IGNORED

(CW: CSA) Josh & Anna 49: Dialing More Numbers than Mommy's Robo-Calls

HerNameIsBuffy

About Christians in Josh’s jail getting rosaries: wouldn’t that be offensive to fundies?  They don’t believe in prayer repetition, and the rosary must be the epitome of Popish superstition to them. (Even many mainstream Baptists don’t consider Catholics “Christian.”)

As for the “prison rosary” on Amazon, I was surprised they advertise it as a “cheap rosary” when the price is $15 or so.  A truly “cheap” rosary costs less than a dollar. I understand that the prison rosary is made so it can’t be turned into a weapon. Maybe that costs more. I just wouldn’t call it “cheap” as rosaries go.)

As for Josh getting a Bible, I am not surprised.  I do wonder if it is KJV or if, for the first time, it is in a language he can understand.

• Upvote 10

I have a handful of numbers I know because they have had the same numbers for years. Plus my mother and father still have landlines. I could call my mother, father, mother in law, sister and husband by memory but after that I'm screwed. I couldn't even tell you what my best friends number starts with without looking it up, we have multiple exchanges here. 

• Upvote 8

6 hours ago, EmCatlyn said:

As for Josh getting a Bible, I am not surprised.  I do wonder if it is KJV or if, for the first time, it is in a language he can understand.

I hope it's a different translation, and he's bored enough to read it anyway. Maybe he'll understand some parts he didn't really before, or question all the legalistic stuff his parents espouse, or something. 

ETA: A co-worker's son did two stints in prison (mostly drug related) and in rehab after the last one he was encouraged to read the Bible. He felt he was getting something from it, but had a hard time with the language, and his mom asked me about different translations. I picked up one in a more modern translation from the thrift store for him, and he much preferred that one. 

Edited by Alisamer
  • Upvote 13

About Christians in Josh’s jail getting rosaries: wouldn’t that be offensive to fundies?  They don’t believe in prayer repetition, and the rosary must be the epitome of Popish superstition to them. (Even many mainstream Baptists don’t consider Catholics “Christian.”)

As for the “prison rosary” on Amazon, I was surprised they advertise it as a “cheap rosary” when the price is $15 or so.  A truly “cheap” rosary costs less than a dollar. I understand that the prison rosary is made so it can’t be turned into a weapon. Maybe that costs more. I just wouldn’t call it “cheap” as rosaries go.)

Yep, you can get cheap rosaries in a packs of 10 for a couple of bucks, I'm sure it's the breakaway functionality that adds to the cost.  

And I'm sure it does offend fundies, but I can't imagine the jail caring enough to tip toe around their sensibilities.  If they don't want to use it they don't have to.  Just like they give them a bible, if it's not KJV that would definitely offend some fundies as well, but they can just ask their chaplain or whatever and see if they can get one that way.

Even many mainstream Baptists don’t consider Catholics “Christian.”

A lot of non-denominational, mainstream evangelical don't either.  I'd say that opinion is far more prevalent in the fundylite realm than inclusivity.

It's not a common sentiment amongst mainstream protestants like Lutherans and Episcopalians, etc.  Fun fact, it's not the same in reverse, the RCC does consider fundies Christian.  To marry a Catholic you just have to be baptized in the Christian faith and any sect that recognizes Jesus as the divine son of God works.  

• Upvote 9
  • Love 1

32 minutes ago, Alisamer said:

I hope it's a different translation, and he's bored enough to read it anyway. Maybe he'll understand some parts he didn't really before, or question all the legalistic stuff his parents espouse, or something. 

ETA: A co-worker's son did two stints in prison (mostly drug related) and in rehab after the last one he was encouraged to read the Bible. He felt he was getting something from it, but had a hard time with the language, and his mom asked me about different translations. I picked up one in a more modern translation from the thrift store for him, and he much preferred that one. 

I would agree for most people, but given Josh's level of depravity I think he's beyond a different level of understanding making the difference.

