IGNORED

Maxwell 51: Empty Nesters, Empty Vesters? End of an Era

Coconut Flan

29 minutes ago, Tatar-tot said:

One thing about the Maxwell home school is the kids received a bunch better education than the most families. None of the kids are fools and the boys are gainfully employed.

I think she is holding her hair. 

I was looking at the picture again and was about to post that, too. 

• Upvote 5

1 hour ago, Tatar-tot said:

I think she is holding her hair. 

Darn it, I think you're right.  I thought we were looking at a " o.k. to touch" courtship.

• Upvote 6

5 hours ago, kpmom said:

Darn it, I think you're right.  I thought we were looking at a " o.k. to touch" courtship.

But they are still clearly standing close enough to be touching, so that is a plus.  Steve's head is probably exploding.  

Edited by Queen Of Hearts
  • Upvote 4
  • Haha 5

When I first read Sarah's final blog entry, I was really sad that we wouldn't get to see or hear anything about the Maxwell women escaping Maxhell.

Little did I know that this random bible college would have our backs. 😆 

• Upvote 8
  • Haha 33

Oh no, our latest family discussion topic is being better and conversation and the parental units dug up the maxwell 'better conversationalists' book.  I doubt we'll read any of their awful scripted conversations though.  We'd revolt before doing that again.

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 2

A happy and healthy new year everyone!

Swift Otter's FB brings us Elissa in pants, with highlights and seemingly unpregnant.

https://m.facebook.com/SwiftOtterInc/photos/a.779113462491966/1374909879578985/?type=3&source=48&__tn__=EH-R

Also, Anna, too, wore lace sleeves for the Christmas banquet. 

Edited by BabiesForBucks
  • Upvote 8
  • Thank You 17
  • Love 2

1 hour ago, BabiesForBucks said:

A happy and healthy new year everyone!

Swift Otter's FB brings us Elissa in pants, with highlights and seemingly unpregnant.

https://m.facebook.com/SwiftOtterInc/photos/a.779113462491966/1374909879578985/?type=3&source=48&__tn__=EH-R

Also, Anna, too, wore lace sleeves for the Christmas banquet. 

And contrasting buttons on the dress. (Were Steve and Terrie nutty about young children’s buttons too or was that just reserved for older hussies?)

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 9

I’m glad to see Elyssa doesn’t have a bump. I’m hoping Chelsy or AnnaPatrice are the only ones with bumps this year. Because I think there’s a decent chance both of them will have one. 

• Upvote 9

On 1/2/2022 at 4:45 PM, kpmom said:

Oh, I bet they've touched, and that it's not even a courtship. I hope Anna isn't sad that Mary has a boyfriend and she doesn't. 

• Upvote 2

11 hours ago, Black Aliss said:

Oh, I bet they've touched, and that it's not even a courtship. I hope Anna isn't sad that Mary has a boyfriend and she doesn't. 

So you think they’re engaged?

Regarding Anna, it wouldn’t surprise me if she ends up with someone there at ABC  Maybe a grad student.  Or do they not have a graduate program?

• Upvote 3

I doubt they are engaged. I could see them having a long courtship. Maybe I just think this because college is already so new, that jumping into getting engaged seems like a lot for a relatively short period of time. 

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 3

I have one burning question for the Maxwells and that is who is paying for college? I'm not sure Steve would pay for college after refusing it to the 6 other children (and railing about it for over 30 years). Self-funding their studies is  a possibility since they've been working from home for several years with low expenses. Anna in particular could have saved up quite a bit.

It would be really significant if the girls left the fathership as financially independent adults. It's a huge mental shift to stop depending on your parents financially - you start rethinking parental influence in all other areas of life. For their sake, I hope it's the case.

• Upvote 8
  • I Agree 1

43 minutes ago, usedbicycle said:

Anna in particular could have saved up quite a bit.

Assuming they were paid a fair wage for their work, and it wasn't just expected of them in exchange for bed and board.

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 4

@rosamundi I forgot about Titus 2, I was mainly thinking about the work they did for their brothers. But it's totally possible they were being paid well below market rate for customer support / bookkeeping etc. And I highly doubt any babysitting was ever paid... so you have a point.

• Upvote 7

23 hours ago, BabiesForBucks said:

Swift Otter's FB brings us Elissa in pants

Whoa, those look to be skinny jeans or jeggings.  Go, Elissa! 

Their daughter is wearing a little frumper with leggings, though, so there's that. 

• Upvote 4

6 minutes ago, Howl said:

Whoa, those look to be skinny jeans or jeggings.  Go, Elissa! 

Their daughter is wearing a little frumper with leggings, though, so there's that. 

I’ve seen Calia in mainstream clothing though. She might have thought the dress was cute for a picture. But I’ve seen her in ordinary pants and shirts.

• Upvote 8
  • I Agree 1

4 hours ago, kpmom said:

So you think they’re engaged?

Regarding Anna, it wouldn’t surprise me if she ends up with someone there at ABC  Maybe a grad student.  Or do they not have a graduate program?

Nope. I don't think they are engaged or even courting. Possibly dating with a purpose, like John and Chelsy.

• Upvote 1
  • I Agree 1
  • Thank You 3

We don’t actually know anything about Mary and this guy. They could just be standing next to each other by chance, right? Aren’t we making rather a lot of assumptions about them? 

• Upvote 4
  • Haha 2
  • I Agree 2
  • Thank You 5

22 hours ago, Mrs Ms said:

And contrasting buttons on the dress. (Were Steve and Terrie nutty about young children’s buttons too or was that just reserved for older hussies?)

Please let that have only applied to actual women. I get really upset when people, fundy or otherwise, sexualize little girls that way.

