IGNORED

Seriously Steve 4: Judging and Hating

Coconut Flan

2 hours ago, 3splenty said:

I always ask people like Steve who Christ hung out with while on earth. Who did he talk to/associate with? Hint: it wasn't the holier-than-thou Pharasees. He ate with tax collectors, prostitutes, those with incurable disease, and everyone else that society looked down on. He talked to the Samaritans and women, which in those days wasn't done.

And he showed his love through actions, not just words.

Yes, exactly.  I almost put in my other post who he hung out with but my daughter called and I just ended it there.  And here is something that I feel very strongly about...  I don't care what denomination you are, this goes for all of them...  If you believe in God and have a problem with your tax dollars going to food stamps, free housing, clean needles, medicaid, or any social justice causes that help the less fortunate or those who are suffering in some way, then you better check your heart.  I know a lot of people who are very fortunate financially, but are pissy and moany when it comes to their tax dollars going to certain things.  Same ones who are in church every week and who also adore Trump.  Catholics especially should know better, because the majority of sermons are about helping others, including the poor.  People are really something else. 

• Upvote 1
  • Love 9

On 2/15/2024 at 4:17 PM, sableduck said:

Sounds like some of his adult children held and/or went to a Super Bowl party.

My bet is either Sarah/Kory and/or John/Chelsy..  Kory played football in high school and IIRC his dad was a coach.

As for John and Chelsy her side of the family seem to enjoy sports,  I know they like the Iowa Hawkeyes cuz the boys were wearing Hawkeye shirts/caps in a blog post and Joshua wrote about listening to an Iowa game while in the combine.

Some churches have what they call "Souper Bowl Sunday"  After church they have a soup lunch and do a free will offering to take to a local food shelf/soup kitchen.  At least that's how my mom's church does it.  Another thing Steve wouldn't approve of.

• Upvote 10

53 minutes ago, SPHASH said:

Some churches have what they call "Souper Bowl Sunday"  After church they have a soup lunch and do a free will offering to take to a local food shelf/soup kitchen.  At least that's how my mom's church does it.  Another thing Steve wouldn't approve of.

I was just going to say something about this. If he's a regular Sunday evening service attendee and the church canceled (or even rescheduled - some churches do a potluck/soup lunch followed by an abbreviated evening service so everything is wrapped up by 2PM and people have the rest of the day free) the evening service, he's going to have his knickers in a twist. Even more so if his local offspring are heading out to football-watching parties and not to the fathership for extra Bible time to make up for the missed service. 

• Upvote 7

15 hours ago, Bethy said:

I was just going to say something about this. If he's a regular Sunday evening service attendee and the church canceled (or even rescheduled - some churches do a potluck/soup lunch followed by an abbreviated evening service so everything is wrapped up by 2PM and people have the rest of the day free) the evening service, he's going to have his knickers in a twist. Even more so if his local offspring are heading out to football-watching parties and not to the fathership for extra Bible time to make up for the missed service. 

Yeah even though my mom isn't a sports fan she enjoys Souper Bowl Sunday.  After church they would gather in the fellowship hall and watch a video of a ball player talking about his faith such as Kurt Warner or Tim Tebow and afterwards they would have soup and take up the collection.  After several years of this tradition the pastor ruined it by insisting it be a parish event.  The parish has three churches and he preached at each one every Sunday.  Be ause of the schedule he couldn't partake in the soup lunch so this was his way of ensuring he could.  The people in mom's church which is also the church I grew up in weren't too pleased with the pastor usurping this tradition they established.  The three churches don't exactly get along but stick together for financial reasons.  I remember when I was a kid when we had parish wide events it was always at one of the other churches and we rarely got a turn to host one.  Also at these events all the people from Church A sat in one section of the sanctuary, Church B was in another and Church C in another.  Each church is in a separate rural town so there was that small town mentality.

