IGNORED

Seewalds 47: Actions have Consequences; Sponsor Backlash Due to Jessa's Homophobia

HerNameIsBuffy

LOL this discussion reminds me of one time a friend and I stopped at some random place in the mountains to pee. We went in the bathroom, and it did have stall dividers... at about shoulder height while seated. We were laughing so hard, there on the toilet like "so... how ya doing?" 

I prefer to poop at home if at all possible, but peeing I have no real issues with. Growing up with two sisters and only a 2 bathroom house, plus then going to a women's college with 4 suitemates sharing a bathroom and senior year a hall bathroom... I got over any shyness pretty quick. For years there I was in the habit of calling out "flushing!" whenever flushing if the shower was running. Even now as adults my mom and sisters and I will sometimes go in a "one hole" bathroom together just to speed up the process so one person can wash hands while the next one pees. 

• Upvote 7

4 hours ago, HerNameIsBuffy said:

As long as you're going in the bathroom your standards are just fine!  There is nothing wrong with using the bathroom for what they're intended.  I wish I were more comfortable with that sometimes because we have a two stall ladies room at work and I stalk it to make sure it's empty before using it due to a shy bladder.

Although, can I just say to the people that want to chat through the stall walls while doing business...NO!  Do not ask who's in the other stall, don't speak to me directly when you recognize my shoes, and just generally don't even think about me while relieving yourself!  😂

oh, I hate this! who can pee and talk at the same time?! Seriously.

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 1

The Romans, apparently.

Communal bathroom at Ephesus, built circa 1st C AD. Not my photo, btw, the concept of communal social toilets bothered me enough I chose not to photograph them - but I still remember them!

I’m not sure I would have managed living in a Roman City 2000 years ago.

DB590BEC-9B50-4FA9-9990-C4FA62D66F6A.jpeg

Edited by sndral
  • Upvote 11
  • Thank You 2

My college hangout bar had two toilets, no dividers, and a sink. If the bar was crowded and girls needed to go, you weren’t really guaranteed the right to privacy.

• Upvote 1
  • WTF 1

IBS...I'll go anytime anywhere. Privacy is not an issue either. I don't think I've gone alone since 1981

• Upvote 2
  • Thank You 1
  • Love 1

2 hours ago, feministxtian said:

IBS...I'll go anytime anywhere. Privacy is not an issue either. I don't think I've gone alone since 1981

I can totally relate to this. I have Crohn’s disease which means doing what I need to do in a public bathroom is a daily occurrence sometimes. I try to use the more private disabled ones if I can and then called out by someone telling me I don’t look disabled! Oh for the comfort of being able to hold on until I get home.

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 13

In infant schools (age 2.5-6, part of primary school) in Belgium communal (tiny) toilets are common so that the teacher can keep an eye as needed. Like this:

image.png.e3f24eb6b1cd804c637c0d62cd30ab62.png

or this: image.png.9e4fb16eff2fc20cfd29de3769f87ead.png

• Upvote 8
  • Sad 1
  • Thank You 4

8 hours ago, feministxtian said:

I am not overly picky - but when we were travelling in Peru - there was a whole day that I swear the pee-gods were against me. One place - had a toilet - no seat. And no walls - so nothing to help you hover - just a toilet in the middle of a room. The next place - the toilet paper was on the OUTSIDE of the stall so I guess you had to preplan? There was another place with no stall doors. And another place that was just FILTHY. Honestly - I was ready to pee on the side of the road!! 

I can hover if I have to (I really prefer not to) and I have peed in some questionable spots (including outside) but that day... the pee-gods were not smiling on me. 

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Lollipopgirl said:

I can totally relate to this. I have Crohn’s disease which means doing what I need to do in a public bathroom is a daily occurrence sometimes. I try to use the more private disabled ones if I can and then called out by someone telling me I don’t look disabled! Oh for the comfort of being able to hold on until I get home.

We went to a science fiction convention in December. (Vax and masks required in all public areas.) There was limited seating in public areas and signs by the seating reading "Not all dissabilities are visible." 

• Upvote 5
  • Love 16

40 minutes ago, Meggo said:

the pee-gods were not smiling on me. 