21 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

I’m glad to see Elyssa doesn’t have a bump. I’m hoping Chelsy or AnnaPatrice are the only ones with bumps this year. Because I think there’s a decent chance both of them will have one. 

I'm hoping against all hope that neither of them do and that it's by choice, not bad fortune.

20 minutes ago, mango_fandango said:

We don’t actually know anything about Mary and this guy. They could just be standing next to each other by chance, right? Aren’t we making rather a lot of assumptions about them? 

It's a "by chance" that happens rather frequently. And unless both Mary and that guy were nursing inuries in that 5K their pace suggests they were, how to say this, not feeling at all competitive that day. 

49 minutes ago, Howl said:

Could be a gift from Teri or a hand-me-down from Anna Marie's girls. Or just something Calia wanted to wear. IIRC, she is at that "dresses-only" age.

Edited by Black Aliss
  • Upvote 7
  • Love 4

10 minutes ago, Black Aliss said:

I'm hoping against all hope that neither of them do and that it's by choice, not bad fortune.

I would love that. But when it comes to Chelsy especially, I have zero hope of her having any common sense when it comes to childbearing. She’s shown us she refuses to follow medical advice for NICU babies born during a pandemic. I’m sure she will do what she has always done. Even at the expense of her children's lives. 

• Upvote 5
  • Sad 1
  • I Agree 3

21 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

I’m hoping Chelsy or AnnaPatrice are the only ones with bumps this year. Because I think there’s a decent chance both of them will have one. 

Celia Craig, Anna's sister is getting married next month to Joseph Mieczkowski.  Maybe we'll get a glimpse of some Maxwells if wedding pictures are posted.  The Bontragers are friends with the Craigs so perhaps we'll see them too.  

• Upvote 9
  • Thank You 2

Just now, petrushka said:

Celia Craig, Anna's sister is getting married next month to Joseph Mieczkowski.  Maybe we'll get a glimpse of some Maxwells if wedding pictures are posted.  The Bontragers are friends with the Craigs so perhaps we'll see them too.  

I bet Chelsy, John, Anna and Jesse will go. All wearing no masks and passing the NICU baby around. 

• Upvote 5
  • Sad 2
  • I Agree 4

@Black Aliss ah ok, I didn’t realise there were other pictures of them together!

Whatever the case may be, I hope Anna and Mary are happy and enjoying their time at college. 

• I Agree 7

Mary Maxwell is FB friends with Samuel Hock's parents Keith and Wendy, missionaries to Uruguay.

They still could be just good friends and A and M could have come to know the family through their international missions adventures.

Though Steve M could not grasp the concept of a man and a woman being just friends.

• Upvote 12
  • Thank You 2

Here's what the school handbook says about dating:

Appalachian Bible College believes that there are direct scriptural commands related to moral conduct, and that as a Bible college we should uphold those standards. The Bible restricts sexual activity to marriage between a man and a woman. Thus fornication, adultery, incest, sexual abuse of a minor, homosexuality, indecent exposure, sexual harassment, and other such activities are forbidden. It is in order to protect purity of Christian testimony in this area that the following guidelines are required.

1. Socializing

Spending time together with the opposite gender in order to build relationships. Inappropriate locations for socializing are the classrooms, Library and Anderson Hall. This includes the residence hall lounge areas before 5:00 pm on weekdays. Students should avoid remote or secluded areas, on or off campus which includes the Gilmore weight room, parked cars, dimly lighted areas. Couples are not allowed to be in the vicinity of the Alpine Camp area after dark without permission.

2. Display of Affection

There is to be no display of affection through physical contact (including holding hands) on the part of non-married couples on or off campus. Physical contact between members of the same gender must be within the bounds of biblically acceptable behavior.

3. Mixed Groups

Three or more persons of both genders gathered together.

In general students are permitted to socialize in groups of three or more at all appropriate occasions and appropriate locations, on campus or off campus. Special permission is needed in advance for mixed groups to be in a home by themselves. Mixed groups are allowed overnights only in homes where a parent or deanapproved host is present. 

4. Couples

Any male and female, dating or non-dating, alone together. This does not include brother and sister, or married students.

On Campus Dating couples must sit apart in the classroom and in chapel services.

Off Campus Socializing as couples off campus without a third party is not allowed except for students in their fifth semester or more here at ABC. A student of more than two years here at ABC who socializes with a student of less than two years must adhere to the policies set forth for students with less than two years. Couples may not be by themselves in any home.

Commuter Students - Students living off campus. Students in this category should be aware of the regulations that apply to those living on campus, and seek to comply with the “spirit” or overall intent of those rules. Single student commuters who are not living with parents must receive permission from the Student Deans before hosting mixed groups or any members of the opposite gender in their home. Residence Hall students are also responsible to ensure that proper permission has been obtained.

Divorced Students

Divorced persons will not be permitted to date other ABC students while they are students at Appalachian Bible College.

Engagements

Because Scripture presents marriage as a sacred bond lasting until death, it should be entered only with careful forethought and extensive prayer. The student deans are willing to offer counseling and encouragement for those who are thinking about engagement. After an engagement has been announced, the couple must make an appointment with the Dean of Students to discuss their plans.

Marriages

In order to allow time for proper adjustments, students who marry within two months of returning to classes or during the school year must receive permission from the Dean of Students before making plans.

Unpopular opinion: I see finding a partner for fundie woman as being rather limiting. Usually they have a new headship before they've fully escaped the old one. Yes, Anna and Mary have left Steve's house, but they're still under the headship of a very strict bible college. Mary in particular is young, and has many years ahead of her. I would like for her to have more time to figure out things.

• Upvote 8
  • I Agree 2

• Coconut Flan locked this topic