IGNORED

Seriously Steve 4: Judging and Hating

Coconut Flan

What @Bluebirdbluebell said. It’s not enough that Stevehovah and his unsuspecting victims whip out and compare their Super Christian Decoder Rings, he is also Contractually Obligated to interrogate them on the depth of their Christianism (TM).

And, yeah—his youngest daughter’s wedding is coming up soon. His failure to mention it implies that he’s not exactly jazzed about the whole situation.

• Upvote 7

1 minute ago, Hane said:

What @Bluebirdbluebell said. It’s not enough that Stevehovah and his unsuspecting victims whip out and compare their Super Christian Decoder Rings, he is also Contractually Obligated to interrogate them on the depth of their Christianism (TM).

And, yeah—his youngest daughter’s wedding is coming up soon. His failure to mention it implies that he’s not exactly jazzed about the whole situation.

On his daughter's wedding, I'm reserving judgment until we see what he writes next week. I have a feeling it won't be good, but he may be too anxious to write about it before hand.

• Upvote 1

I suspect he'll write about Mary's wedding just like he wrote about Sarah's -- hardly at all, without any joy.

Dear Rufus,

Please do not let Teri write about Mary's long season of singleness*  as she did about Sarah's. We all know Stevehovah and Teri are the cause (and architects) of the single seasons.

*Not that Mary was single nearly as long as Sarah, but it was longer than is usual for fundies.  And -- Not that being single is in any way less than being married, but I'm fairly sure that if she'd never gone to ABC, Mary would not be getting married next weekend.

• Upvote 6
  • Rufus Bless 2
  • I Agree 10

18 hours ago, Red Hair, Black Dress said:

I suspect he'll write about Mary's wedding just like he wrote about Sarah's -- hardly at all, without any joy.

Dear Rufus,

Please do not let Teri write about Mary's long season of singleness*  as she did about Sarah's. We all know Stevehovah and Teri are the cause (and architects) of the single seasons.

*Not that Mary was single nearly as long as Sarah, but it was longer than is usual for fundies.  And -- Not that being single is in any way less than being married, but I'm fairly sure that if she'd never gone to ABC, Mary would not be getting married next weekend.

I think we've seen enough fundies get married at older ages for her age not to be abnormal. She's the same age as Chelsy when she got married. Mary is still young enough to have a relatively big quiver. Marriage doesn't necessarily bring independence and having a large family comes with obligations and limitations. It's also possible Mary met Sam before ABC and was inspired to go there after meeting him.

• Upvote 1

This week's Seriously, Dad? is called "Almost" and it's from May 31, 2023. 

It's a real winner. 

First Paragraph:

Paul had just made his defense and stood before King Agrippa. “Then Agrippa said unto Paul, Almost thou persuadest me to be a Christian” (Acts 26:28).Agrippa indicated he was on the edge of making the most important decision one can make, salvation through faith alone in Jesus Christ alone. 

This is not a part of the bible I particularly remember. I was able to do some research and found who Agrippa was (link).

Herod Agrippa II (Hebrew: אגריפס; AD 27/28[1] – c. 92 or 100[1][2]), officially named Marcus Julius Agrippa and sometimes shortened to Agrippa, was the last ruler from the Herodian dynasty, reigning over territories outside of Judea as a Roman client. Agrippa II fled Jerusalem in 66, fearing the Jewish uprising and supported the Roman side in the First Jewish–Roman War.

Steve acts like converting someone back then is the same as converting someone now. 

Sadly, Scripture gives us no indication that he was ever saved, and he is likely in hell – so, so close.

Agrippa might be in hell based on how he used (or abused) his power. This is a major problem I have with many forms of Christianity and many believers. The idea that all non-believers go to hell is cruel, abusive, and problematic. Look at how this belief contributes greatly to anti-Semitism (for example).

Second Paragraph:

“Almost” is similar to Christians who say “I was gonna” or “I plan to.” 

The "Almost" is part of that bible quote. I would have thought The Parable of the Two Sons (link) and the vineyard work better. Probably, Steve is annoyed that the older son who follows through mouths off first. 