• Upvote 5

On 2/16/2024 at 2:06 PM, theologygeek said:

And here is something that I feel very strongly about...  I don't care what denomination you are, this goes for all of them...  If you believe in God and have a problem with your tax dollars going to food stamps, free housing, clean needles, medicaid, or any social justice causes that help the less fortunate or those who are suffering in some way, then you better check your heart.  I know a lot of people who are very fortunate financially, but are pissy and moany when it comes to their tax dollars going to certain things.

And not just their own tax dollars, they get weird about how others spend their money / time on these things.   Years ago I volunteered for a Habitat for Humanity project.   I swear to the FSM a very well off individual I knew thought it was terrible that I spent my time on that project.   That I was helping some undeserving (in their mind) single mother.   Ok if you (general you) don't want to give your money and time to these causes/effort, that's one thing though complaining about it doesn't reflect well on you.  But to get pissy about someone else doing that with their own time and money?   I thought that was a whole new level of offensive IMHO.

Back to Steve, at no time have we seen him drive any effort, for himself or on behalf of his family. to really help others.  He sat in his compound, behind his computer screen, or upfront in the conferences/nursing home raining judgement on everything and everybody according to his bizarre worldview.    I really wonder how he gets on with his fellow church members and his pastor which I suspect isn't very well.    One would think he and Teri might have more of a social life being connected to a church but we never hear of anything unlike Sarah / Kory and Mary / Sam with their churches.  Maybe that's one of the reasons for the conference they are planning to show up at, maybe it's a need to get back into their "old environment" in the face of so many changes (read: loss of control) in recent years.  

• Upvote 13

I have this fantasy that Sarah and Kory gave a fun, food filled, kick-ass Super Bowl party for family and friends.

Further that Kory watches football and/or helps coach a Pop Warner team. Sarah goes to the games. to cheer on the kids and support Kory. She's also  learning about the game so that watching the Super Bowl was really fun for her because she understood what was going on.. 

What's more Stevehovah knows about the football watching/ coaching and the party ......... and there's NOTHING he can do about it.

A girl can dream can't she.

• Upvote 12

In today's Seriously email Steve is still bitching about football.  Seriously Steve if your son in law loves football mind your own fucking business!

Last week we considered the impact of the American male’s idol – football – on the hearts of professing Christian men. As our society spirals and you remain steadfast, be prepared to be considered peculiar if you don’t share the same idols. “Looking for that blessed hope, and the glorious appearing of the great God and our Saviour Jesus Christ; Who gave himself for us, that he might redeem us from all iniquity, and purify unto himself a peculiar people, zealous of good works” (Titus 2:13-14).

Will we be longing for our Lord’s return and busy about His business or having a great time while our Master is away? He gave Himself for us. Will we give ourselves for Him? The more of the “worldly stuff” we are involved in and has our hearts, the more pulled away from being steadfast in the faith we are likely to be. Paul had just warned them “Be not deceived: evil communications corrupt good manners” (1 Corinthians 15:33). Don’t be deceived. Worldly influences will corrupt our hearts and walk. That is why Paul commanded us to be “stedfast, unmoveable,” and to do that we must always abound in the work of the Lord.

Therefore, my beloved brethren, be ye stedfast, unmoveable, always abounding in the work of the Lord, forasmuch as ye know that your labour is not in vain in the Lord” (1 Corinthians 15:58).

• Eyeroll 4
  • Thank You 6

God forbid an American male simply enjoy a football game. 🙄

• I Agree 7

7 minutes ago, Loveday said:

Or a woman. :wink-kitty: Imagine Stevehovah walking in on a group of his female  extended  family members cheering loudly as they watch a football game. :faint:

Edited by WhatWouldJohnCrichtonDo?
Removed duplicate word
  • Upvote 1
  • Haha 7

23 minutes ago, WhatWouldJohnCrichtonDo? said:

Or a woman. :wink-kitty: Imagine Stevehovah walking in on a group of his female  extended  family members cheering loudly as they watch a football game. :faint:

Not sure his heart could stand the strain!😖

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 2

That Football is eeeeevvvviiiiillllll post  -  dear Rufus

I believe Steve is directly talking trash smack about Kory's father, Kory, and all of his siblings who play/ enjoy sports. Probably Sarah too as she's now "extended family", not a real Maxwell.

