IGNORED

Jeremiah and Hannah: Finally Declared

Coconut Flan

18 minutes ago, imokit said:

I'm a single adult.  I have waterproof mattress protectors on all the beds (including the guest beds), just because life, periods, water spills happen and a mattress protector is easier to wash than a mattress.

Having been to enough births, it wouldn't occur to me that that level of protection would be enough to protect a mattress during a homebirth.

And vomit. My kids were not bedwetters but they did have some bouts of vomiting when they couldn't make it to the bathroom. The cost of a waterproof mattress protector is small price to pay to make sure nobody has to sleep on a mattress that smells like vomit.

(Can you tell that I have a very strong aversion to the smell of vomit? Change a diaper - no problem. Scoop the litter box - no problem. Manure smell drifting in the windows in the spring - tolerable. But cleaning up vomit? Nope, nope, nope.)

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 4
  • Love 3

48 minutes ago, pupper said:

(Can you tell that I have a very strong aversion to the smell of vomit? Change a diaper - no problem. Scoop the litter box - no problem. Manure smell drifting in the windows in the spring - tolerable. But cleaning up vomit? Nope, nope, nope.)

Word - I'm a sympathy puker. You puke - I will puke right alongside you. Solidarity.

• Upvote 7
  • Rufus Bless 1
  • I Agree 7
  • Love 2

Like everyone else, I dislike the smell of vomit. But I feel lucky that I don’t have a stronger aversion. My kids both have motion sickness so I’ve dealt with a lot of throwing up in the car. I don’t like it, but I can handle it pretty well. However I’m so incredible weird about poop. I’ve changed about a million diapers in my life and I’ll never get used to it. I hate hate hate it. I have a child that took years to potty train. It was hell.  

• Upvote 2

We have waterproof mattress protectors bc we have cats and a dog.  Accidents and spills happen. 

No births, home or otherwise, in 24 years, over here.  

• Upvote 4

Puke, pee, poop, I’m good. But respiratory secretions bother me. And people who spit in public, so gross.

• I Agree 4

21 minutes ago, SassyPants said:

Puke, pee, poop, I’m good. But respiratory secretions bother me. And people who spit in public, so gross.

Totally agree on spitting in public.  NASTY! 🤢

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 1

3 hours ago, imokit said:

I'm a single adult.  I have waterproof mattress protectors on all the beds (including the guest beds), just because life, periods, water spills happen and a mattress protector is easier to wash than a mattress.

Also a single adult, with mattress protectors on my own bed, my guest bed, and, when in use, a couple of twin air mattresses (for guests, and one's actually currently semi-permanently standing in for an office couch I have yet to purchase). At least half of it is to help keep memory foam toppers firmly in place on top of the bed or air mattress, but also they help keep dust and anything else unpleasant off of the mattress and keep dust mites (to which I am violently allergic) away from ME/the sleeper. 

Edited by metheglyn
site fought me and I double posted
  • Upvote 7

Hannah's dress will be a Miss Renee construction - surrrrrrprise! Looks like the 4 other single Wissmann sisters are her bridesmaids, not sure if anyone else will be on her side - may a couple Wissmann SILs? or even Duggar-side SILs? 

We're pretty confident that wedding website is legit? I rarely believe those things, but this one seems to have photos of the couple that we haven't seen before. So March 26, I guess. 

• Upvote 3

On 1/19/2022 at 1:02 PM, Meggo said:

Word - I'm a sympathy puker. You puke - I will puke right alongside you. Solidarity.

I don't usually actually throw up, strong stomach generally, but cleaning up vomit definitely makes me gag. It's so much fun having kids with motion sickness with that reaction!

And I don't think getting a waterproof mattress pad is that weird. All it takes is one spill or stomach virus with poor timing and you have a miserable cleaning job ahead if it gets down to the mattress.

• Upvote 3

6 minutes ago, NotQuiteMotY said:

And I don't think getting a waterproof mattress pad is that weird.

