IGNORED

Maxwell 51: Empty Nesters, Empty Vesters? End of an Era

Coconut Flan

I totally get the appeal of hallmark Christmas movies. I have anxiety so I understand wanting to watch a movie where it’s fairly predictable and always wraps up perfectly in the end. It’s soothing. It’s not anxiety producing. Wanting to watch a relaxing movie around the holidays makes sense. The holidays can be so stressful. 

• Upvote 19
  • I Agree 3

13 hours ago, fundiefan said:

My sister in law & I spent all of Saturday morning watching & snarking on them. It was the most fun I've had watching tv in a long time. What predictions did we get right? What is this movie doing outside the formula? 

Even Hallmark is getting in on the fun.  They put out a holiday card with a bingo game where the squares are predictable scenarios from the movies.  I got one for an elderly, home-bound friend who truly loves those movies.

And i agree about Candace Camron Bure. 🤢

ETA: Just realized @MomJeans also mentioned the bingo card.  That's what I get for answering before reading the responses.

Well at least Hallmark has a sense of humor about these movies.

Edited by kpmom
  • Upvote 7
  • Haha 3

I'm going to admit to enjoying Hallmark Christmas movies a few times a year. Totally not a fundie.  

After about 2-3 of them, I'm done.  Mostly they are nice for the days when I'm working at home and like a little background noise etc.

• Upvote 7

14 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

I wonder if Anna and Mary have discovered Hallmark Christmas movies. Fundie females in their 20s seem to love those cheesefests of predictability. 

I can totally see gathering around the dorm lounge tv with hot chocolate being a huuuuge thing for the ABC girls. In my dorm, the girls gathered around for bootleg Cinemax After Dark. 😁

• Upvote 6
  • Haha 3
  • Thank You 1

3 minutes ago, HereticHick said:

I can totally see gathering around the dorm lounge tv with hot chocolate being a huuuuge thing for the ABC girls. In my dorm, the girls gathered around for bootleg Cinemax After Dark. 😁

And I am picturing Sarah at her cozy new place, cuddled up with one of her favorite coffees and watching one while hoping dear old Dad doesn't drop by! 😄

• Upvote 6
  • Love 2

4 minutes ago, Formerlyjeansonly17 said:

And I am picturing Sarah at her cozy new place, cuddled up with one of her favorite coffees and watching one while hoping dear old Dad doesn't drop by! 😄

And if he does, she can just shut her laptop. I’m imagining that’s where she would watch most shows/movies. Steve approves of computers. Therefore she’s not really breaking his rules. 

• Upvote 8

11 minutes ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

And if he does, she can just shut her laptop. I’m imagining that’s where she would watch most shows/movies. Steve approves of computers. Therefore she’s not really breaking his rules. 

True.  But I wonder if they still have accountability software on her laptop? 🙄

• Upvote 1
  • Sad 1

6 minutes ago, Formerlyjeansonly17 said:

Maybe she will put up a Linux partition on the computer like Josh Duggar so she can watch Hallmark movies 😒

• Upvote 2
  • Rufus Bless 2
  • Haha 23
  • Thank You 1

On 11/30/2021 at 10:37 AM, fundiewatch said:

I’ve always assumed Sarah is in an apartment or condo. She doesn’t love yard work and is a single woman approaching 40. I think she met people in her church who were like-minded and like-aged living on their own. And now she’s doing the same. I’m more interested in her story and journey than the others, but I love that she’s not giving it to us. She had to “love to write” for many years and she should sip her lattes and do what she pleases. I am so, so proud of her. My theory is that the girls were moving away to college after breaking away a bit with online classes, and Sarah had a big moment because she wasn’t moving away to college— she was just moving out. And that is 100% against what everyone said (because Steve said) about accountability, and the ability to say you’re pure. It’s a bigger move for independence than almost any fundie I can think of. Some Richardson sisters did, but their parents supported it clearly. I do not think that the Maxes did. I also think that’s Sarah’s extended recovery from the concussion involved her being able to bring emotions up with a variety of people. She probably complete depression screenings, just different words and ideas. And sometimes once you see the world differently, you can’t just stay while your sisters sail off to new horizons. 