• Upvote 8
  • I Agree 2

Can you imagine if 1 of the Maxwell ladies deconstructed like Jill Duggar did? In order to have proper, healthy boundaries, Jill had to basically separate from her parents.It would probably be a little easier for Sarah as she lives out of state. Even Jinger, for how pleasant and respectful she is about her parents in the media, doesn’t ever go out her way to take the girls to the TTH, spend holidays or vacations on JB’s turf. Once these adult offspring figure it, they are in the driver’s seat as far as the relationships go. 

I hope Anna M finds somewhere to be far away from her dad and KS-

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 3

The home school family “conference” Steve and Teri  are doing on March 8 & 9 is right around the corner.

I still think the main reason for them doing this is to try and clear out their big basement and sell/get rid of all the printed books, charts materials they used to sell (even tho the materials are pretty obsolete and out of touch now). And it seemed to be timed during Anna’s Spring Break so he could get her to come help out.

It seems odd that the church Steve indicated they would hold the conference  at has not even mentioned it in their evens calendar.  The next event mentioned is an “Ignite Youth Conference “ in April.    

Wonder if the RSVPs Steve requested were minimal so he cancelled it?

• Upvote 5

7 minutes ago, Hellothere said:

The home school family “conference” Steve and Teri  are doing on March 8 & 9 is right around the corner.

I still think the main reason for them doing this is to try and clear out their big basement and sell/get rid of all the printed books, charts materials they used to sell (even tho the materials are pretty obsolete and out of touch now). And it seemed to be timed during Anna’s Spring Break so he could get her to come help out.

It seems odd that the church Steve indicated they would hold the conference  at has not even mentioned it in their evens calendar.  The next event mentioned is an “Ignite Youth Conference “ in April.    

Wonder if the RSVPs Steve requested were minimal so he cancelled it?

He promoted it in his last email.

• Upvote 3
  • Thank You 4

If my father put that out there, and my husband's late father was a football coach, we'd have a problem.  Shame on the rest of his family, including his wife, for not telling him to remove the posts and knock it off.  His posts are disrespectful to Sarah, Kory, and Kory's family. 

Side note:  Steve, go to bible study.  The verses you post never have anything to do with what you're saying.  You have no grasp of Scripture.  But then again, extremists never do. 

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 6
  • Thank You 1

Terified couldn't remind Stevehovah to order pizza.

She certainly isn't going to tell him to remove his talking trash-smack post on his own blog.

She wouldn't dare.

• Upvote 10
  • I Agree 6

3 hours ago, Red Hair, Black Dress said:

Terified couldn't remind Stevehovah to order pizza.

She certainly isn't going to tell him to remove his talking trash-smack post on his own blog.

She wouldn't dare.

They're all bible illiterate except for the daughters who went to bible school and watched sports.  2 Timothy has a verse about the athlete playing by the rules.  Corinthians talks about the runner winning the prize.  It even mentions the boxer.  There were sports in biblical days.  Wrestling dates back to before Christ.  So does polo which was a team sport.  Artifacts have shown that even women participated in polo. 

• Upvote 9

On 2/19/2024 at 1:05 PM, nokidsmom said:

One would think he and Teri might have more of a social life being connected to a church but we never hear of anything unlike Sarah / Kory and Mary / Sam with their churches.  Maybe that's one of the reasons for the conference they are planning to show up at, maybe it's a need to get back into their "old environment" in the face of so many changes (read: loss of control) in recent years.  

This is interesting, isn't it? How old are they now?

My parents have, since they retired a few years ago, been super active at church. And that's not just attending services. That means going on trips with the "Jubilant Seniors" to see plays or concerts, or go apple picking, or things like that. And having banquets for Valentines day and other holidays. Also they are part of 2 other local groups with monthly dinners out (plus an additional evening out with the cousins from one side, and another quarterly dinner out for mom with "the girls" she went to high school with), travel with groups both on day trips and longer ones pretty regularly, and just are always busy. My dad gets probably 10 times more phone calls than I do. And that's counting any spam calls I get. 

