace it tends to show in face 

Well.He was until recently I guess. 

• Upvote 3
  • Love 1

I was at an event attended by Prince Phillip about 25 years ago and saw him close up as he came and spoke to my friend next to me. I had never considered him good looking and he would have been in his 70s then but in the flesh he was actually very attractive and had great charisma!

• Upvote 5
  • Thank You 2
  • Love 1

23 minutes ago, tabitha2 said:

I always thought finally being happy in his personal life and enjoying a better relationship with his parents has made a difference in his looks. When one is at peace it tends to show in face 

Well.He was until recently I guess. 

Why isn't Edward at peace?

• Upvote 2
  • Love 1

3 minutes ago, viii said:

I thought she meant Charles?  Being happy within his marriage now as opposed to the past and recently being upset about the Harry stuff?  

16 minutes ago, Teaistheway said:

I was at an event attended by Prince Phillip about 25 years ago and saw him close up as he came and spoke to my friend next to me. I had never considered him good looking and he would have been in his 70s then but in the flesh he was actually very attractive and had great charisma!

Maybe that's why he has his own religious sect - the Prince Phillip Movement.  Which astounds me as much today as when I first learned about it from an Idiot Abroad.  

Charisma I can believe, but that he's a divine being?  Not sure where that came from.  :) 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prince_Philip_Movement#:~:text=The Prince Philip Movement is,II%2C is a divine being.

• Upvote 1
  • WTF 1
  • Thank You 2

9 minutes ago, viii said:

Sorry! I Meant Charles :) 

Edward managed to stay married, Stays off Party boats with pedophiles and does not have his kids up in arms against the whole family like his brothers (yet!)

He wins! 

• Upvote 4
  • Haha 2
  • I Agree 2
  • Love 1

• Coconut Flan changed the title to The Queen/Prince Philip
  • samurai_sarah locked and unlocked this topic