IGNORED

Harry & Meghan 11: She's a Scarab Beetle

Coconut Flan

4 minutes ago, Jackie3 said:

So much understanding extended to Phillip and so little to Meghan! I guess racism is more forgivable than eating avocado toast.

There were men with far less privilege and money than Phillip who somehow figured out how to be kind, tolerant and caring. He doesn’t get a pass for being a jerk simply because he was royal.

Honey, work on reading comprehension. That post is about Prince Albert. 

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 13
  • I Agree 1
  • Thank You 1

6 hours ago, QuiverFullofBooks said:

Thank you, that was interesting. The Coburgs (and their relatives the Hanoverians) were a very inbred family. Practically everyone seems to have married a cousin. The worst example is that Prince Albert’s stepmother Marie was his cousin (and his wife’s cousin). Marie was her husband Ernst’s niece. At least they didn’t have children, and they married when she was 33 and he was 48, making it much less creepy than it could have been.

Yeah, very creepy. But if your dating pool for an eligible spouse has the size of a washing bowl, than it is inevitable.

18 minutes ago, Jackie3 said:

So much understanding extended to Phillip and so little to Meghan! I guess racism is more forgivable than eating avocado toast.

There were men with far less privilege and money than Phillip who somehow figured out how to be kind, tolerant and caring. He doesn’t get a pass for being a jerk simply because he was royal.

This was a post about Prince Albert of Saxe-Coburg-Gotha, a guy that died some 160 years ago. And not Prince Phillip Mountbatten, he wasn't even mentioned in my post. You should work on your reading comprehension a little bit, you can even do it while nibbleing on an avocado toast. And should this be a complain about my thread thrift, you can roll it up und put it where the sun never shines. Thread thrift is a honored tradition here on FJ.

Edited by klein_roeschen
needed clearing up some gibberish
  • Upvote 7
  • Haha 4
  • I Agree 3
  • Love 2

“When people like us care for someone, there is sure to be some little detail in their family tree that prohibits the marriage, and thus it is that in our family man and wife are related to each other twenty times over. The result is that half of the children are idiots and epileptics”   

Franz Ferdinand on the Habsburg marriage laws

Other than them being Catholics it one of the reasons  Queen Victoria never married one of her own children in that line. 

• Thank You 2

I have been surprised that some of the press coverage has been noting that Meghan is coming across as insecure and uncomfortable.  It could be that since she is not being actively offensive, they have to portray her as offended or hurt.

I am told Meghan almost buckled when informed she would be sharing a car with Sophie – after all, she had expected to drive in with her husband Prince Harry. But when he agreed to walk behind the coffin of the late queen all that changed, causing Meghan to have, some say, a slight "moment." 

One can only assume what her thoughts were. After all, Sophie knows more than most, having spent years in PR previous to her royal life, just how demanding, distracting and downright self-centered faded queens of showbiz can be. But to say the car ride was like a trip on a roller coaster on Coney Island would be an understatement.

Meghan Shaken by Car Ride 

I think this is building way too much out of a car ride.  I don’t suppose this is the first time Meghan has been in a car with someone she was not comfortable with. Funerals (and weddings and other such events) often put even non-famous people in close quarters with relatives they are not comfortable with, and we survive.

There are even rumors that Meghan may skip the funeral.  That sounds like nonsense to me.

• Upvote 3

I think the Jubilee and now the Queen's Funeral will give Meghan an opportunity to compare and contrast her experiences with the Royal Family.  Maybe now she will see that she really was welcomed to the Family when she got married but it was only after she started the interviews that she has seen what not being welcomed is like. 

• Upvote 6

13 hours ago, Jackie3 said:

I'd like to see women wearing shoes that allowed them to walk strongly and confidently, without the help of a man.

I was surprised but kinda liked that Princess Anne wore the full on military uniform with trousers and sturdy dress shoes. The youngest granddaughter, Lady Louise, who is I guess just old enough to participate in everything, 18?  worse some low heels. I can’t imagine walking around on rocks in those stilettos most of them wear. Even at my youthful best I would of for sure face planted. 
More random opinions — I think Harry and Andrew both should of worn military uniforms if they wanted. It’s all just convoluted ceremonial stuff anyway. And both did more actual military service than the others - 
— Despite all the fuss about handholding - at least Zara and her husband, and possibly Beatrice and her husband - were photographed holding hands at the same exact ceremony. The fact Harry and Meghan are the only ones who get shit for it is kind of exactly the problem. 

