IGNORED

Harry & Meghan 11: She's a Scarab Beetle

Coconut Flan

39 minutes ago, rosamundi said:

domiciled in the United Kingdom and not disqualified from becoming monarch. The four people who meet that criteria currently are William, Harry, Andrew and Beatrice. I

Is Harry still considered a UK resident?

Edit: Answering my own question

If Prince Harry ceases to be a British subject or is no longer domiciled in the United Kingdom, he shall become ineligible to be a counsellor of state and would be replaced by Princess Eugenie.[5] In February 2022 however, Prince Harry renewed his lease on Frogmore Cottage in the UK, meaning he continues to be domiciled there

says, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Counsellor_of_State

So you just have to have an address in the UK regardless of whether you live there most of the time?

Edited by AmazonGrace
  • Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, AmazonGrace said:

Is Harry still considered a UK resident?

Yes, apparently he renewed the lease on Frogmore Cottage recently which means he's still regarded as domiciled here.

• Upvote 1

It occurs to me as I watch the procession (a bit late) that the gnashing of teeth and Pearl clutching here over royals having military roles is , quite frankly,disrespectful of another country and culture’s traditions. The monarchy has always had the role heading the military for ceremonial purposes thus family members having ceremonial roles within branches and units. It’s really not our right to question or criticize just because our system does not function in the same way. 

• Upvote 15
  • I Agree 4
  • Thank You 1

Their system with all its archaic confusing protocols, rules and traditions obviously works for them and the majority of the  public or the British monarchy would have gone the way of France, Russia and Italy long ago. BRF History is fascinating if a little creepy and a bit trainwrecky, The Jewels, gowns and pageantry are very beautiful and the museums and cathedrals bring tourists. 

As a side note if Queen Victoria had not cleaned up after the frankly nasty and hedonistic extravagant Hanoverians and repackaged the RF as the ideal British model of virtue, proprietary and happiness they probably would not be here today.

• Upvote 4

3 minutes ago, tabitha2 said:

Their system with all its archaic confusing protocols, rules and traditions obviously works for them and the majority of the  public or the British monarchy would have gone the way of France, Russia and Italy long ago. BRF History is fascinating if a little creepy and a bit trainwrecky, The Jewels, gowns and pageantry are very beautiful and the museums and cathedrals bring tourists. 

As a side note if Queen Victoria had not cleaned up after the frankly nasty and hedonistic extravagant Hanoverians and repackaged the RF as the ideal British model of virtue, proprietary and happiness they probably would not be here today.

Edward VII pushed the direction of public service by supporting charity, arts and culture as well. He doesn’t get the credit he deserves there. 

• Upvote 10
  • I Agree 1

21 minutes ago, louisa05 said:

It occurs to me as I watch the procession (a bit late) that the gnashing of teeth and Pearl clutching here over royals having military roles is , quite frankly,disrespectful of another country and culture’s traditions. The monarchy has always had the role heading the military for ceremonial purposes thus family members having ceremonial roles within branches and units. It’s really not our right to question or criticize just because our system does not function in the same way. 

Absolutely agree with this. Every country has its own culture, its own way of doing things in situations like this, why is Britain the one that's getting all the harsh criticism here? 

6 minutes ago, tabitha2 said:

Yes.. I put it down to Prince Albert more so than Victoria, but your point still stands.

Edited by Loveday
clarity
  • Upvote 3

Yes! Like Phillip Albert was a  practical man and found the wasteful ridiculous out of date Royal palace system just impossible. He wanted his children, esp his heir,  to be frugal, useful and capable as to be better than the useless foppish in fighting in debt past Royal children. 

• Upvote 7

22 minutes ago, Loveday said:

Absolutely agree with this. Every country has its own culture, its own way of doing things in situations like this, why is Britain the one that's getting all the harsh criticism here? 

Because they’re the ones in the spotlight. 

And i find it funny that criticizing a colonizing monarchy is suddenly insulting a country’s culture and traditions. The minute we’re not allowed to discuss the pros and cons of the monarchy it becomes a lot more like a dictatorship. 

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1
  • I Agree 2

So no uniform for Andrew as he walks behind the coffin. Everyone can relax [emoji849]

Did someone tell the Scobie character or has he moved on to rant about something else?
  • Haha 5

1 minute ago, viii said:

Because they’re the ones in the spotlight. 

And i find it funny that criticizing a colonizing monarchy is suddenly insulting a country’s culture and traditions. The minute we’re not allowed to discuss the pros and cons of the monarchy it becomes a lot more like a dictatorship. 