Just like “almost” they don’t involve action. 

He's right actions speak louder than words. For example, if you want to help the LGBTQ+ community, there are places to volunteer and donate this Pride month.

Brothers, good intentions and warm thoughts, aren’t enough.

I agree, sometimes actions are needed, and not just thoughts and prayers. Gun Violence Awareness Day is June 2nd and you can wear an orange to participate if you are so inclined. 

Third Paragraph:

We will grow in Christ when we are making and acting on a host of right decisions. 

I think growth comes from making good choices "right decisions" and also making mistakes and learning from them. Steve doesn't believe in the second part.

We do this, not to look good, “earn points” or make ourselves feel better. 

Could've fooled us! I think many Christians do things to look good, earn points with God or make themselves feel better. Also "earn points" is in quotes. I wonder if someone said Steve tries to earn points as a zinger or Gotcha towards Steve.

These decisions followed by actions are indicative of walking a path of obedience as we seek to please Him – not “I was gonna,” but “Yes, Lord.”

This is where I start having problems again.  I'm not sure exactly how to obey God and I'm cautious on who I let decide what counts as obeying God. I wouldn't let Steve tell me how to obey God.

Fourth Paragraph:

Some examples of these might be: assembling together (Heb 10:25), weekly giving (1 Cor 16:2), daily personal time in the Word (1 Peter 2:2), in prayer (Rom 12:12), leading your family in daily family Bible time (Deut 6), sharing Christ with the lost (Matt 28:19-20), holiness (2 Pet 3:11).

I guess this counts as "dad advice" since he mentions "leading your family in daily family Bible time". Great advice! I'm sure they didn't know to do that, since they've only read the last 1000 Seriouslys. Seriously? Can't you think of anything else to share? 

Steve, your new son-in-law is going to be a pastor and a missionary and doing much of what you think is Godly. He's going to be doing a lot of things on that list above. Maybe give him a chance?

Unpopular opinion: I don't care he didn't write about the wedding since this is an advice column for fathers. It's also possible he wrote it in advance. What does annoy me is this is the same stuff that he writes week after week with barely any acknowledgement that he's said it before. It also annoys me that it is only very slightly related to fatherhood and that mainly it seems to be a way to guilt trip people, probably his own sons. Who's reading this? I have to think it's like his family and a bunch of snarkers reading it.  

• Upvote 5
  • Thank You 2

I just read this week's Seriously for the first time in a while and lol, it looks like one of his kids has let their children watch Wild Kratts.

• Upvote 7

This week's Seriously, Dad? is called The Wicked Friend and it's from June 7, 2022. As @VodouDoll mentions, it's about the evils of kids nature shows.

First Paragraph:

He’s a friend you haven’t seen in years, and you are surprised to encounter him at the gas station. He’s back in town briefly on business. You invite him over for dinner to catch up. 

Considering you homeschooled your kids, how many friends do the Maxkids meet in gas stations?

Second Paragraph:

He arrives, and you are anticipating an enjoyable, relaxing evening. Soon however, he begins sharing about his new passion in life – nature and evolution. He had thought the concept was crazy, but now he is convinced it is true. Your children are with you at the table as he gives lots of interesting information about nature and the world, all from an evolutionary perspective. 

I think this is something that never happened. If it did, I wonder how old the "children" are. Could these be Steve and Teri's adult children? Also sharing information about science seems cool. Most people I know don't talk a lot about science.

Third Paragraph:

What would you do? Would you allow him to continue filling your children’s minds with the lie of evolution and other facts which he claims support a godless creation? 

There's nothing wrong with evolution, Steve. Many scientists believe in God. Someone said that God loves truth and science is an attempt to find truth and therefore honors God.

Fourth Paragraph: 

What amazes me is how many Christian families do just that. In the name of learning about science and nature, they invite a guest into their home to preach about evolution to their children through TV and documentary nature shows. 

I doubt you know many people who show natures shows through science. And it's good that these families are trying to teach their kids something, considering this is the only education they are getting.