• Upvote 5

Because most all Royal Women and girls wear dresses or skirts much more often than pants going about Royal duties and start on low heels pretty young walking in them is natural to them. 

Edited by tabitha2
  • Upvote 2

Well I would expect many if not most people to be shaken and uncomfortable in funerals and related events.   There were people on the street who were shaken and they'd never met the queen. Somebody just died.... and even if it was someone you had not met often there are lots of  mourners and emotions may be contagious.And it's by nature a moving situation.

I went to the funeral of one of my husband's relatives. It was during the lockdowns and funerals were restricted to ten people so it was just his only son's family there,  and Mr Grace and me, and the priest. Now, I had seen the dead man exactly twice in my life and spoken with him maybe twenty minutes altogether,  so we were not close.. Even so I was shaken and  the funeral made me cry. It was just something about the situation, someone died and there were so few people to mourn you, to send you off. Elizabeth had the opposite send-off with the huge crowds but it must be emotional in another way.

• Upvote 6
  • Love 1

34 minutes ago, TN-peach said:

I think the Jubilee and now the Queen's Funeral will give Meghan an opportunity to compare and contrast her experiences with the Royal Family.  Maybe now she will see that she really was welcomed to the Family when she got married but it was only after she started the interviews that she has seen what not being welcomed is like. 

I doubt it — Most often, when people have a grievance, they see everything that happens as confirmation of that grievance.  She may tell herself that she was not wrong, that they didn’t like her and only pretended and now they are showing their true colors.

From what that last interview suggested, she still feels like the aggrieved party who is owed an apology.  How much is the fault of the press and how much is the fault of “The Firm” in her mind is not clear, but her anger at the RF was not abated when she gave that interview.  All this talk about being able to forgive sounds as hollow from her as from Fundies, though for different reasons. 

• Upvote 5

She looks "fish out of water" to me part of the time and just fine for the circumstances part of the time.  It's a rough week and a half of grieving, her husband grieving, missing the kids apparently, and a ton of protocol and pageantry.  Who would want to do that?  Not to mention doing it with people you know you've ticked off or who you think have it in for you.  Leave the BRF to avoid the strict protocol, rules, and press and bad luck end up having to deal with the longest and biggest spectacle she could ever more than likely have to handle.  

Edited by Coconut Flan
  • Upvote 14

29 minutes ago, tabitha2 said:

Because most all Royal Women and girls wear dresses or skirts much more often than pants going about Royal duties and start on low heels pretty young walking in them is natural to them. 

My comment about men offering their arm to women in heels was not really about the Royals.  I was thinking of my own “adventures in heels” in the past.  It’s a help, when wearing heels, to have an arm to hold on to if the pavement is cracked or the stairs are slippery.  (It was also, when I was a teen, more “grown up” than hand-holding, so my boyfriend would offer me his arm when we dressed up for proms and such. )  

• Upvote 2

Today I learned that American pancakes are different to ours. And apparently my Grandmother had the exact same recipe as HM.

I don’t rate Buzzfeed Tasty as a very highly regarded foodie site, but I liked the commentary on this, probably because I’ve eaten ‘The Queen’s Pancakes’ all my life without knowing it lol.

https://www.buzzfeed.com/amphtml/jenniferadams2/queen-elizabeth-drop-scone-scotch-pancake-recipe

• Upvote 2
  • Thank You 2

26 minutes ago, adidas said:

Today I learned that American pancakes are different to ours. And apparently my Grandmother had the exact same recipe as HM.