The Commonwealth nations who desire to can remove the monarch as head of state, many have. The roles in the military are British roles, not roles in the other countries of the Commonwealth. If the British people object, they can end the monarchy. They have not. Polling consistently shows the majority are in favor of it. Therefore, it's not for other countries' citizens to bitch about. Pretty simple really. The U.S. prides itself on the constitutional principle of civilian power over the military, thus, our civilian leaders do not wear uniforms. I think that is playing into the complaints. I also think the rampant and destructive militarism that emerged here in the wake of 9/11 where serving members and veterans are worshiped as superior citizens, the national anthem and flag are perceived not as symbols of the country but exclusively belonging to the military, and questioning that emphasis is regarded as not being patriotic is playing into American opinions on the matter as well. 

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 3

Nah. People are free to comment on other countries if they please, whether they belong to the commonwealth or not. Gate keeping an institution with a bloody, colonizing past seems like an odd choice to me. (and I say that as someone who has always tended to be pro royalist.)

Edited by viii
  • Upvote 3
  • Move Along 1

Back to the hand holding - Harry and Meagan were the only ones holding hands walking out.  IMO, that is what most people comment on.   Everyone else seems to be able to walk with their spouse without constantly holding hands it stands out that Harry and Meagan are the only ones that can't seem to be able to do it.  For me it looks needy and co-dependent but I can see how for others seem to think it seems sweet.  Me, I am more of a "time, place, and tradition" sort of person. 

• Upvote 4
  • Move Along 1
  • Downvote 1
  • Love 1

I’ve seen plenty of couples hold hands during funerals because they’re drawing strength from one another. With these two, though, it’s constant and so it diminishes the significance and just seems more needy. 

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, louisa05 said:

Well after all , the presidents of many countries that are not monarchies  become the commander in chief of the military forces even if they've never served a day personally and have no particular military expertise.

• Upvote 3
  • Thank You 1

5 minutes ago, prayawaythefundie said:

Really, who cares? Let them hold hands if they want to.

Really, who cares about any of this. We snark on everything they do as a point of discussion, not because people care lol. 

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 1
  • I Agree 1

Its not the handholding it’s the tired unending “Well M&H did so and so they must be so much happier and more in lurrve!! than W&K”  and Visa Versa

• Upvote 2

I did think Meghan looked a bit unsure of herself as she went into Westminster Hall without Harry. And nervous. I fully expected to see her clinging to Harry as soon as he showed up.

• Love 1

@viii I don’t think there is a problem discussing the complicated past. It has been an ongoing, lively and sometimes heated discussion for years. The question is if this week is the right time. 

I don’t think there is a problem with H&M holding hands. Especially since they are there in a private capacity.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1
  • Confused 1

42 minutes ago, tabitha2 said:

Its not the handholding it’s the tired unending “Well M&H did so and so they must be so much happier and more in lurrve!! than W&K”  and Visa Versa

It's the constant clinging and the notion so many have (not just in regard to those two) that "real" couples hang on each other 24/7. Hell, we had one person here explain that PDA is required for a "healthy relationship". Not true at all. 

• Upvote 4

5 hours ago, AmazonGrace said:

I don't understand why Harry not being a working royal has anything to do with wearing a military uniform.

Surely there are tons of military people who wear uniforms even though they are not, and never have been,  working royals.

It's not like the other royals have seen combat. Andrew aside, they've all sat on their bums or done brief military service with lots of special privileges.

• Move Along 1
  • Downvote 2

6 minutes ago, just_ordinary said:

@viii I don’t think there is a problem discussing the complicated past. It has been an ongoing, lively and sometimes heated discussion for years. The question is if this week is the right time. 

When you limit discussions though, that’s unhealthy. I’m incredibly sad the queen is dead but that’s because I come from a place of privilege where she has never negatively impacted my life. However, a lot of the indigenous community aren’t sad that she’s gone because she represents the figurehead of a dangerous institution that has caused a lot of harm to them. It’s not my place to say whether or not this week is appropriate for them to discuss.

The Queen is beloved by many but not by all and that’s okay. 

• Upvote 7

7 minutes ago, louisa05 said:

It's the constant clinging and the notion so many have (not just in regard to those two) that "real" couples hang on each other 24/7. Hell, we had one person here explain that PDA is required for a "healthy relationship". Not true at all. 

You must be in middle school. I felt the same way, then. Holding hands was icky. 

When I grew older, I realized that couples have different ways of showing affection, and if it works for them, it's OK.

When you hate someone, though, (for rejecting the royal family, for example) then hand holding can easily be transformed into "clingy" or "desperate." 

It's far better, (and more honest) to say what you really think:

"How dare a mixed race woman be unhappy as a duchess! The nerve of her!".

That's far more honest than, "She's holding his hand the wrong way." If you are afraid to say that, then you have to focus on the color of her dress or her method of holding hands or how she. breathes (spoiler: she breathes wrong). 

• Fuck You 1
  • Downvote 4
  • Eyeroll 2

• Coconut Flan locked this topic