“He” gains access to the children’s minds in exchange for quietly occupying them.

He who? The Kratts? Bill Nye? Sir David Attenborough?  Does he mean the devil?! What the fuck! See in the Third Paragraph section about God and truth!

They may learn a few facts about nature, but it is at the high cost of giving “mother nature” the glory that is due to God because of His marvelous creation.

There is something sexist about the way this plays "mother nature" against God. God created both man and woman in his image. If learning about nature challenges a belief in God, what does say about your belief in God?

Fifth Paragraph:

It could also put the question in a child’s mind: Is evolution true? He realizes that many, maybe even most, believe evolution.

Yes, people believe in evolution. Also the majority of people celebrate Christmas. The two beliefs don't have to be exclusionary.

Why is it a surprise that young adults are leaving the faith?

Evolution is far from the most common reason to leave the faith. The most common reasons are abuse (spiritual, physical, sexual, etc.), hypocrisy and arbitrary rules. People like Steve are more likely the reason people leave the faith than a belief in science. Using your religion to control or hurt people is what is driving them away.

Sixth Paragraph:

“Ye that love the LORD, hate evil” (Psalm 97:10a).

I think most people hate true evil like murder and abuse. One of the problems is that people overuse the term evil, like in this column.

Seventh Paragraph:

“I am the LORD: that is my name: and my glory will I not give to another, neither my praise to graven images” (Isaiah 42:8).

If anything, nature is often a reason to praise God. Again what does it say about your faith if watching nature show completely destroys it? 

• Thank You 4
  • Love 2

My kids get to (unfortunately) hear all sorts of questionable stuff outside of friends, school and close family and I don’t yank them out of the conversation or environment, I discuss it with them in private later! 🤦‍♀️ If the smallest hint of differing information is able to turn your children to “raging atheists” then holy shit, your faith is weak…! 
(With my kids it is sexist, racist, homophobic, ableist, classist stuff that is the issue, not faith vs evolution) 

Edited by Mrs Ms
Auto”correct” strikes again
  • Upvote 12
  • Love 4

My kids drew the entire universe on their bedroom wall before they went to Kindergarten. Guess you figured out what kind of picture books were lying around our house. The Science Channel was useful back then. Plus they went to Sunday School every week. We saw no conflict between God and Science. 
Steve, unwad your panties and stop seeing evil around every corner.

• Upvote 6
  • Love 3

This week's Seriously, Dad? is called "We Live It" and it's from June 14, 2023.

First Paragraph:

Are our actions consistent with what we believe? Peter said he would die with Jesus. There appeared to be no doubt in his mind that he was committed to following Christ (Matthew 26:33). Yet a brief while later, he denied Christ three times (Matthew 26:70-75). 

Part of the bible I'm familiar with for once! Yes, Peter did that. He was scared during the crucifixion. He also came back and went on to be an early church leader.

Second Paragraph:

You tell your wife you love her, but do you live it (Ephesians 5:25, 28)? That greatly affects whether she believes you or not. 

Pushing your wife to have more babies is not my idea of living out your love for your wife.

Third Paragraph:

Do you believe God answers prayer? If so, do you pray? What do you pray for?

That would be private between the person praying and God. If I want you to know, I would ask you to pray for what I want.

Your best life now, or God’s will be done? 

This reminds of Catholic clergy, particularly nuns, who talk about the will of God.

We have the assurance that if we pray consistent with His will, He will answer. 

You can pray for anything you want, and eventually you will come to conclusion you have His answer. Sometimes that answer is no.

Fourth Paragraph:

“And this is the confidence that we have in him, that, if we ask any thing according to his will, he heareth us: And if we know that he hear us, whatsoever we ask, we know that we have the petitions that we desired of him” (1 John 5:14-15).

I'm surprised God doesn't have capitalized pronouns in that passage. 

"Oh, Lord won't you buy a Mercedes Benz"

Fifth Paragraph:

Oh my brothers, we must pray, pray, and then pray more. 

