IGNORED

(CW: CSA) Josh & Anna 49: Dialing More Numbers than Mommy's Robo-Calls

HerNameIsBuffy

16 minutes ago, AussieKrissy said:

Furry handbag is the female version of prison wallet. 

I learn so much on FJ

• Upvote 5
  • Haha 19
  • I Agree 8

8 hours ago, EmCatlyn said:

What I was taught (pre-Vatican II) was that if you were baptized at all you had to follow Catholic rules or end up in purgatory or hell. I know also that in 1979 a Catholic priest in New Orleans refused to marry a friend to her Episcopalian boyfriend unless they agreed to raise any children RC.

I do agree that RCs are a lot more inclusive, both in their idea of salvation and their employment practices, than Protestant fundies.  Every Catholic organization I have known will hire you regardless of your religion.  Several fundie organizations only hire fellow believers. 

You have to promise to raise the kids Catholic. Prior to Vatican II, they made it hard for non-Catholics to marry Catholics.  You don't actually have to be baptized as it is possible for Catholics to marry Jews.

It's not saying much for any "mainstream' religion they look better than fundies.

• Upvote 6

37 minutes ago, Bluebirdbluebell said:

You have to promise to raise the kids Catholic. Prior to Vatican II, they made it hard for non-Catholics to marry Catholics.  You don't actually have to be baptized as it is possible for Catholics to marry Jews.

It's not saying much for any "mainstream' religion they look better than fundies.

Yes, agreeing that you'll raise any children Catholic is part of the vows. Even if you're my 60+ grandmother getting remarried after having had a hysterectomy 25 years earlier. 🤣 

When she married my grandpa (late 1950s), he was Lutheran and converted to Catholicism before the wedding. The priest (my grandma's uncle) said he didn't have to convert if he didn't want to because he would write a letter asking the bishop for dispensation, but grandpa decided to convert anyway. He probably would have had to if the priest hadn't been related (and also a decent person). It didn't matter to my grandma, but great‐grandma cared. I think he just wanted to make peace in the family. In the end, he ended up being great-grandma's favorite son-in-law because the "good Catholic boys" who married into the family ended up being alcoholics.

• Upvote 15

11 hours ago, Jana814 said:

My parents still have a landline. It has been their number since they moved to New Jersey in 1974. I call the number all the time & so do many of their friends. 

I still have my landline with the same number from 1993, which is when we got married and got our phone service together.  My dad still has his landline as well.  Same number since the 60s.  Fittingly, my dad is the main person who calls me on my landline.  

Edited by HeartsAFundie
  • Upvote 10
  • Love 1

3 hours ago, Bluebirdbluebell said:

When my parents married in 1962, my dad was (and still is) Catholic and my mom was Episcopalian.  After my dad's request to marry my mom was turned down by the priest at the church my dad attended all his life, my parents were very fortunate to stumble upon a more liberal Catholic priest at a neighboring church who agreed to marry them.  However, they also agreed to raise their children Catholic which likely sealed the deal.  Both my sister and I were raised in the Catholic religion and my mom made the decision on her own in 1972 to convert to Catholicism after I made my First Communion.     

A funny story about my baptism:  My aunt and uncle-my mom's sister and her husband-were chosen to be my godparents and were Episcopalian and Baptist, respectively.  However, due to my uncle's job, they were living in Europe at the time and were unable to attend my actual baptism.  Therefore, my Catholic grandparents-my dad's parents-filled in as godparents by proxy.  However, it appears no one thought to ask if my aunt and uncle-the actual godparents-were Catholic.  I guess the priest, forgetting my mother was Episcopalian, just assumed they were.   This was early 1965 and pre-Vatican II and having Protestant godparents at a Catholic baptism would have been a big deal.   

I dare say I am probably one of the very few pre-Vatican II baptized Catholics with two Protestant godparents.  I also considered my grandparents who stood in by proxy as a second set of godparents, so I had four godparents instead of two.  Ironically, my dad's Catholic mom was originally Episcopalian and converted in the late 1930s to marry my grandfather.    

