IGNORED

Seriously Steve 4: Judging and Hating

Coconut Flan

2 hours ago, Red Hair, Black Dress said:

Oh ....... I am soooooooo tempted to do that.

Me too! He's certainly fixated on Harry Potter isn't he? Why not Goosebumps, and Manga?

• Upvote 2

He already knows the answers to those questions.  His son-in law played organized sports, and it seems like he turned out fine.  But he will pick out one answer that he agrees with,  and use that as the talking point at his conference.  

33 minutes ago, anjulibai said:

He really called Harry Potter "Harry P"? FFS. 

Right up there with picnic eggs instead of deviled eggs.  Must be a tiring way to live.  

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 4

I think it must be an exhausting way to live.

To purposely try to sap any joy you might feel out of your day and believe you are honouring God by doing so must make you extremely jumpy if you catch yourself feeling even a tiny bit of happiness.

I wonder how Steve copes with dreams. If he wakes up with memories of happy pleasurable dreams does he feel he has to punish himself even more ?

• Upvote 10

Where is this survey?

EDIT: Found it!

Wow, if that wasn’t on the Titus2 website I’d think it was drawn up by a snarker.

Edited by GreenBeans
  • Upvote 4

Steve is whining about Halloween again, and that one of the grandsons likes a particular flashlight.

• Upvote 6
  • WTF 1

He thinks the flashlight is .... what ... an idol?  Can he get any weirder?  Why yes. Yes. Yes I believe he can.

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 11
  • I Agree 1

When I read this screed this morning all I could think of was Grandpa Simpson standing in the front yard with his Bible on Halloween and saying Be Gone You Fearsome Devils! Be Gone!!!

I don't think that God would be pleased at all with Steve. I can't imagine a God who would think that fun is evil and to be shunned. It's a terrible thing to go through life like that. 

• Upvote 8

3 hours ago, Red Hair, Black Dress said:

He thinks the flashlight is .... what ... an idol?  Can he get any weirder?  Why yes. Yes. Yes I believe he can.

I read it as the flashlight being the beacon of good in Steve's evil world of darkness. 

• Upvote 4

On 10/23/2023 at 8:50 AM, GreenBeans said:

Where is this survey?

EDIT: Found it!

Wow, if that wasn’t on the Titus2 website I’d think it was drawn up by a snarker.

I love how he asks people to respond to the survey but doesn’t have a way for them to actually do so —  I guess he wants folks to email, but doesn’t include an email address? Maybe they’re just supposed to reply if they subscribe to the column via email? Has he never heard of a Google form? 

• Upvote 9

Kids get attached to all sorts of things. Sometimes it’s a particular stuffed toy, sometimes it’s something a little more “unusual” like a torch (which is how Brits refer to a flashlight). It’s totally normal! Only Steve would view it as something abnormal and to be disapproved of.

• I Agree 10

• 4 weeks later...

Steve wants fathers to be fiscally responsible and make sure they have financial security set up for their wives and children in case they leave this mortal coil. 

Not too preachy this time. Just be prepared. 

• Upvote 6

19 hours ago, anniebgood said:

Steve wants fathers to be fiscally responsible and make sure they have financial security set up for their wives and children in case they leave this mortal coil. 

Not too preachy this time. Just be prepared. 

Some decent advice from Steve finally. 

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 1

19 hours ago, kpmom said:

Some decent advice from Steve finally. 

I agree with that 110% but he also expects you to pop out eleventy kids as well which makes it almost impossible..  Unless you're JimBob Duggar who is a crook.

• Upvote 10

• 4 weeks later...

One thing that has always set the maxwells apart from a lot of other fundies is their financial security. I’m sure they were relatively careful with money; however, they were always fairly comfortable. They always were able to purchase expensive technology, their kids had braces, and medical and other needs were always taken care of. Their sons were able to purchase houses to live in. I think this is partly how their “brand” sold so well to others. Families struggling to stay afloat with their many kids looked to them as a picture of not only spiritual but financial success as well. Families thought if they followed the formula the maxwells were selling they too could be successful.

