IGNORED

Maxwell 51: Empty Nesters, Empty Vesters? End of an Era

Coconut Flan

On 12/10/2021 at 12:33 AM, usmcmom said:

My son is a veteran now. Thanks for thinking of him. He will always be so close to his brothers in uniform. 

I believe it.  My husband was a Marine a million years ago (Vietnam) and he loves talking to other Marines, young and old, watching anything on t.v. about the Marines, books about the Marines, etc.

I've learned there's no such thing as an ex-Marine.  Once a Marine always a Marine.

• Love 8

On 12/4/2021 at 3:40 PM, Caroline said:

This annoys me too along with the so obviously fake snow.  That bugs me so much since I know what real snow is supposed to look like.  I also know that deciduous trees LOSE their leaves in winter, and Hallmark movies never seem to portray that.  Lots of summer like foliage with horrible fake snow.  It's such a turn off.  And what's with young professionals just starting out in their careers always living in very expensive apartments with lots of expensive furniture?  They're all too good-looking too.  Bah, Humbug!

Have you seen the car commercial that takes place somewhere in the southwest, palm trees and lots of red sand - where the Dad gets a snow machine and puts it on the roof, and covers the yard with snow.  The Mom drives up with the kids who are amazed to see snow.  Ummmmmm, snow melts in warm weather, and these kids have on warm weather clothes.  I come from a state that has snow skiing, so I know that the snow making machines only work when the temp is freezing.   I know that some areas of the southwest do get snow, but this home and subdivision don't appear to be at a higher elevation.    I also notice the fake snow on the green leaves of trees and bushes - drives me nuts to see this.    

• Upvote 1
  • I Agree 4

I have to comment and laugh a bit.  I live in southern California and we have "snow" making machines that work in 60 degree weather.  It's probably a wider range than that but it's usually around 60 when they bring them out.  They make "snow" at places like Sea World, public parks, and playgrounds.  Of course, the place or some sponsor group has to pay for it, but a civic group pays for "snow" a couple times a year in the winter at a nearby park and it lasts several hours.  The kids have a wonderful time with it.  Hopefully it can be back this winter.  I'm guessing many of the machines are used for filming also.  

• Upvote 6

6 hours ago, MamaJunebug said:

A little peekaboo keyhole for Anna and lacy, see-thru sleeves for Mary!  Also: not a square inch of denim in either skirt. I’m happy for them!!! 

Those dresses are actually really  cute. I'd wear the blue one minus the belt.

A little peekaboo keyhole for Anna and lacy, see-thru sleeves for Mary!  Also: not a square inch of denim in either skirt. I’m happy for them!!! 

Faking it in movies - Hallmark or otherwise?  When characters drink coffee.  Especially while walking.  It’s so obvious those cups are emptier than Teri’s Pepsi glass! 

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 15
  • I Agree 1

Seeing that picture on FB brings such a leap of joy to my heart! I want to yell “GET IT, MaxGirls!” but then I just smile, misty eyed, and close my browser. 

• Upvote 7
  • Love 2

19 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

I bet they had lots of FUN at the Christmas banquet!

E9F2F272-798B-4E01-9784-E777B5CB1F20.jpeg

All four girls in this photo look so cute and so happy!  You'd never think that six months ago, two were trapped at home, waiting for suitors who never came.

I love the fact that Mary is wearing a bright color, and Anna is in black. No beige to be seen! 

• Upvote 14
  • I Agree 5
  • Love 1

That picture of Anna and Mary makes me feel really sad for Sarah.  She spent her 20s and 30s in Maxhell, first wearing frumpers then transitioned to long, mostly denim skirts while her sisters, still in their 20s, get to go to college, wear cute clothes, meet new friends, and even socialize with guys.  

I know she has moved out but you can't get back time.  

• Upvote 27
  • Sad 1
  • I Agree 16
  • Love 1

3 minutes ago, mydoggoskeeper said:

That picture of Anna and Mary makes me feel really sad for Sarah.  She spent her 20s and 30s in Maxhell, first wearing frumpers then transitioned to long, mostly denim skirts while her sisters, still in their 20s, get to go to college, wear cute clothes, meet new friends, and even socialize with guys.  

I know she has moved out but you can't get back time.  

I thought the same thing when they first left for college. Those two girls are so lucky they didn’t have to spend 20 years of their adult lives acting as Steve and Teri’s 3rd parent and live in servant. 