This is generally considered the thing to do by religious people, but I doubt most of the people who read this column need reminders to pray. You could have written a little prayer for them to use. I wonder if Steve prays the Serenity Prayer:

God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

Edited by Bluebirdbluebell
  • Upvote 6
  • Love 2

4 hours ago, Bluebirdbluebell said:

This week's Seriously, Dad? is called "We Live It" and it's from June 14, 2023.

First Paragraph:

Part of the bible I'm familiar with for once! Yes, Peter did that. He was scared during the crucifixion. He also came back and went on to be an early church leader.

Second Paragraph:

Pushing your wife to have more babies is not my idea of living out your love for your wife.

Third Paragraph:

That would be private between the person praying and God. If I want you to know, I would ask you to pray for what I want.

This reminds of Catholic clergy, particularly nuns, who talk about the will of God.

You can pray for anything you want, and eventually you will come to conclusion you have His answer. Sometimes that answer is no.

Fourth Paragraph:

I'm surprised God doesn't have capitalized pronouns in that passage. 

"Oh, Lord won't you buy a Mercedes Benz"

Fifth Paragraph:

This is generally considered the thing to do by religious people, but I doubt most of the people who read this column need reminders to pray. You could have written a little prayer for them to use. I wonder if Steve prays the Serenity Prayer:

God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

Thank you for showing us his message to father’s about raising daughters right for marriage with happy tidbits about Mary’s wedding! 

Oh wait, never mind…

You did well with the drivel he posted instead. Thanks!

• Upvote 5
  • Haha 1
  • I Agree 3
  • Thank You 2

This week's Seriously, Dad? is called Considering and it's from June 21, 2022.

First Paragraph:

I’m guessing most professing Christians have thought about the downward spiral of the U.S. Ten years ago I would not have imagined the current status.

Yes, 10 years ago that Donald Trump would be president and do serious damage to the country was unthinkable! We are in a mess to be sure. 

I was saddened then, and deeply grieved now. 

Yes, Trump was very sad. 

The natural tendency is to look for who to blame. Only the Lord knows, but there may be some benefit in considering whether we might be culpable in some way. 

The religious right has a lot to answer for, so looking inward sounds good.

Second Paragraph:

First, is there anything that might have the power to change the course of over 300 million people? Oh, my Brothers, yes indeed. “And Jesus came and spake unto them, saying, All power is given unto me in heaven and in earth. Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost: Teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you: and, lo, I am with you alway, even unto the end of the world. Amen” (Matthew 28:18-20).

Jesus doesn't seem to have much of an influence. A large portion of the country isn't Christian and many of the Christians don't really believe in Jesus's teachings such as peace and non-violence. How many churches encouraged people to spread a deadly virus during a Pandemic? How many people claim to hate in the name of God?

Third Paragraph:

There is power in the blood of the Lamb, and it changed a wretch like me.

The line is "that saved a wretch like me". Why not just quote Amazing Grace outright? Sometimes people sing "that saved and set me free". 

The saving power of the blood of Jesus is what is needed.

Maybe? And people just developing empathy and becoming nicer would do more good? It's a personal choice what to believe and you can't force believe.  If it would help people be kinder, I'm for it.

Do we have our hand to the plow or the remote control or a movie channel? 

Nobody puts their hand on a movie channel, Steve. 

In churches I've been to, the pastor/priest sometimes mentions something he (or she) saw on television during the sermon. Most of those sermons were better than this column. 
Also you can watch television at night when no one wants you to ring their doorbell.

Fourth Paragraph:

Are you aggressive in meeting people with the goal of sharing Christ with them?

I think by aggressive he means eager. Aggressive is a bad word choice. I don't want people aggressively shoving their beliefs in my face. I don't want people threatening me to take a tract or else and Jesus wouldn't want that either.

An annoying, sad column!  Yet again nothing to do with fatherhood. Try better next week and Happy Pride month!

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 2
  • Thank You 4

@Bluebirdbluebell, I think he *does* mean “aggressive.” Stevehovah must know by now how unlikeable he is and is fresh out of fucks to give. He is 100% buying into his role as Old Man Yelling at Cloud. His daughters have all moved away and are walking around with their knees and shoulders showing and his brain has exploded.

