IGNORED

Seriously Steve 4: Judging and Hating

Coconut Flan

On 8/3/2023 at 10:34 AM, sableduck said:

My guess is that Sarah isn’t reading her dad’s emails and probably tuned him out long ago.

Steve, Jesus fished. And rested. And partied at weddings.  Stop being trying to be more Christian than Jesus.

Now *that* is a thread title! 

• Upvote 15
  • I Agree 5

The gospel this week is the feeding of the 5000. Does Steve appreciate the miracles that were performed? I sincerely doubt that his family ever worked at a soup kitchen or helped the homeless in their community. Passing out lemon cakes to the neighbors doesn't count.

He seems to think that his version of bleached Christianity is the be all end all. Sarah and Kory teaching Bible School and having fun with kids is so far out of his range of vision. He's stewing in his own juices to see them interacting with young people , and the longer he stews the more vicious his attacks will be. It's going to eat him up and he'll be just an empty shell. 

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 3

14 hours ago, anniebgood said:

He seems to think that his version of bleached Christianity is the be all end all. Sarah and Kory teaching Bible School and having fun with kids is so far out of his range of vision. 

Honest questions on this post?

What do you mean by "bleached Christianity" (it brings something to mind for me, just want to make sure I'm on the right track)

Why do you think he thinks it's bad for Sarah and Kory to do VBS but it was okay for Anna and Mary to teach that Bible club that they were doing pre-pandemic?

14 hours ago, anniebgood said:

He's stewing in his own juices to see them interacting with young people , and the longer he stews the more vicious his attacks will be. It's going to eat him up and he'll be just an empty shell. 

Absolutely 100% agree on this one, especially the part about him being an empty shell. He seems to be well on his way already. The fact that he's had two daughters married in the past year - to godly young men pursuing ministry either vocational or avocationally - and hasn't so much as mentioned either wedding in his weekly column speaks volumes. He can't say that he was trying to avoid redundancy with the Mom's Corner posts because by design, those have mutually exclusive audiences. And the way he's raging at things we either know or suspect his sons and sons-in-law are doing/allowing is also very telling. I really hope Anna is not living at home with her parents this summer (or that if she is, she has a job and a social schedule that keep her away from home except to sleep) and that she will return to ABC in the fall, because the fathership is probably a very quiet, lonely, and toxic place right now. 

• Upvote 10
  • I Agree 1

I think Steve has been an empty shell for many years, he just didn't know it, and kept clicking and whirring on, in his robotic, Borg-like way.

:SmileyFace-Borg-2:

• Upvote 5
  • Haha 2
  • I Agree 9

8 hours ago, Bethy said:

Honest questions on this post?

What do you mean by "bleached Christianity" (it brings something to mind for me, just want to make sure I'm on the right track)

Why do you think he thinks it's bad for Sarah and Kory to do VBS but it was okay for Anna and Mary to teach that Bible club that they were doing pre-pandemic?

Absolutely 100% agree on this one, especially the part about him being an empty shell. He seems to be well on his way already. The fact that he's had two daughters married in the past year - to godly young men pursuing ministry either vocational or avocationally - and hasn't so much as mentioned either wedding in his weekly column speaks volumes. He can't say that he was trying to avoid redundancy with the Mom's Corner posts because by design, those have mutually exclusive audiences. And the way he's raging at things we either know or suspect his sons and sons-in-law are doing/allowing is also very telling. I really hope Anna is not living at home with her parents this summer (or that if she is, she has a job and a social schedule that keep her away from home except to sleep) and that she will return to ABC in the fall, because the fathership is probably a very quiet, lonely, and toxic place right now. 

Bleached Christianity to me is one devoid of love. It's stripped to the bare bones that Steve has professed to be the truth. There's no mention of Christ's love for the poor, the hungry or the people that want sustenance from the word. He deliberately picks verses that condemn and castigate the reader. I can't remember him ever quoting the beatitudes. But that's JMHO. 

I think that the fact that Sarah and Kory are in their churches active ministry and it's on the website and videos irritates him. Anna and Mary may have led a Bible club but didn't get publicly acknowledges. Like you I hope Anna is having a wonderful summer, perhaps traveling to OK to see her sister and brother in law.

I keep thinking of the song How're You Gonna Keep Them Down on the Farm, Now That They've Seen Paree?  Other than Chris and his devotion to the Father Ship, the other children have interacted with other churches and have heard other preachers who are far and above better than Dad. 

