• I Agree 3

8 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

I read it like “god girl! My LA”

Wouldn't that be Jinger😉

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 5

• 1 month later...
On 2/26/2024 at 6:20 AM, HereticHick said:

I think there is also a lot of pressure nowadays on fundy Christians to get married early and start having white Christian babies. Lots of quiverfull sentiment even if they aren't saying it out loud.

[Just like the pressure on ultraOrthodox Jews to marry early and start breeding ASAP]

Well in this case, not “white” entirely.   Religious takeover for sure - just not limited to that demographic, or that religion. 

The bride is still in High School, since they didn’t wait until a post-grad June wedding, I’m thinking there may have been pressure to hurry things up for other reasons.

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, Mama Mia said:

The bride is still in High School, since they didn’t wait until a post-grad June wedding, I’m thinking there may have been pressure to hurry things up for other reasons.

According to Myla, she’s done with high school.

Spoiler

image.thumb.jpeg.bae2458988faa8fd43dec05fbe970ca8.jpeg

• Upvote 4
  • Thank You 1

Assuming she graduated at 17, wouldn’t that mean that she’s been out of school for a year ? Even if she managed to graduate at 16, it would still only be 1.5 years, hardly « years ». 

• Upvote 3

23 minutes ago, JDuggs said:

According to Myla, she’s done with high school.

Hide contents

image.thumb.jpeg.bae2458988faa8fd43dec05fbe970ca8.jpeg

My bad. I just saw the reports that she was. That makes more sense then. I just couldn’t understand why you’d have a wedding - and it looked like a nice wedding- AND Prom and Finals and Graduation in that order.  Pregnancy is obviously the 1st thing that comes to mind with a high school bride, but military, parents moved, etc could be other reasons. 

• Upvote 3

She might’ve gone to homecoming as the date of someone still attending the school. But she is young though. Even if she graduated early. She’s still barely a legal adult. 

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 1

She posed for Homecoming pictures with Ethan. Maybe “officially” they were both guests of current students, or maybe the school has very lax rules about who can attend. She turned 18 a couple of weeks before the wedding. I think they wanted to be married and the Seewalds are all about young marriages, so it was not only approved, it was encouraged (at least from his side).

• Upvote 3

In Australia, you have to file a 'notice of intent to marry' at least a month before you marry, and you have to be eighteen to do that. The youngest wedding I have attended was one month and one day after the bride's 18th birthday. The couple had both been home schooled and met at church, did 'courtship' and were encouraged by their parents to get engaged quickly. They were pretty mature kids but neither had so much as been out to a movie with anybody else.

Anyway, they're divorced now and she seems happy. 

• Upvote 11

6 hours ago, Smee said:

In Australia, you have to file a 'notice of intent to marry' at least a month before you marry, and you have to be eighteen to do that. The youngest wedding I have attended was one month and one day after the bride's 18th birthday. The couple had both been home schooled and met at church, did 'courtship' and were encouraged by their parents to get engaged quickly. They were pretty mature kids but neither had so much as been out to a movie with anybody else.

Anyway, they're divorced now and she seems happy. 

Welp, and apparently divorce can happen at any age. Today’s headline is “Golden bachelor is getting deevorced after three months of marriage.” He is 74. His soon-to-be ex is 70.

I’ve never watched a single bachelor episode from any season but of course enough entertainment headlines made sure everyone knew of the golden bachelor. I think it’s funny he’s getting divorced. What a farce. 

Edited by Cam
  • Upvote 4

5 hours ago, Cam said:

Welp, and apparently divorce can happen at any age. Today’s headline is “Golden bachelor is getting deevorced after three months of marriage.” He is 74. His soon-to-be ex is 70.

I’ve never watched a single bachelor episode from any season but of course enough entertainment headlines made sure everyone knew of the golden bachelor. I think it’s funny he’s getting divorced. What a farce. 

I think if they do any more Golden Bachelor(ette) seasons, they need to consider the geography of the contestants. It's one thing for a 25 year old to pick up and move across the country for a relationship on the regular Bachelor(ette), at an age when a lot of people move for school/work/relationships. But for people in their 70s with kids and grandkids and long-established social circles (and in Theresa's case, a long-term job she wanted to keep), I just don't see it working well.

• Upvote 10
  • I Agree 1

15 minutes ago, OHFL2009 said:

I think if they do any more Golden Bachelor(ette) seasons, they need to consider the geography of the contestants. It's one thing for a 25 year old to pick up and move across the country for a relationship on the regular Bachelor(ette), at an age when a lot of people move for school/work/relationships. But for people in their 70s with kids and grandkids and long-established social circles (and in Theresa's case, a long-term job she wanted to keep), I just don't see it working well.