Edited by HeartsAFundie
  • Upvote 10

13 hours ago, Jana814 said:

My parents still have a landline. It has been their number since they moved to New Jersey in 1974. I call the number all the time & so do many of their friends. 

My husband and I have a landline in addition to our cell phones.  I usually give the “home phone” (the land line) to businesses and so forth I don’t want texting me.  My husband, on the other hand, gives his cell number, and thus gets lots of texts asking for money (donations), reminding him about civic events he is not interested in, and, of course, sales.

• Upvote 10
  • I Agree 1

Some interesting clips on the whole mixed marriage, raise the children as catholics things:

Dara Ó Briain comedy routine and some clips rom the RTE (Irish national broadcaster) archives from 1969, 1970 and 1980

https://www.rte.ie/archives/2015/0120/673983-mixed-marriages-1980/

https://www.rte.ie/archives/2015/0429/697527-mixed-marriages-and-the-catholic-church/

https://www.rte.ie/archives/2014/1205/664781-protestant-and-catholic-relationships/

• Haha 1
  • Thank You 4

We’ve had our landline since 1986. We own cell phones, but primarily for automotive emergencies. I don’t text, for anything, ever.  We screen all calls on the landline. I’m not jumping up because of an electronic bell.

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 4

My parents were married by a priest in NYC in 1963. They had to get married in the rectory instead of the church because my dad was both previously divorced and an Episcopalian. When I was born, their parish priest in Philly didn't want to baptize me because of the same situation. The mother told him "fine, I'll take her down the street to the episcopal church and get her baptized there". That would not have been an issue, my grandmother was a member there and at the time was very involved. She'd been a member there probably for close to 40 years by that point. The priest grudgingly agreed to baptize me, mostly to keep the Episcopalians from getting another one. 

The final run in I had with the RC church was my mother's funeral. That closed and locked the door for me. 

• Upvote 8
  • Sad 5

When my Protestant mother married my Catholic father, not only did she have to agree to raise any children Catholic, she couldn't have her own two sisters as her bridesmaids because they weren't Catholic! She had to have my dad's sisters.

Only a few years ago, my Catholic uncle died and the Catholic cemetery wouldn't sell my Protestant aunt a plot.  My cousin (whom she was forced to raise Catholic of course) had to buy it. So ridiculous.

• Upvote 4
  • Sad 2
  • Eyeroll 4
  • WTF 2

A funny story about my baptism:  My aunt and uncle-my mom's sister and her husband-were chosen to be my godparents and were Episcopalian and Baptist, respectively.  However, due to my uncle's job, they were living in Europe at the time and were unable to attend my actual baptism.  Therefore, my Catholic grandparents-my dad's parents-filled in as godparents by proxy.  However, it appears no one thought to ask if my aunt and uncle-the actual godparents-were Catholic.  I guess the priest, forgetting my mother was Episcopalian, just assumed they were.   This was early 1965 and pre-Vatican II and having Protestant godparents at a Catholicbaptism would have been a big deal.   

My father was stationed in England during WW II and became sufficiently friendly with some farmers in the area that they asked him to be their daughter’s godfather.    A fellow soldier later pointed out that as a Catholic he wasn’t supposed to be a godparent to a child who was not going to be raised Catholic. He checked with a priest who told him he would be very fortunate if that was the worst thing he ever did. Years later when he reunited with this family there was a picture in the Daily Mail of him holding his grown goddaughter. 

• Upvote 1
  • Love 14

My great-grandfather married a Protestant when he was Catholic and they did not raise the children Catholic. When the Depression hit the local priest told his Catholic boss he had to fire him. His mother ended up attempting suicide so as not to take food out of her grandchildren's mouth. The church has definitely come a long way.