I don't think buying one for yourself is weird. I think requesting one on a gift registry is what's weird.

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 6

Miss Renee must give a hell of a discount if they are prepared to go to Kentucky and TLC aren’t footing the bill. I suppose she reckons that they still have a lot of social media followers so it’s worth it.

• Upvote 6

1 hour ago, Idlewild said:

Miss Renee must give a hell of a discount if they are prepared to go to Kentucky and TLC aren’t footing the bill. I suppose she reckons that they still have a lot of social media followers so it’s worth it.

It's a 12 hour drive. That's one crazy drive for a wedding dress.

CO2 emission for 24 hours on the road: Half a tonne. Well fucking done, idiots. 

• Upvote 8

9 hours ago, justmy2cents said:

I don't think buying one for yourself is weird. I think requesting one on a gift registry is what's weird.

I agree with this. It reminds me of my former sister in law who had an orange fluffy toilet seat cover and pedestal mat on her bridal registry. To go in a green bathroom. No way was I buying them that!

• Haha 10

9 hours ago, justmy2cents said:

I agree in theory but these people move from a kind of extended adolescent existence into instant adulthood. It seems like they use the registry to full stock a home from scratch, which I guess is what it was used for back in the day but nowadays I'm far more used to people asking for 'nice' things (a good crockery set or expensive matching towels) rather than 'everyday' things that they probably already owned from their previous adulting lives. They've never had occasion to buy a mattress protector before. Maybe they were brainstorming everything you need to make up a bed, and included mattress protector along with the more normal request of linens.

• Upvote 7

10 hours ago, justmy2cents said:

I'm with @AprilQuilt here. They may not have any linens that are theirs instead of "family closet" type, or not for the size bed they're buying/receiving. My husband and I were basically setting up a household from scratch with the exception of hand-me-down dishes and a few other odds and ends when we get married, so our registry looked a little odd, too.

Besides, for all we know, they picked that pad for the price point or the reviews or because it was the first one that popped up rather than for the waterproof nature of it!

• Upvote 1

I guess I'm an oddball. I am not bothered at all by basic, un-fancy, needs on the registry, especially for people who have never ever had their own home. I would much rather buy someone something practical that they actually need than a single place setting of some expensive china that will hardly ever get used. But I grew up in a time before registries when my mom would give newly-weds a new laundry basket full of household cleaners and paper products and it was always very well received. I remember family members talking about doing "Poundings" 😳🤭 where everryone would bring a pound of kitchen things like flour, butter etc. to get the kitchen pantry filled. One other benefit to little things like bath mats and toilet scrubbers is a big variety in item cost. I would be a lot of the families invited to these weddings don't have a huge budget for wedding gifts since they are probably invited to half a dozen weddings a month. ha

I am also a big fan of really random fun things on registries for people with set-up households. I love buying board games or camping gear off a registry.

• Upvote 15
  • I Agree 9
  • Thank You 1
  • Love 2

5 hours ago, SorenaJ said:

It's a 12 hour drive. That's one crazy drive for a wedding dress.

CO2 emission for 24 hours on the road: Half a tonne. Well fucking done, idiots. 

Or they flew, which I think is even worse. Cause I heard there's a pilot in the house, if you're feeling brave. 

• Haha 9

8 minutes ago, Grace said:

I guess I'm an oddball. I am not bothered at all by basic, un-fancy, needs on the registry, especially for people who have never ever had their own home. I would much rather buy someone something practical that they actually need than a single place setting of some expensive china that will hardly ever get used. But I grew up in a time before registries when my mom would give newly-weds a new laundry basket full of household cleaners and paper products and it was always very well received. I remember family members talking about doing "Poundings" 😳🤭 where everryone would bring a pound of kitchen things like flour, butter etc. to get the kitchen pantry filled. One other benefit to little things like bath mats and toilet scrubbers is a big variety in item cost. I would be a lot of the families invited to these weddings don't have a huge budget for wedding gifts since they are probably invited to half a dozen weddings a month. ha

I am also a big fan of really random fun things on registries for people with set-up households. I love buying board games or camping gear off a registry.

