IGNORED

Webster4Eva 11: They don't know it's not vitally important to teach a 5 year old how to choose a man

HerNameIsBuffy

1 hour ago, patsymae said:

On things like pants, yes. And Kelly is certainly more engaging. But if one of her kids decided to convert to Catholicism or become a Mormon, or marry a Jewish person or a Hindu, or register as a Democrat, or support reproductive rights? I don't see Kelly smiling so much.

As I'm writing this I reminded myself of a conversation with an ex-Amish woman who told me that in her (admittedly on the more liberal end of the spectrum) community, parents stop the shunning and welcome their errant kids back in their lives when the grandchildren are born. Because, she said, they hope to be able to influence the grandchildren to come back into the fold. For what that's worth.

This is sort of the way the Catholic Church operates. Be nice to kids to bring them back into the fold and to try to get the grandchildren in the fold. 

That being said I can't see a kid raised with technology and modern dress giving it up to be Amish!

• I Agree 1

1 minute ago, Bluebirdbluebell said:

This is sort of the way the Catholic Church operates. Be nice to kids to bring them back into the fold and to try to get the grandchildren in the fold. 

That being said I can't see a kid raised with technology and modern dress giving it up to be Amish!

YOu got that part about the Catholic Church right (I'm an off-again on-again mostly lapsed). And I might agree with you about people giving it up but -- and we're certainly seeing now with the popularity of authoritarism overall-- it seems to be very appealing to a lot of people to know that if you just follow the rules-- and you don't have to think about them, they are all laid out--you will be safe and secure and a whole community will have your back.

• Upvote 5

My Italian grandparents were very Catholic... shocking I know. They had 4 children (1 of them being my dad). I'd say my uncle (eldest son) raised his kids the most Catholic, then my aunt and other uncle didn't raise their kids Catholic at all. My dad sent my sisters and I to a Catholic school, (in Ontario Canada, the Catholic schools receive better funding compared to Public schools) however he was not upset when my sisters and I chose not to get Confirmed. Actually he never really followed the religion as an adult. He got my sisters and I baptized and made us do our First Communion "to keep his parents happy" but didn't care at all when we chose to not continue with the religion. I remember my grandfather being upset that I didn't want to get Confirmed and my dad explained to him that I was old enough to make that decision and that the Catholic faith wasn't for me. I think my dad wished he could've made that decision back then but he was forced into it. 

It's interesting to see how the next generation would follow a religion or not. I can't see any of the Bates children giving up their faith but I am sure in the future some of the grandkids may be more likely to go on a different path. 

• Upvote 4

Off topic, but it isn’t true that Ontario’s Catholic schools are better funded.  There is a per pupil funding formula in Ontario.  Catholic vs Public doesn’t affect the budget - things like geography and amount of students with special needs do.  

https://peopleforeducation.ca/public-education-in-ontario/how-education-is-funded/

Edited by ContrastingButtons
Clarity
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, ContrastingButtons said:

Off topic, but it isn’t true that Ontario’s Catholic schools are better funded.  There is a per pupil funding formula in Ontario.  Catholic vs Public doesn’t affect the budget - things like geography and amount of students with special needs do.  

https://peopleforeducation.ca/public-education-in-ontario/how-education-is-funded/

Yep. Where we lived previously, I chose to send my kids to the public school because it was a much newer school, with a really good fundraising record. Then we moved and now my kids go to Catholic school because of the two schools in our area it is the better school with better fundraising/community engagement. 

My ILs are European immigrants and devoted Catholics. My husband is defintiely not. We baptized our kids, did first communions etc. For my MIL's sake.

• Upvote 1

On 8/2/2022 at 4:36 PM, ContrastingButtons said:

Ahh I should've noted I was in school from the mid 90s to late 2000s. Also I am from the Niagara region and at least back then the Catholic schools were better. But thanks for the link I'll read into it. 

• Upvote 1

On 8/2/2022 at 3:48 PM, irish_dancing_canadian said:

My Italian grandparents were very Catholic... shocking I know. They had 4 children (1 of them being my dad). I'd say my uncle (eldest son) raised his kids the most Catholic, then my aunt and other uncle didn't raise their kids Catholic at all. My dad sent my sisters and I to a Catholic school, (in Ontario Canada, the Catholic schools receive better funding compared to Public schools) however he was not upset when my sisters and I chose not to get Confirmed. Actually he never really followed the religion as an adult. He got my sisters and I baptized and made us do our First Communion "to keep his parents happy" but didn't care at all when we chose to not continue with the religion. I remember my grandfather being upset that I didn't want to get Confirmed and my dad explained to him that I was old enough to make that decision and that the Catholic faith wasn't for me. I think my dad wished he could've made that decision back then but he was forced into it. 

It's interesting to see how the next generation would follow a religion or not. I can't see any of the Bates children giving up their faith but I am sure in the future some of the grandkids may be more likely to go on a different path. 