Oh a condo would be good for her for all the points you brought up! I love looking at homes and so I searched for condos near Leavenworth and found this complex in Tonganoxie - this is a 3 bed/2bath option but the complex appears to have 2/1 options too:  https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/1304-E-Joles-Dr-Tonganoxie-KS-66086/2079072300_zpid/

or this one in overland park: https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/10716-Glenwood-St-APT-D-Overland-Park-KS-66211/75668199_zpid/ 

• Upvote 2
  • Thank You 1

If Steve had an IPhone and I was his daughter, I’d be slapping that find my friends app on his phone. I’d be tracking his movements in prep for him “dropping by” uninvited-

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 9

7 hours ago, IsmeWeatherwax said:

@Alisamer go for it! I have 3 tattoos and 4 piercings. I had my tatts done at ages, 23, 35 and 44. My piercings were at ages, 6, 14, 22 and 44! I turned 44 in June and seem to be having a midlife crisis 😂. Im the only one of my 5 siblings that has had work done. My newest piercings were done last friday. Ive had the Daith done in both ears (to help with migraine, no medical evidence it works) Ive wanted them done for years but after a 4 day migraine last week Id had enough.

I really want a Daith, too. At some point I'm just going to go and do it. 

My current debate is which side of nose to pierce. I know most people do left, but I'm thinking right. I sleep more often on my right side so when I get around to getting the extra ear piercings I want, more will be on the left side to make healing easier. So I'm thinking a right side nose piercing will help balance that. 

18 minutes ago, SassyPants said:

If Steve had an IPhone and I was his daughter, I’d be slapping that find my friends app on his phone. I’d be tracking his movements in prep for him “dropping by” uninvited-

Yep. I'm still trying to get my sister to make me a doormat that says "did you text first?"

Sarah needs one of those. Or better - to call Teri and have her schedule Steve's 15 minute visit ahead of time. I'd then make that 15 minutes be dog-walking time so Steve would be out of her house, in public, and there'd be Ellie as a distraction. It'd make spending time with him more tolerable.

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 1

12 hours ago, jegfile said:

My father, 79 years old

My hubs, a 77-year-old CPA, lives for Dancing with the Stars and has watched every show every single season from Day 1.  

• Upvote 1
  • Love 7

21 hours ago, MomJeans said:

As for Hallmark movies, just have to share that the oddest fan of Hallmark Christmas movies has to be my dad, who only watches serious war movies and Hallmark Christmas movies.  10 months of the year it's Patton, or Ken Burn's Vietnam War Documentary, but the moment Hallmark starts airing Christmas movies, he literally prints out the schedule, circles the ones he plans to watch, and pulls out his "Hallmark Christmas Movie Hot Chocolate Mug" in anticipation.

I bought him Hallmark Christmas movie bingo cards as a joke, and instead he screenshots them to all of us when he gets a Bingo.

Throw in classic movies in black and white and you've described my dad. I legit just looked up Hallmark bingo cards because it would be a great Christmas gift but none available for shipping☹️ 

• Love 3

42 minutes ago, Babysitter said:

Throw in classic movies in black and white and you've described my dad. I legit just looked up Hallmark bingo cards because it would be a great Christmas gift but none available for shipping☹️ 

Etsy has them!!!  I highly recommend dry erase ones, as otherwise I would have had to buy my dad more, as he likes to write on his.

CLEARANCE Hallmark Christmas Movie Bingo Re-usable Dry Erase | Etsy

https://www.etsy.com/listing/858281398/clearance-hallmark-christmas-movie-bingo?ref=yr_purchases

• Upvote 1
  • Thank You 4

I don’t watch Hallmark movies but I enjoy the sentimental cheese that Netflix puts out this time of year. I liked that Bingo card. The one square about someone going outside in the cold without proper outer ware is something that, for whatever reason, really annoys me on tv and movies. If it’s cold enough for there to be snow outside, it’s cold enough to wear a hat, and hats should cover ears because ears get cold. Somehow nobody on tv ever does this. I don’t know why. Maybe because if they were properly bundled up for snowy weather you wouldn’t be able to see the characters faces and they wouldn’t be able to hear the directors cues? Or because lots of things film in warm places like LA and people don’t know about layering up lest you freeze?

• Upvote 4

52 minutes ago, anachronistic said:

I don’t watch Hallmark movies but I enjoy the sentimental cheese that Netflix puts out this time of year. I liked that Bingo card. The one square about someone going outside in the cold without proper outer ware is something that, for whatever reason, really annoys me on tv and movies. If it’s cold enough for there to be snow outside, it’s cold enough to wear a hat, and hats should cover ears because ears get cold. Somehow nobody on tv ever does this. I don’t know why. Maybe because if they were properly bundled up for snowy weather you wouldn’t be able to see the characters faces and they wouldn’t be able to hear the directors cues? Or because lots of things film in warm places like LA and people don’t know about layering up lest you freeze?