Maybe Steve just doesn't share anything that might go against his "be miserable or go to hell" theology, but surely Teri at least would enjoy some sort of social interactions once in a while? I'm pretty introverted and still enjoy an occasional dinner with friends. 

23 hours ago, Loveday said:

I think Steve is more like "God forbid anyone enjoy anything!"

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 7

Didn't someone post that Terri is on the missions committee at their church? I suppose a committee would probably only meet once a month or so. It's something, at least. 

• Upvote 6
  • Thank You 1

3 hours ago, WhatWouldJohnCrichtonDo? said:

Didn't someone post that Terri is on the missions committee at their church?

Yes, she was on the committee (scroll down) as of a couple of years ago. She actually looks pleased to be there.

• Upvote 5
  • Thank You 2

On 2/23/2024 at 6:10 PM, hoipolloi said:

Yes, she was on the committee (scroll down) as of a couple of years ago. She actually looks pleased to be there.

Checked and yes, she does look happy.  Gotta wonder if Teri is the one who is insisting on attending the church and leaving Steve to his grousing about it but she's going anyway.    While she swigs a Pepsi 😄

On 2/23/2024 at 2:42 PM, Alisamer said:

This is interesting, isn't it? How old are they now?

I think they are around 70?  Maybe someone else can chime in on that. 

I really think that now that all of their prisoners have been released er, kids have left the compound, they, or likely Teri, actually needed other things to do. 

Sorry to use the prisoner analogy, but I always thought that those kids, especially the girls, were just really, really stuck.  Not just in their parents home but there was very little to show that they wanted anything else.  Seems like they finally did, not sure what the catalyst(s) were but that's the downside of not being a fly on the wall.   Just really glad that the girls got out and Sarah in particular was one who really needed to have some distance IMHO.   

• Upvote 14

It’s interesting that it’s the girls who are traveling, going to school, going on mission trips, living away from Kansas, etc. 

The boys are all living fairly conventional lives, and all are living within driving distance from their childhood home. 

• Upvote 13

In this episode of "The Idiot Speaks" he says "I found out this was his part-time job, but his full-time “job” was playing poker. Poker was the PASSION of his life. (BTW — If he was good at it, he wouldn’t need a part-time job, would he?)"  Um, nitwit?  Perhaps he has the job because they offer him health insurance?  My daughter had a part time job that gave health insurance when she was at University for her Masters.  Let's not judge, Steve. 

• Upvote 9

15 minutes ago, theologygeek said:

Let's not judge, Steve. 

I'm not sure if Stevehovah could continue to exist if he couldn't judge.

Sort of like the old René Descartes joke.

Spoiler

(For anyone who has forgotten, René Descartes is famous for philosophizing, "I think, therefore I am."

043d13c9b4d4_reneDescartes-iThinkNot_small.png.bd0ebc3f5a72720f9a722da7e4e4af4a.png

Stevehovah criticizes, therefore he is.

Edited by WhatWouldJohnCrichtonDo?
  • Upvote 4
  • Haha 7

I imagine he talks at, not to these gentlemen. Of course no one can be as perfect as Steve. And he wouldn't give them a chance to say, I don't get to church as often as I want, but I still believe in Jesus. He is so smugly sanctimonious.

I love to learn from people. I met a cashier at a c-store. He was in his mid 50’s, well groomed, and pleasant. I was engaging him to get to know him and take the conversation spiritual, if I could. I found out this was his part-time job, but his full-time “job” was playing poker. Poker was the PASSION of his life. (BTW — If he was good at it, he wouldn’t need a part-time job, would he?)

Another man about the same age, with whom I’ve been dialoguing is an alcoholic. Alcohol isn’t his passion, but it is his go-to for comfort. Somehow he can hold a job, but as he put it,  “Life is real hard.” I asked him if life was hard because of bad decisions he had made. He agreed. My heart breaks for both of these men.

• Upvote 8
  • WTF 1

• Coconut Flan locked this topic