I don’t rate Buzzfeed Tasty as a very highly regarded foodie site, but I liked the commentary on this, probably because I’ve eaten ‘The Queen’s Pancakes’ all my life without knowing it lol.

https://www.buzzfeed.com/amphtml/jenniferadams2/queen-elizabeth-drop-scone-scotch-pancake-recipe

This recipe sounds almost identical to the one my aunt and uncle used to make whenever guests came to stay. They lived near Philadelphia but were huge Anglophiles and traveled to Britain a lot, so I wonder if they got the recipe from English friends. The ones I make are similar, but I use Bisquick instead of flour/baking soda/cream of tartar. They come out looking a lot like the ones in the photos in your link, but now I've got to try the 'real' thing!😆

• Upvote 2

7 hours ago, Coconut Flan said:

She looks "fish out of water" to me part of the time and just fine for the circumstances part of the time.  It's a rough week and a half of grieving, her husband grieving, missing the kids apparently, and a ton of protocol and pageantry.  Who would want to do that?  Not to mention doing it with people you know you've ticked off or who you think have it in for you.  Leave the BRF to avoid the strict protocol, rules, and press and bad luck  racism, end up having to deal with the longest and biggest spectacle she could ever more than likely have to handle.  

Fixed that for you.

In general, it sounds like a typical family funeral. The scapegoat leaves to avoid the dysfunction, returns for a funeral,  has to deal with it all again, feels great relief upon returning home.

6 hours ago, Heidijoey said:

Oh, how ridiculous. The royal family is embarrassing itself. 

Lesson for the Palace: You can't punish Harry AND protect Andrew at the same time. The optics are terrible. World pressure will force you to choose one of the other.

And I thought this was supposed to be about the Queen.

• Move Along 2
  • Downvote 3

8 hours ago, Heidijoey said:

I had not understood that there were two vigils.  Makes sense to allow Harry to wear his uniform, even though in his case, he would not be the only grandchild in regular clothing.

I like the line about making him feel welcome.

4 minutes ago, EmCatlyn said:

I like it too, but I think that ship has sailed.

"You can't wear your military uniform despite your ten years of service. Your pedophile uncle can wear his, despite raping a teen." [Scorn from the world ensues]. Oh, OK, you can wear your uniform. After all, we want you to feel welcome." 

How welcome do you think this makes him feel?

• Move Along 2
  • Fuck You 1

This UK Broadcaster makes a lot of sense about the "Holding Hands Drama."

James O'Brien, a host on popular U.K. radio station LBC, said on air: "I bet you can't even imagine what these vicious vile individuals are complaining about today? They're definitely not racist. Oh no. No, no, no, we'd be this disgusting about anyone if they held hands on their way out of church. . . 

"A man who has suffered the unimaginable pain of being compelled to walk behind his mother's coffin in the eyes of the entire world held his wife's hand as they came out of a ceremony that would have brought back memory after memory after memory of the worst day of his life, or the second worst day of his life after discovering he'd lost his mum."

"Guess what happened when she had the cameras pointed at her," he continued, "guess what happened when the eyes of the British media and elements, disgusting shameful elements of the British public that treat her in the most unimaginably horrible way, guess what happened when she found herself back in that spotlight again? She took her husband's hand. And I will never know where these people get off."

‘Vicious, vile criminals have received less abuse and criticism from the British media than the daughter-in-law of the new King.’

There's more, but it's on audio and I didn't want to transcribe it. But it's good!

• Move Along 4

17 hours ago, Mama Mia said:

I was surprised but kinda liked that Princess Anne wore the full on military uniform with trousers and sturdy dress shoes. The youngest granddaughter, Lady Louise, who is I guess just old enough to participate in everything, 18?  worse some low heels. I can’t imagine walking around on rocks in those stilettos most of them wear. Even at my youthful best I would of for sure face planted. 
More random opinions — I think Harry and Andrew both should of worn military uniforms if they wanted. It’s all just convoluted ceremonial stuff anyway. And both did more actual military service than the others - 
— Despite all the fuss about handholding - at least Zara and her husband, and possibly Beatrice and her husband - were photographed holding hands at the same exact ceremony. The fact Harry and Meghan are the only ones who get shit for it is kind of exactly the problem. 

Re the hand holding. I agree that handholding is not breaking protocol or unheard of. ESPECIALLY for the royals that don’t work for the Crown. Much less scrutiny as well. H&M should get the same benefit. Those people also get much less privileges- titles for children, protection…… all the stuff H&M desperately fight for. I don’t care but I can understand why some like to point out this hypocrisy. Royals, especially the working ones (and all the females… hello sexism) get criticised for the stupidest stuff. The public loves to talk shit about privileged people. 