• Upvote 2
  • Sad 13
  • WTF 1

My protestant mother married my catholic father in 1968. He was the first in eternity (!!) of his German family to marry outside the faith. His mother welcomed my mom with open arms BUT she insisted that the grandchildren be baptized catholic so we wouldn't go to hell. So we were and because my PCUSA church believes that any baptism is baptism in the eyes of God, it doesn't matter which brand of faith baptizes you. I guess everybody won. 😄

• Upvote 8
  • I Agree 4

There are some liberal Catholic priests out there that will perform ceremonies for those that aren't quite completely in line with doctrine. My great-uncle had his 5th marriage performed by a priest, complete with Eucharist, in a church. Same priest performed the wedding for my mom's cousin's second marriage, though that was outside and not in a church. They were nice ceremonies and the priest was pretty funny. He was at both receptions and he was very engaging. 

• Upvote 8

My Church of Scotland MIL married her Catholic Polish husband in the 1940’s. The night before the wedding her Vicar visited FIL to talk him out of the wedding. The same night FIL’s Priest visited MIL to try and talk her out of the wedding. They both sensibly ignored Vicar and Priest. The wedding went ahead. They were married for 30 odd years before FIL died in his early 60’s. They would both be over a 100 years old now. 

• Upvote 2
  • Love 16

The article linked below was in my newspaper today. It's about CSA and the people that try to catch the perpetrators and rescue the children involved. TRIGGER WARNING This is a professional piece of journalism but it is still really hard to read. I'm posting it here because the whole time I was reading it I had Josh Duggar in the back of my mind AND all of the other fundies doing their non-apology "prayers for the victims" statements. Josh Duggar was a part of this so Well Done and Thank you! to the Arkansas and US justice system for finding him out, prosecuting him and putting him behind bars may he rot there for the rest of his life.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/crime/300480216/stolen-childhoods-the-nz-team-saving-kids-from-sex-abuse-at-home-and-overseas

• Upvote 9
  • Thank You 3

I wonder if Josh has access to the Prison Bible. When my son was in county jail, he read quite a bit of it. Although he is a sophisticated reader, he appreciated the plain language and the lessons about topics that were relevant to him. Much more real than KJV, he said. 

• Upvote 9

13 hours ago, molecule said:

I wonder if Josh has access to the Prison Bible. When my son was in county jail, he read quite a bit of it. Although he is a sophisticated reader, he appreciated the plain language and the lessons about topics that were relevant to him. Much more real than KJV, he said. 

In the 80s "The Book" came out in the New Living Translation. It's a contemporary, easy to understand Bible version and still around today.  

https://www.amazon.com/Book-NLT-Tyndale/dp/0842332847

• Upvote 7

I’m also a product of a Catholic/Protestant union, but unlike most of the other responses I’ve seen, my parents actually took a more “liberal” (I guess?) approach to how my parents decided to raise me and my brother when it came to religion and spirituality.

My mom was raised Catholic, but had pretty much left the church by the time she married my dad.  I never really learned the exact reason why she left Catholicism, but I think part of it had something to do with her parents’ divorce not long after she finished high school (it was the second marriage for both of them), but I think more importantly she had already begun to see through the Church’s hypocrisy and practices and she figured she didn’t need a church to be close to God.  (She never joined a different denomination, but unlike atheist me she kept a belief in God right up until the Alzheimer’s started to ravage her brain).

My dad comes from a long line of Protestants, and although he identifies as a Southern Baptist (which pretty much all the white kids he grew up with as a boy in Florida were), he hasn’t attended church voluntarily in decades.  I’ve only seen him set foot in a church three times in my life: once to attend a passion play our family friends’ church was putting on while my brother and I were attending (voluntarily), and the other two were for weddings.  He hasn’t really talked a whole lot about his personal religious beliefs, but I did gather two bits of information.  Firstly, he stopped attending because the way the churches themselves operated were too bureaucratic and didn’t care so much about the worship itself.  Secondly (and I think more importantly), he came to the conclusion that if he wanted to talk to God, he didn’t need to go to church to do it.  (I do recall a couple of verses from Matthew where Jesus chastises public shows of prayer and worship, and that may be the scripture my dad used to justify his decision.  I had to google, but the verses I’m referring to are Matthew 6:5-6.)