• I Agree 10

10 minutes ago, HerNameIsBuffy said:

I would agree for most people, but given Josh's level of depravity I think he's beyond a different level of understanding making the difference.

Oh I don't think it would help with his predilections, but it might be beneficial for him otherwise. Like I feel like he needs some very serious therapy and help to effect that at all, if it's even possible. But I also kind of feel like all the fundie crap he's been taught all his life might get in the way of that, and if a different, more understandable, Bible translation helps him question that at all it might help him be more amenable to therapy. Maybe. 

It's not like he's gonna have much else to do, he might as well do some actual bible study and try to understand the thing. Not that I think he'd do something potentially beneficial like that, but it couldn't hurt for him to look at other translations and actually think about the things he was taught. 

• Upvote 6

5 minutes ago, Alisamer said:

Oh I don't think it would help with his predilections, but it might be beneficial for him otherwise. Like I feel like he needs some very serious therapy and help to effect that at all, if it's even possible. But I also kind of feel like all the fundie crap he's been taught all his life might get in the way of that, and if a different, more understandable, Bible translation helps him question that at all it might help him be more amenable to therapy. Maybe. 

It's not like he's gonna have much else to do, he might as well do some actual bible study and try to understand the thing. Not that I think he'd do something potentially beneficial like that, but it couldn't hurt for him to look at other translations and actually think about the things he was taught. 

I just see him as beyond therapy.  I know it's not a kind point of view, but I think some people are beyond saving and he's one of them.

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 28

1 minute ago, HerNameIsBuffy said:

I just see him as beyond therapy.  I know it's not a kind point of view, but I think some people are beyond saving and he's one of them.

He very well may be, sadly. 

• Upvote 5

1 hour ago, HerNameIsBuffy said:

Yep, you can get cheap rosaries in a packs of 10 for a couple of bucks, I'm sure it's the breakaway functionality that adds to the cost.  

And I'm sure it does offend fundies, but I can't imagine the jail caring enough to tip toe around their sensibilities.  If they don't want to use it they don't have to.  Just like they give them a bible, if it's not KJV that would definitely offend some fundies as well, but they can just ask their chaplain or whatever and see if they can get one that way.

A lot of non-denominational, mainstream evangelical don't either.  I'd say that opinion is far more prevalent in the fundylite realm than inclusivity.

It's not a common sentiment amongst mainstream protestants like Lutherans and Episcopalians, etc.  Fun fact, it's not the same in reverse, the RCC does consider fundies Christian.  To marry a Catholic you just have to be baptized in the Christian faith and any sect that recognizes Jesus as the divine son of God works.  

Yeah, I understand why the “prison rosary” would cost more.  My surprise was that Amazon would label it “cheap.”

I am also surprised that the jail, which is not in a heavily RC area, would hand out rosaries to all Christians.  I would bet that most of their staff doesn’t think Catholics are Christian.   Maybe some Catholic organization is donating them.

The Catholic church pretty much accepts all baptism as making you a Christian. Then they tell you that if you are baptized Christian and don’t practice Catholicism, you will go to Hell. It was a great incentive for not baptizing my kids.😉

• Upvote 1
  • Confused 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, EmCatlyn said:

Maybe some Catholic organization is donating them.

That would be my bet.  

9 minutes ago, EmCatlyn said:

Then they tell you that if you are baptized Christian and don’t practice Catholicism, you will go to Hell.

They have requirements if you're baptized Catholic, not Christian.  It's ironic that they think it's harder for a baptized Catholic to go to heaven than a non-Catholic but the indelible mark of (Catholic) baptism comes with obligations.

I've heard more than one priests say if Catholics think they're the only ones going to heaven you'll be very surprised to see all the others seated at the table ahead of you.

I have a million problems with the RCC but inclusivity in salvation is much higher than in the born again realm.