On 9/14/2022 at 11:54 PM, adidas said:

I agree that he has a massive chip on his shoulder, but at the same time I can see how this would be a catch-22 for him.

If he ignores it and says nothing, the tabloids go nuts with speculation and stories about how furious he is (according to a source close to the couple, of course 😉 ) but if he addresses it people will tell him that it was his choice to leave so he shouldn’t say anything. I think his statement was a thoughtful way to put the focus back on HM rather than his attire. I don’t think anyone here doubts that - despite the last couple of years - he is grieving and he wants to honour her.

I genuinely don’t care too much either way  re what Harry wears - I’m interested (and I’m keen to chat about it lol) but I’m not invested in it. I care more that Andrew is allowed to wear his uniform for the vigil. I understand the nuances in the situation but it doesn’t mean I have to like it, kwim? I’m much more opinionated when it comes to filthy disgusting pedophiles who should have been locked up and unable to attend because they’re behind bars. That’s where I’ll be perched up on my personal high horse.

I disagree because now it looks like as if he threw a public fit and had a temper tantrum at home till he got to wear a uniform after all. If it really didn’t matter he would be very probably in mourning suit like the rest of his cousins as well. And again he managed to make himself worse. If he hadn’t said anything at all I would be much less inclined to think he desperately tried to get the permission.

Edited by just_ordinary
  • Upvote 2

And I still don't even understand why family members are expected or want to be in military uniform at their mother's/grandmother's funeral. Yeah yeah, royal customs and traditions, I know, but primarily you're not there standing guard because you're a top ranking soldier in her majesty's army but you show up mourning because she was a valued family member (I am assuming) who gave birth to you or your parent. So what the heck have army uniforms even got to do with it?

Edited by AmazonGrace
  • Upvote 8
  • Love 1

It's pretty embarassing from Harry's perspective since he seems to be particularly involved with veterans charities. 

Still....I also don't get why it matters that much since the UK doesn't have a tradition for people out of military to wear uniforms. 

I think he'd be better off channeling grannie and just not commenting on this stuff. No matter what he says it draws attention. So just don't say anything.

For all that people complain about Meghan influencing him, it really seems he's channeling Diana who aired a lot of dirty laundry/brought things to the court of public opinion

• Upvote 6

5 minutes ago, WatchingTheTireFireBurn said:

For all that people complain about Meghan influencing him, it really seems he's channeling Diana who aired a lot of dirty laundry/brought things to the court of public opinion

Yes, the apple doesn't fall far from the tree here. But what he/ they don't realize, they lack the public addoration that Diana had with her charity work. With that, she was in a far better position to be the victim in the public court of opinion while he looks like a whining, entitled brat.

• Upvote 12

In all of the videos I've seen of Meghan at the funeral activities, she appears to me to be extremely nervous: constantly messing with her hair and  hanging onto Harry's hand like a lifeline.

I won't speculate on why she is so nervous, but I do have some ideas.

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 3

Just a bit of trivia, but it's a morning suit not a mourning suit.  It's UK formal dress for men for weddings, funerals, etc.

• Upvote 6
  • Thank You 5

8 hours ago, EmCatlyn said:

I had not understood that there were two vigils.  Makes sense to allow Harry to wear his uniform, even though in his case, he would not be the only grandchild in regular clothing.

This is the first monarch since Edward VII to have grandchildren at the time of their passing that are not all small children. Even his grandchildren were young by comparison. So this has been added. The precedent would be Charles, Andrew, Edward and David standing vigil for the Queen Mother in 2002. It likely wasn't in the Queen's original plans due to not knowing how long she'd live and how old her grandchildren would be. She was 10 when her grandfather died and Charles was 3 when his grandfather died. 

I see this as a time to remember that at the time H&M left, the Queen's statement said they would always be "much loved" members of her family. A funeral, no matter how public, is a family event. People need to calm down. The royal watching web has lost its collective mind in the last week. So Harry wears a uniform for 15 minutes. No one will die from that. (And no, they aren't wearing evening gowns and tiaras for the Sunday night reception. And no, the funeral should not be for "working royals" only. And, no, these decisions are not being made for, because of or by freaking Meghan Markle). 

• Upvote 7

• Coconut Flan locked this topic