Since they came from different religious backgrounds, the approach they ended up going with was to let us explore spirituality on our own and make our own decisions about the role of religion in our lives.  I ended up an atheist, while my brother is a sort of lax Baptist like my dad.  My sister-in-law even jokingly refers to my brother as an “atheist”, but the funny thing is she doesn’t even know that I’m an actual atheist (unless my brother has told her, which, then…I don’t care).  I don’t really talk about my atheism with my family, though.  Partly not to ruffle any feathers (I’m the liberal unicorn in an otherwise conservative family), but also because I believe an individual’s religious beliefs are very personal and as long as the person is not harming others, it’s just not worth criticizing them.  Considering I grew up at the very southern edge of the Bible Belt (in Central Florida), my family was probably more the exception than the rule.

On 1/14/2022 at 3:30 AM, EmCatlyn said:

As for Josh getting a Bible, I am not surprised.  I do wonder if it is KJV or if, for the first time, it is in a language he can understand.

What I’m wondering is, if it’s not a KJV, does he even recognize whatever version of the Bible he’s getting as a legitimate version of the Bible?

From the episodes of Leaving Eden I’ve been listening to recently, some more extreme fundamentalist Baptist group recognize the KJV as the only legitimate version of the Bible.  I don’t know if that applies to the IBLP, but I thought this was an interesting point.

• Upvote 4

I have always had a landline, with one corded phone for utility failure.  

My mother's Southern Baptist best friend married a Catholic man in the 1940's.  She flatly refused to even say she would consider raising her children as Catholic, and took them to Baptist church with her.  After many years, her husband started attending church with her, and before his death he converted to Baptist.  She was so happy.   His mother protested their marriage for most of her life, I think.  I never knew what his mother's name was; all I ever heard her called was "Haggie".  Maybe it was something close, maybe not.

Edited by SoSoNosy
  • Upvote 5

20 hours ago, HeartsAFundie said:

In the 80s "The Book" came out in the New Living Translation. It's a contemporary, easy to understand Bible version and still around today.  

https://www.amazon.com/Book-NLT-Tyndale/dp/0842332847

My grandmother gave me a copy in the mid-70s(I couldn’t find an image of it, but it had a groovy 70s font on the cover filled with contemporary photos).

My husband was a nonpracticing Catholic and I’m Episcopalian, and we married in my church.  He did go to church with me fairly regularly, but it eventually tapered off(he was another of the “you don’t have to go to church to worship God” types).  When he passed, I had my priest officiate at his funeral.

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 2

A childhood friend was the oldest of 9, all Catholics.  In her late teens (mid 1960's) the family stopped going to the Catholic Church and converted to Baptist.  We had moved away by then so I don't know the details.

• Upvote 2

My mum told me a story from 1946/47 ish. She would have been 12 or  13 years old. She arrived home from school to find a dining table stood temporarily in my Nana’s small kitchen. The story behind it was that a neighbour was having to apply for the Dole ( maybe called national assistance then)? A Means testing visit always occurred before a family could claim a paltry few shillings a week. Any way the family’s priest had visited the family earlier that day. He was known to tattle to the man from the Dole if families in need had any furniture / household goods they could sell first before applying.  The neighbours had all rushed round to the house and removed table, chairs, the sideboard and spare blankets etc so the man from the Dole wouldn’t find them when he went poking around. The family had young children. The father had been injured during the war and was struggling to find a job. The priest did nothing good, offered no help just tried to make things worse. Thankfully the ruse worked. The belongings were returned a week or so later once the Dole man had stopped snooping. My Nana and mum completely scorned the Catholic Church after that incident. 

• Upvote 16
  • Sad 2
  • WTF 1
  • Love 5

• HerNameIsBuffy locked this topic