I don’t think they ever actually shoot their movies when it’s cold. So if they bundle up and it’s 65 degrees out, there would be a lot of sweating. At least that’s my guess.

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 5

On 11/30/2021 at 4:43 PM, Zee said:

Except the college rules forbid unnatural hair colours 

Nothing wrong with conservative beliefs I was merely saying that although they are certainly living outside of the family rules they are not really meeting new beliefs and many of the rules are the same. They still have schedules. They still have rules about clothes and where to be when. 

They can pick up a Newsweek magazine at the off-campus convenience store or browse a New York Times at the public library. Heck, maybe even in the campus library. Depending on how courageously the school Librarians stuck to a code of preserving and offering knowledge! 

• Upvote 3

They can drink Pepsi, eat as many meat-filled burritos as they want, sleep in on Saturday morning, and even skip Bible time if they want to do so.  To me the relief of being out from under Steve's insane rules must by itself be eye opening.  I wonder if their first mission trip without Steve started them on this course with the first taste of a bit of freedom.

• Upvote 12
  • I Agree 3

On 12/1/2021 at 6:52 AM, JermajestyDuggar said:

I totally get the appeal of hallmark Christmas movies. I have anxiety so I understand wanting to watch a movie where it’s fairly predictable and always wraps up perfectly in the end. It’s soothing. It’s not anxiety producing. Wanting to watch a relaxing movie around the holidays makes sense. The holidays can be so stressful. 

The cheesy Christmas movies got a huge boost in popularity since 2020 was so stressful. 2021 isn't much of an improvement so the movies will be popular again.

• I Agree 8

On 12/1/2021 at 6:42 AM, HereticHick said:
On 11/30/2021 at 3:56 PM, JermajestyDuggar said:

I wonder if Anna and Mary have discovered Hallmark Christmas movies. Fundie females in their 20s seem to love those cheesefests of predictability. 

It warms my heart just to imagine Mary and Anna and a bunch of other girls in their pajamas, watching Hallmark movies in the dorm lounge.

On 12/1/2021 at 7:04 AM, Formerlyjeansonly17 said:

I think she'd have to be on the same network for that to work. Didn't Teri mention that the married sons all had Covenant Eyes, or whatever they used on their home networks, so their wives could monitor them?

• Upvote 3

12 minutes ago, Black Aliss said:

It warms my heart just to imagine Mary and Anna and a bunch of other girls in their pajamas, watching Hallmark movies in the dorm lounge.

I think she'd have to be on the same network for that to work. Didn't Teri mention that the married sons all had Covenant Eyes, or whatever they used on their home networks, so their wives could monitor them?

I hope none of the sons got advice from Josh Duggar on how to circumvent CE.

• Upvote 6

On 12/2/2021 at 8:52 AM, anachronistic said:

The one square about someone going outside in the cold without proper outer ware is something that, for whatever reason, really annoys me on tv and movies. If it’s cold enough for there to be snow outside, it’s cold enough to wear a hat, and hats should cover ears because ears get cold.

This annoys me too along with the so obviously fake snow.  That bugs me so much since I know what real snow is supposed to look like.  I also know that deciduous trees LOSE their leaves in winter, and Hallmark movies never seem to portray that.  Lots of summer like foliage with horrible fake snow.  It's such a turn off.  And what's with young professionals just starting out in their careers always living in very expensive apartments with lots of expensive furniture?  They're all too good-looking too.  Bah, Humbug!

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 11
  • Love 2

5 hours ago, Caroline said:

And what's with young professionals just starting out in their careers always living in very expensive apartments with lots of expensive furniture?  They're all too good-looking too.  Bah, Humbug!

Improbably cute and well-behaved Kids off Mah Lawn, too!!!

I haven’t been inside a Hallmark store in years but definitely should go, just to see if any of their merch shows up in the outlandishly holiday-decorated houses!

Last night the long-lost daughter’s guest room accommodations in her bio-dad’s mansion included a thick, lavish lighted garland on both the headboard and footboard of the bed! Because that’s what we all do, right: Decorate places where we sleep? With our eyes closed?

Srsly, I love Hallmark holiday movies. I love identifying the major movie stars that the Hallmark acting troupe resemble. Someone calls them “the Great Value [famous name].” 

Snarky fun is good fun. 

Edited by MamaJunebug
  • Upvote 7

5 hours ago, SPHASH said:

I hope none of the sons got advice from Josh Duggar on how to circumvent CE.

I hope none of them needed that advice

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 2

• Coconut Flan locked this topic