• Upvote 11

On 8/5/2023 at 10:58 AM, thoughtful said:

I think Steve has been an empty shell for many years, he just didn't know it, and kept clicking and whirring on, in his robotic, Borg-like way.

:SmileyFace-Borg-2:

Long, involved dream last night about a big gathering where Teri Maxwell was light-hearted, energetic, friendly and fun. Steve was there, too,  but mostly in the back, smiling insincerely and -  ow that you mention it - vapidly!

Awoke feeling refreshed, even so!

Edited by MamaJunebug
  • Upvote 5
  • Love 3

On 8/5/2023 at 5:52 PM, anniebgood said:

Bleached Christianity to me is one devoid of love. It's stripped to the bare bones that Steve has professed to be the truth. There's no mention of Christ's love for the poor, the hungry or the people that want sustenance from the word. He deliberately picks verses that condemn and castigate the reader. I can't remember him ever quoting the beatitudes. But that's JMHO. 

I really think Steve is such a black and white thinker that he cannot comprehend how to have fun and enjoy life without somehow sinning, so he's decided the only way to be sure to avoid hell is to be as miserable as possible. Possibly with a side issue of him being the sort who is likely to get caught up in doing something he enjoys and be tempted not to spend every waking hour thinking about God. And I'm convinced he probably also had some "fun" in the past that he's now ashamed of and considers "sinful" so there's the "must punish myself" mindset there also. 

And he projects his own mindset on everyone else - his readers, his children, even on Jesus! We know Jesus attended weddings and drank wine and celebrated the Jewish holidays. But Steve is terrified that if he does something "fun" he might accidentally do something "worldly" and roast in hell for all eternity. 

He seems to have some sort of self-loathing he projects onto others, while also acting like he thinks he's the only person on the planet who actually understands the Bible. 

Dude needs therapy. I'm glad the daughters managed to pull away a bit. 

• Upvote 8
  • I Agree 8

On 8/5/2023 at 8:37 AM, Bethy said:

he thinks it's bad for Sarah and Kory to do VBS but it was okay for Anna and Mary to teach that Bible club that they were doing pre-pandemic?

Same thing he always did.  Keep the kids home and make them think they're busy so it shuts them up.  He's cunning.  

• Upvote 9

4 hours ago, theologygeek said:

Same thing he always did.  Keep the kids home and make them think they're busy so it shuts them up.  He's cunning.  

Cunning like the snake in the garden. His version of Christianity (and I might suggest white nationalism) is terrifying. He'd begrudge the 5000 of their fish and loaves. The wedding party their wine, and perhaps the sips of hyssop on the sponge for the Lord. 

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 7

• 2 weeks later...

I get ads according to what I've been searching.  Right now it's shoe ads.  Once I looked at lamps.  I got ads for lamps for a month!  Steve is getting sensuous women's clothing ads.  Hmmmmmm...........

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 14
  • I Agree 2

Of course Stevie's idea of sensuous women's clothing and actual sensuous clothing are vastly different.

Anything with an Eyetrap!!!!! is sensuous to Stevehovah. So a shirt that showed one's collarbone is sensuous.

The bigger question is why are women's clothing ads showing up on Stevie Boy's computer.

Hmmmmmmmmmm............

• Upvote 10
  • Haha 5

10 hours ago, Fun-Dee said:

I get ads according to what I've been searching.  Right now it's shoe ads.  Once I looked at lamps.  I got ads for lamps for a month!  Steve is getting sensuous women's clothing ads.  Hmmmmmm...........

Posted this on one thread or another here.  An ex-evangelical found a twitter interaction that went something like this: 

Young Fundamentalist Evangelical Guy #1:  I hate twitter!  I keep getting tweets of women in revealing swimsuits! 

Young Fundamentalist Evangelical Guy #2: Dude, you know it's based on an algorithm, right?

Edited by Howl
  • Haha 17

13 hours ago, Fun-Dee said:

I get ads according to what I've been searching. 

Well, yes. This is kind of how it works. Thanks to my snarking career, many of the ads I see are for fundie-related things or people. They are interspersed with whatever online shopping search I've been doing most recently.  

You'd think one of the computer whizzes in the family would have explained algorithms to Steve.  

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 1

4 hours ago, Red Hair, Black Dress said:

Of course Stevie's idea of sensuous women's clothing and actual sensuous clothing are vastly different.

Anything with an Eyetrap!!!!! is sensuous to Stevehovah. So a shirt that showed one's collarbone is sensuous.