Oh, those shows care only of money making ratings. They care not if a relationship works out after the season is over. This golden couple had a big televised wedding, right? Additional big money there for the network. Probably for the couple, too. Sure, they can get hitched, make some big bucks and just get divorced a few months later. I’m sure it was all planned out. 

• Upvote 9

7 hours ago, Cam said:

Oh, those shows care only of money making ratings. They care not if a relationship works out after the season is over. This golden couple had a big televised wedding, right? Additional big money there for the network. Probably for the couple, too. Sure, they can get hitched, make some big bucks and just get divorced a few months later. I’m sure it was all planned out. 

Well, they have to return the rings. Apparently, this is the case for the entire franchise if the marriage doesn't last two years.

Gerry is 72, not 74. And a giant fraud. 

Edited by marmalade
  • Upvote 4

For me the key word is „choice“. In the end swimming against the current is harder than going with it. Whether that is a couple from a fundamentalist background who goes against the norms in their circles or a secular Western couple who decides to get married after high school.

• Upvote 4

13 hours ago, marmalade said:

Well, they have to return the rings. Apparently, this is the case for the entire franchise if the marriage doesn't last two years.

Gerry is 72, not 74. And a giant fraud. 

Where I live, it is very common for widows/widowers in their 70s and 80s to date and/or remarry (and I don’t live in a retirement community). So I saw no kind of novelty in the golden bachelor whatsoever. I forget which FJ thread discussed how sometimes for no reason at all, you can dislike a celebrity, and plenty were named. Well, I never cared for GB Gerry Turner from the first commercial I saw him in. His age has nothing to do with it. I just found him off-putting. 

My own mother in law was widowed in her 60s and went on to have three different long-term boyfriends up into her 80s. I know some women who’ve been widowed numerous times and continue to date. They don’t like being without a man. These women are financially stable, so it’s about companionship, not money. Whatever the reason, tho, there’s no judgement from me.

Edited by Cam
  • Upvote 4

58 minutes ago, Cam said:

Where I live, it is very common for widows/widowers in their 70s and 80s to date and/or remarry (and I don’t live in a retirement community). So I saw no kind of novelty in the golden bachelor whatsoever. I forget which FJ thread discussed how sometimes for no reason at all, you can dislike a celebrity, and plenty were named. Well, I never cared for GB Gerry Turner from the first commercial I saw him in. His age has nothing to do with it. I just found him off-putting. 

My own mother in law was widowed in her 60s and went on to have three different long-term boyfriends up into her 80s. I know some women who’ve been widowed numerous times and continue to date. They don’t like being without a man. These women are financially stable, so it’s about companionship, not money. Whatever the reason, tho, there’s no judgement from me.

My grandma divorced my grandfather then remarried a few years later. He died and then she remarried again. He also died so she got herself a boyfriend. They are still in a relationship and they are 90. They never bothered getting married. I don’t think she wanted a 4th marriage and neither wanted to move out of their home and into the other person’s home. So they just often spent their days together, went out to eat, and took trips together. My mom is dating a widower. I hope they never get married. Neither want to move out of their house. I know my mom can’t live with anyone. She’s too independent. So I don’t want her to even try. It would be too stressful. I don’t understand why marriage is the ultimate goal for so many people. Why can’t you just have a happy and meaningful relationship without marriage? It’s something that often bugs me. I wish long lasting non marriage relationships were seen as just as valid as a marriage. 

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 2
  • Love 3

40 minutes ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

My grandma divorced my grandfather then remarried a few years later. He died and then she remarried again. He also died so she got herself a boyfriend. They are still in a relationship and they are 90. They never bothered getting married. I don’t think she wanted a 4th marriage and neither wanted to move out of their home and into the other person’s home. So they just often spent their days together, went out to eat, and took trips together. My mom is dating a widower. I hope they never get married. Neither want to move out of their house. I know my mom can’t live with anyone. She’s too independent. So I don’t want her to even try. It would be too stressful. I don’t understand why marriage is the ultimate goal for so many people. Why can’t you just have a happy and meaningful relationship without marriage? It’s something that often bugs me. I wish long lasting non marriage relationships were seen as just as valid as a marriage. 

They have since combined their households under one roof, but I know a married couple who bought and lived in side by side apartments in an Australian dive resort town. Each had their own apartment and this is an arrangement that seemed to work for them for years. I think each apartment had two bedrooms.

• Upvote 3
  • Love 1

8 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

I'm in a long-term committed relationship but unmarried. We own our house together and share finances. Marriage never really mattered to either of us. We used to get a lot of questions, as if it's anyone's fucking business. Same with the fact that we didn't have kids (by choice). People need to learn how to fuck right off better.

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 4
  • Love 2