That's because they're mad at their job assignment.  You move up the ranks and finally get promoted to a god.  You hope for some cool position like being the overload for guitar players, or world peace, and you get put in charge of urinating.

I wouldn't smile either.

• Haha 30
  • Love 1

For a great deal of my adulthood I've had a recurring theme type of dream where I'm in public and cannot find an available toilet. Sometimes they are all in use or sometimes they may all be filled to the brim with sewage. Sometimes there will be a labyrinth of stalls but something is wrong with each toilet or else they are all in the open. Every single time I wake up and sure enough, I need to get up and go to the bathroom. My need to go will cause the dream, I guess. Once in a while my dream has me in a meeting and sitting on a toilet with my pants down trying to go. I'll be the only one in the room like that, kind of like the ubiquitous naked-in-the-grocery-store (or wherever) dream.

Please someone tell me they have similar dreams. Please?

• Upvote 9
  • Haha 2
  • I Agree 9

16 minutes ago, Bobology said:

For a great deal of my adulthood I've had a recurring theme type of dream where I'm in public and cannot find an available toilet. Sometimes they are all in use or sometimes they may all be filled to the brim with sewage. Sometimes there will be a labyrinth of stalls but something is wrong with each toilet or else they are all in the open. Every single time I wake up and sure enough, I need to get up and go to the bathroom. My need to go will cause the dream, I guess. Once in a while my dream has me in a meeting and sitting on a toilet with my pants down trying to go. I'll be the only one in the room like that, kind of like the ubiquitous naked-in-the-grocery-store (or wherever) dream.

If it's any consolation, I have the exact same ones. 😂

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 3
  • Thank You 1

1 hour ago, Bobology said:

Not bathroom related but I've had several dreams where I live my life working, grocery shopping, driving, but I'm in a bathtub the entire time I'm doing it. I'll be sitting behind my desk in the bathtub, it glides down the hallway to take me to the lunch room.... it fits in my car somehow. Go figure but I've had it several times! 

• Haha 17

I have the usual ones where I'm suddenly naked in public and no access to clothes.  If they change into this you'll be hearing from my attorney  :) 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 6

yes! It's usually a warning that I really have to pee. They will usually wake me up to go. 

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 2
  • Thank You 1

4 hours ago, Meggo said:

I am not overly picky - but when we were travelling in Peru - there was a whole day that I swear the pee-gods were against me. One place - had a toilet - no seat. And no walls - so nothing to help you hover - just a toilet in the middle of a room. The next place - the toilet paper was on the OUTSIDE of the stall so I guess you had to preplan? There was another place with no stall doors. And another place that was just FILTHY. Honestly - I was ready to pee on the side of the road!! 

I can hover if I have to (I really prefer not to) and I have peed in some questionable spots (including outside) but that day... the pee-gods were not smiling on me. 

Peru is definitely pretty random when it comes to bathrooms. Seats are not guaranteed. You might have to get the paper from outside the stall before you go in (Cusco airport had this) or buy some from an attendant on the way in (Machu Picchu). And wherever you go you can't flush the paper. And even if the bathroom seems OK, there very well may be no soap or any way to dry your hands. I carry a pack of tissues and some little soap sheets with me.

I have those exact same dreams, the ones where there are either very few toilets, or more often there are toilets everywhere but they're all full up, or filthy, or broken, or somehow not usable. And if you do get into one, someone always opens the door or there's an out of order sign or something else happens to make it not usable. It always means I need to wake up and pee. 

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 1
  • Thank You 1

Since I am in So America, a lot, and even own a home there, I am very familiar with the lack of facilities and the pre planning necessary. Always, always, always carry Tp or a Kleenex when using the facilities outside your home. Every time I come back to my home In CA, I have to stop and think, flush the paper or not.

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 1

7 hours ago, medimus said:

In infant schools (age 2.5-6, part of primary school) in Belgium communal (tiny) toilets are common so that the teacher can keep an eye as needed. Like this:

My daughter's preschool had this setup too (in the US, ages 3-5)! I thought it was ideal for kids who hadn't quite mastered the whole toileting process. There was also bathroom stalls with half-doors so the teacher could check on things (the kids didn't seem to mind, they rather enjoyed  being able to see what was going on).

