IGNORED

Seriously Steve 4: Judging and Hating

Coconut Flan

This week's Seriously, Dad? is called Behold and it's from July 5. 2023. 

First Paragraph:

Consider. Out of legions of angels only two were chosen to roll back the stone from the door of the tomb and have the honor of proclaiming, “He is not here, but is risen,” (Luke 24:6). We are not told their names, but what honor God bestowed on them. 

What is Steve talking about? I didn't remember the detail of two angels rolling back the stone and I can't find in the gospels. In Mark, Luke and John it just says the stone was moved before the women got there. In Matthew an angel descends rolls away the stone. The same angel proclaims he is risen. In Matthew and Mark only one angel is involved. In Luke and John two angels proclaim "He is risen!", but we don't actually see them roll away the stone. 

Second Paragraph:

A mother is the only one given the honor to carry and then birth her child into this world. 

It's both an honor and a burden and the woman should have a say in it.

Dad are you zealous for a similar honor? Sure, you can give life to a child, but in comparison to carrying and birthing, that isn’t much. 

I agree being pregnant is much intensive than providing sperm. Again this is why a woman should have a full say in whether to have children.

However, you could be the one who introduces your child to the Savior—ushering him into eternal life. 

Yes, a man could help teach his kids about Jesus, although many women are the ones who bring up their kids in the faith.

God called/commanded fathers to do that. “And thou shalt teach them diligently unto thy children, and shalt talk of them when thou sittest in thine house, and when thou walkest by the way, and when thou liest down, and when thou risest up” (Deuteronomy 6:7). 

As far as I can tell, it doesn't say men specifically. I suppose men may have owned the house, but maybe the wife also considers it her house. It sounds like parents are suppose to teach their kids, no matter what gender they are.

Third Paragraph:

Are you faithful to that command of proclaiming the Word of life to your children? Daily Bible time is assumed, but additionally, are you sharing your experience in Christ with them? May the honor be yours. Don’t miss out.

Same old, same old. He says this every week. I would be annoyed if the only parenting my partner wanted to do was talk about God. On the other hand, I think it's important to share your values and spend time with your kids. However there's more to fatherhood then being a good Christian, and being a good Christian isn't required. Maybe next time write other things needed to be a father!

• Upvote 4
  • Thank You 3

• 3 weeks later...

Hey we are three weeks behind in posting Steve's drivel!

July 26 2023

FAVORITE 

What is your favorite topic to talk about? What lights you up and grabs your interest most? When around others, what are your go-to topics? Is it politics, work, cars, hobbies (hunting, fishing), or sports? “They are of the world: therefore speak they of the world, and the world heareth them” (1 John 4:5).

A person’s speech reveals the treasure of his heart.

A good man out of the good treasure of his heart bringeth forth that which is good; and an evil man out of the evil treasure of his heart bringeth forth that which is evil: for of the abundance of the heart his mouth speaketh” (Luke 6:45).

The point here is not to be condemning but to stimulate improvement. Examine your heart. Is the Lord and His work in lives (including our own) what most thrills you? If not, something isn’t quite right. Maybe your soul isn’t feeding on the Word daily but on the world’s message. Or might there be hidden sin or unresolved offenses? There should be no more thrilling subject than the Lord Jesus, His Word, and His working in souls. 

May our speech reflect the glory due His Name. May we seek Him, praise Him, and meditate on Him and His goodness. “Glory ye in his holy name: let the heart of them rejoice that seek the LORD” (Psalms 105:3).

• Thank You 8

8 minutes ago, SPHASH said:

What is your favorite topic to talk about? What lights you up and grabs your interest most? When around others, what are your go-to topics?

Steve’s is DEATH, HELL, and where you are going when you die. I bet he gets positively giddy when asking strangers these things. 

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 17

There he goes again mentioning hunting and fishing specifically as hobbies.
Why mention any hobbies at all?  We all know what the word hobby means, we don’t need examples.  
But, he has specifically mentioned hunting and fishing in several of his recent posts. 
Someone is into hunting and fishing and he doesn’t like it for some reason. 
The Men’s Group at his church mentions fishing outings. Is this aimed at them?

Steve’s so weird.

• Upvote 11
  • I Agree 1

10 hours ago, kpmom said:

There he goes again mentioning hunting and fishing specifically as hobbies.
Why mention any hobbies at all?  We all know what the word hobby means, we don’t need examples.  
But, he has specifically mentioned hunting and fishing in several of his recent posts. 
Someone is into hunting and fishing and he doesn’t like it for some reason. 
The Men’s Group at his church mentions fishing outings. Is this aimed at them?

Steve’s so weird.

Are his extremely delicate feelings hurt that the Men’s Group aren’t knocking down his door to sit adoringly at his feet and rapturously absorb his Superior Christian Knowledge™️?
Instead the ungrateful yobs are FISHING!?!11!?!