• Upvote 7
  • Confused 1
  • Rufus Bless 1
  • I Agree 1
  • Thank You 1

3 hours ago, Sullie06 said:

I have a handful of numbers I know because they have had the same numbers for years. Plus my mother and father still have landlines. I could call my mother, father, mother in law, sister and husband by memory but after that I'm screwed. I couldn't even tell you what my best friends number starts with without looking it up, we have multiple exchanges here. 

Off the top of my head, I could easily recite the numbers for a dozen different landline phones. Sadly, none of them (with the exception of mine) have been in use for years. Recently, I had a long-time neighbor call my landline with an emergency. We see each other regularly enough on the street but have not talked on the phone in decades - since our kids were small. She was overjoyed that she remembered the number and that it still worked.

ETA: With the exception of my own and my spouse's cell, I do not know any current phone numbers by heart, not even my kid's or grandkid's. My mother had the same landline phone number for close to 60 years and it stayed with her even when she moved. Her final move was out of the area, so she lost the number. For years after the final move, I would accidently call the old number when I wanted to talk to her. The lady that inherited that number was so kind to me and was always sweet when I made the mistake, which was frequently.

Edited by waltraute
  • Upvote 2
  • Love 11

18 minutes ago, HerNameIsBuffy said:

That would be my bet.  

They have requirements if you're baptized Catholic, not Christian.  It's ironic that they think it's harder for a baptized Catholic to go to heaven than a non-Catholic but the indelible mark of (Catholic) baptism comes with obligations.

I've heard more than one priests say if Catholics think they're the only ones going to heaven you'll be very surprised to see all the others seated at the table ahead of you.

I have a million problems with the RCC but inclusivity in salvation is much higher than in the born again realm.

What I was taught (pre-Vatican II) was that if you were baptized at all you had to follow Catholic rules or end up in purgatory or hell. I know also that in 1979 a Catholic priest in New Orleans refused to marry a friend to her Episcopalian boyfriend unless they agreed to raise any children RC.

I do agree that RCs are a lot more inclusive, both in their idea of salvation and their employment practices, than Protestant fundies.  Every Catholic organization I have known will hire you regardless of your religion.  Several fundie organizations only hire fellow believers. 

• Upvote 5

1 hour ago, Alisamer said:

He very well may be, sadly. 

I guess there's always hope. Sometimes correction is correctional and he may decide he wants to change.

• Upvote 4

My parents still have a landline. It has been their number since they moved to New Jersey in 1974. I call the number all the time & so do many of their friends. 

• Upvote 7
  • Love 1

5 hours ago, HerNameIsBuffy said:

To marry a Catholic you just have to be baptized in the Christian faith and any sect that recognizes Jesus as the divine son of God works.  

I think you still have to agree to raise the kids Catholic, though.

ETA:  After casually Googling “prison rosary,” I found not only those previously mentioned, but also rosaries made by prisoners  and The Prisoner’s Rosary.

Edited by smittykins
  • Upvote 3

40 minutes ago, Knight of Ni said:

Indulge me for a moment.

Can a prison rosary be stored in a prison wallet?

Some people are into that sort of thing…

• Haha 1
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, smittykins said:

I think you still have to agree to raise the kids Catholic, though.

ETA:  After casually Googling “prison rosary,” I found not only those previously mentioned, but also rosaries made by prisoners  and The Prisoner’s Rosary.

Yes, you do.

1 hour ago, Knight of Ni said:

Indulge me for a moment.

Can a prison rosary be stored in a prison wallet?

What's a prison wallet?

• Haha 1
  • Thank You 2

Wanna know what's fun?

When I look at the list of "unread followed" threads on fj, I see the first few lines of the most recent post on each thread I'm following.

Then I click on one of the threads and start way back where I left off, and as I read, slowly whatever I saw in that most-recent post starts to come into context and make sense.

Not that this has anything to do with prison wallets or anything... 

• Haha 11

• HerNameIsBuffy locked this topic