• I Agree 1

My GD’s nursery school had those small commodes and communal set up. When she was 2 and the school was potty training others, my GD initially refused to go. She told the teachers, “ my mom knows I only use the BR at home.” Yes, she is a stubborn cuss- she eventually got over it but still has the bladder of a camel. Wish I could say the same!

• Upvote 2

I would recommend getting a female urinal funnel if you're going to be somewhere with filthy toilets/no toilets. That way you can pee anywhere. They do take some practice getting used to, but they are handy. 

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 2

18 hours ago, viii said:

Not bathroom related but I've had several dreams where I live my life working, grocery shopping, driving, but I'm in a bathtub the entire time I'm doing it. I'll be sitting behind my desk in the bathtub, it glides down the hallway to take me to the lunch room.... it fits in my car somehow. Go figure but I've had it several times! 

^^^This dream totally cracks me up! Sounds like something you’d see in a commercial, but for what product I have no idea!

I’ve occasionally had the dream about needing to use the bathroom and all stalls are out of order for various reasons. Supposedly this type dream has to do with an overload of stress in your waking life, that you have pent up emotions not being dealt with which are threatening to overflow and cause havoc. 

In general, dreams about water are about your emotional state, and I’d consider a toilet dream at least partially a water dream. 

More often I have the dream where I have no shirt on in public and in my mind I’m trying to figure out where I can find clothes to put on. I think this has something to do with insecurity, vulnerability, being judged and/or being unpreparedness for a situation.

• Upvote 4

17 hours ago, Jackie3 said:

My daughter's preschool had this setup too (in the US, ages 3-5)! I thought it was ideal for kids who hadn't quite mastered the whole toileting process. There was also bathroom stalls with half-doors so the teacher could check on things (the kids didn't seem to mind, they rather enjoyed  being able to see what was going on).

My oldest had this setup at her preschool, and the 3yo teacher was notorious for not keeping a close watch on the kids who were in the bathroom (e.g., lots of flooding sinks and making messes). A parent walked into the bathroom one day at pickup to find her son and another little boy standing close together with their pants down and their penises touching. When the mom asked what they were doing, her son happily replied, "We're making letters! See, this is an X!"

Fortunately, it was a parent who had a good sense of humor and a solid understanding of healthy child development, so there was no wailing to the director about shutting down the school or firing the teacher. 

Edited by cacophony_grey
Typo
  • Upvote 5
  • Haha 5

What does it mean if you have a dream where it is 1) a communal toilet type room; 2) where the dividers only go halfway up your torso; AND 3) you are not wearing a shirt ?

Asking for a friend..... 🤪

• Haha 7

On 2/16/2022 at 11:54 AM, HerNameIsBuffy said:

As long as you're going in the bathroom your standards are just fine!  There is nothing wrong with using the bathroom for what they're intended.  I wish I were more comfortable with that sometimes because we have a two stall ladies room at work and I stalk it to make sure it's empty before using it due to a shy bladder.

Although, can I just say to the people that want to chat through the stall walls while doing business...NO!  Do not ask who's in the other stall, don't speak to me directly when you recognize my shoes, and just generally don't even think about me while relieving yourself!  😂

Before we moved our office, the women's restroom for the entire 2nd floor only had two stalls - one for wheelchair users and the other a regular stall.  2 stalls for the entire floor, mostly made up of women!  So I identify with you, in that I used to try to use the bathroom when no one else was in there, but it was often impossible.

As to your request that no one talk to you from another stall -- reminds me of the Seinfeld episode where Elaine asks for some toilet paper from the next stall, and was told that her neighbor "didn't have a square to spare."

• Upvote 2

On 2/17/2022 at 8:11 AM, medimus said:

The toilets were child sized in the bathroom near my son’s preschool classroom. The other bathrooms in the building were normal sized. I went to the small bathroom once and tried to use it. I noped on out of there. They were way too low! I felt like I was sitting on the ground. 

• nelliebelle1197 locked this topic