(OT: Autocorrect tried to change “daughters” to “dad greed,” and I found it strangely apropos.)

• Upvote 10
  • I Agree 4

Why on earth would "most professing Christians have thought about the downward spiral of the U.S"???

Most professing Christians don't really think about the U.S. at all, Steve. Because they live in other countries, Steve.

• Upvote 4
  • Confused 1
  • Haha 5

12 hours ago, Bluebirdbluebell said:

Second Paragraph:

Jesus doesn't seem to have much of an influence. A large portion of the country isn't Christian and many of the Christians don't really believe in Jesus's teachings such as peace and non-violence. How many churches encouraged people to spread a deadly virus during a Pandemic? How many people claim to hate in the name of God?

I don't know about that.  The majority of Americans are Christian, at 63%.  Many denominations preach peace and love-Catholic, Episcopalian, Lutheran, Nazarene, Greek Orthodox, Methodist... to name some.   Individual fundamentalists are in every denomination, but that doesn't mean that's what the church in their proclaimed denomination preaches.  Extremists are everywhere, but are not representative of a denomination.  

• Upvote 2
  • Eyeroll 1

On 9/21/2022 at 3:51 PM, JermajestyDuggar said:

I know women who divorced for that reason. And to be honest, I probably would too. There’s no way I could do everything with very little help for decades. 

It's me. I did that exactl reason. He was so lazy he even quit flushing the toilet

• Upvote 1
  • Disgust 5
  • WTF 4

1 minute ago, 2AnimalCrackers said:

It's me. I did that exactl reason. He was so lazy he even quit flushing the toilet

There’s this thing called “toddler husbands” now. It’s always been a thing. But now they have a name for it. I’m glad you got away from that BS. 

• I Agree 2

4 hours ago, theologygeek said:

I don't know about that.  The majority of Americans are Christian, at 63%.  Many denominations preach peace and love-Catholic, Episcopalian, Lutheran, Nazarene, Greek Orthodox, Methodist... to name some.   Individual fundamentalists are in every denomination, but that doesn't mean that's what the church in their proclaimed denomination preaches.  Extremists are everywhere, but are not representative of a denomination.  

So 37% of the country isn't Christian. That seems like a sizable percentage who isn't Christian. It isn't the majority, but it's a bigger group than people like Steve would admit. 
Also even a lot of big denominations don't support gay rights. This twitter thread here has some interesting information. (link) I found the link through Free Jinger in the Theobro thread.

I realize not all Christians are theocrats, but they're the ones who want to make religion part of politics.

• Upvote 1
  • Confused 1

This week's Seriously, Dad? is called Fishing and it's from June 28, 2023. It's somewhat hilarious.

First Paragraph:

The only fishing I care to do is for men. 

I know what he means, but also good for him. :GPn0zNK:

“And he saith unto them, Follow me, and I will make you fishers of men” (Matthew 4:19).

Yes, I knew this is where he was going.

I may not have much skill, but I do apply myself to the task. 

Well this is very honest!! Steve doesn't seem like he would be good at converting strangers. There is more than one to serve the Lord, so maybe Steve should find a way to serve God in a way he is good at. 

If you share that interest, I hope to encourage you today. I wonder if one of the best fishing holes is often overlooked. 

Yes, tell us about the holes where you find men.

Second Paragraph:

Almost every Sunday, we have some visitors at church (no doubt churches vary greatly). Most will be saved, but some might not be.

A lot of churches have visitors, and people's status with God is between them and God.

Consider that for most people it takes a bit of courage to walk into a new place where they don’t know others. “What will the service be like?” “What will the people there be like?” “Will I fit it?” Many more… 

I agree it can take courage going to a new place. If Steve is there, I doubt I will fit in. Also I think it would been better to put Etc. instead of "Many more..."

Third Paragraph:

Talk about fish jumping into the boat!