Wedding registries fascinate me. I have a high school friend who got married SOOOOO young - 19 ish? And I remember they had 3 implements on their registry to make poached eggs. Each was a slightly different method of it (stove top, microwave etc) and I remember thinking "Wow - they must really love those eggs..." 

I like to use registries (of close friends) as a thought starter. You asked for board games? Here's a game - and then maybe a few big snack bowls and some fancy popcorn toppers etc. But lately all the weddings that have happened in the last 10 years have been random cousins I barely know - so they get a pot. Or their towels. blah. Needed but not fun.

• Upvote 5

4 minutes ago, Meggo said:

Wedding registries fascinate me. I have a high school friend who got married SOOOOO young - 19 ish? And I remember they had 3 implements on their registry to make poached eggs. Each was a slightly different method of it (stove top, microwave etc) and I remember thinking "Wow - they must really love those eggs..." 

Registry economics is so messed up--when your friends get married at 19 or 20, they need everything and their classmates can't afford to give them much. (I remember giving 1 spoon, or 1 plate!). When they get married at 30, they don't need much, yet their peers often have more $$ and can give a whole place setting!

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 3

11 minutes ago, HereticHick said:

Registry economics is so messed up--when your friends get married at 19 or 20, they need everything and their classmates can't afford to give them much. (I remember giving 1 spoon, or 1 plate!). When they get married at 30, they don't need much, yet their peers often have more $$ and can give a whole place setting!

When a friend in my college group of friends got married, we were all going into our senior year of college and poor as hell. So we all had to pool our money together to get something nice for them. 

• Upvote 4

9 minutes ago, HereticHick said:

That's when your friend group's parents are likely also your parents' friend group so they provide the gifts. Ha. A friend of mine got a call from her mom asking what So-and-so got her for her wedding a few years past because So-and-so's daughter was getting married and she wanted to make sure to get the same level of gift 🤣

20 minutes ago, Meggo said:

I like to use registries (of close friends) as a thought starter. You asked for board games? Here's a game - and then maybe a few big snack bowls and some fancy popcorn toppers etc. But lately all the weddings that have happened in the last 10 years have been random cousins I barely know - so they get a pot. Or their towels. blah. Needed but not fun.

I love doing themed gifts.

• Upvote 3

Just now, Grace said:

That's when your friend group's parents are likely also your parents' friend group so they provide the gifts. Ha. A friend of mine got a call from her mom asking what So-and-so got her for her wedding a few years past because So-and-so's daughter was getting married and she wanted to make sure to get the same level of gift 🤣

I love doing themed gifts.

And when I threw a baby shower for my cousin - her mom had an invite list that was LITERALLY every woman she knew and all of their daughters. Regardless of if the mom to be knew them. (and Mom to be had final veto power so I got to deal with crabby grandma to be that Shirley and her 45 year old daughter weren't invited to the shower - because Grandma to be had been invited to Shirley's daughters baby shower 25 years ago...) There is definitely some measure of "keeping score" in her generation.

• Upvote 2

My aunt always gave picnic baskets as wedding gifts, because it’s fun to have one, but people never buy them for themselves. (However, they do take up space and not everyone is into eating outdoors.)

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, Meggo said:

And when I threw a baby shower for my cousin - her mom had an invite list that was LITERALLY every woman she knew and all of their daughters. Regardless of if the mom to be knew them. (and Mom to be had final veto power so I got to deal with crabby grandma to be that Shirley and her 45 year old daughter weren't invited to the shower - because Grandma to be had been invited to Shirley's daughters baby shower 25 years ago...) There is definitely some measure of "keeping score" in her generation.

I would consider it a gift if I wasn’t invited some random woman’s baby shower! 

• I Agree 10

• nelliebelle1197 locked this topic