• Upvote 6
  • Haha 8
  • I Agree 3

The fact that Steve thinks almost every waking moment needs to be spent reading the Bible, praying, preaching to others, etc. boggles the mind. His interpretation of the Bible is strident and sad.   Steve, people need to take a break from overkill Bible reading/ preaching and go to school (to become the doctors that helped you, construction workers, accountants, delivery drivers, teachers, whatever) and have hobbies in their free time  so they lead balanced and happy lives to be better people.  The people in your current church must look at you  with pity.

• Upvote 8
  • I Agree 9

This week's article is up. I'll leave @Bluebirdbluebell to the full breakdown, but the first line caught my eye:

"Our family used to go to Colorado for hiking."

Now, is that past tense because the family by and large grew up, got married, had kids, and started doing their own things, and packing everyone into a cabin in Colorado didn't work anymore, or is it past tense because Steve decided that even taking What Some Might Call A Vacation and going on 3AM death marches was too much like fun?

• Upvote 17

On 7/26/2023 at 1:21 PM, SPHASH said:

Hey we are three weeks behind in posting Steve's drivel!

July 26 2023

FAVORITE 

What is your favorite topic to talk about? What lights you up and grabs your interest most? When around others, what are your go-to topics? Is it politics, work, cars, hobbies (hunting, fishing), or sports? “They are of the world: therefore speak they of the world, and the world heareth them” (1 John 4:5).

A person’s speech reveals the treasure of his heart.

A good man out of the good treasure of his heart bringeth forth that which is good; and an evil man out of the evil treasure of his heart bringeth forth that which is evil: for of the abundance of the heart his mouth speaketh” (Luke 6:45).

The point here is not to be condemning but to stimulate improvement. Examine your heart. Is the Lord and His work in lives (including our own) what most thrills you? If not, something isn’t quite right. Maybe your soul isn’t feeding on the Word daily but on the world’s message. Or might there be hidden sin or unresolved offenses? There should be no more thrilling subject than the Lord Jesus, His Word, and His working in souls. 

May our speech reflect the glory due His Name. May we seek Him, praise Him, and meditate on Him and His goodness. “Glory ye in his holy name: let the heart of them rejoice that seek the LORD” (Psalms 105:3).

Steve's example doesn't make "the Lord and His work" sound thrilling. He deliberately makes an effort to keep his (and his family's) life as boring and awful as possible. Like he personally finds all the religion stuff not THAT thrilling but since he thinks it SHOULD be the most thrilling thing in his life he has to make it that way by dulling down everything else as much as he can manage. 

Steve's hobbies are talking about death, hell, and his balls; rooting out any hint of "fun" he can find in his life; and trying to make everyone around him as miserable as he is.

• Upvote 10
  • Haha 2
  • I Agree 5

1 hour ago, Bethy said:

Now, is that past tense because the family by and large grew up, got married, had kids, and started doing their own things, and packing everyone into a cabin in Colorado didn't work anymore, or is it past tense because Steve decided that even taking What Some Might Call A Vacation and going on 3AM death marches was too much like fun?

Age got him.  The sons dropped out as they married and had young children.  Sarah dropped off after devloping altitude sicknes and finally Terri's back couldn't take it any more and on one of their last trips only the sons could summit.  Steve actually paid attention to the signs he needed to let it go.   

• Upvote 14

18 minutes ago, Coconut Flan said:

Age got him.  The sons dropped out as they married and had young children.  Sarah dropped off after devloping altitude sicknes and finally Terri's back couldn't take it any more and on one of their last trips only the sons could summit.  Steve actually paid attention to the signs he needed to let it go.   

Years ago, Nathan and Christopher came with their wives/children. And Steve and Teri went on a Colorado trip, just the two of them, in 2020. It was actually one of Teri's better blog posts because although she came across a little preachy about how Steve's diet was clearly working for him to be able to hike so much, she also acknowledged that they knew they were getting older and each hike might be their last. There were two hikes I remember reading about on that 2020 trip - one where they took a wrong turn in the dark and ultimately decided to head back down, and the other being Mt. Ebert which they did summit. Of course with the blog folding up only about a year later we don't know if they ever got to go again. 

• Upvote 9

1 hour ago, Alisamer said:

Steve's example doesn't make "the Lord and His work" sound thrilling. He deliberately makes an effort to keep his (and his family's) life as boring and awful as possible. Like he personally finds all the religion stuff not THAT thrilling but since he thinks it SHOULD be the most thrilling thing in his life he has to make it that way by dulling down everything else as much as he can manage.

This.   

I always thought that Steveovah, down deep, really doesn't find his religious stuff all that fun or interesting, but it's what he is supposed to do.  It is supposed to be his life's priority over everything else even to the detriment of himself, his wife and his family.  He's got serious hangups about it that he feels enormous levels of guilt over other things that are more enjoyable and it's something he has to damp down.

I have known people like this....that the only thing important is Bible, Jesus, etc. and nothing else.   And I never wanted to be like them because I couldn't live such a boring, restrictive life. 

