IGNORED

(CW: CSA) Josh & Anna 49: Dialing More Numbers than Mommy's Robo-Calls

HerNameIsBuffy

2 hours ago, Queeen Victoria said:

A childhood friend was the oldest of 9, all Catholics.  In her late teens (mid 1960's) the family stopped going to the Catholic Church and converted to Baptist.  We had moved away by then so I don't know the details.

I don't have to know them to bet the true believers were insufferable.  There is no zealot like a Catholic turned fundy-lite.

• Upvote 9
  • I Agree 1

I just realized that I made a mistake.  The Bible that Grandma got me was The Way, not The Book.

25CB3900-E115-4A83-932D-7D98AAC9812E.jpeg

• Upvote 6
  • Thank You 3
  • Love 1

23 minutes ago, smittykins said:

I just realized that I made a mistake.  The Bible that Grandma got me was The Way, not The Book.

The guy on the bottom left looks like Kevin Tighe and now I'm picturing Roy DeSoto reading bible passages to Johnny Gage while on calls in Squad 51. 

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 9
  • Love 2

1 hour ago, smittykins said:

Oh yes, I remember this well. 

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 6

1 hour ago, smittykins said:

Somewhere, buried among many boxes of books, I still have a copy of The Way, given to me by my mother and inscribed with a verse from 1 Timothy. I also have a beaten up edition of Good News for Modern Man and an American Bible Society edition of the Good News Bible (which was given with the understanding it would be a collector’s edition someday). The illustrations in the Good News Bible are charming. 

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, smittykins said:

We were given copy of this at confirmation aged 13 in 1974. I’ve still mine somewhere. 

• Upvote 4

4 hours ago, OHFL2009 said:

The guy on the bottom left looks like Kevin Tighe and now I'm picturing Roy DeSoto reading bible passages to Johnny Gage while on calls in Squad 51. 

Oh my gosh, you’re right he does!

P.S. Love Emergency!

• Upvote 6
  • Love 5

On 1/14/2022 at 10:45 AM, HerNameIsBuffy said:

I just see him as beyond therapy.  I know it's not a kind point of view, but I think some people are beyond saving and he's one of them.

Had he not gotten away with it every time before, he might not be. But I think you're right

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 2

17 hours ago, Gobsmacked said:

We were given copy of this at confirmation aged 13 in 1974. I’ve still mine somewhere. 

I think we used that book in my Catholic HS in the early 70s.

• Upvote 1

20 hours ago, smittykins said:

I had that! 

• Upvote 3

22 hours ago, HerNameIsBuffy said:

I don't have to know them to bet the true believers were insufferable.  There is no zealot like a Catholic turned fundy-lite.

oof. So true. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, libgirl2 said:

I had that! 

My sister had that!  Talk about a blast from the past, I had forgotten that ever existed.  We also had the Dianetics paperbook in the basement and I still have no idea how that got there.  

• Upvote 4
  • Haha 2

9 minutes ago, HerNameIsBuffy said:

We also had the Dianetics paperbook in the basement and I still have no idea how that got there.  

I have a theory that all lost socks go to a different universe and are replaced here by copies of the Fleetwood Mac album Rumours, Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon, vintage aluminum knitting needles, or sometimes copies of Dianetics. 

I somehow own the two albums mentioned, on vinyl. Dark Side of the Moon in particular I KNOW I did not purchase, because I bought some other album at a yard sale (Billy Joel, I think) and when I got it home found Dark Side of the Moon had hitched a ride in there as well. 

All those things probably show my age. Are there things in other cultures or age groups that just seem to "show up" out of nowhere? Things nobody remembers buying, but somehow everyone has?

• Haha 22

8 minutes ago, Alisamer said:

I have a theory that all lost socks go to a different universe and are replaced here by copies of the Fleetwood Mac album Rumours, Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon, vintage aluminum knitting needles, or sometimes copies of Dianetics. 

I somehow own the two albums mentioned, on vinyl. Dark Side of the Moon in particular I KNOW I did not purchase, because I bought some other album at a yard sale (Billy Joel, I think) and when I got it home found Dark Side of the Moon had hitched a ride in there as well. 

All those things probably show my age. Are there things in other cultures or age groups that just seem to "show up" out of nowhere? Things nobody remembers buying, but somehow everyone has?

Ha, yes!  Every single person I knew as a kid had a copy of Frampton Comes Alive.  I think they came with the homes and there was some legal requirement to hold on to it.

• Upvote 4
  • Haha 10

3 minutes ago, HerNameIsBuffy said:

Ha, yes!  Every single person I knew as a kid had a copy of Frampton Comes Alive.  I think they came with the homes and there was some legal requirement to hold on to it.

I think I was the only person who didn't. 

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 3

18 minutes ago, Alisamer said:

soooo many aluminum needles!

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 4
  • I Agree 2

13 minutes ago, HerNameIsBuffy said:

I don't THINK I have that one... but my aunt does. 

I don't even have a turntable anymore and I'm not totally sure where my albums even are. But I know there's Dark Side of the Moon and Rumours in there. Frampton might have worked his way in there by now, too.

• Upvote 4

2 minutes ago, Alisamer said:

I don't THINK I have that one... but my aunt does. 

I don't even have a turntable anymore and I'm not totally sure where my albums even are. But I know there's Dark Side of the Moon and Rumours in there. Frampton might have worked his way in there by now, too.

I think my Dark Side of the Moon MAY be a cassette. The Rumors Album is definitely a CD. I have no vinyl because my dad (for some reason) hated everything to do with record players and I don't ever remember having them. Also - it would be lost on my parents who don't listen to music.

• Upvote 2

33 minutes ago, Gobsmacked said:

They held mass rallies in my Nana’s knitting bags. 

I inherited all of Grandma's knitting stuff (she did more sewing than knitting, but had a great stock of stuff). And I swear they all end up reproducing when you're not looking. 

• Upvote 4
  • Haha 6
  • I Agree 2

I admit not having Frampton Comes Alive, Rumours, or Dark Side of The Moon, but I have had Chicago IX(their first greatest-hits album)on vinyl, cassette, CD, AND 8-track.

Alas, no reel-to-reel. :pb_lol:

• Upvote 4
  • Haha 4

I can still hear the commercial for "Dianetics.... by L. Ron Hubbard."  I think it had like a fire or bomb on the front or in the commercial and I was scared of it. 🤣

• Upvote 7

15 minutes ago, fluffernutter said:

I can still hear the commercial for "Dianetics.... by L. Ron Hubbard."  I think it had like a fire or bomb on the front or in the commercial and I was scared of it. 🤣

Was that being mailed out at random in the 70s, kind of like AOL disks in the late 90s?  Trying to figure out why it was so ubiquitous.  

There was also a copy of the Late Great Planet Earth in our basement, which I need to google as I have no idea what that was about.  But it was on the shelf near the Dianetics book...but my mom wasn't organized enough for that to mean anything.

Just googled that book and it's co-written by a guy named Hal Lindsey which I confused with Hal Lindsay and couldn't figure out why the hell Barney Miller was writing books about end times?

Thankfully they are two different people so my love of Captain Miller and the guys at the 12th precinct can remain intact.

Edited by HerNameIsBuffy
  • Upvote 3
  • Haha 9

• HerNameIsBuffy locked this topic