However, the big piece that most of these families were missing was having college educated parents at the head. While Steve and Teri may have abhorred beliefs; they aren’t dumb and they are well educated. This gives them a huge advantage. Steve worked a corporate job for years which earned him a lot money. Also, Teri is actually capable of doing higher level math and English so she could teach her children these skills. Simply being educated gave them a huge advantage when they wanted to learn new skills, such as tech, for themselves. 

so, yes, Steve is giving good advice about leaving your family financial safe. However, what he doesn’t understand is that he had a huge advantage in doing that. And not only is he not advocating any real ways to be financially safe; he has actively preached against college, which is how his family actually became financially secure. Although, his own daughters seemed to see through that one and went after their degrees! 

• Upvote 18
  • I Agree 7
  • Love 2

5 hours ago, Brittany15 said:

I think this is partly how their “brand” sold so well to others. Families struggling to stay afloat with their many kids looked to them as a picture of not only spiritual but financial success as well.

I think they did okay not only because both parents were college educated, but because the children were fairly spread out due to the reversal. They did not have 8 children back to back, but spread out over 20 years, so by the time the last reversals were born, the first kids could already work and contribute to the family budget. I think that really helped financially.

• Upvote 11
  • I Agree 4

28 minutes ago, GreenBeans said:

I think they did okay not only because both parents were college educated, but because the children were fairly spread out due to the reversal. They did not have 8 children back to back, but spread out over 20 years, so by the time the last reversals were born, the first kids could already work and contribute to the family budget. I think that really helped financially.

Teri would have been much worse off if the vasectomy had never happened. And they just had baby after baby. I suppose they would’ve ended up with 11 or 12 kids. And Teri would have been even worse off.

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 10

Oh I'm sure that he does regret it. Considering that he went to the trouble to get it reversed, which I understand is trickier than doing it in the first place. He may not have regretted it at the time because he was probably reasonable enough at the time to see that Terry was struggling with just four. 8 was too much, but like @GreenBeanssaid, they copped because the older kids were capable of caring for the younger ones when Terry clearly couldn't. A dozen would have done terrible terrible things to that family. 

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 8

I also think Steve and Teri did something to space pregnancies in the first years of their marriage. Firstly, they definitely didn’t have a honeymoon baby. They were married 1.5 years before they got pregnant with their first. And then their first 3 were spaced 2.5 years apart. The reversal children were spaced closer together than 2.5 years. If they had started their marriage accepting all the pregnancies, they could have had quite a few kids. Definitely into the double digits. 

• Upvote 11
  • I Agree 1

This latest article shows you how much he does not tolerate children.  I never thought he and his wife were that much into kids.  The part I bolded is just bizarre to me...  If I saw a man with a child carrying a giant raccoon, my first thought was that he was carrying it for the kid.  It wouldn't impress me, nor would it raise any questions, nor would I look at him in any sort of way.  And I certainly would not ask him why he was carrying it.  I wouldn't even give the man a second glance.  He's carrying his kid's toy.  No biggie.  Normal parents do that all the time.  And child training opportunities???  What the heck is up with that?  The kid's lovie is a giant raccoon.  Get over it.  They are only young once and it doesn't last forever.  If you don't feel like lugging it around, say "I'm sorry honey, it's not allowed inside.  We need to leave it in the car."  If you do feel like lugging it around, then do it.  It's nothing to "train the child" over.  

"Recently, while at a Christmas nativity event, I encountered a dad who had a very worn and beloved, 3-foot-tall stuffed play raccoon hanging over his arm. I engaged and found out that it was his young daughter’s beloved companion. She always wanted it with her, and where they went, it went. However, the daughter quickly tired of carrying something almost as big as she was. So she asked her daddy to carry it, and because he loved her, he would. 

I was impressed with his humility. A grown man carrying a child’s giant raccoon would raise many questioning looks from observers. Possibly there were some child training opportunities being missed, but he demonstrated his love for his daughter and benefited in growing his humility in the process. "

• Upvote 7
  • Eyeroll 7
  • WTF 1

Wow. Tell me your masculinity is fragile without saying your masculinity is fragile.

Edited by Giraffe
  • Upvote 7
  • Haha 2
  • I Agree 8

• Coconut Flan locked this topic