• Upvote 11

8 hours ago, Alisamer said:

Steve's hobbies are talking about death, hell, and his balls.

*ding*ding*ding* We have a thread title!

• Bless Your Heart 1
  • Haha 10
  • I Agree 5

We *might* do death and hell.  I am NOT putting Steve's balls in a thread title.  No way.  😁

• Sad 1
  • Haha 14
  • Thank You 1

I'd be so pissed if I was Sarah.  Her father disrespected her husband's late father.  The man was a football coach!  And he's not even alive to defend himself.  That is so rude and disrespectful.  It's also hurtful to Kory because Steve is saying that Kory's father flirted with grave moral danger and was lustful towards cheerleaders.  His kids AND HIS WIFE need to start opening their mouths and telling him to knock it off.  He crossed the line this time.

"What sort of dad would you consider me to be if I loved driving as fast as I could on those roads for the sake of my pleasure while ignoring the risk to my family? Yet, isn’t it common for professing dads to flirt with grave moral danger by their viewing pleasures which excite lustful passions? From sensuous movies (considered not sinful of course) to football games with beautiful, seductive cheerleaders, many are choosing to view these things.  

Oh my brothers, could it be that the greatest danger to our walk with God is not what is evil but what is justified as neutral or harmless? “Watch and pray, that ye enter not into temptation: the spirit indeed is willing, but the flesh is weak” (Matthew 26:41).

I plead with you to purpose that you will only give your attention to what is edifying. "

• Upvote 4
  • Eyeroll 2
  • I Agree 4
  • Thank You 3

My guess is that Sarah isn’t reading her dad’s emails and probably tuned him out long ago.

Steve, Jesus fished. And rested. And partied at weddings.  Stop being trying to be more Christian than Jesus.

• Upvote 13
  • I Agree 6

55 minutes ago, Jana814 said:

I didn’t realize that Sarah’s late father in law was a football coach. 

Yep.  Kory was also a football player I think he got all conference or something in high school.  I think one of his brothers is an athletic trainer.

Edited by SPHASH
  • Upvote 4
  • Thank You 6

The Bollingers really are different from the Maxwells. Sure they are also a huge Christian family. But they grew up so differently than Sarah. I hope she enjoys his extended family and they all have a lot of fun together. 

• Upvote 14

Hopefully Kory will tell Stevehovah, in no uncertain terms, to knock it off and demand an apology for the ugly nasty slam against his father..

Unfortunately I can see Stevie Boy refusing to apologize for speaking the "Truth".  Because Jesus Stevie knows the "Truth".  And ya know if the "Truth" hurts . . . .

Or maybe ... since Sarah is now extended family according to Stevie Boy's weirdness. she can extended herself right on out of any contact with Stevehovah At. All. 

• Upvote 13

1 hour ago, Red Hair, Black Dress said:

Hopefully Kory will tell Stevehovah, in no uncertain terms, to knock it off and demand an apology for the ugly nasty slam against his father..

Unfortunately I can see Stevie Boy refusing to apologize for speaking the "Truth".  Because Jesus Stevie knows the "Truth".  And ya know if the "Truth" hurts . . . .

Or maybe ... since Sarah is now extended family according to Stevie Boy's weirdness. she can extended herself right on out of any contact with Stevehovah At. All. 

I hope he does say something.  One of the brothers posted something about how the father was the best.  It was a very hurtful thing to say.  Also, what is up with a man of his age talking about lusting after "seductive cheerleaders" who are about 50 years younger than him?  That is perverted.  

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 5

It's perverted, but Stevehovah could be projecting about something he did in his younger days

Those younger days for which he everlastingly seems to be atoning.*

I'd love to know the full story of what he did that caused him to become an extreme  religious nutcase in order to atone.

* If he were Opus Dei, I'd suspect self-flagellation  and/or wearing a cilice.

• Upvote 9
  • I Agree 4

I wonder how Sarah is now processing her dad's hurtful comments. I doubt she expressed any difference of opinion while living at home even if she internally disagreed on a few things. Once she lived on her own and had a little freedom, she may have started to ponder was her dad right about certain topics. She chose to wear jeans, so she stepped outside of his rules to some extent. I don't see Sarah confronting her dad about his comments, but she may choose to put some distance between them. She likely thinks Kory's father was a good man who was a positive influence on his son, the man she loves, and doesn't want her father making unnecessary hurtful comments.

Sarah may have known it was likely her dad could make some of these comments and may have warned Kory ahead of time and said this is how my dad is- I don't agree with him but I want you to have a heads up. 

As to Steve's hate for the hobbies of hunting and fishing does he make an exception when it puts food on the table and fills the freezer? Is buying food from the grocery store the only acceptable way to feed your family? What about the people who garden, is that seen as a silly hobby? Gardening can consume quite a bit of time, but also put food on the table. Sometimes I feel Steve acts as if a guys' fishing or hunting trip is one step below going to a strip club. 

• Upvote 15
  • I Agree 1

• Coconut Flan locked this topic