The bigger question is why are women's clothing ads showing up on Stevie Boy's computer.

Hmmmmmmmmmm............

Eye trap AKA Buttons?

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 10

Just now, SassyPants said:

Eye trap AKA Buttons?

Only if they don't match the fabric of the shirt.

I think also T-shirts with words across the chest (which we've seen Sarah wearing) might count as eye-traps to Steve.

Also here are some eye trap examples blatantly stolen from an ATI Wisdom Booklet. I'm sure Steve would agree with these but also probably add his own twist to make it clear he's the better authority.

Screenshot-2015-10-14-14_08.59-e1449978518351.png.0f47f41d8d025e9e8830ecdfecd1f5d4.png

• Upvote 7
  • WTF 2

9 minutes ago, Alisamer said:

Only if they don't match the fabric of the shirt.

I think also T-shirts with words across the chest (which we've seen Sarah wearing) might count as eye-traps to Steve.

Also here are some eye trap examples blatantly stolen from an ATI Wisdom Booklet. I'm sure Steve would agree with these but also probably add his own twist to make it clear he's the better authority.

Screenshot-2015-10-14-14_08.59-e1449978518351.png.0f47f41d8d025e9e8830ecdfecd1f5d4.png

Those outfits have eye traps?  THOSE?

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 13
  • I Agree 2

2 minutes ago, HoneyBunny said:

Let me see if I can come up with some. 

Spoiler

Screenshot-2015-10-14-14_08.59-e1449978518351.png.acac69d98e5284e06f968312046f3346.png

Number 1: appears to have sheer lace at top and sleeves, also some lace at the hem (or a slip showing) either of which "draw the eye away from the face". And if that lace at the top is sheer, and the wearer is busty, there'll be cleavage. Also black lace is for naughty lingerie, doncha know.

Number 2: Long necklace drawing the eye down the body right to the crotch (men are apparently exempt from this being an issue, considering they nearly all wear ties pointing to the same place...), print on the top draws the eye toward the chest. The length of the skirt might also be questionable to some fundies. (Also that shirt with that skirt is a travesty.)

Number 3: the drop waist draws the eye down the body, and the lace collar thing attracts attention to the chest. (I suspect big enough hair might mitigate these eyetraps enough to make the outfit marginally acceptable.)

Number 4: Skirt slits are sluttish and must be stitched closed!

Number 5: Bow on the chest that also draws the eye right down to the lady parts, V neckline drawing the eye to the chest and showing off some collarbone. She might as well be naked! (Also, I'm fairly sure Princess Di wore something exactly like this once. Might have been maternity even.)

Number 6: Patterned stockings draw the eye to the wearer's "sensuous" legs (unless those are the world's worst varicose veins...). Add the contrasting pumps and a contrasting collar pointing straight down in between the boobs, and this outfit is downright scandalous!

I'm sure Steve could find a few other eye traps, such as the fact they are female, and they don't all have their hair in a Steve-approved style or cut. 

• Upvote 9
  • Haha 2
  • Thank You 4

Spoiler

Brittany came in second with a long-sleeved, high necked gown, but it was sheer with lace at the bottom and with a corset underneath.  Steve would have had a stroke.

On tonight's Project Runway All Stars, the designers have to make something that shows extremes of an aesthetic.   Brittany Allen has to make a dress or whatever that is both sexy and modest.

Edited by PennySycamore
  • Upvote 2

7 hours ago, Alisamer said:

Reveal hidden contents

Screenshot-2015-10-14-14_08.59-e1449978518351.png.acac69d98e5284e06f968312046f3346.png

Number 4: Skirt slits are sluttish and must be stitched closed!

It was kinda mind boggling to me when I attended a fairly fundie event in my youth and was told that ankle length skirts were fine, knee length skirts were fine, but if my ankle length skirt had a knee-high slit I wasn't allowed to wear it because of the peek-a-boo effect, but if I cut the whole dang skirt off at the top of the knee, it would check. MAKE IT MAKE SENSE!

• Upvote 14

Maybe he has the Weather Channel, their videos have been from Maui and there are lots of women in tank tops, tight tees and jeans talking to the cameras. Perhaps that's sensuous? I'd like him to give us examples? I bet he s&^t a brick over Mary's wedding dress. :character-ariel:

• Upvote 8

On 8/17/2023 at 1:48 PM, HoneyBunny said:

“What could you do to alter them?”, the caption asks  

I know! Pick me! Ahem**: BEDSHEETS! 

• Haha 7

• Coconut Flan locked this topic