IGNORED

The Queen/Prince Philip

viii

Somebody wrote a romance novel about people who fell in love in the Queue. I wonder if it's going to be a new trope.

• Haha 8

• 4 months later...

I've got something in my eyes this afternoon.

• Upvote 2
  • Thank You 1
  • Love 4

• 3 months later...

I know this was being talked about months ago, but Princess Margaret was cremated rather than buried, but I don’t know if that’s got anything to do with her name not being on the ledger stone with her parents, Elizabeth and Philip or not. Margaret does have her own tombstone though.

8 hours ago, mango_fandango said:

I know this was being talked about months ago, but Princess Margaret was cremated rather than buried, but I don’t know if that’s got anything to do with her name not being on the ledger stone with her parents, Elizabeth and Philip or not. Margaret does have her own tombstone though.

The ledger stone has the Order of the Garter star inset into it, which George VI and Elizabeth II were both the Sovereigns of and the Queen Mother and Prince Philip were both members of. Margaret wasn't a member.

Margaret wrote the prayer that is on her tombstone. I assume she wanted it there, and the only way this could be achieved was by it being on a separate stone.

We thank thee Lord, who by thy spirit doth our faith restore.
When we with worldly things commune & prayerless close our door,
We lose our precious gift divine to worship and adore.
Then thou our Saviour, fill our hearts to love thee evermore.

• Thank You 7

I've read a couple of other explanations including Margaret neither reigned nor was married to the monarch.  

• Upvote 3

7 hours ago, rosamundi said:

The ledger stone has the Order of the Garter star inset into it, which George VI and Elizabeth II were both the Sovereigns of and the Queen Mother and Prince Philip were both members of. Margaret wasn't a member.

Margaret wrote the prayer that is on her tombstone. I assume she wanted it there, and the only way this could be achieved was by it being on a separate stone.

It’s too bad that George VI didn’t make Margaret a member of the Garter. Like Diana and Harry (possibly Andrew too), she would have been less naughty if she had been more appreciated. (Patrick Jephson said that Diana was like a Thoroughbred who could have been kept in the ring with some sugar cubes, but instead jumped the fence and broke her neck.) 

• Upvote 3

I’ve always heard while Elizabeth was bright enough Margaret was very very intelligent and quick witted  but no one one saw the need to educate or encourage her further than expected for  sex and class  so any higher schooling was out of the question. She was never even allowed to sit in on her sisters special preparatory  lessons. So she early learned to get attention and her way by being cute, mischievous, sassy ETC.  

• Upvote 5

39 minutes ago, tabitha2 said:

I’ve always heard while Elizabeth was bright enough Margaret was very very intelligent and quick witted  but no one one saw the need to educate or encourage her further than expected for  sex and class  so any higher schooling was out of the question. She was never even allowed to sit in on her sisters special preparatory  lessons. So she early learned to get attention and her way by being cute, mischievous, sassy ETC.  

I've heard that there was not much emphasis on education for either sister. As small children, they were expected to grow up and marry well. Their parents did not expect them to become solicitors or engineers, but to marry well and . .. do whatever that involves. (How do you spend your day when you are an aristocrat who marries well?) Once Elizabeth was an heir to the throne, there was probably more emphasis on education.

But what in the world would a special preparatory lesson involve? How many of them would she really need? And why was it such a secret that Margaret couldn't sit in? After all, Margaret was pretty high up the LOS at the time, you'd think they'd want her to know these things too.  Espcially after what happened with George VI. Though he did fine without having any prep.

Edited by Jackie3
  • Upvote 1

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Can’t believe it’s been a year already. 
IMG_4882.thumb.jpeg.c88c6ad4e238467fc19eb0ff8c766b31.jpeg

• Upvote 1
  • Sad 1

I always thought her death would have a bigger impact but it really does go to show how the world continues to turn. 

Charles has done a decent job overall, considering how old he is. 

• Upvote 5

Princes Eugenie shared some photos of her and her Granny in remembrance of Elizabeth's passing.

Like her sister Princess Beatrice, Princess Eugenie had a close relationship with her ‘Granny’ growing up and maintained the bond into adulthood. Eugenie, the younger daughter of Prince Andrew and Sarah, Duchess of York, spent many happy summers with the Queen and Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh in Balmoral. Indeed, Eugenie once described the Scottish estate as ‘the most beautiful place on earth’. The princess often joined her grandmother at Royal Ascot and was given her the honour of accompanying Her Majesty to the traditional Maundy Thursday service in 2019. Eugenie also wore one of the Queen’s tiaras for her wedding to Jack Brooksbank.

To mark the anniversary of Queen Elizabeth II’s death, the princess shared a touching photo showing her and her grandmother sitting on a bench outside a log cabin. The Queen is dressed in a yellow blouse, gilet and tartan skirt, suggesting it might have been taken in Scotland. Eugenie is casually attired in jeans, trainers and a black t-shirt. The picture is striking because of how ‘normal’ it is. It is a relaxed image that shows a quiet moment between a grandmother and her granddaughter; the sort of fleeting, everyday experience that becomes so treasured when a loved one passes.

I really liked this one.  Reminds me of so many pictures of my siblings/cousins and our grandparents.

• Upvote 2
  • Thank You 2

7 hours ago, viii said:

I always thought her death would have a bigger impact but it really does go to show how the world continues to turn. 

Charles has done a decent job overall, considering how old he is. 

A decent job doing what? He’s a ceremonial leader. That’s why the Queen’s death had so little impact. Those hospitals CAN open themselves.

Edited by Jackie3

38 minutes ago, marmalade said:

I didn't realize that Fergie got the corgis. 

Her and Andrew bought the dogs for the queen so it only made sense they get them after she passed. 

• Upvote 3

On 8/1/2023 at 1:43 AM, AmazonGrace said:

On the off chance anyone visits the beautiful cemetery in Louisville, Kentucky where Muhammad Ali is interred, there is a gravestone that features 3-D carvings of Corgis, the deceased’s beloved pups. Lovely. 

• Upvote 2
  • Thank You 1

• 4 weeks later...