Being a western (mostly cultural)catholic european myself, the sort of catholicism that is practiced in the usa is miles away from anything we  experience over here. Its like two whole different religions. The fundies we have here go into a convent or become priests  with all the hardships that come with that ( and lets be honest doesn't appeal to the us fundie type  at all. All our children are confirmed , yet we never go to church. Being from an cultural  catholic upbringing is a status symbol in.my country , the catholics have the best uni's and education in the world in my neck of the woods ( and almost free) The alternative is being muslim, from refugee background and going to public school. I am sad to say something that is being looked down upon majorly  , as" they "are percieved as leeching from our social system without any input. Dont shoot the messenger here plzz . But yes 60% of my country has non european roots and 80%is muslim , and that happened the last 20 years. It is a very difficult exercise. And there are way more refugees incoming. This cannot be solved, it will only make people voting more extreme right  wing  uhg 

Edited by ven
Meh

So the Websters are getting one of Katie and Travis's puppies, which surprises me as I would think a puppy is too much work/mess for Alyssa.

• Upvote 10
  • I Agree 6

48 minutes ago, CanadianMamam said:

So the Websters are getting one of Katie and Travis's puppies, which surprises me as I would think a puppy is too much work/mess for Alyssa.

I said this on the other thread but I think it will end up rehomed.

• Upvote 7
  • Sad 4

Agreed. A puppy would be a disaster in the Webster home. At best, banished to a doghouse in the sweltering Florida sun. 

• Upvote 13

49 minutes ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

I said this on the other thread but I think it will end up rehomed.

At the Paines’ home 

• Upvote 12

19 minutes ago, SassyPants said:

At the Paines’ home 

This is what I think too, Chad and Erin are going to end up with this dog eventually. 

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 1

Dan Webster is being primaried by Laura Loomer. She is attacking him for being old and frail and wearing a life alert necklace. Sure that will go down well with all the elderly of Florida. Apparently, it isn’t a life alert necklace, but a personal air ionizer. Both are terrible people, so let the mudslinging commence.

• Upvote 10
  • Thank You 1

36 minutes ago, Zebedee said:

Dan Webster is being primaried by Laura Loomer. She is attacking him for being old and frail and wearing a life alert necklace. Sure that will go down well with all the elderly of Florida. Apparently, it isn’t a life alert necklace, but a personal air ionizer. Both are terrible people, so let the mudslinging commence.

Laura Loomer recently tweeted that democrats believe in throwing newborn babies off Cinderella castle 🙄didn’t think there’d be many worse than Taliban Dan but here we are! 

• Upvote 6
  • Rufus Bless 1
  • WTF 5

3 minutes ago, front hugs > duggs said:

Laura Loomer recently tweeted that democrats believe in throwing newborn babies off Cinderella castle 🙄didn’t think there’d be many worse than Taliban Dan but here we are! 

What? Really? That's insane. I couldn't find a link, but I believe you! She's a nutcase.

4 hours ago, CanadianMamam said:

A neat freak like Alyssa with a puppy? I hope she doesn't crate the poor think constantly. Or, like Erika Shupe, limit its water so it doesn't pee too much.

I'm not sure if someone like Alyssa, who loves order and peace, will enjoy a puppy. She might be better off with an older dog. We've gone that route several times and it is *so much easier* than a puppy.

• Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, Jackie3 said:

What? Really? That's insane. I couldn't find a link, but I believe you! She's a nutcase.

I’ll keep looking for the tweet I had seen, in the mean time here’s another gem:

image.thumb.png.53e5611b74166b9419922bc4af5d6f12.png

• Upvote 2
  • Disgust 1
  • Eyeroll 1
  • WTF 8

What is "getting loomered"? What does it mean? Being forced to listen to her yapping?

Has she ever done anything to help children who have truly been exploited? Or is she just focusing on the terrors of Disneyworld?

• Upvote 2

Sounds like another member for the wackadoodle caboodle, the name I have given to the most out there members of Congress.

• Upvote 5
  • Haha 3

I can't imagine Alyssa with a puppy. Like other posters, I expect that it will end up at Erin's. That being said, I do have a friend whose mother is a real neat freak and they have always had dogs starting out as puppies. But I think she is unusual on that regard. She also only had one child not five. 

I have always had a dog. Mine are getting quite old. But I've decided that once they are gone we will likely wait a year or two until my kids are a bit older and there are fewer toys around for a puppy to chew. 

• Upvote 4

I do think this puppy could end up the best behaved Bates pet because I think Alyssa will enforce training. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, CanadianMamam said:

I do think this puppy could end up the best behaved Bates pet because I think Alyssa will enforce training. 

Best behaved or most beaten & left in a crate the longest?

• Upvote 5
  • Sad 2

My daughter just added a puppy to her family which also includes an 8 YO little girl, spouse and 6 YO dog. It’s a lot of work and they have half day help most days when they are at work( obviously they do NOT live in the US). A puppy is a full time job. We are visiting, and will be watching child, puppy and dog for the next 10 days while the parents are at work. Alyssa is not going to last-

• Upvote 1

• nelliebelle1197 locked this topic