• Upvote 22

On 12/11/2021 at 6:33 PM, PennySycamore said:

I turned on Hallmark Movies and Mysteries last October when I realized that they did not show any campaign ads.  I was going to throw a brick through the TV is saw one more ad for Lyndsay Graham filled with lies about Jamie Harrison.  Keeping the TV on Hallmark or TCM kept me from having to see those damn ads.  Then I broke my wrist. The only Hallmark Christmas movie that drove me absolutely bonkers was Christmas at Graceland where they had snow in every scene in a film set in Memphis, Tennessee.  My daughter and her family live in one of the suburbs and they don't get that much snow.

They did in Jan of this year 😂

• Love 1

@treemom,  I know Memphis can get heavy snow and probably do at a greater frequency than we do here in upstate SC.  Memphis is about the same latitude as Asheville, NC.  When we have a lot of snow, it is not like this was pictured to be.  We get 8 inched to a foot all in one event and occasionally have another heavy snow a few days to a week later.  It sticks around.  This was not heavy snow, but a snow that would be gone in a day or two.  I thought it was just unrealistic for Memphis.  

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, PennySycamore said:

@treemom,  I know Memphis can get heavy snow and probably do at a greater frequency than we do here in upstate SC.  Memphis is about the same latitude as Asheville, NC.  When we have a lot of snow, it is not like this was pictured to be.  We get 8 inched to a foot all in one event and occasionally have another heavy snow a few days to a week later.  It sticks around.  This was not heavy snow, but a snow that would be gone in a day or two.  I thought it was just unrealistic for Memphis.  

I lived in Memphis for 23 years and now live just east of Lake Michigan. Hallmark movies showing any sort of accumulation is laughable. I was just joking about how tough that one snowfall was this year. 

• Haha 3

On 12/13/2021 at 11:45 AM, Howl said:

Please reveal location of "town of better boyfriends" :whistle:

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 7
  • I Agree 2

On 12/11/2021 at 3:58 PM, kpmom said:

I believe it.  My husband was a Marine a million years ago (Vietnam) and he loves talking to other Marines, young and old, watching anything on t.v. about the Marines, books about the Marines, etc.

I've learned there's no such thing as an ex-Marine.  Once a Marine always a Marine.

Yes, so true.  My brother was a lifelong Marine and loved the term "jarhead".  His wife/widow is retired Marine.  And my son is active duty, nearly 6 years in and going for 20.

• Upvote 2
  • Love 6

My mom was a Marine for 2 years starting in 1973. He was very proud of serving as a Marine, and always supported charities that helped Marine combat vets. 

Unfortunately, she served on those bases that had those chemicals dumped on them. Led to her developing amyloidosis that took her life. 

When she died, a bunch of Marine vets came to her service and gave me coins, which I thought was very sweet and meant a great deal to me. I know it would have meant a great deal to her. Definitely, once a Marine, always a Marine. Oorah. 

Edited by anjulibai
  • Love 20

On 12/11/2021 at 8:16 PM, JillRodsEyeliner said:

And no bulky undershirt!  That alone makes them look more "normal".  I also wish the bad posture would go away.

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 1

What a contrast the photo of Sarah at the concert and the ones of Anna and Mary at the banquet are to the last photo they published on the blog. Fly free, little SAHDs, and fly far.

Spoiler

image.thumb.png.83ca8828a072e9185700727d910239b4.png

• Upvote 13

On 12/20/2021 at 1:50 PM, Black Aliss said:

What a contrast the photo of Sarah at the concert and the ones of Anna and Mary at the banquet are to the last photo they published on the blog. Fly free, little SAHDs, and fly far.

Hide contents

image.thumb.png.83ca8828a072e9185700727d910239b4.png

So frumpy!

• Upvote 1

Happy Christmas!

I wonder if the Maxwells did their annual caroling thing with their reduced "crew". And if they did: who had to bake all those poppy seed loaves now Mary is gone?

• Upvote 9

I suspect they did not do Caroling and this is why Steve was pushing it in his Seriously emails this month. 

• Upvote 10

On 12/12/2021 at 10:00 AM, postscript said:

All four girls in this photo look so cute and so happy!  You'd never think that six months ago, two were trapped at home, waiting for suitors who never came.

I love the fact that Mary is wearing a bright color, and Anna is in black. No beige to be seen! 

They all look so darned beautiful!

• Upvote 3

11 hours ago, anjulibai said:

I suspect they did not do Caroling and this is why Steve was pushing it in his Seriously emails this month. 

A little keyhole here, a pair of lace sleeves there. No wonder Stevhova's panties were in a wad as he stewed and fretted over the plague of worldliness.

• Upvote 10

• Coconut Flan locked this topic