I'll give Steve this: showing up at a church for a regular service does tend to indicate interest in religion. 

Here is an opportunity to show believers and unbelievers the love of Christ and make them feel valued and welcome. Our motives are very important. We love them because Jesus loves them, not to fill pews. We want to minister to hearts similar to how Jesus was with the Samaritan woman at the well. Not just, “Welcome, hope you will come back.”

This is very nice, but it's also not something I believe when it's coming from Steve. You can't say that you love someone and then reject parts of who they are like their sexuality, gender identity, etc. You can't love them with the hopes of changing most of their personality. Let's say this person is a transwoman who loves pop-culture. Steve would be incapable of meeting that person where they are. Jesus could.

Fourth Paragraph: 

The challenge for most in the church toward visitors might be thoughts like this. “I don’t know them.” “What will I say?”

Again there are a lot of good points in this article. Yes, it can be anxious to talk to new people. 

The worst and most likely excuse is, “I’d rather talk to my friends.”

Yes, refusing to talk to other people besides your friends does sound like middle school behavior. At the same time, it might be important to talk people you know to see how they are, catch up, etc.

Instead, seek them out before and after church and talk to them. Some pastors encourage people to be prepared to invite visitors out to lunch.

That's nice. It also might be nice to have lunch with people you know.

Fifth Paragraph:

The visitors may never darken the door of another church again. May we love them because Christ first loved us. “Beloved, if God so loved us, we ought also to love one another” (1 John 4:11). 

This is a very nice sentiment. It needs to be backed up with acceptance of who they are. A lot LGBTQIA+ people will never go back to any church if they've experienced discrimination by other churches.

Sixth Paragraph:

Side note: a Brother in Christ recently asked me what the best resource was for learning how to share Christ with others. I thought you all would have some good recommendations for me. ???

This paragraph is something else!! It's not a side note since it's still on the topic. More importantly, how do you Steve not have resources for people who want to "learn to share Christ with others". Isn't that one of the most important tenets of your beliefs? Isn't the whole point of this column to share Christ with others? Don't you lecture people all the time about converting people instead of wasting time watching television?

Engagement is a good way to grow a blog, but you don't allow comments on the Seriously, Dads? and Mom's Corner. Maybe a few people will email you back. I hope some of them send literature about how to tell people God loves them even if they're gay. It is the last days of Pride 2023.

• Upvote 4

The request for recommended resources is a humble-brag. It means that he is such a "natural" that he needed no "resources" to help him master this important skill, therefore he doesn't have any to recommend. Others may need to learn it from a book or whatever, so he's happy to pass that along, but he doesn't use resources like that himself. It's like a cook who, when asked for their recipe, will say, "Oh, I'm sorry, I didn't use a recipe! It just happened this way!"

• Upvote 4

I know the Maxwells used to give out those tracts that look like million dollar bills to try to convert people. 
They were also big fans of the Good Person Test (spoiler alert: No one passed!!)

I wonder why Steve asks for recommendations?

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 2

We have greeters out front every Sunday and they don't discriminate who they talk to. They show genuine interest in both visitors and members. Somehow I don't think I'd want Steve to be one. His attitude of if you don't agree with me I don't care about your reason to be here. 

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 1

On 6/28/2023 at 2:09 PM, Bluebirdbluebell said:

This is very nice, but it's also not something I believe when it's coming from Steve. You can't say that you love someone and then reject parts of who they are like their sexuality, gender identity, etc. You can't love them with the hopes of changing most of their personality. Let's say this person is a transwoman who loves pop-culture. Steve would be incapable of meeting that person where they are. Jesus could.

So much this. How welcome and loved does Steve think a gay or trans person in the congregation, whether a stranger or a regular member, feels when the preacher rails against their sexual or gender identity. Inviting them to your house after church for bean burritos (not that we've ever known Steve to do that) is not going to erase the words they've just heard used against the pastor spent a good chunk of his sermon ranting about feminists and the equal rights amendment and I definitely did not feel welcome.

• Upvote 5
  • Love 4

• Coconut Flan locked this topic